[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

If you could choose one Unearthed Arcana character option to be finished and rebalanced, what would it be?
>>
>>46483804
mystic
>>
>>46483804
Probably the Eberron choices, most of the UA's have been shit, honestly.

>psionics was just a shitty monk-style class
>Prestige classes were bland, and ultimately not worth the time when played as presented
>>
>>46483804
Oh, any really, or rather, all of them

But if I had to pick one I guess it would have to be shadow sorcerer
>>
File: latest[1].png (3 MB, 2132x1200) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
3 MB, 2132x1200
I'm running a one-shot game in a few weeks and I have a concept based on a gothic Ravenloft-like setting. I'd like some input and help brainstorming for plot details and events.

The story will start out like the Kurosawa film Sanjuro mixed with the Towers of Doom arena from Heroes of the Storm: The inhabitants of a village are caught in a struggle between two powerful entities, each promising protection if the other is wiped out. In this case, the villagers are split between two death spirits. The wraithly Grave Keeper has about half of the villagers living in a shanty-town at the local crypt, promising them safety if they swear loyalty to him. Meanwhile, the vampiric Raven Lord has the other half of the villagers in his thrall at his keep at the other end of town. Each of them demands that the townsfolk aid him by destroying his rival.

The PCs stumble into this stalemate and have several choices. They can learn about each of the entities and listen to their bargain, but they may realize that the death spirits might not honor their end of the deal. Bandits and brigands are pillaging what's left of the village, led by a mercenary lord who can turn into a werewolf. The PCs might encounter them and either kill or impress the merc leader.

As they investigate, they learn the center of town has an old abbey dedicated to the Night Maiden, a third death spirit. Her powers might help break the deadlock, but the PCs will have to earn her trust, since her relic Moonstone is what prevents the two other death spirits from seizing the rest of the town for themselves. The moonstone is also what transformed the merc captain, and he and his gang will defend the abbey if the PCs come armed.

What sort of plot twists and quirks should I throw in there? I'll have the players make level 5 or 7 PCs so they can play around with interesting builds. They really like magic items and trinkets, so including fun minor magic items as loot is a goal of mine.
>>
>>46483804
The UA ranger with ambuscade.
Or something from the ebberon one.
>>
Am I the only one who's kind of pissed the Monster Hunter archtype isn't for Rangers? I mean seriously, it would fit so well with favored enemies, it's almost like the last big middle finger to the ranger class.

I'm seriously considering trying to homebrew a version of the Monster Hunter archtype for Ranger. Which version of Ranger would people prefer to see it with? The PHB version (would having spells and superiority dice be a big no-no?) or the UA Spell-less version?
>>
>>46484084
Having both spells & sup dice might make the fighter feel a bit bad, since those dice are exclusive to fighter so far, no?
Probably mess with the spell-less version, I guess.
>>
>>46484107
>since those dice are exclusive to fighter so far, no?

Anyone can get them and some maneuvers with a feat.
>>
>>46484084
No, I'm not upset about that at all.

Frankly I'd rather they just make ranger a subclass for fighter and call it a day, the class is trash.
>>
>>46484142
It's a shame. I rather like the concept of the ranger, and while I haven't really played one on the tt, I did enjoy playing one in DnD vidya. But they tend to pretty universally be bad, regardless of the edition.

In 5th they're a strong contender for the worst class, and definitely have the single worst class archetype (the beastmaster ranger). I have no idea what they were thinkign with the Bm ranger, it just makes no sense. I normally am pretty conservative when making homebrew stuff, but every time I've made a class feature that uses a pet or summoned minon I end up making far better than the BM ranger, because the BM ranger version is completely useless and I'd want the feature to have at least limited useability.
>>
>>46483915
>psionics was just a shitty monk-style class
/5eg/'s illiteracy strike again. Read the UA more than not at all.
>>
>>46484297
For me this is the list of absolute trash classes/archetypes

Really bad:
>Sorcerer
>Druid
>Hunter Ranger

Holy shit, somehow worse
>Way of the 4 elements monk

Why would anyone play this
> Beastmaster Ranger
>>
>>46484393

Just curious, why do you consider sorcerer's and druids so bad?
>>
>>46484393
>Really bad:
>Sorcerer
>Druid
What? Why?
>>
>>46484297
Summoning a Warhorse through the Paladin's Find Steed spell is better than the Beastmaster's animal companion. And they get shared spells for free. Double bonus points if the DM lets the Paladin summon creatures other than those listed.
>>
>>46483804
What do you folks do to encourage players to RP in DnD more? I am DMing a party that is mostly focused on the combat and almost never communicates IC. They seem to be having a kick out of jumping from combat to combat but I have a feeling this will get old quickly.
>>
>>46484393
Your opinions are shit and you should feel like shit for having them desu sempai
>>
>>46484393
>Really bad: Druid
It's one of the best. Do you even onion?
>>
File: 1268131204912.jpg (25 KB, 456x330) Image search: [Google]
1268131204912.jpg
25 KB, 456x330
>>46484393
>really bad
>sorc
>druid
what?
also
>not including bladelok in the list
>>
>>46484425
RP NPCs more, have them talk to the characters, maybe ask a player's character how he feels about another player's character, ask the player stuff about his character, such as "Where'd you learn magic/how to fight? did you like it there?" and other basic stuff.

Don't push it too hard, though. Some people might be uncomfortable about it, just not into RPing as much, need time to acclimate or figure out their character, whatever.
>>
>>46484057
But it is finished. You'd only ever want the first level of that, so writing out 20 whole levels is pointless.
>>
>>46484425
It really depends on the players' personalities outside of the game. If they are not the kind of people to find enjoyment is depicting characters through acting, then they are not going to bother to do that in-game.

You could try sitting down with everybody and tell them that you'd like to get them to speak more in-character and hand out small rewards like inspiration or EXP if they come up with role-played dialogue.

If they like combat so much, have them fight bad guys who speak a sentance during each turn, something like threats or calling out commands to NPCs. And have the players respond when it's their turn. For example, move 6 squares, roll attack and damage, and say something in a few words. That way they are still playing the core of the game, but they get regular chances to express their character's personality.
>>
>>46484393

>Sorcerer
>Druid
>bad

You might have Down's syndrome, anon, because that is fucking retarded. Just thought I'd let you know.
>>
File: KsYpXaP.gif (3 MB, 420x300) Image search: [Google]
KsYpXaP.gif
3 MB, 420x300
>>46484560
>>
>>46484548
I suppose they might not be into it yes. I have been prodding them in the ways you suggested, but they seem eager to cut the talking and get to the fighting. Maybe I shouldn't try to get them to do anything else if they like it that much.

>>46484563
>If they like combat so much, have them fight bad guys who speak a sentance during each turn, something like threats or calling out commands to NPCs. And have the players respond when it's their turn. For example, move 6 squares, roll attack and damage, and say something in a few words. That way they are still playing the core of the game, but they get regular chances to express their character's personality.

I haven't really be doing much of that. It's worth a shot - thanks!
>>
>>46484414
>>46484415

Sorcerers aren't as good at shitting out spells as wizards, wizards can cast more spells per day and memorize a higher amount of spells so they're also more versatile.

The trade off for this is metamagic which has potential to be a decent way of equalizing the gap, but you don't have enough points to make strong use of it, and no way to recover them once expended.

Druids are bad for a couple of reasons, but I'll admit now that this is largely theory-crafting because I'm yet to play in a game that has gone to max level but:

>Wild shape stops being useful after a few levels, a CR 1 creature is not going to be effective later on in the game. (Early on, sure, it's great to be able to turn into a wolf, or a bear, or... something, but it peaks off).
>The spells are bad.
>The cantrips they have aren't good, they just aren't. Thorn whip is really short range (I think it was 30 or 40 foot but it pulled the enemy closer to you), so you need at least some points in dex or str for the bad weapons druids can use OR rely on your wild shape, which stops you casting at all for the levels it's relevant at.
>at level 18 and 20 you get really ass benefits for sticking with the class. for comparison, a Wizard can cast 2 level 2 spells as pseudo-cantrips at level 18, a Champion fighter (regarded as a weak choice for fighters) gains regeneration of 5+con mod when under half health from level 18 (and another ability increase/feat at level 19). The level 18 benefit for druids? Slower ageing. The level 20 benefit? No limit on wild shape uses per day. You know, that feature that fell off 6 or 7 levels ago?
>>
>>46484456
I forgot bladelock was a thing.

good.
>>
File: 1436042263951.png (228 KB, 1216x1280) Image search: [Google]
1436042263951.png
228 KB, 1216x1280
Does anyone have an updated version of races, classes, feats and backgrounds choices pdf?
>>
>>46484712
doesn't matter, just play a variant human fighter, wizard, or rogue.

everything else is trash.
>>
>>46484731
>implying
Gnome wizards are fantastic.
>>
>>46484742
No.
>>
>>46484655
being a less good wizard doesn't make you bad
>>
>>46484751
10/10 refutation
>>
File: 1448658654439.jpg (16 KB, 238x209) Image search: [Google]
1448658654439.jpg
16 KB, 238x209
>>46484456
>>46484679
Oh God. Is Bladelock really that bad?
I have a player who just switched from Beastmaster Ranger to a Warlock and picked Pact of the Blade. Part of his main reasons for switching were that he wanted more spells and he was sick of being 'underpowered.'
I have to say, I kind of thought Pact of the Tome looked better just glancing at the rules, but is Blade really all that bad?
>>
>>46484755
>being bad isn't bad

B..but... my video games
>>
>>46484806
Blade is objectively worse than all other pacts.
>>
>>46484655

Hmmm, I'll respect your opinion, but I think you are comparing classes too linearly. For example, you are comparing a ribbon skill (slower ageing) to non-ribbon skills to determine max level power.

Also, it seems you have a big misunderstanding of how Wild Shape works, at least for Moon Druids. The CR scales up on it as you level, yeah it still falls off to some degree, but it's still a completely free HP buffer that allows you to throw out some small amounts of damage. And at very least it's free flying and swimming after a certain level.
>>
>>46484806
You have a class based entirely around being a glass cannon blaster with some disables on the side.

You then stand in melee range and hit them with a sword, using strength or dexterity, which is cancerous because imagine the problems with MAD paladins have, then forget that paladins have armour and more health to offset this problem.
>>
>>46484806
Bladelock is worse than the other two 'locks, because the pact benefit is less useful (yay, you're slightly better, but still not partcularly good, in melee), especially compared to Tomelock, and you lose eldritch blasts.

However, the pact is only one class feature, instead of an entire archety like BM Ranger, so you can still build a decent Warlocks. Won't be as optimized as a Tomelock, but if your character concept is build around being a melee 'lock, it does the job.
>>
>>46484806
Let me put it this way- you can be a better bladelock (sans any given bladelock only invocations) with a single cantrip.
>>
>>46484806
The blade is generally inferior to Eldritch Blast except at like level 12 or so, where it might be on even footing damage-wise, but then it also costs several more invocations to reach such a point than EB does. Plus, EB is ranged and will be Force damage.
Been a bit since I looked at the damage.

Meanwhile, tome adds a bunch of utility and goodness with pick-any-3-cantrips and possibly grants ritual casting & the ability to get more (invocation) which is great.
Familiar can get you access to several neat familiars that have special abilities, like magic resistance (that they share with you), invisibility, or shape changing.
>>
>>46484895
The blast does more because of your invocations (cha mod on each blast, the 10 foot push, etc.) make it infinitely more useful than hitting something with a sword, badly.
>>
>>46484806
I think the main problem is that eldritch blast is so good that picking a magic weapon that does the same thing but in melee is a sidegrade that costs you the chance to get abilities from the other pacts

>CHA to-hit with 1d10 plus CHA damage at long range plus knock backback with charisma spells and either increased spell list or a familiar
or
>STR to-hit with maybe 1d10 plus STR damage at melee range, but with only light armor proficiency, few hitpoints and fewer spells and no familiar
>>
>>46484084
Ranger should always have been a fighter subclass, I think this is them implicitly admitting that.
>>
>>46484977
Yeah. The cantrip only needs 1 invoc (Agonizing Blast) to do a shitton of damage, and it just scales for free past that, all the way up to level 17.
A greatsword bladelock needs 2 (Lifedrinker, Thirsting Blade) just to be on par-ish, and it mostly stops scaling at 12th level. EB doesn't.
Then EB has the additional option of shoving people, or having a (probably unnecessarily) huge range.
>>
Bladelock needs a feat or two or a level of fighter/paladin/cleric at least to be as good as (sometimes better than) either of the other two

But it can outdamage them
>>
>>46484655
>and no way to recover them once expended.
Nope, you can convert spell slots to sorcery points. It can seem a little expensive, but you can get more out of boosting strong magic than casting lower level slots.
>>
Holy shit, lots of replies.
>>46484834
>>46484886
>>46484890
>>46484892
I have to admit, I'm not sure why he picked it either. We rolled up the character together and I honestly couldn't see much utility in just having a free melee weapon lying around. I guess it's kind of neat that you can just summon it whenever, though, maybe in case you're disarmed, but aside from that and flavor it doesn't seem very good.
>>46484895
>>46484977
>>46484978
>>46484890
Wait, hold up. What's this about 'losing' Eldritch Blasts? He has that already, it's a Warlock cantrip. He's actually really excited to be able to use it, he took Agonizing Blast as well to make it better. What does that have to do with Pact of the Blade? I'm not seeing the connection.
>>
>>46483905

underrated post

I want my goddamn Immortals!
>>
>>46485132
Once you have Agonizing Blast (and maybe Repelling Blast) there is literally no reason to have a melee weapon. It's that good.
Tome lets you cast ALL ritual spells and get more cantrips. Chain gives you magic resistance and situational encounter-winners (hold monster at will is incredible).
>>
>>46485132
You don't lose EB, it's just almost always better than hitting people with your sword so why are you hitting people with your magical sword?

Remember this is talking about the mechanics of the class and it versus being tome and grabbing like shillelagh, or a familiar. If you really want to make a magical sword appear in your hands at will, then by all means pick bladelock (or eldritch knight, I guess). It's just hard/expensive to make that as good as Eldritch Blast.
>>
>>46485132
There is none, some people apparently do not realize you can be a bladelock and still use EB
>>
>>46485183

>if you're in melee range there's no point using the ranged spell attack
>if you're out of melee range there was no point taking bladelock

Obviously you don't LOSE Eldritch blast, but you won't take invocations for it (or at least, won't have spare invocations for both melee stuff and EB and the other at-will spell invocations that are good, so is there really any point?
>>
How would a level 9 Wizard go about building their tower/stronghold in their downtime? Assume 1 month downtime.
>>
File: 1458072621648.png (53 KB, 375x326) Image search: [Google]
1458072621648.png
53 KB, 375x326
>>46485183
>>46485180
>>46485173
That's a relief. I was really worried for a second there, didn't want him to get stuck in two lame classes in a row. Have an elf for your troubles.
>>
>>46485301
The RAW rules for it are ass, so just pretend they don't exist and sort something out with your DM.

Easiest way is clear out a dungeon with your party and then stake a claim on it (who else would?), move all your stuff in and then start fortifying it.

Arcane lock, wards, etc.

Maybe some hired goons or trained monsters to guard it for you, depends what you can get in the field.
>>
File: image.jpg (607 KB, 900x1165) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
607 KB, 900x1165
Is Chainlock on the same level as Tomelock? Having a Sprite or a Quasit or a Pseudodragon sounds like amazing utility.
Also best chain fluff wise for a Undying Light warlock? If none, any reasonable replacements you think a DM would accept? (Haven't flipped through MM enough, perhaps some ball of light that's low level?)
>>
>>46485301
Mordenkainen's Private Sanctum, definitely, and Wall of Stone to build it. You might want to hold off on on construction until 11, though--then you get Guards & Ward.
>>
>>46485300
You'd be competent at all ranges, for one

And what other invocations are good? The EB stuff and the blade stuff is it, most of the invocations that give you spells are once a day anyway
>>
>>46485368
Chainlock is decent, but Tomelock is currently the best.
No good options RAW for UL, but I allow GOOs to get flumphs. A good-aligned will-o-wisp might be interesting.
>>
File: WayOfMight.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
WayOfMight.pdf
1 B, 486x500
One of those damn homebrewers here, with a monk archetype for y'all. The theme is pretty much just strength monk, with bonuses to damage and grapples.
>>
>>46485368
Yes, if you use the MM version of the familiars

Free, permanent magic resistance is pretty fucking great, as well as touch spells at range and free scouting for always
I would list free help actions, but the tomelock that doesn't take find familiar is a tard
>>
>>46485402
You might be interested in these:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GFMPcVM7lg0lvuoD2vLcVbzgXma6dgH2-Sh6wYhOI2s/edit?pref=2&pli=1
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?377591-Pact-making-101-A-guide-to-the-5th-edition-Warlock
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?469128-GUIDE-Blade-Book-and-Chain-the-Warlock-Guide&p=6707810#post6707810
They're outdated, but good.
>>
>>46485412
I was just looking at the Will o the Wisp
It's CR2 which is above the other options (who are CR1 max)
I dunno how to build CR but I'd prolly start with remove Consume Life & Incorporeal Movement, change Shock to be Fire damage, swap its fire/lightning resistances and see if that'd be good as a little ball of fire.
Maybe slow it down to 40ft? Not sure.
>>
Does divine energy affect tieflings any more strongly because of their heritage?
>>
>>46485509
No.
>>
>>46485509
RAW, no.
They're devilish (infernal is the language spoken by devils) and skimming through the MM, devils aren't even radiant vulnerable or anything themselves.
>>
>>46485493
Lightning damage is fine. Consume Life is barely ever going to be relevant (only useful for killing bosses), and is fine. Incorporeal Movement isn't very problematic either.
I'd say leave as-is because it doesn't get magic resistance like some others.
>>
File: nk9zpecNWf1u7dqbso8_540.png (454 KB, 523x810) Image search: [Google]
nk9zpecNWf1u7dqbso8_540.png
454 KB, 523x810
Cthulhufaq here, since I think the people who asked me to fix the link to the files in the previous thread probably missed it, I'll just repost it here (and hope it works: it does for me, but so did the Google Drive and apparently the link didn't work for others).

Got the hopefully final version version of the Mythos-themed homebrew pdf (which go too big to fit on /tg/) on mega here: https://mega.nz/#F!EkUC2TAK!N0S0xIhIHeNhC7ANim00KQ

I'm also adding my other random homebrew shit there as I redo or convert my older stuff to 5th edition. Those tend to be either weird, boring, or tied to my own campaign setting, though.
>>
>>46484886
>glass cannon blaster
Blaster, sure, but warlocks are not glass.

>>46484892
>you can be a better bladelock (sans any given bladelock only invocations) with a single cantrip.
Bladelock is sometimes more damage than EB. No single cantrip ever is.

>>46485479
Though an invisible familiar with resistances, hands, and more hp is going to be even more Helpful than an owl.

>>46485553
Magic resistance is a variant rule. It's not intended for the Find Familiar spell. It shouldn't be assumed.
>>
>>46485747
Shillelagh.
Not EB. I realize my post was confusing, i honestly forgot people compare EB to bladelock.
>>
>>46485747
It's absolutely intended for the Find Familiar spell, at least as far as warlocks go. Monster Manual trumps PHB on issues of creatures.

And without Magic Resist chainlock isn't on par with tomelock.
>>
>>46485469
I think it would make more sense for what you're doing to start with barbarian or fighter and make them more monk like than to change the monk to be strength based. If only for making the first 2 levels not complete ass for someone with so-so dex
>>
>>46485784
Shillelagh makes your stick use cha mod

Bladelock gives you cha mod on top of the weapon's mod
>>
>>46485687
Stuff you might like:
https://mega.nz/#F!ix5EHD4B!zoHMGmqFEREdxVYK60PVoA
>>
>>46485784
I don't think Shillelagh would out damage it with thirsting blade and the bladelock cha bonus

Green Flame might though
>>
>>46485905
>always wondered why people talked about gfb sunce it doesn't do shit
>re-read and realize it gets somewhat better at higher levels

It's still kinda meh though except for EK
>>
File: 1457394216364.png (62 KB, 480x280) Image search: [Google]
1457394216364.png
62 KB, 480x280
>>46485849
>>46485905
And thus my original post literally saying:
>sans any given bladelock only invocations
It's better -without- taking invocations, which lets you take other, better invocations.
it also lets you be less MAD.
You can also GFB with either version.
>>46485973
It's amazing with rogues, especially BB since you can disengage and force them to come at you.
Need to AT or take magic initiate, though.
>>
>>46485823
I'd considered it, but the concept has to change a bit in either case. A fighter would likely end up doing more damage with unarmed strikes than a monk, which seems wrong. And a barbarian would work ok mechanically, but ultimately it's still a barbarian and not a martial artist.

Anyway, if I were using it in a game I'd consider allowing the AC=10+Str+Wis to apply as an option from first level.

More to the point, is the thing I posted balanced, you think? I wasn't sure if the Mighty Strike along with the grapple damage was too much damage for the monk.
>>
>>46485784
>Shillelagh.
Will never outdamage EB at any time. A greatsword could. Bladelock has some use for nonstandard warlock races. Some. It still has problems. Shillelagh is just shiny. It has no value to a tomelock, but maybe a cha gish build has a good use for it I've never seen.

>>46485794
It's listed as a variant, and describes familiars that are not gained from find familiar. Might be balanced, but it's dishonest to call it intended.
>>
Could someone point me to the rules regarding sleeping with your armor on in the rulebook? I heard that there are such, but I have no idea where they are.
>>
>>46486009
Yeah I guess an assassin with bb or gfb or a bb swashbuckler would be pretty great
>>
>>46486152
There are none.
>>
>>46486131
It actually says on the blurb familiars get MR and share it with their masters
>>
>>46486152
Pretty much any armor you would reasonable wear will be padded and fitted well enough that sleeping in it won't be a huge deal. There are historical examples of people wearing plate armor during war for days on end. The actual effect for sleeping in armor were exaggerated significantly in older editions.
>>
>>46485877
Damn it, turns out somebody did it first.
Probably did a better job as well. Should have told me few weeks ago.

And people ask me, "Lord Nomic, why is most of your homebrew so weird/niche?". It is because those are the sort of thing nobody else has not already done better than me.
>>
File: 1442565847762.jpg (223 KB, 1016x548) Image search: [Google]
1442565847762.jpg
223 KB, 1016x548
Well my group just went full murder hobo. Baby killing was involved. I tried to run with it and actually play it seriously but that didn't go so well. Another guy in the group is pretty pissed about this turn of events. Next session is also likely going to involve player killing but the guy to be killed seems to not mind that much as he is heading back to uni after that session. He killed the baby so I am going to kill him.
>>
>>46486279
Bathe in the blood of the sinners.
>>
>>46486271
Don't worry Nomic/cthulhufriend, I am a huge fan of your work and wait for your updates in every thread. I just figured I'd throw you some more resources to look at or use as you want. By all means, please continue with your conversions/homebrewing!
>>
>>46486218
>>46486253
oh, thanks a lot. I thought I was missing something obvious
>>
>>46486318
I am already covered in baby blood though.
>>
So what do people think of the gothic UA?
>>
>>46486271
Hey, your shit is good, even the ones I didnt do for you

Seriously though l, good stuff
>>
Fuck 5e, really.
>>
File: oh my.jpg (28 KB, 480x610) Image search: [Google]
oh my.jpg
28 KB, 480x610
>>46486461
>>
>>46486461
Can we have a threesome with /pfg/?
>>
>>46483804
Artificer and Minotaurs.
>>
>>46486493
That's almost like incest.

Hot.
>>
>>46486443
It's alright. A bit light on content but it's nothing mechanically outrageous.
>>
>>46486232
It also says they can end their service as a familiar at any time, and frequently for any reason. At least the Imp has a contract. It also gives access to a Sprite familiar with no such variant.
>>
>>46486443
I N Q U I S I T I V E
>>
Would you guys allow a paladin to cast Find Steed at higher levels to get a higher CR for the things he can summon?

IE at base level 2 you can get a steed with a CR of .5, at level 3 a CR of 1, etc?

a CR of 1 would allow for a hippogriff, which may be nuts but by level 9 the druid can turn into a giant eagle and carry people and the wizard can cast fly on most of the party and shit so I don't think it'd be too out there.

>>46486461
I just dislike how neutered some shit is.

class customization and bounded accuracy. no more ranks in skills, way less specialized feats to make your character more unique

it's solid for new players and new dms (like me) and both me and my players have a good time running it.
>>
>>46486326
>>46486450
I'm somewhat surprised since the usual reaction to me posting homebrew has been either no comment or "get that magical realm shit out of here". Using an established thing like the Cthulhu Mythos as a source was probably good idea.

Aside from inevitable fixes/balances, I think I'm done with Cthulhu stuff for a while, though. At least directly Cthulhu-related stuff. Most of my ideas are somehow connected to eldritch stuff or/and bizarre biology.

Things I should be doing next (in no particular order):
>Redo of the flesh-warping/mutation-themed pseudo-Lovecraftian class I did; the current version is kind of a mess and suffers from being an expanded version of an admittably pretty Magical concept.
>Properly port my deep sea mermaid to 5th edition. The current version isn't even done entirely by me. I love creepy deep sea stuff, and would like to expand it to better represent different species of deep sea fish, like I did for the original 3.PF version.
>Figure a good way to do the idea I had for a spellcaster that can power up their spells but in doing so takes "corruption points" which cause bad things to happen once you gain too many.
>>
>>46486443
I'm glad that they didn't pussy out of the revenant up and dying when they complete their task.
>>
>>46486443
Revenants seem fantastic! Just maybe not as PCs. It seems like a very good way to make a recurring antagonist with class levels, someone vengeance-bound against the party.

Monster Hunter is kinda meh, but I've always thought Fighters were a little boring.

The Inquisitive seems potentially really fun, but more for a city-based intrigue campaign.
>>
>>46486701
Only concern would be that a tomelock can get it twice as early as the paladin, but sure.

>>46486744
All sound highly interesting. I'm going to try and make an archivist class/subclass at some point.
>>
>>46486767
I forgot to mention that the steed summoned has to be one size larger than the PC summoning it, and has to be summoned for the purposes of being a steed, and not a combatant (it can't fight by itself)
>>
>>46486744
>>Figure a good way to do the idea I had for a spellcaster that can power up their spells but in doing so takes "corruption points" which cause bad things to happen once you gain too many.
Sounds like a playtest sorcerer mechanic. They used the spell point variant and had features activate based on how depleted their spell point pool got, as well as the typical spend points to do thing features.
>>
File: Chose your might_1.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Chose your might_1.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46484712
I ment like this shit but with the new content included.
>>
>>46484084
I found Monster Hunter overall pretty underwhelming. I don't really think Fighters need that much more attention. It's clear they were trying to pull inspiration from the 4e Slayer.

Given their close relationship, I think if any class should poach superiority die for a subclass, it would be a Ranger one.
>>
>>46486279

has anything good ever come out of having a baby in a dnd campaign
>>
>>46487029
That's really cool. Seconding the request for an update.
>>
>>46486860
The version I did for 3.5 (which I never really finished) let you cast metamagic feats (empower spell and maximise spell) without the spell level increase, but you'd get "corruption points" and had this "perils of the Warp" style chart you had to roll on once you got too many points, with amount of points over the safe limit added to the roll. Started with some pretty minor stuff, like getting dazed for one round, or having to make a Will save against fear, but if you kept going you'd take ability damage or even die. It was kind of unnecessarily complicated and didn't really work very well, though, so I should simplify the concept.

Probably make the points into something that grant you some advantages, but if you built up too many or too fast, you get hit by penalties, so you have to manage them somehow.
>>
>>46487108
I feel the insanity and lasting injury tables are woefully underused

Maybe try something with them?
>>
Is variant human generally allowed in 5e campaigns?

i dunno, it just kinda feels like bullshit
>>
>>46487382
I always allow it. People take it less than 5e might lead you to believe.
>>
>>46487382
it's fine.
>>
>>46487382
Is pretty much the norm, they're the eternal second though, always the second best choice for every class, which isn't bad btw, default human is pretty underwhelming unless you're playing a mad as fuck character concept
>>
>>46487414
>>46487443

i'm a new dm and all my players are new too, one of them took variant human and that fucking lucky feat at start and it's obnoxious

but I suppose that's more the feats fault
>>
>>46487456
That's definitely the feat's fault. Lucky is ridiculous.
>>
>>46487456
It's really not too big a deal, I gave everyone a free feat at lv 1 and nobody took variant human even though I allow it

The one guy who took lucky has gotten his ass handed to him every combat
>>
>>46487382
While I don't have a campaign at the moment, I'm considering disallowing it, giving a small boost to normal human, and giving everyone a single feat at first level.
>>
>>46485973

It's fine on Bladesingers too, where a BB or GFB will deal more damage than your other cantrips (especially once you get +int to weapon damage).
>>
File: 1423787845864.jpg (99 KB, 618x555) Image search: [Google]
1423787845864.jpg
99 KB, 618x555
>>46484731
>>
>>46487453
Variant Human has one interesting feature: it is the only race that can start with a +2 to Wisdom!
>>
>7th level Monster Hunter can do an extra 20 damage to 4 different types of enemies on each attack
>20th level Ranger can add 5 damage to one attack against 3 types of enemies
>>
>>46487807
How so?
>>
I'm in a game with a fighter and barbarian. What should I play? What will let me do healing that isn't a Cleric? I don't want to play a melee character.
>>
I got a question for you, /5eg/. How much would a slave cost?

So far the only thing I've found helpful was in this OotS thread http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?152352-D-amp-D-Slave-costs

>Unskilled hirelings cost 1sp a day.
>That means it would cost you 365 sp a year to hire somebody to do the job a slave can do. Let's say you depreciate a slave in 10 years, as a unskilled slave's life can be short and painful. >That's 3.650 sp.
>Since you still have to take care of the needs of your slave, paying that price would mean no profit for you. Therefore, it should be less.

>So maximum 350 gp for an unskilled adult slave.
>If slaves are numerous (recent conquest, prosperous slave import, slave breeding farms,...), the price will be lower.

>Young, healthy female slaveswill be worth more, as they can produce children. A female who has already children will be worth even more as there's proof she's fertile.

>Children slaveswould be worth crap. It would be a risky investment and require you to take care of the child for years before he can actually produce more wealth than he costs.

>Elder slaves (above 50 years old)would be worth a lot less, unless they are teachers and such. They are weaker but they have experience.

>Sick, wounded, or otherwise unhealthy slaveswould also be worth crap, as their usefulness is greatly reduced, as well as their life expectancy.

>For skilled slaves, use the same method to get the maximum price:
>How long is the slave expected to serve ?What would it cost you to get a free professional to do the job ?
>It wouldn't make sense for a slave merchant to sell his slaves above what a professional would cost, since customers would then simply subcontract the task rather than invest a lot of money in slaves.

There was another person that said their formula for a slave's price was (CR2)×100gp.
These both seem fine but I thought I might as well get an opinion from some fa/tg/uys.
>>
>>46487869
+1 from racial and +1 from one of the wisdom feats
>>
>>46487453
I'd say they're the first choice for archers and tied for first choice for melee weapon guys.
>>
>>46487505
> Free great
> nobody took variant Human
Why would they? You gave away the entire draw of doing so.
>>
>>46487585

I think it unbalances the races a little bit though. I used to think Variant Human was OP but it's just the most flexible. Half Elf is probably stronger, for example.
>>
>>46487832
>>7th level Monster Hunter can do an extra 20 damage to 4 different types of enemies on each attack
Two attacks per short rest. Up to 24 damage and three attacks per short rest at level 18.
>>20th level Ranger can add 5 damage to one attack against 3 types of enemies
Not gonna defend this
>>
>>46487807

>Ability Score Increase. Two different ability scores of your choice inerease by 1.

Two different scores. Wisdom is not different from Wisdom.
>>
>>46487585
>giving everyone a single feat at first level.

that may be a bit much but i'd be cool with it, would free up people to choose what race they really want

>>46487879
bow cleric or bow bard?
>>
>>46487832
I just started playing a ranger as my first venture into 5th edition and yeah it seems like they're kind of ass. A shame since I never played the class ever before and suddenly have a hankering for the archery style.
>>
>>46487879
Bard, druid, poultice ranger

Clerics don't have to be melee
>>
>>46487898
I figured that's what you meant. The only feat that gives Wisdom is Observant, though.
>>
>>46486761
Using the character creation rules for NPCs just results in extremely fragile NPCs with a lot of superfluous class features they won't live long enough to use.
>>
>>46487912
Well that turned out fucking ugly.
>>
>>46487942
Or Resilient.
>>
>>46487942
Or Resilient.
>>
>>46487925
>>46487905
If feats were really all that then going variant human and getting two feats would be optimal no?

Then there's the fact that nobody in my group plays any of the normal races
>>
>>46487918

got the wrong idea pal

>>46487898
>>
>>46487909
>give every race the same thing
>unbalances
Sorry if I ain't seeing it. The only real "problem" is the occasional feat giving a stat boost up to +3, and clearly if you accept a new normal it's fine.
>>
>>46487976
>>46487978
That's right. Always forget about Resilient.

Is that considered a good Feat, by the way? The extra saving throw sounds really good in my mind.
>>
>>46487976
And wis saves are good
>>
>>46486701

The one thing I dislike is that Int isn't tied to skills anymore, so it's basically useless on everyone except AT/Wizards/EKs.
>>
>>46488008
It is, but it depends on just what save you're getting and if the stat is useful for you.
>>
>>46487944
This.

Give major named NPCs 1 or 2 features from a class, if needed. Otherwise, the base statblocks will give you most of what you need.
>>
>>46487918
I was referring to taking Wisdom as one of them and then taking a feat like Observant that gives a +1 to Wisdom.
>>
>>46488003

It makes Humans kind of garbage and I think it MIGHT make half elves the best at literally every class.
>>
>>46487944
Perfect. I really like the idea of a paladin stalking the party, ambushing them, challenging them to one-one-one duels, just being a tenacious, but non-threatening nuisance. Until the party does something that just makes him snap. Then, they find him coming at them not as a revenant, but as a Death Knight.
>>
>>46487995
Previously it came down to choosing between a Feat and, say, darkvision. Now they don't have to make that choice.

VarHum is not about getting a Feat; it's about starting with one.
>>
>>46488083
Non variant humans are garbage regardless. The boost I mentioned earlier was an extra stat point on top of the +1 to all.
>>
>>46488107
>Non variant humans are garbage regardless
I agree, the possibility of a +1 to each of your modifiers is entirely worthless.
>>
>>46488008
It is a good feat, but its usefulness depends on exactly what ability score proficiency score you choose and what kind of class you're playing. Spellcasters get a lot of use out of Constitution as the save proficiency helps with spell concentration, especially if they're going to find themselves on the front lines often like Clerics or Bladesinger Wizards, and generally effects that force Dexterity, Constitution, or Wisdom saves are the most common and punishing, so those three are far better options to take as Save Proficiencies than Strength, Intelligence, or Charisma.

I usually only take it in the case of casters for the reasons I explained above (as someone currently running a Life Cleric the bonus to concentration checks because of a proficiency in Constitution saving throws is a lifesaver) because they benefit most from it, but it's useful for almost anyone.
>>
>>46488043
I rarely use all the class features, but I find it handy to be able to simply say to myself, "He is a level 14 paladin. What sounds good for him to use on the party..." Especially with Wizards, it makes for much more varied encounters as the NPC tries every tactic they can think of.
>>
>>46488107

I'd still rather have Darkvision, Advantage on saving throws vs magical sleep/charm effects, two skill proficiency(s), and +1 on my Charisma mod. While that +1 to CHA mod might not always be useful, all the extra benefits of Half Elf more than make up for having +1 to a bunch of other stats I don't give a shit about, basically.
>>
>>46488141

It's pretty sweet on Rogues to have proficiency in every strong saving throw too.
>>
>>46488092
Wouldn't starting with 2 feats be better then?

>>46488139
Non variant humans can get 3 stats to 16 and have no other under 10
>>
>>46488175
Yes the half elf is a bit too good, but a feat wouldn't have anything to do with it.
>>
>>46488202

The extra feat just pushes them over the top, is what I'm saying, and the bonus to humans doesn't seem to make up for it.

I used to be a fan of the "free feat for everyone at level 1" idea too but over time I've softened up on it. I think Variant Human and the way feats are set up right now is fine as is.
>>
>>46488202
How can say that when you say the half-elf is a bit too good, though? Giving them a feat flat out makes them (and every other race, for that matter) better. If the Half-Elf is "too good", giving a feat to every race wouldn't even anything out.
>>
>>46488257
Yeah that's... what I thought I said?
>>
>>46488304
Sorry, I thought you were saying that a free feat would have nothing to do with how desirable the half-elf looked as a racial option.
>>
>>46488355
It's just as relatively OP as it was before. I don't think there is specifically synergistic at low levels between half elfs and a free feat to say the problem gets worse.

I mentioned a boost for regular humans, but I didn't address the half elf. Not sure what I could cut from it that would be significant without overdoing it, to be honest. I guess you could cut the skills, but that's the only really "human" aspect they have.
>>
>>46487925
>>46487940
What extra feat should I take at lvl 1 as a ranged life domain cleric, as a human?
>>
>>46487976
>>46487978
Are there many classes that don't already have wisdom saves that you would want to start with +2 wis for?
>>
>>46488546
If you want to use bows then crossbow expert or sharpshooter

If not then spell sniper I guess
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 480x424) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 480x424
Just played my first ever game of DnD and dmed my first time with 3 friends who have no experience with these type of games. 1 was struggling but the other 2?? They used their skills and items in very creative manners. And the 4 hour match ended with a huge battle. And they gave feedback that the fighting was lame but the rest was awesome. I had a great time with a bunch of newbs and my homebrew story. Even though people on /tg/ advised me not to. I am definitely going to do this more often. And am glad I gave it a shot!
>>
>>46488194
>Wouldn't starting with 2 feats be better then?
No. I'm not really sure what you're pressing me for.

You expressed what seemed like surprise that nobody took Variant Human. I'm saying that there's really no reason to anymore: nonhuman features + feat are, with very few exceptions, more worthwhile than 2 feats.
>>
>>46488609
There are a lot of builds that like to take one level in another class for armor proficiency Con saves (like Fighter 1/Wizard X). This lets them have both.
>>
>>46488609
Technically monk, but they get the rest of the saves later. Then there's the ranger that has wisdom based magic, but I don't think they do anything that actually requires a save.
>>
File: thumbs up.jpg (24 KB, 301x267) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up.jpg
24 KB, 301x267
>>46488677
Keep doing your thing, anon.
>>
>>46488609
Just ranger, really

But in the other 2 taking ovservant would be great
>>
>>46488677
>Even though people on /tg/ advised me not to.
what
what would we advise you not to do?
make your own adventure up as a newbie?
>>
File: 1438775766543.jpg (404 KB, 1200x1707) Image search: [Google]
1438775766543.jpg
404 KB, 1200x1707
Can I make a sneak attack with a whip with the rakish audacity (trait of the Swashbuckler roguish archetype)?
>>
>>46488677
Sounds like you've got "roleplaying" down. Good job. The battles probably just need some polish, depending on what the problem was. Worst case scenario, maybe you'd be happier with some other system.
>>
>>46488739
No. You have to be within 5 feet of the target for Rakish Audacity to apply at all.
>>
>>46488739
>>46488763
I'm not so sure. The exact text is as follows:

"In addition, you don't need advantage on your attack roll to use your Sneak Attack if no creature other than your target is within 5 feet of you. All the other rules for the Sneak Attack class feature still apply to you."

Being within 5 feet doesn't seem to be a requirement, just a specific exclusion to clarify they can still use it while the target is next to them.
>>
>>46488763
Technically he could, he just can't benefit from Reach and RA at the same time.
>>
>>46488194
>3 stats to 16 and no other under ten
Buying a 15 costs nine points, so you can buy three, left with three 8's. So, 15 15 15 8 8 8 brought up to 16 16 16 9 9 9. Half their scores are at negatives.
>>
>>46488809
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/01/29/rakish-audacity-target-must-be-within-5-feet/
>>
>>46488739
Can't see why not
>>
>>46488866
Oh, must have miscalculated, my bad
>>
>>46488726
Will do!
>>46488733
Yes the home brew story and the fact I was struggling with all the rules. I just winged it and rolled the dice with a certain number to win/fail in my head and tell them what happened when they fail or succeed.
>>46488750
I was counting on perhaps a battle of 3v3 the max. But during the story they made friends and allies and the max of 3v3 turned into a battle of 6 v 8 and I was simply not prepared for that.
>>
>>46488885
Ahh, that explains it. One of those cases of the RAW disagreeing with the RAI.
>>
>>46488665
What about medium armor master? I'm not sure if I want to go crossbow or just spells. The former would preclude me from using a shield, wouldn't it?
>>
>>46488989
Oh goodness. Maybe at that point you have the battle split off so the 3 allies is fighting 4 of the foes separately, and you don't even roll all the specific attacks.
>>
File: 1456953281362.jpg (65 KB, 541x625) Image search: [Google]
1456953281362.jpg
65 KB, 541x625
>>46488763
>>46488809
>>46488922
>can't be a swashbuckler with a crossbow
Well, that's mildly dissapointing.
>>
>>46489089
That's a good idea! Because I did roll All the attacks seperately and there wasn't a lot of player interaction seeing as there were 10+ npc's. Thanks for the tip!
>>
>>46489021
If you want to use a shield, I assume that means you're ranged in a sense of not relying on melee weapons, as opposed to hanging too far back. If you're interested in staying up, then Shield Master (Evasion!), Tough, Resilient. Maybe even Heavily Armoured depending on your stats.

Otherwise War Caster. All around decent and you can throw cantrips at things that provoke.
>>
>>46489187
You can, you just can't get your sneak attack off completely free.
>>
>>46489187

You still get your normal Sneak Attacks, so yeah, you can use a crossbow, just not with Rakish Audacity.
>>
>>46489021
Life gets heavy armor, you could go HAM for that sweet DR
>>
>>46487036
I ran a 3.5 game where the players ended up having to care for and protect the infant versions of themselves until the wizard could find a way to reverse the effects of the ritual they had fucked up.

The players seemed to enjoy it and it turned out that the gnoll barbarian in the group was really good at caring for children.
>>
>>46489187
>>46489233
Never forget Panache. Very powerful.
>>
>>46489089
Yeah, you can still have a roll here or there to see how they're doing, if you like. But generally anything that happens between npcs can be determined arbitrarily.
>>
>>46484425
>almost never communicates IC

Reminder that acting != roleplaying
>>
>>46489187
>don't get to sneak attack literally anything at anytime guaranteed for free
>can't play a swashbuckler with a crossbow

You're retarded
>>
File: bocchi.png (34 KB, 193x316) Image search: [Google]
bocchi.png
34 KB, 193x316
>>46490198
>acting != roleplaying
>acting does not consist of playing a role
>>
>>46490303
okay, then
roleplaying != acting
>>
>>46490303
Overlap doesn't mean it's the same. You don't need to roleplay in your characters voice, for instance, and you don't need to be doing it in first person at all.
>>
File: bocchi a qt.png (14 KB, 169x149) Image search: [Google]
bocchi a qt.png
14 KB, 169x149
>>46490332
So you play your role by... what, just saying what they do?
I mean, frankly speaking, that's not 'playing,' is it? Not in the sense of playing a role.
I'm sorry, I just can't find a proper distinction between acting and roleplaying. Narrating a role isn't really the same as 'playing' it, by the definition of each of those words, so can you really call that roleplaying?
>>46490336
I'll be honest, I'm not much of a stickler for keeping things IC. I roleplay sometimes, and other times I narrate. As much as I'd like to, I often have difficulty roleplaying, so I alternate between the two. That doesn't make my narration "roleplaying," though, because that wouldn't make any sense.
>>
I'm gonna run a game with a experienced FM and four rather new to DND players.

I wanted to ask which character would you say I roll with?

My intentions were to make my character very reliant on the other player's interaction. They would get more from me the better they roleplayed and got into their own characters.

1. A really stupid half-orc totem warrior barbarian. His totem spirit would be giving him advice and he tends to be very kind outside of battle but would cause plenty of issues if left to his own devices.

2. A vagabond paladin. This one is inspired by a /tg/ story i read, he would not reveal he is a paladin and would describe his lay on hands as something else until the others figure out his past through interaction.

3. An aging wizard who fears death, he is a generally kind and helpful individual who is ready to throw himself into danger for others but as the campaign goes on and gets difficult, his fear begin to change him. The wizard would eventually crack and seek out lichdom if he isn't rescued from his insecurities by the other players through positive interaction.

Worst case scenario would be he becomes the big bad for the next campaign and I roll a new character, he gets the advantage of knowing a lot about the other players though.
>>
>>46490303
No you see acting is the square, but roleplaying is the rectangle.
>>
>>46490492
I never thought to separate narration from acting, I just called it roleplaying since a character is being expressed.

Quick poll, then, who here considers narration roleplaying?
>>
>>46490493
I'd avoid the paladin, it's a tough gimmick to do right. The wizard might just be a bit too subtle, and going lich is always a mess unless the party is both evil and closely allied. Barbarian has room for fun, silly or otherwise.
>>
>>46490492
>by... what, just saying what they do?
Pretty much, most of my players do it this way.
If something comes up they just say what they're about to do and, if it's important, why they're doing it. No shitty Batman voices and no melodrama.
>>
>>46490507
I can understand the idea that A can be B without B being A necessarily, but in this case I'm having trouble distinguishing what unique features A has that B cannot have.
I mean, I suppose you're not doing it in front of an audience necessarily, unless you count your fellow players, but that seems like a very circumstantial definition to me.
>>46490580
It's really mostly a semantic thing, but I have to admit it still bothers me. You COULD technically call everything involved with D&D "roleplaying," because it's a "role-playing game" after all, but I don't think a player who does nothing but grunts and rolls dice could be said to be roleplaying.

I think I might just be making myself confused.
>>
>>46487079
Should the Matt Mercer stuff be included?
>>
>>46490492
>I mean, frankly speaking, that's not 'playing,' is it? Not in the sense of playing a role.
No, it is. My character is terrified of heights. I refuse to go near heights in game. I am fine with heights IRL.

Somebody asks me why I won't go near the height. My character shrugs, and ignores the question.

Am I not roleplaying?

Although I think this is more of a literal speech thing. Mostly I'll talk "IC" there because it's hard not to - I'm speaking IRL to narrate, and it's frequently exactly what the character would say, unless I'm painting broad strokes of "He roughly dismisses your question, saying it's not worth the time to answer."

Both work.

>>46490580
>who here considers narration roleplaying?
I do.
>>
How would you go about owning an estate/manor in another plane?
Does the economy work the same, can it generate income by hiring demons/angels to work?
>>
>>46490658
>does nothing but grunts and rolls dice
That's the definition of rollplaying, there. What I mean is someone describing their actions and saying the nature of their words without literally saying them all the time.
>>
>>46490671
>>46487079
Or the blood magic stuff from the UA where they recommended it from the DMs guild?
>>
>>46490658
Playing a role is a very vague turn of phrase. Your narrow interpretation is arbitrary and not the commonly accepted definition. You are wrong.
>>
>>46490493
> My class is a SECRET
Your fellow adventurers won't care, and neither do we.
>>
Anyone know how to edit the non OCR text on a pdf? Trying to update monster manual with the Errata
>>
>>46490804
Yeah, I'm just trying to open them up to the way DND can be played, where you don't have to be upfront and clearly defined with your actions in game.

>>46490638
Yeah, The barbarian is probably the one im looking most forward too.

In all honesty, Im gonna ask the DM what they would most likely need in the campaign and roll that just to balance it out.
>>
>>46490493
What the fuck is a FM?
>>
>>46490967
I assume he typo'd DM
>>
>>46490883
The text is an image file that the OCR text is invisibly laid over, basically. You really can't. Do what the person who added the PHB's errata did and do PDF comments.
>>
>>46490998
It's a "Fun Master"
>>
File: file-page1.jpg (643 KB, 2550x3300) Image search: [Google]
file-page1.jpg
643 KB, 2550x3300
Posted to the last thread before it was archived, thought I'd share it again. This is my take on Dark Sun Halflings.
>>
>>46491017
They really need to add a basic "photoshop" tool
>>
File: havsomecandy.jpg (56 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
havsomecandy.jpg
56 KB, 320x240
>>46490967
Fungeon Master
>>
>>46490967
Two grades worse than your standard DM.
>>
>>46490492
>I just can't find a proper distinction between acting and roleplaying.

That's because you're dumb.

Roleplaying is when you put yourself into your character's mind, and make decisions from his perspective and based upon his personality.

Acting falls under the umbrella of roleplaying, but the two are not the same, and acting is not a strictly necessary component.

>Let's see... my character hates orcs a lot, so, I guess I charge in to fight up close and personal? And since I only care about killing orcs, I'll ignore the magic item that the enemy wizard just dropped.
>I turn to the merchand and say "Lo, be wary of the path ahead- not two hours ago we were beset upon by would-be bandits up that way."
>My character decides he likes the guy, and therefore warns the merchant that there's bandits ahead.

All three of these things are roleplaying.
>>
>>46490802
>Playing a role is a very vague turn of phrase.
I disagree. The phrase is clear: to play as something is to pretend you are that something. "Playing as a role" has in its practical usage a very precise definition.

>Your narrow interpretation is arbitrary and not the commonly accepted definition.
>"playing a role" is not the commonly accepted definition of "roleplaying."
I disagree. The "commonly accepted" definition of "roleplaying" is not necessarily related to /tg/. It's probably going to have nothing to do with narration or even dice. It's going to be related to acting and repeating dialogue in first person. Only allowing commonly accepted definitions does not seem reasonable when we're talking about a niche hobby. So, if anything is the commonly accepted definition, it's MY definition, which you could then argue ignores the contextual qualities of the word in this specific niche.

As I said, however, you could use the niche quality of "roleplaying" in our specific hobby to refer to just about anything related to "roleplaying games," including things that most people would not consider "roleplaying," strictly speaking. The example I gave was rolling dice. As far as rolling dice is part of a "roleplaying game," it is roleplaying, but is that label really accurate? I don't think so, and I think most people would agree. Narration is similar. It is not, strictly speaking, "playing a role," i.e., pretending to be someone else, but in the context of roleplaying games you can call it roleplaying. But to be precise, outside of this context, narration would not be considered roleplaying.
Does that make sense?
>>
>>46490580
Narrator is ONE of the characters a GM had to play.
Narration style should change in different themed campaigns and different systems (if non D&D). Its important to also do characters though.
>>
>>46491147
>Roleplaying is when you put yourself into your character's mind, and make decisions from his perspective and based upon his personality.
That makes sense. It's a more liberal definition than what I was thinking of, but it fits the literal meaning of the phrase.
Thanks.
>>
>>46490580

I think effective roleplaying requires both in-character speech and narration. Socrates called this 'diagesis', in contrast to 100% in-character 'mimesis'. Narration is a necessary part of roleplaying, but not a sufficient tool for good roleplay. The character must also have a voice.

That's not to say that players who never speak in character are "doing it wrong", they just aren't doing it quite as well as they could be. Likewise, players who never narrate but only use in-character speech (very rare in my experience) are missing a key component. Roleplaying is both acting and storytelling.
>>
>>46491106
Underrated post
>>
Joining a game soon and wanted opinions on my Half-Orc Fighters backstory.
>Mother is the daughter of a lord
>Was captured when her caravan was attacked by orcs
>The lord sends out his best knight leading a large group of soldiers to rescue her
>They do however not before she had been raped by one of the orcs
>Later gives birth to half orc child
>Refuses to let her father kill it
>The child is raised by the same knight who rescued its mother
>Child was raised told he was a full blood orc and the last survivor of the tribe that had captured the lady
>Told that the lord could not bring himself to harm an innocent child
>He grows up idolizing the Lord and being trained by the knight
>Every day given lessons on fighting, honor, and chivalry
>Upon his 18th birthday goes before the lord and declares that he will go on a journey to bring fortune and glory in the name of his lord and hopefully right some of the wrongs that his people committed

So this is what I have. I am a little worried that my DM will think its too edgy. I just wanted to give him a reason that he is desperate to earn his lords respect which he will probably never get. I also wanted to give enough characters and potential plot hooks to the DM to use.

I plan on playing him as an upbeat guy that has to deal with racism and hate but manages to keep that cheerful side to him. until he comes across other orcs who he will despise
>>
>>46491183

I actually narrate in character in my current game. The narrator is a famous bard, accused of seducing the wives and sons of the caliph's court, and he's been granted a stay of execution until he can finish telling his final, greatest story. The campaign is that story.

It's great fun to think of how I can talk to the players and even give mechanical cues in character as a mid-1600s Arabian poet. I highly recommend it for DMs who want to challenge themselves a bit.
>>
>>46491280

I think that's great, and not too edgy at all. Half-orcs almost always have a bit of nastiness in their background; you've used it to make some interesting hooks for your character. I hope your DM uses them!
>>
>>46491151
I cannot fathom why you think you must speak to roleplay, in any environment. It's completely baffling.
LITERALLY nobody thinks this except you. Literally nobody else would argue that a mute, or some person that's vowed to never talk, or is too scarred to talk in some movie isn't roleplaying (the actual actor, as the character), but apparently you would.

Playing a role has absolutely no requirement that you use your voice.
>>
>>46491219
Interesting. Sometimes I'll have a quip to say in first person for fun, but the vast majority of time my character is supposed to be better spoken then myself, so I speak in the third person most often. I've never considered it lesser.
>>
>>46491280
10/10 I think, hits all my check boxes for a character. Even gives the DM something that he can work on if he want's but doesn't outright require him to.
>>
>>46491350
Except I didn't say that. To begin with, I should say that I wasn't sure of anything, which is why I started talking about it in the first place. Secondly, the idea I was proposing was that only ever narrating was not roleplaying because you were not attempting to play at being the character, only some third person that described the narrators actions. I would not have argued that a person would be incapable of arguing, and that's actually a very good point (although, if you've ever played in a campaign with a mute character, you know that it's really annoying).

In any case, considering that we have Socrates weighing in on this, I think that my proposed earlier idea was too strict.

Why did you spoiler "literally"?
>>
>>46491461
>Why did you spoiler "literally"?
I like to abuse spoilers for emphasis sometimes.
>>
>>46487036
Don't know if you're still here, but isn't there that one guy who DMs for a group of babies?
>>
>>46491518
He'd better be using some big dice or they're gonna get eaten.
>>
>>46491321
>>46491399

That's a relief. /tg/ has me so anytime rape is mentioned that someone is going to bring up magical realms.

Now I am just trying to decide on what kind of squire would serve an orc knight willingly or not.

Maybe
>Son of "Sir X the Yellow" who fled from battle and was rewarded with an arrow in the back
>Desperate to prove that he is not a coward like his father and restore his families honor
>No knight would take him on
>Eventually he approached the PC and begged him to let him serve
>PC saw his hunger own to prove himself reflected before him
>Agrees and makes him his squire
>>
File: Character creation list.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Character creation list.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46484712
>>46487029
>>46487079
Here's the update with new UA material, the background from Curse of Strahd, the Blood Magic PDF that got endorsed in a UA, and additional backgrounds from the Adventurers League page.
>>
File: 1453087594799.jpg (44 KB, 573x960) Image search: [Google]
1453087594799.jpg
44 KB, 573x960
>>46483804
Hey guys, why is the Curse of Strahd map set almost a gigabyte in size?
>>
>>46491603
Kid who dreamed of being a knight, was saved by the orc at some point in the past and idolizes him
>>
>>46491385

I mean, if you yourself can't be as witty as the character is, then you've got a limitation there. Ideally, you would be able to speak in character as well as the character ought to speak. Your roleplaying would be better if you spoke in character more, but that doesn't mean that your roleplaying is *bad*, just that you have room to improve.
>>
>>46491616
You've spelled "revenant" "revennant" several times just on the front page.
>>
Are wizards really that good at levels 3-6? It seems like they get screwed out of gold because of having to find spells AND spend money scribing them, while a cleric or a bard gets a ton of great spells at no cost.
>>
>>46491645
They're big maps.
>>
>>46491645

Because they're hi-res enough to print out and use at full scale at the table.
>>
>>46491674
Wizards get two spells for free per level.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.