[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Song of Swords: And this you shall perceive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
Last Time, on Song of Swords:
Fechtan
German Linguistics
Orichalcum Eyes
Night Land references?

Previous Thread: >46403014

Song of Swords is a realistic fantasy tabletop RPG that draws inspiration from historical fechtbuchs, weapons and armor. Its combat system is fast and it can be used for both fantasy and historical/mundane settings.

Call of the Void is a pulpy sci-fi tabletop RPG about fighting space-nazis and hunting giant whales with harpoons made out of the moon. Its combat system is more modern, based in the early 20th century, but can probably handle combat up to the present day.

Here's a .rar archive with the newest version of the rules as well as all related current working documents. At this time the latest version is v1.9.9:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/12xqm1p2q69m392/Song_of_Swords.rar

Here's a walkthrough on creating a character
http://paste2.org/aKfOBmWJ

Here's a walkthrough on weapon schools for SoS 1.9.9 with examples
http://paste2.org/6OyOsFM3

Here's Ballad of the Laser Whales' latest version: http://www.mediafire.com/download/545c97wvexj5aa1/CoTV+Ballad+of+the+Laser+Whales+Alpha+1.0.pdf

Here's a wiki detailing SoS's fantasy setting, getting filled up bit by bit as Jimmy reveals more details:
http://tattered-realms.wikia.com/wiki/Tattered_Realms_Wiki

There's also a roll20 room where new players are encouraged to try the rules, test new rules, and find game breaking issues: https://app.roll20.net/join/346755/hRKd4w
The room might be empty, but the people who teach the game still browse the thread frequently. If you're looking to learn, post here in the thread. We also play Guy Windsor's card game Audatia in the room.
>>
File: Zells_Invade_Illegon.jpg (130 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
Zells_Invade_Illegon.jpg
130 KB, 960x960
Tuesdays suck.
>>
So, if I want to run a modern-ish (say 80's) game focussed on operators operating operationally, is call of the void a thing that would work for me, or would I be better off with gurps? I've only ever casually skimmed these threads, so I'm not really sure what the strengths and weaknesses of the system are.
>>
>>46486623
I reckon it would work nicely for you, but maybe you'll need to stat your own weapons.
One of the most important weaknesses of BotW atm is that lethality is pretty high. You can shield yourself with cover well enough, but if you're hit in a vital spot, there's a high chance you'll die right away.
>>
>>46486623
Well, Gurps is always a safe bet, but Laser Whales is a strong contender, even given its early state.
>>
>>46486749
That sounds like what I'm after. If you don't plan things well and just kick in the door you're liable to get perforated rather than pull a rambo. Do I need to learn the base Song of Swords before I move on to Laser Whales, or is Laser Whales standalone?
>>
>>46486870
Only if you want to do melee combat, and you can just look that up on the fly if it comes up.
>>
>>46486904
Neat. I don't actually have a playgroup, I just like learning RPG's and have had a hankering for something crunchy but with reasonably good flow for a modern-ish game.
>>
>>46486968
CotW might just be up your alley. Remember that if you have any doubt on how to play, just say in the thread and hop in the roll20 room.
>>
>>46486870
Ballad is basically self contained, but reading SoS would probably help.
>>
File: luck.jpg (27 KB, 543x275) Image search: [Google]
luck.jpg
27 KB, 543x275
>>46487000
Speaking of Laser Whales, I have a story, about our most recent session.

For those who don't recall, we were playing a group of Chironites in Space Vietnam, going on patrols, clearing out tunnels, etc.

Well most recently we managed to capture The Jaguar, an elusive by dangerous guerilla officer, while storming a tunnel complex in the mountains.

In retaliation, OpFor attacked us at our forward operating base, and began shelling it. Our squadron was relaxing in the barracks when the attack came, and we quickly moved to retrieve our equipment from the armory and spring to the defense of the fort.

We repelled the initial assault, but the enemy pulled back to regroup in the nearby town, and our squadron, being the only intact one, was sent to harass them and prevent a second offensive.

We went about this, clearing the town alley by alley, with little trouble, until at one point we were ambushed from behind, and fired upon outside of cover.

The first shot hit me, the officer, in the head, with no possible chance of survival. Morever, I had only two Luck, and thus could not negate the killing shot at all. It seemed that finally, Oberjager Klapperschlang had run out of luck.

But wait!
>>
File: giphy.gif (586 KB, 350x151) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
586 KB, 350x151
>>46488128
I spent the luck point to move the lethal shot to one of my comrades, Bernd, who in turn spent a luck point moving the shot to still another comrade, Spitz, who had enough luck to negate it entirely.

A second shit was similarly bounced around, until we had no luck left at all, but were all unharmed. We dispatched our ambushers handily, and finished clearing the town, when we heard a distinctive rumble in the distance.

A Rahoo tank, no doubt purchased by these rebels from some arms dealer, thundered down the center of town, no doubt intent on storming headquarters. We took refuge in nearby buildings, and readied our antitank weapons. The vehicle could not be allowed to reach headquarters, in its state, it would be unable to repel such an assault.
>>
>>46488186
As the tank passed, we revealed ourselves and fired our weapons, and scored several powerful hits, disabling the tank. Bernd, however, struck the killing blow, hitting the ammunition rack in the tank's turret, causing a catastrophic explosion.

We, being fairly close to the vehicle, were caught in said explosion, and we having very little protection against such a blast, and having exhausted our full supply of luck, were likely to be severely injured.

Rolling for the hit locations of the blast, Spitz was severely wounded in the leg, Bernd minorly injured, but when my time to roll came up, there were, and I assure you this is no exaggeration, three 10s.

Now we were certain that it was over for the Oberjager. No luck, no helmet, no cover, and three critical hits. I resigned myself to doom, no doubt to be decapitated by a piece of rolled steel.

But, upon checking the rules we discovered that 10s are automatic misses on explosions. In one ruling I went from instantaneous, certain death to being totally unharmed.

Once again I have avoided all consequences.

Spitz lost his leg, sadly, but we've put in a request for a prosthetic replacement. Just thought I'd share the hilarity with you lads.
>>
>>46486623
Void is great for modern operating. Just focus on smallish encounters with a lot of details, it works a lot better than gangs of enemies with little focus on them.
>>
>>46488573
>>46487000
>>46488117
So, is Call of the Void and Ballad of the Laser Whales the same thing, or are they two different things? I'm not entirely clear.
>>
>>46488911
It's called Call of the Void: Ballad of the Laser Whales
>>
>>46488935
Thanks. It seemed that way, but I just wanted to double check.
>>
File: 113.png (33 KB, 160x139) Image search: [Google]
113.png
33 KB, 160x139
>>46488963
You can thank me by rimming my asshole.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.