[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much would a health potion be worth in real life?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 8
File: health_potion_small.png (694 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
health_potion_small.png
694 KB, 1000x563
How much would a health potion be worth in real life?
>>
>>46479047
32,4 magic moneys
>>
>>46479047
How do you quantify its healing abilities outside of a lifepoint system? Does 5 points heal cuts, 10 points bones, 20 cancer?
>>
Millions.
http://www.the-american-interest.com/2013/02/23/u-s-hospitals-scandalous-price-gouging/
>>
this is really an important question. if you're asking what a small dose of panacea is worth it really depends on who's selling it.
>>
>>46479493
meant to reply to
>>46479467
>>
>>46479467
>20 cancer?

I would think cancer does ability score damage so it can't be fixed just with hit point healing
>>
What market are we talking about here? Local garage sale, or auction populated by high profile pharmaceutical company reps?
>>
>>46479531
dude, it's real life, not one of your B&B videobooks
>>
>>46479047
everything is worth as much as people willing to pay for it
>>
Supply vs demand.
>>
Depends on the setting.

But seriously, let's say that it was some kind of minor health potion, able to heal wounds, burns, cuts, whatever - but it could not bring back limbs or cure diseases.

Your biggest buyer would be governments and medical companies, the companies wanting to somehow replicate it and sell it to the mass market, while the government would attempt to do very much the same, except that that they would most likely attempt to weaponize and classify it.
>>
>>46479576
vs patent
>>
>>46479531
Health potions cause cancer.
Think about it they regenerate and rejuvenate tissue almost instantly. That's bound to run wild occasionally
>>
>>46479590
This.

Healing potions would not be widely available. They would likely be controlled and distributed by military and government agencies.
Likely if you wanted some for personal use, you'd have to go to the Russian black market or something.

Also,
>How much would a health potion be worth in real life?
About as much as one magma
>>
Entirely dependent on how difficult it is to make and how many people know how to make it.

If one guy working at big pharma new how? Then obscenely expensive, no matter how easy it would turn out the production is.

If it's something you can make in your own home lab if you have some alchemical know how like it's depicted in most fantasy settings? Cheap as dirt, but big companies might market more refined versions.
>>
>>46479047
A health potion costs like 30- 50 gold depending on the edition. A cow usually costs 50.

Back in the medieval fantasy land a cow probably was a 10 000 dollars or more investment. That of course depends on how modern you want to take this but other than that there we have it, It would equal at least 10 thousand dollars in the current times money which would be far out of reach for any peasant.
>>
I would say anything weak for cuts, scratches and the common cold $ 5 - 50. Anything for fractured bones, moderate burns and illnesses $ 500 - 5000. Broken bones, severe burns and life threatening illnesses $ 10000 - 50000. Shattered bones and incurable diseases would be well beyond what anyone could afford(100k - 1 million) Anything for immortality or resurrecting the dead would be priceless.
>>
>>46479670
>one magma
kek
>>
Depends on if they are able to be made and How easily, and how expensive it is to make I suppose
>>
>>46479047
Better question: How much would casting spells and crafting magical items cost?

Say like: the revival spell?
>>
What if health potion development was nationalized and funded by tax dollars? What would the implications be if the citizenry had open access to health potions at all times, not having to pay per use or per bottle?
>>
Pretty damn cheap considering that with modern mass production they could be churned out like any other kinds of drugs and would likely not be in drinkable form, but rather injectable suspensions and pills. Some patents might make more expensive if they were recenty discovered, but chinese would be synthethising stuff illegally. Latter could lead to dangerous non-working potions being sead, but cheap stuff is cheap stuff.
>>
>>46479836
So cows would be far too expensive for any peasant as well? How are they supposed to do their peasant stuff then?
>>
>>46480121
It would lead to nation of clinical immortals. Most likely reproduction would be banned or severely restricted.
>>
>>46479467
Well, most commoners have like 5hp if that, so on a good roll a potion of Cure Light Wounds would take you from being a chicken tender with a pulse to feeling fine instantly.

Potions of vigor or cure moderate would be priceless and much desired by the rich and powerful, unless they were insanely highly supplied.
>>
>>46479633
But technically they would also cure cancer (or atleast prevent it from causing any harm) by being health potions, so only issue is that when you got cancer you would be addicted to them.
>>
>>46479047
Potions of Cure X Wounds would likely be moderately expensive, but important parts of first aid kits and would see quite a bit of use in surgeries as a means of closing incisions quickly and effectively.

Potions of Restoration would be crazy expensive. Not only would they require expensive ingredients, their effects would make them highly sought after.
>>
>>46480285
Couldn't you just take more drastic measures against the cancer and use the potions to cover the damages?

I mean, one of the big problems of Cancer treatment is that the treatments have to not kill the patient.
>>
>>46479047
50 US Dollars.
>>46479429
No, amigo. 50 bucks.
>>46479485
I'm afraid you are wrong, the answer is fifty dollah.
>>46479493
They would still sell it for US$50,00
>>46479590
In Real life earth? 50 USD
>>46479670
One magma costs fiddy bucks though
>>46479738
All things considered? 50 dollars.
>>46480444
The average potion would cost fifty dollars though. American dollars.
>>
File: ebay-magic-potion-ban.jpg (63 KB, 640x390) Image search: [Google]
ebay-magic-potion-ban.jpg
63 KB, 640x390
>>46480514
FUn fact, most potions are around this price range.
>>
>>46480514
Underrated post.
>>
>>46480514
That's a convincing argument if I ever saw one.
>>
>>46480514
Well...I does feel good to see at least one thread in /tg/ with a conclusive answer instead of a lengthy discussion. Gonna be saving this to be an example of objectivity for future thread makers and thread goers.
>>
>>46480212
D&D commoner stats made me always laugh. If the average are so weak where the hell all the heroes and bad guys come from? It's hard to imagine such individuals being born from commoners because even at level one they're so vastly superior.
>>
>>46480591
Well, in my setting the average commoner is like...Level 3 and has 12 CON. It's not what the book says but it's like...Commoner can gain levels in being a commoner right? So someone who has farmed since they are a child would have gained at least some XP. So they gain levels in...Being a commoner. And while they might have a average of 10 across the board, they both raise states with farming and stuff (likely raising con), as well as they can have genetic predisposition to a higher or lowe stat. So yeah, very few people are a crude level 1 - 10 in all fields in my settings.
>>
>>46480541
Well, most drugs are too. Those drugs that work really good atleast. Very old drugs tend to be cheaper ofcourse. Some newer ones (patent stuff) also can be more close to 100 bucks though.

Source:
I have and have had tons of prescriptions for many different drugs
>>
>>46480591
Above averages.
>>
>>46479047
depends

If it only heals wounds and such, it might be pretty valuable but only in hospitals or ambulances. It wouldn't have much use in domestic circumstances (unless you for some reason have a risk to injure yourself pretty badly on a daily basis)

Health potions that heal deseases would be much more valuable and widespread, hence would cost more
>>
>>46479047
Depends on supply, manufacturing costs, and actual healing abilities. For reasonable maximum and minimum bounds, somewhere between $1 billion and $1.
>>
I don't see health potions being worth ALL that much except for military usage. Unless you are bleeding out very strongly it's nothing really more than an energy drink.

Now, Cure Disease. That's some mad money there
>>
>>46481051
But technically if health potions actually cause regeneration of tissues they will provide you immortality as well as cure for some diseases although you'd have to use them constantly to have good effects.
>>
>>46480146
More as like, they were luck enough to be born related to a badass adventurer who either caught them in the wild, or killed a guy who already owned them.

This may happen to them in the future as well.

Welcome to the circle of peasantry.
>>
File: tumblr_nqcmvp632R1uum06fo1_500.gif (971 KB, 500x260) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nqcmvp632R1uum06fo1_500.gif
971 KB, 500x260
>>46480285
Nah, ever seen what happens if you stay on the plane of positive energy too long? You explode into a blob of cancer like Tetsuo.
>>
>>46480591

One can conclude that your average D&D common is probably based on a caricature of the worst malnourished peasantry of early 20th century Eastern Europe, since that was the last time they existed in the western world in contemporary history and would have been the closest thing to a "historical" source prior to the advent of the internet (one must remember that it was through outdated studdies that things like "studded leather armour" came into being).

In other words, they have the build of a holocaust survivor.
>>
File: mfw.gif (212 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
mfw.gif
212 KB, 360x360
>>46479047
>How much would a health potion be worth in real life?

It'd be for free in Europe.
>>
>>46484079
"""""""""""""""""""""""""free"""""""""""""""""""""""""
>>
>>46484079
Newp. 50 euros.
>>
>>46479047
I'd say it's worth a Nobel Prize to the person that discovers the formula.
>>
>>46484963
Why are American health potions cheaper? Is it cause they're imports in Europe?
>>
>>46485125
US imports knockoff potions from China. You grow a new navel when you take one.
>>
>>46485321
That seems like something the FDA would ban
>>
>>46479047
$12 for a pack of 6, it seems.
http://www.manapotions.com/
>>
>>46484079
>Paying for it with taxes makes it free
>>
>>46479047
Market value
>>
>>46487498
...of fifty dollars.
>>
>>46479047
>>46479467

small hp potions are comparable to an asprin

medium hp potions are comparable to first aid kits

large hp potions are comparable to OSHA standard field medical bins
>>
>>46485722
>Other people paying for it with taxes makes it free

#ElfLivesMatter
>>
In the d20 Modern converting D&D item cost wise to Modern especially for Urban Arcaan games from GP to wealth DC was broke down like this; 1 GP = $20. You may also adjust the price of the item to account to rarity. Since basic healing potion in 5e are common enough to be in the PHB equipment table and cost 50 GP in modern day earth they would cost $1,000. Not unreasonable for enough healing bring the average joe back from the brink of death to just fine or at least a touch sore. It wouldn't cure poisons (just heal the damage from it), disease, or restore lost limbs.
>>
>>46479047
Cherry Cough Medicine, so basically complete shit
>>
>>46480514
>$50.00
More like tree fiddy
>>
>>46480285
Cancer is more ability score damage tho
>>
>>46485355
They're marked as "not for human consumption", so it's okay.
>>
Painkillers actually exist.
>>
>>46480541
>5 sold
what
the
fuck
>>
>>46484079
Those are some sexy eyebrows
>>
>>46479047
The first one = Millions / Billions
The first mass-produced series = Thousands
The second mass-produced series = Hundreds
>>
>>46479047
Significantly more in America than anywhere else.
>>
>>46480514
Plus shipping and handling.
>>
>>46494399
Those things don't heal anything. They just mask your pain by making you feel good.
>>
>>46479047

I have here one health potion
>And that will cure my cancer?
No, but as you are clearly of common (low-level) stock, this will raise you up to full health, mending all wounds...
>I'm not wounded.
... and giving you the energy of a full night's rest!
>...
>I already have coffee. I also have cancer.
Shall we start negotiations at the price of a late model sedan?
>Goodbye.
>>
>>46494887
And HP is actually an abstraction, not actual wounds. A "health potion" doesn't magically close wounds, it alleviates aches and pains so one can continue fighting/doing activities.
>>
>>46485722
Americans not only pay more for health care by themselves, they also pay more in taxes. The more you know.

>>46494400
People are amazingly gullible
>>
>>46494959
>A "health potion" doesn't magically close wounds
Actually it very specifically does.
>>
File: 3.5 Wizards.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
3.5 Wizards.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>46480591
Most npc characters should have at most 5 HD or levels for normal mortal characters
Players and most monsters are not normal mortals
They are basically superhuman a fighter can get dropped off a cliff and tank a dragons tail whip and keep going
And we all know what wizards can do
>>
>>46495101

It's not only that, but the fact that your commoner has less HP than a housecat or small dog that makes them ill-suited for...anything that would involve rough and tumble work they're supposedly meant to be doing.

These people are /unnaturally/ weak.
>>
File: 1371893928011[1].jpg (33 KB, 425x340) Image search: [Google]
1371893928011[1].jpg
33 KB, 425x340
>>46479047
>>
>>46495101
I don't argue that players aren't technically superheroes, but I was just wondering how come such weakling can give birth to superheroes/villains. It shouldn't be possible.
>>46495135
This too. What the fuck really.
>>
Seven
>>
>>46480285
No it wouldn't, because cancer isn't an injury, it's cells that are growing differently and out of control and don't work with the rest of your body. It might help with certain symptoms, but it would more likely make those cancer cells also grow faster and better. Healing cancer requires killing it with poison and hoping your body can hold out longer, using a health potion would most likely make you feel a little better while the cancer grows exponentially.
>>
>>46495384
Lets not forget that this is based on the assumption that Healing Potions interact with cancer in this way. There's no guarantee nor even evidence pointing towards that conclusion.

Its a conclusion based on head canon
>>
>>46479467
The last ~5 hit points in D&D are "real" hit points, in that if you lose them in a fight you have been actually stabbed with a sword and will probably die.

So a D&D healing potion would be give or take serious trauma surgery plus a week in bed - in a bottle. Maybe plus some other bits and bobs depending on what else it can fix.
>>
>>46494959
Yes it does. There is also a spell called cure light wounds, do you think that just makes you 'feel better'.

I wish DnD would do away with these fake wishy washy HP and make it actually sensible. Then heroes would have to depend on luck, judgement and skill instead of an inherently confusing and inconsistent system.
>>
>>46480514
Don't listen to that guy he's robbing you blind.
Buy from me for the low, low, price of just 49 real, genuine US dollar-y-didle-loonies.
That's right, 49 buckeroos. Four thousand, nine hundred government-minted American pennies.
$49.00(taxes and shipping rates not included in presented price. No refunds.)
Buy today!
>>
>>46480541
I needed money to bring my boyfriend over. This looks like a viable way to raise money while being a jobless student
>>
>>46494920
Then you go to sell to a hospital because you realized selling a health potion to one guy is beyond retarded.
>>
File: damn.png (762 KB, 500x585) Image search: [Google]
damn.png
762 KB, 500x585
>>46479467
>fighting evil orcs and shit
>receives an axe blow
>notcool.jpg
>finishes off the bastard, go to medic for healing
>medic patches me up, but tells me that axe gave me cancer
>fml
>mfw
>>
>>46479047
Is there just one in existence? Because it could maybe save the life of a really rich person who got in an accident or something. In that case, you could maybe get tens millions for it... maybe even hundreds of millions. That's assuming that people somehow knew what it did and you didn't just get murdered for it.

The more of them there are, the more the price drops, especially if it's capable of being manufactured. I mean, there are antibiotics and such that can save your life under certain circumstances and they don't necessarily cost exorbitant amounts. It's all about supply and demand. So really, with specific parameters, it's an impossible question to answer.
>>
>>46479047
Too lazy to link all posts. Supply and demand determines, + taxes etc. if it's easy to make it'll be cheap(ish)
>>
>>46480514
With or without Tax?
>>
>>46479047
A miraculous drug that seamless heal injuries with no side effects taking effect almost immediately after consumed?
It would costs all the money or lots and lots of whoring.
>>
>>46479047
How common is it? Are you the only one with access? Can you provide a lot or is it just the one bottle you've got? Can it restore lost limbs?

Potentially, if you're the only source, you might be able to sell a supply for hundreds of thousands, if not millions to a pharmaceutical company. Or perhaps you can get royalties.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.