[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would /tg/ do a blockbuster Warhammer 40k Movie? how would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: 1459130872438.jpg (686 KB, 1600x1001) Image search: [Google]
1459130872438.jpg
686 KB, 1600x1001
How would /tg/ do a blockbuster Warhammer 40k Movie?

how would you introduce the 40k universe to the mainstream normie legions?
>>
I've already answered this exact same question before OP. Nice dubs tho
>>
>>46483022
band of brothers imperial guard vs, cultists. basically gaunt's ghosts.
>>
>>46483676
Didn't know what 40k was till I read Guants ghosts; bought it a garage sale and got me seriously hooked
>>
I'd make the intro a stylized illustration of the war in heaven to set the tone, make it a trilogy about the Horus heresy, Chuck novel continuity as needed, recreate what was worth while
>>
Eisenhorn or similar as basic premise, in a triology, with xeno, traitors/seccesioism and chaos as themes, one for each movie. Showcase SM's as what they are, one in a billion god creatures while focusing on the exotic and horrendous reality of the Imperium.
Really really ram it home how cheap human life is and the scale of the threat that humanity faces.
Must include, in some form, long or short or just as backdrop;
- Hive cities
- Tyrannic wars
- Catastrophic wars, like Armageddon or Vraks
- The corruption of chaos in the hearts of men
>>
>>46483022
Idk, but I love that GW leadership is too greedy and inept to ever facilitate this scenario.
>>
>>46483022

>Set at the very end of the crusade
>Throw out everything BL has ever written and make some new characters for each of the legions that get betrayed at Istvaan
>Spend some time establishing who they are, that the universe kind of sucks but through friendship and extreme violence it can be made better
>give the primarchs as little screen time as possible and write them as aloof arrogant gods of battle
>Some of the characters introduced get betrayed on istvaan, only four of them (one each from the traitor legions) survive and escape
>However, through dickery by the traitors, the imperium thinks they are traitors and they are all detained once they make it back to the imperium
>sent to a maximum security penal world for a treachery they did not commit, these men prompty escape to the necromunda underground
>still wanted by the imperium they survive as blackshields of fortune
>If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....maybe you can hire The Alpha-Team.
>>
There's no way to make people like it.

They tried with the space marine game, but you can't really surmount the fact that 40k isn't a particularly good franchise that persists purely by overcharging the few addicted fans it still somehow retains.
>>
>>46483022
We've had enough of these threads lately that I wonder if some studio isn't fishing for movie ideas.
>>
>>46484754
I like it, but come on man, they aren't going to imprison escaped traitors.

Hell, they kill people for not emptying their trash on time, they aren't gonna go soft of traitors
>>
>>46485133

Didn't Garro get put in space prison on the moon when Sigismund thought he was lying about the Istvann betrayal and/or a traitor for implying horus was a traitor?

Plus there was an account from a Word Bearer in imperial custody (well, parts of him were in imperial custody, as you said they don't go soft...) in HH book 2 or 3
>>
>>46484144
Eisenhorn into a movie would be pretty bad ass.

>>46484883

The game had some really terrible spots, and a bit too much repetition. The final boss fight was awful for instance.
>>
>>46483022
>IG moves against enemy to defend planet
>Main character dies
>Next main character dies
>Platoons wiped
>Regiments wiped
>Battallions wiped
>Armor decimated
>Artillery overrun

>Send in the next wave
>Repeat

Basically just a shitshow of IG fighting and dying. Maybe end it with some Spahce MahruHnes showing up and doing some damage, maybe leave it for the next one

tl;dr: Basically just 2 hours of bloody carnage where no-one really wins
>>
File: 1457790914800.png (5 MB, 1600x1169) Image search: [Google]
1457790914800.png
5 MB, 1600x1169
i dont think you could do the Horus Heresy justice in anything less than a 3 part film with 50 hours in each
That or a looooooooooooong tv series
Best starting point is a war for a world in either 40k or early 30k
get int he grimdark by either end with gaining a planet so thoroughly torn apart that is is useless or declare exterminatus after some cult was found
Should be based around a decent number of characters ~ 10
if set in 30k they should fight with fellow legion friends
should be a big scale battle which captures the feel of the universe which is what the ultramarine movie really lacked
At some point they have to meet guard for prespective of dick size of SM
If the film is successful it can continue progressing through events to increase character development although none should last very long
3/4 films in there should only be 1/2 original marines
>>
File: 1457419614082.jpg (97 KB, 757x734) Image search: [Google]
1457419614082.jpg
97 KB, 757x734
>>46485665
The concept is perfect
Doesn't make it very different from any other scifi film other than everyone dying
could just be starship troopers if everyone died
If based around horus heresy it becomes more warhammery

But how do you follow up such a terrific film
You cant have a sequel if no characters survive or there is no theme or overall story line
I think its works best if 1 small character taht nobody thought much of manages to escape through luck or cowardice and survives to next film where they are veteran and or general and claim they are heroes despite everyone knowing the truth
then the grimdark is strong with the bad guy survives where the real heroes died but also can you really blame the guy for not killing himself?

even so perfect 5/7
>>
>>46483022
First, we need some parameters defined. Are we talking a full blown franchise ala the MCU? Maybe something smaller scale like a trilogy or some such? Or are we talking just one movie?

If we're talking full blown franchise, then Heresy, easy. If it's a trilogy or something smaller, I can see adapting the Cain series or the Eisenhorn series would be a great way to get the normies interested. For a one shot movie? That's the toughest, I think.
>>
Can't make it about Orks because retards will think Warcraft is being ripped off.
Can't make it about Tyranids because Starship Troopers.
Can't make it about Chaos because Legion.
Can't make it about Necrons because Terminator.

Go Damocles Crusade, but make special emphasis on neither side being wrong or right. Also giant robots.
>>
Something simple like Vanilla DoW1 or Space Marine: humans, chaos, and xenos.
IG city under siege by orks. Orks would be simple, because everyone can imagine what orks are. SM come and are these great space knights, who live to kill bad guys, but they're pretty much assholes to the normal people. Fighting goes on, Captain rides out in bikes with Predators, Land Speeders, and Rhinos to bring fight to Orks in field, massive armor battle with IG support as they bring down Squiggoth/Gargant.
Meanwhile, Chaos is happening in City with a few IG people, Captain's friend discovers. He is attacked by psyker, believed dead.
Meanwhile, out in the field, the Captain slays the warboss, and returns home to find Chaos and CSM. This happens because plot device item, some chaos relic or whatever.
So they fight back with allied IG, and Captain finds Best friend alive, but turned to Chaos because the artifact/pskyer did his mind--kills him. Moving on, fights a daemon prince and there's some orbital bombardments to clean up the city.
The world's pretty much ruined, all of the named IG characters are dead or slain because they turned Chaos, and the Captain losses an arm or something.
Cue a message from offworld: another world under attack. Captain solemnly nods as he crushes an item of his best friend's (something that identified him as unique), and then prepares the Thunderhawks. Movie ends as they warp out, and you get a good look of the Warp as they fly into its maw.
>>
Imperial Guard fighting xenos with an insidious Chaos threat in the background (all Cultists and traitors Imperial Guardsmen).

Have 1 or 2 Space Marines which allows them to be overpowered and true to fluff but very small in number so the more relatable human side of the Imperial Guard is not removed. Chaos Champion is the main antagonist along with the Xenos leader (Ork Warboss I guess).
>>
>>46486357
This is the best bet so far, because it's really generic and would have some neat scenes. Guaranteed success. The 2 hours of bloodbath one instead captures more the spirit of 40k (grim darkness only war) but it's not gonna sell
>>
>>46483022
Eisenhorn movies.
>>
File: MFW_Smeagol.jpg (53 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
MFW_Smeagol.jpg
53 KB, 250x250
>>46484166
>greedy

Oops. You've misspelt 'paranoid' anon. They'd eagerly take cash from Satan but would never share their IP with Hollywood for fear that someone else might profit from The Precious.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.