[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If Circe was so good at transformation magic, why didn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: circe.jpg (406 KB, 700x1098) Image search: [Google]
circe.jpg
406 KB, 700x1098
If Circe was so good at transformation magic, why didn't she turn herself into a dragon or something and force Odysseus to obey her? Seems like a better plan than just hoping everyone would be too stupid to avoid eating her magical food.
>>
I'd let her turn me into a pig, though.
>>
because women tricking men into eating tampered food has happened for thousands of years.

women turning into dragons and forcing men to worship them has not.
>>
>>46474816
>women turning into dragons and forcing men to worship them has not

Well it should
>>
File: dragon_maleficent.jpg (104 KB, 808x752) Image search: [Google]
dragon_maleficent.jpg
104 KB, 808x752
>>46474816

Yeah?
>>
>>46475212
I don't think you know what "thousands of years" means...
>>
>>46474511
Because she was still a bitch and he still would have given her a righteous slap no matter how she was dressed up.
Preparing food is natural for a woman though.
>>
>>46474511

Because magic in mythology doesn't work like it does in D&D, you faggot.
>>
Because transformation was a punishment, not a powerup.
>>
>>46475952
This.

Circe used her magic to transform people into what they were on the inside or to change them though her own emotions into somethign to punish them for inciting those emotions (Scylla being the prime example of that, as envy made Circe pissed, so she made sure she would never be envious of Scylla again). She transformed Charybidis into a whirlpool because she was a greedy queen whose lands suffered for her insatiable desires. Men becoming pigs and dogs were due to their boorishness in trying to woo her, or their loyalty to Odysseus changing the into the most loyal of animals.

Sympathetic magic is the basis of most transformations. Magic=/=science.
>>
>>46476010

The question is, though, what would Circe have turned into if her magic was turned on her? Her dominant personality trait seems to have been pride.
>>
she wouldn't use her magic on herself because it's dangerous you retard

it turns people into wild animals or monsters
>>
>>46475212
Who wouldn't worship a dragoness Maleficent?
>>
>>46474511
Being good at transforming doesn't mean you can change yourself to not being retarded.
>>
>>46476041
A self important moth
>>
>>46476041
A small, spiteful and arrogant animal.

Maybe a cat.

Point being she wasn't a shapeshiftting druid, the transformations were never positive and were intentionally harmful
>>
>you will never force-feed Circe her own magical food and watch as she transforms into a wild beast

Feels bad, man. Dammit Ulysses you wasted a perfectly good fetish setup.
>>
>>46474511
>If Circe was so good at transformation magic, why didn't she turn herself into a dragon or something and force Odysseus to obey her? Seems like a better plan than just hoping everyone would be too stupid to avoid eating her magical food.

Because she was a "sorceress". Spellcasters in ancient stories all about tricks and poison and not about shooting lightning or turning into monsters.

Now if she had been a warrior or something, any magic she had would have been geared towards directly fucking your shit up.
>>
>>46479015
That's not how ancient magic ever worked.
>>
>>46479015

There are quite a few sorcerer/mage types in ancient legends who turn into monsters, but yeah circe wasn't one of them.

Isis of the egyptian pantheon was a very reclusive goddess focused on spellcasting and study, but she turned into a great serpent with magic to fuck people up personally when needed
>>
>>46474511
Did you not read it? She loved him, didn't want him dead. Just extremely spiteful
>>
>>46476041
A goddess.

She was the daughter of a Titan and primeval Chaos in some version, wehen she's depicted as a sorceress. The only reason she wasn't a goddess herself is because her father wasn't a god or a Titan, and most power descends from the father. Magic descends from the mother, hence her sorcery which she gained through her mother Hecate.

Now, int he OTHER versions, she's the daughter of Helios and an oceanid nymph, making her an actual goddess of magic.
>>
>>46479102
But what is love?
>>
>>46479197
baby don't hurt me
>>
Circe or Sersi?
>>
Odyssevs solved it with his DICK

do you really think her turning into a dragon would have changed anything
>>
>>46479086
>Isis of the egyptian pantheon was a very reclusive goddess focused on spellcasting and study, but she turned into a great serpent with magic to fuck people up personally when needed

When?
>>
>>46479059
>That's not how ancient magic ever worked.

Except it is.
>>
>>46485625
Name one mythological wizard that actually ever fucked up anyone who wasn't also a wizard up with horrific powerful magic.

Good luck.
>>
>>46487057
Apollonius fucked up ghosts, spirits, and monsters bro.

The thing is, you have to remember that there were -magos- which was what you called a wizard you didn't like. It had connotations of being a shyster, a mountebank, and if they had any power it was likely weak and relied on potions and trickery (It's been awhile, but I believe the etymology for sorcery has something to do with "going around" as in circumventing obstacles through trickery and deception). They were often women. But there were also -philosophers- like pic related who could talk the talk and walk the walk. Guy banished lamias and ghosts and wasn't afraid of anything.

Also Medea killed her romantic rival with a cursed shirt if that counts.
>>
File: Apollonius.gif (256 KB, 477x625) Image search: [Google]
Apollonius.gif
256 KB, 477x625
>>46488648
...And here's the pic.

Also, people are forgetting that Hermes gave Odysseus some mollyander before he confronted Circe. That was basically her kryptonite. She couldn't have transformed if she wanted to.

There's also the interpretation of that what's being described is Circe using herbology to mind fuck Odysseus' men so that they -act- like animals instead of actually turning them into animals.
>>
>>46474511
>Hoping that everyone would be too stupid to avoid eating her magical food

The whole point of Odysseus' crew was to play up his positive characteristics by acting as a foil. They're extremely stupid and never listen to him.

2/10 OP see me after class.
>>
File: THUMBS UP SOLDIER.jpg (4 MB, 3600x2400) Image search: [Google]
THUMBS UP SOLDIER.jpg
4 MB, 3600x2400
>>46478415
>>46478985
>Forced transformation into a catgirl
>She struggles with the hurt pride of losing her human looks while reveling in her new feline pride that tells her cats are the greatest creatures on Earth.

...Oh shit, I gave myself a new fetish.
>>
>>46488875

>she goes into heat at the sight of the hunky greek men
>>
File: 1442016374640.jpg (394 KB, 761x1000) Image search: [Google]
1442016374640.jpg
394 KB, 761x1000
>>46474511

Greek heroes would routinely wrestle dragons to death, so they were less well respected and/or powerful than pretty much ANY other greek monster, who were either truly gigantic and powerful (to the point that there's no tales of people defeating them, like Carybdis, who literally just sat in the mediterranean and murdered any passing ships and literally no one fucked with it) or they were just cooler than dragons, like medusae or even Cyclopses.

Actually, side question: Did the greeks have anything equivalent to zombies or vampires? I know they had shades and ghosts and skeletons, but did they had any more meaty undead?
>>
>>46488924
They had some "revenent" style ghosts according to Ogden. There's even a story about a man having a ghost waifu he could have sex with.

https://books.google.com/books/about/Magic_Witchcraft_and_Ghosts_in_the_Greek.html?id=ox3QRxWQQtcC
>>
>>46474914
I agree
>>
>>46488924
I've heard stories about vampires that supposedly have Greek origins. I have confirmed none of them.
>>
>>46488899
>she goes into heat at the sight of the hunky egyptian men's cats

ftfy
>>
>>46479059

Oh, then we're in agreement then. Like I said, sorcerer characters are wimpy sneaky treacherous types who didn't use blasty spells or turn into monsters to eat people.
>>
>>46490313
Well, we're about 100 miles away from the Carpathians, so the tribes responsible for a lot of vampire and werewolf legends aren't far off.
>Seriously, Zagreus is awezum.
>>
>>46488875

>catgirl Circe

Wouldn't she just turn herself back?
>>
>>46488924
Every culture has vampires. Greeks/Romans/Macedonians had a blood drinking owlwoman, various kinds of revenant and the superstition that redheads would remain youthful because they drank people's blood while they slept.
>>
>>46490241
I'm glad we've come to a mutual conclusion
>>
>>46496556
>Turn herself back
The idea is that she's being forced to do whatever Odysseus wants her to do by the moly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moly_(herb)

Don't kill the magic anon.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.