[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm in a /co/ mood right now, is Mutants and Masterminds
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: 1449029409554.jpg (326 KB, 900x625) Image search: [Google]
1449029409554.jpg
326 KB, 900x625
I'm in a /co/ mood right now, is Mutants and Masterminds still the best super hero ttrpg? I have 3rd edition. I'm most likely going to be DMing btw
>>
>>46487831
As long as you go through character sheets and know when to reject parts or all of it.
>>
File: 1273103829552[1].jpg (208 KB, 858x756) Image search: [Google]
1273103829552[1].jpg
208 KB, 858x756
>>46487964
>rejecting a player's ideas
You sir are a pox on creativity.
>>
>>46487831

M&M was never the best superhero rpg. Champions has always held that distinction.
>>
>>46490402
Dude naw, M&M character creation is absolutely game breaking if you don't veto problematic builds.
>>
>>46490819
This. It's got more depth than anyone knows what to do with, and because of that it's heaven for rules nerds. Plus creating powers is easier, if only because you have more discrete options to build off of.
>>
>>46490840
Alternatively, let them have a broken in half build. Put it in your setting.

What are some of the broken ones? I always hear people saying "mutants and masterminds has some broken builds," but I've yet to see it
>>
If you actually want comic book/superhero narrative instead of the more traditional M&M/Champions/HERO stuff, I'd recommend Worlds in Peril.
>>
>>46490979
Super speed. Take enough of it and you can complete actions in, like, an eightieth of a second or something. While that's not itself game-breaking because it still fits within the turn-based system, you can get up to some real hijinks there.
>>
>>46490979
I have a player with super strength, super speed, teleportation, immortality, flight, and lightning powers. He also has an alternate form that pumps everything into stats to get 15's or so across the board in skills for when he needs to skill, as well as the inventor advantage with a 20 tech score so that he can build new equipment if he needs it.

It is entirely rules legal.
the only reason it works right now is because the player is good.
>>
>>46490979
Too much quickness. Immunity to everything. A too-powerful summon is probably problematic, but I haven't seen it in play.
>>
>>46490979
What >>46491435 says, "broken" in MNM is not Pun Pun like going off the scales in power, it's going off the scales in /breadth/. Basically being able to apply the best possible score within your PL cap to /anything/.
>>
>>46491999
>>46491195
I recall multiplication/clone power being kinda OP.
>>
>>46492821
Nah, the clones are nerfed as hell unless you pump a ton of extras and make it cost a lot per rank.

And then it's just "too powerful summon" with only distinction that the summon looks like you and you have to buy all the powers your summon has with the few points you have left after getting the summon.
>>
>>46490402
The archived Ball of Arms Man thread is something that I go back to in times of sadness to read and reread. It makes me very happy and I am so happy you posted this, Zack
>>
>>46490819
That's a funny way of spelling Wild Talents
>>
>>46487831
I'm partial to Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, but it's a bit harder to get, and it's very comic booky, while being pretty different from the tradition ttrpg style.
>>
>>46493250
>basic summon: 2p/rank
>Heroic: +2p/r
>16 clones: +4p/r
Yeah you won't really get far up clonespamming with that
>>
>>46493250
Pretty sure I actually used a too-powerful summon as a JoJo style Stand once.

It all went better than expected.
>>
>>46490402
It only took eight minutes for the powergamers to get in the thread. I am sad.
>>
>>46496037
Stands work out fine because they do all the lifting while your guy is doing poses. Things only get sketchy when you have both summons and yourself each acting as full power hero.

And even when the builds get sketchy, it's fine to have powergamed things if you play them reserved in order to maintain style.
>>
File: jojo petshop pose.gif (3 MB, 698x379) Image search: [Google]
jojo petshop pose.gif
3 MB, 698x379
>>46496666
>>46496037
>>
Wild Talents is also pretty nice, or if you want something a bit more pulpy and "rules medium" you could try Savage Worlds with the Superhero Companion or necessary Evil.
>>
>>46490979
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/9632490/
read it
>>
>>46497546
It's a meme joke build, not a broken build.
Extra limbs don't really DO anything big in the system.
You can grapple and do something else, yes, but you still need to spend points in other places in order have any grappling skill.
Punch to broken levels? Nope, you still have your regular damage effect and your regular accuracy, and you have to spend points on them in a regular way.

You know that saying, don't fear a man who practices a thousand kicks once, fear a man who practiced one kick a thousand times? That's the jam here.
>>
File: 1-dd603e3d9a.jpg (460 KB, 904x1242) Image search: [Google]
1-dd603e3d9a.jpg
460 KB, 904x1242
P A L L A D I U M

Palladium Heroes Unlimited is a fantastic RPG and very easy to pick up. Running two separate games right now, a high power game and a low power game. Definitely worth looking into.
>>
>>46497808

>>46493530
I'm not a fan of how they don't even try to balance the powers in Heroes Unlimited. Like how Superhuman Strength is just better than Extraordinary Physical Strength, but they're both minor powers.
That's kind of a buzzkill, though.
>>
>>46498113
Leave it up to the GM to balance it? Not that hard
>>
>>46487831
>not using GURPS for the ultimate in unreasonably powerful energy beam flinging bullshit
pfft
>>
>>46495909
>16 clones: +4 p/r
Not anymore in 3e. Each clone cost +2p/r
>>
>>46499190
Ah, I misremembered the cost of each rank of multiples.

So it's 4 clones for +4p/r, 8 clones for +6p/r, 16 clones for +8p/r

>>46498952
Doesn't excuse the system from having just plain stupid things in it.
>>
>>46498952
Not all GMs want to balance things. Some want to play by the rules in the book. Also, some just aren't good at balancing.
>>
>>46490402
So I'm guessing that older versions of M&M have different rules for Additional Limbs, like doubling total limbs? Because 3e says that you basically just get 1 more limb per rank.
>>
File: 2e value table.png (45 KB, 401x516) Image search: [Google]
2e value table.png
45 KB, 401x516
>>46500435
Yes, it goes by the Measures table.
>>
I prefer Champions/HERO system myself. If you get the program it makes number crunching a non-issue.
>>
>>46492821
My favorite character was John Q Public. No skills except multiplying himself, with enough points in it so that he could duplicate himself millions of times in combat.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.