[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you ever play female characters? Why, think long and hard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: tumblr_nvekotFyAW1ufcfm2o1_1280.png (592 KB, 800x979) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nvekotFyAW1ufcfm2o1_1280.png
592 KB, 800x979
Do you ever play female characters?

Why, think long and hard about the answer, just why?
>>
why not?
>>
>>46465387
I don't, but i don't see the issue.
>>
>>46465387
>Do you ever play characters that are in any way different from you?
>Why, think long and hard about the answer, just why?
>>
i want to be a woman
>>
I can't be a cute girl IRL, but I can be a cute girl in a role-playing game. It's like playing an elf, only you get tits instead of darkvision.
>>
>>46465387
>Do you ever play female characters?
Yes.
I'm female. Hard to believe huh.
>>
>>46465387
Dat female Ocelot though. Unf.
>>
>think long and hard about the answer
I did

>just why?
Because it's fun
>>
>>46465467
Her face screams disability, though.
>>
>>46465387
Nope.

To be honest, just have no desire to.

Whether I have a problem with someone else doing so depends on the person. It is REALLY easy to pick out the guys playing girls for fetish purposes from the ones that are either really trying to do some acting or those that look at the party balance and decide, yeah, there could be more tits here.
>>
>>46465387
Yes OP, yes I have done so in the past.
And I'll tell you why. It's because it made for a better story that campaign.

Also, I got the compliment from both female players that I portrayed a woman in such a good way. Had a massive beard (neck and all) back then too.
>>
>>46465522
I recently learned, via Facebook, that one of the fattest, neckbeardiest guys I've ever met is trans grill now. Is it a coincidence or are neckbeards somehow good at being women?
>>
>>46465387

Yes.

Because I'm a slimy pathetic male who yearns to magical realm as a girl. I literally only do it for fetish, and the same goes for anyone else, whatever they say. I like picture my shapely bosom, ass and thighs. I like to pretend I can smell my own girl parts and sometimes touch them. I also like the illusion of power that comes from having absolute control over every aspect of my character who is nothing more than a female pawn tailored for my amusement.

There is literally no justifiable narrative reason to play as a female when you are a male IRL. There is no wriggling out of this. Pretending to be a girl for deep-rooted psycho-sexual reasons is all there is. If you can stand up and admit this then you've gone a long way into self-realization and should be commended for your honesty, even though you're as pathetic as I am.

So I'm fine with playing a girl, and with others who want to fantasize about being girls, because I'm aware of what I am and I'm not doing any harm to anyone else. Join me, my girl-playing brethren. Join me in self-honesty.
>>
>>46465387
>just why?
Because I played a guy the previous game.
>>
>>46465387

>Why
I guess for the same reason I never play characters who are children. I'm not one. I don't understand how they think. And pretending to be one in front of other people would make me feel weird, as well as come off fake and forced. I know this because I've done both as a GM, and it always felt awkward, and always came off as unnatural and stilted.
>>
>>46465409
/thread

Also to prevent sausagefests in the party.
>>
>>46465387
No.
Because I don't see the need to play one, and am not confident in my ability to not play one as "basically a dude with tits"
>>
>>46465599
The projection is crazy

I played a female because I was recycling an NPC from a campaign I made. I enjoyed her backstory, powers, and aspirations the most. It was a changeling the lost character.
>>
>>46465586
No clue. As far as i'm aware, i'm not trans or whatever the happy fun term is these days.

I recall just playing to my character's motivations and such. Then again, her being a woman wasn't pivotal to the plot.

Although she was responsible for the death and/or internment of the rest of the party.
1920's CoC hooooooooooooo!
>>
>>46465387
Because why would I play a male medusa?
>>
>>46465599
I respect you, anon.

I don't necessarily like you and you'd probably make me cringe hard at the table, but I respect your honesty.
>>
File: why not.png (256 KB, 425x408) Image search: [Google]
why not.png
256 KB, 425x408
>>
File: 1452750583261.png (569 KB, 588x412) Image search: [Google]
1452750583261.png
569 KB, 588x412
It kinda flings me out of the game, when someone plays as a character of a different gender. I don't think I'd ever do it.

Also, it seems like it'd be really hard to stick one female into a group of 5 fucking men, all of whom are /fit/ and attractive, and then say "and absolutely nothing happened during those 4 years of romantic questing and heart to hearts. She's going to fuck at least one of them, and playerxplayer romances sound a bit awkward.
>>
File: 1456090481426.jpg (320 KB, 1033x726) Image search: [Google]
1456090481426.jpg
320 KB, 1033x726
>>46465679
So it wouldn't go to your head
>>
>>46465387
Yes.
>why
In L5R I was playing the daughter of a previous character that I had played. The GM had moved the setting sufficiently along that it fit quite nicely, and it was interesting to play. Probably one of the best characters I've ever had the pleasure of playing.
And in DtD dryads are all female anyway. Plus the idea of a biotech megacorp as run by beings who lived for millenia was on I found amusing.
>>
>>46465387
First time came recently, when my previous character exploded, and I had to reroll.

Because variety, really. It was pointed out to me I hadn't really played any non-shitlord characters, and I was like "huh. Well, I've played elves, dwarves and orcs. Why not try a female, see how that works out?"
And so far it's fine, because my group and I are mature adults (about some things. We still giggle at Chuck Tingle book titles)
>>
>>46465387
Sometimes

Flip of the coin
>>
>>46465805
whoops, missed some >'s
>>
Because I like variation not just mechanically but visually, socially and culturally.
>>
>>46465387
No.
Because I'm a girl in real life and I hate it.
>>
>>46465599
Yes.

Because I'm a slimy pathetic human who yearns to magical realm as a dwarf. I literally only do it for fetish, and the same goes for anyone else, whatever they say. I like picture my shapely beard, axe and helmet. I like to pretend I can smell my own forge parts and sometimes touch them. I also like the illusion of power that comes from having absolute control over every aspect of my character who is nothing more than a dwarf stereotype tailored for my amusement.

There is literally no justifiable narrative reason to play as a dwarf when you are a human IRL. There is no wriggling out of this. Pretending to be a dwarf for deep-rooted psycho-neckbeardic reasons is all there is. If you can stand up and admit this then you've gone a long way into self-realization and should be commended for your honesty, even though you're as pathetic as I am.

So I'm fine with playing a dwarf, and with others who want to fantasize about being dwarves, because I'm aware of what I am and I'm not doing any harm to anyone else. Join me, my dwarf-playing brethren. Join me in self-honesty.
>>
>>46465805
>>46465599

Yes.

Because I'm a slimy pathetic human who yearns to magical realm as a elf. I literally only do it for fetish, and the same goes for anyone else, whatever they say. I like picture my shapely ears. I like to pretend I can smell my own tree sap and sometimes touch it. I also like the illusion of power that comes from having absolute control over every aspect of my character who is nothing more than a elf stereotype tailored for my amusement.
>There is literally no justifiable narrative reason to play as a elf when you are a human IRL. There is no wriggling out of this. Pretending to be a elf for deep-rooted psycho-neckbeardic reasons is all there is. If you can stand up and admit this then you've gone a long way into self-realization and should be commended for your honesty, even though you're as pathetic as I am.
>So I'm fine with playing a elf, and with others who want to fantasize about being elves, because I'm aware of what I am and I'm not doing any harm to anyone else. Join me, my elf-playing brethren. Join me in self-honesty.
>>
File: OneSmugMan.png (563 KB, 861x990) Image search: [Google]
OneSmugMan.png
563 KB, 861x990
>>46465387
Yes.

Because it's cool, and because I feel like it. What are you, a faggot?
>>
>>46465387

Yes.

Because I'm a slimy pathetic dwarf who yearns to magical realm as an elf. I literally only do it for fetish, and the same goes for anyone else, whatever they say. I like to picture my shapely ears, almond eyes and height. I like to pretend I can smell my own elf parts and sometimes touch them. I also like the illusion of power that comes from having absolute control over every aspect of my character who is nothing more than a elven pawn tailored for my amusement.

There is literally no justifiable narrative reason to play as an elf when you are a dwarf IRL. There is no wriggling out of this. Pretending to be an elf for deep-rooted psycho-sexual reasons is all there is. If you can stand up and admit this then you've gone a long way into self-realization and should be commended for your honesty, even though you're as pathetic as I am.

So I'm fine with playing an elf, and with others who want to fantasize about being elves, because I'm aware of what I am and I'm not doing any harm to anyone else. Join me, my elf-playing brethren. Join me in self-honesty.
>>
>>46465599
>>46465805
>>46465883
>>46465897

That's some spicy pasta anons.
>>
Yeah. I will flip a coin to determine gender on character creation. Heads male, tails female; I've mostly ended up playing males but plenty of my female characters have seen just as much if not more play in some cases.
>>
>>46465387

Yes.

Because I'm a slimy pathetic fighter who yearns to magical realm as a wizard. I literally only do it for fetish, and the same goes for anyone else, whatever they say. I like picture my shapely hat, robes and spellbook. I like to pretend I can smell my own wizard parts and sometimes touch them. I also like the illusion of power that comes from having absolute control over every aspect of my character who is nothing more than an arcane pawn tailored for my amusement.

There is literally no justifiable narrative reason to play as a wizard when you are a fighter IRL. There is no wriggling out of this. Pretending to be a wizard for deep-rooted psycho-sexual reasons is all there is. If you can stand up and admit this then you've gone a long way into self-realization and should be commended for your honesty, even though you're as pathetic as I am.

So I'm fine with playing a wizard, and with others who want to fantasize about being wizards, because I'm aware of what I am and I'm not doing any harm to anyone else. Join me, my wizard-playing brethren. Join me in self-honesty.
>>
I can see that you've thought long and hard about this one OP, why don't you share your own feelings on the topic?

I make about 50/50 male/ female characters, but usually it's the male characters that make it to the table since I'm not big on text games and I haven't had enough practise at pitching my voice correctly I got linked to a guide for how to do it better here, actually... all I recall was that it was a pastebin doc for m->f trannys or something any links would be appreciated since the exercises were intersting and the end result a neat party trick at least.
>>
>>46465387
No, but I want to.

Usually its just to adapt a female character from some other fiction to the current game cause I like their narrative and would like to see more of it. Even if I am just making it up.
That, or it just feels "right".

So far I really want to play as Painwheel from Skullgirls. Although I'll probably end up being the wife of my current PC first (but for that to make narrative sense I need him and the son to die, revenge is best served alone).

Also
>"I dont want to rp that because I dont know how they would think"
What is acting?
>>
>>46465387
Just because. Literally hasn't made a difference in how I play my character except in the slightest, most superficial ways.
>>
>>46466052
>>"I dont want to rp that because I dont know how they would think"

I don't get how people think that about female humans. I mean, if it was a shardmind or a gnoll or something then alright. But women really aren't that different from men, and neckbeards who think they are are like MGTOW levels of stupid.
>>
Yes. And it is because some times I like to try different archetypes and character aspects and I think some of those aspects are more entertaining on a female character.
>>
Nah. I'm a dude, I think it's kind of weird to play a girl.

Well, it's less that it's weird, and moreso that I don't think I could do the character any justice, so I simply don't do it. I write female characters for various stories, and I always crosscheck it with a lot of female friends to make sure they sound/act believably for a woman.

But I also find it annoying when somebody plays a super nice, intelligent orc pacifist. It's not that it can't be done well, but the people who do it generally don't place much, if any thought towards the cultural implications of a character that outwardly denies or rejects a cultural consistency. Most dudes who play chicks are just roleplaying male characters and claiming they have a vagina. You could switch their genders around and little to nothing would change. That's silly.
>>
>>46465387
Because I am? But I also play male characters, and the reason for that is to develop roleplaying skills and the ability to portray different types of character.
You should try challenging yourself.
>>
>>46466114
If you don't understand how being a woman causes fundamentally different behavioral tendencies than being a man, you're not in a position to be discussing what is and isn't stupid.
>>
>>46465387
Sure.

Obviously because I want to be a woman, and not because I like some varianceand difference from myself in my characters.
>>
File: elf officer.jpg (68 KB, 412x760) Image search: [Google]
elf officer.jpg
68 KB, 412x760
Because I can't be a turbo-slut irl without serious consequences (since graduating college), and roleplaying is about escape from the banality of reality.
>>
>>46466152
>Most dudes who play chicks are just roleplaying male characters and claiming they have a vagina. You could switch their genders around and little to nothing would change. That's silly
It's silly to hold the standard of everyone being able to play their PC with all the depth and pathos of a master dramatist. The deficiencies that make a boring PC aren't affected by it being the same or different gender as the player. Come up with a better objection.
>>
>>46466187

TENDANCIES, anon. You said it right there. Even you, who at least borders on MGTOW levels of stupid, still managed to blearily glimpse through the fog of your dim mind that it's not something deterministic or absolute.

So unless you're about to argue that female characters should always follow the path of least resistance and play the feminine stereotypes to the max, you don't have an argument at all.
>>
>>46466187
In an improvisational fantasy adventuring environment you would expect there to be are massive differences between two characters that are the same in every way but gender?
>>
>>46466152
>Most dudes who play chicks are just roleplaying male characters and claiming they have a vagina. You could switch their genders around and little to nothing would change. That's silly.

No, it's pretty fine. I can think of people I know IRL who would stay the same if their gender switched.
>>
>>46465387
Yes.

Because I'm a slimy pathetic longsword who yearns to magical realm as a katana. I literally only do it for fetish, and the same goes for anyone else, whatever they say. I like picture my shapely ha, tsuba and tsuka. I like to pretend I can smell my own samurai wielder and sometimes touch him. I also like the illusion of power that comes from having been folded over a million times to produce the finest blade known to mankind.

There is literally no justifiable reason for all this "Masterwork Bastard Sword" bullshit that's going on in the d20 system right now. There is no wriggling out of this. Pretending to be a katana for deep-rooted psycho-weeaboo reasons is all there is. If you can stand up and admit this then you've gone a long way into self-realization and should be commended for your honesty, even though you're as pathetic as I am.

So I'm fine with playing katana, and with others who want to fantasize about being katanas, because I'm aware of what I am and I'm not doing any harm to anyone else. Join me, my katana-playing brethren. Join me in commissioning a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that's about $20,000).
>>
>>46466299

Of course it's not deterministic or absolute, any more than my argument has to be that a female must adhere to every behavioral tendency of their culture.

I can however, call it bullshit when somebody plays a female character that expresses NO behavioral tendencies relative to the culture they were raised in.

So unless you're about to argue that it's somehow stupid for a man or woman to recognize that they do not fully comprehend all of the social minutiae required to accurately portray an individual of the opposite gender, even in order to determine which tendencies you'd like to adhere to and which ones you wouldn't, you've got no argument at all.

So yeah, take your snowflake " MY SHITTY WRITING IS GOOD BECAUSE WOMEN AREN'T ALL THE SAME " bullshit and leave, you ignorant prod.
>>
>>46466253
>Because I can't be a turbo-slut irl without serious consequences (since graduating college)
Why not?
>>
>>46466313
I dunno. Depends on to what extent the environment is improvised, honestly! If the setting is fully realized, with different cultural expectations and obligations for men and women, I'd expect a gender change to cause the character's behavior to differ wildly, due to different expectations causing different perceptions and reactions to their decisions and events in their lives. It's not a big surprise for a man to become a Knight in medieval europe. It'd be worth gossip about if a woman did.
>>
>>46466315

I dunno. I disagree. I feel like changing gender invites a whole myriad of different results in regards to your interactions with society as a whole, and even really deterministic and anti-social individuals would have highly different responses to how the world treated them if their gender were reversed.

Maybe you've had better experiences with tabletop stuff, but most of the dudes I've played with who try and portray women do a pretty off job of it, as far as I can tell.
>>
>>46466470

STIs, professional reputation, risk of pregnancy, loss of social status etc.
>>
>>46465387
Miller-chan is best girl
>>
>>46465387
Is she supposed to look braindead?
>>
>>46466114
>But women really aren't that different from men...
They're very different. Pretending otherwise is disingenuous moral posturing that is typically done, ironically enough, specifically to appeal to females with complexes about their vaginas.
>MGTOW levels of stupid.
See, this is what I'm talking about. There are plenty of things as stupid as a stereotypical MGTOW person that you could have compared to this mindset to. You chose it specifically because you wish to paint anyone who disagrees with you as a non-competitive and pathetic male. It's entirely an aesthetic position.

I imagine a good deal of females would disagree with you too.
Hell, most females I know think they're better than men, rather than merely "different" from them.
>>
>>46465387
Yes

>Why
For the same reason any character I play has any quality, it seemed the best fit for that character. I don't play characters to be self-inserts. If anything I make a conscious effort not to. I play characters because I think they're interesting characters, and I want to see and craft their adventures. I want to see them interact with other interesting characters, and develop, with on the fly character arcs and character development. The characters aren't supposed to be reflections of me, and certainly aren't indicative of who I want to be.

It's roughly 50/50 I would say, in terms of gender, with a leaning towards men, maybe more 60/40. In the most recent long term campaign I've been in, I've played 4 characters. 1 woman, 2 men, and 1 genderless, shapeshifting abomination that spent most of it's time in a female form for those sessions, and who the other players refer to as female. But the woman and abomination both lasted a lot longer than either of the men, who ended up dying really early, so it balanced out.
>>
>>46465387
Sometimes in vidya if they look better than the guys, or the play style I want to use happens to be on a female character.

In non-vocal roleplay, occasionally. I write as a hobby anyway so it's not difficult to separate myself from a character when using text (also, text usually has an implied time buffer which lets me plan more convincing dialogue).

In person or over voice? Never. I'm a shitty RPer when I actually have to talk because people are expecting shit off-the-cuff and I'm bad at that kind of thing, so the fewer differences I have to take into account the better.
>>
>>46465387
I generally don't, but I have. But I also don't prefer to play up their femininity.
>>
>>46465463
The novelty wore off after curzefag revealed she had a smelly cunt tbqhwy.
>>
Yes.

Because the character that coalesces in my head is female.
>>
>>46465460
elf girls have both though
>>46465463
I came here to say exactly this
>>
File: DnD Group.jpg (58 KB, 512x396) Image search: [Google]
DnD Group.jpg
58 KB, 512x396
>>46465387
She was one of four siblings I wrote up as NPC City Guard turned adventurer.
This was during the D&D Next Playtest, and the playtesting group I found needed a Wizard.
Since the Mookerson Sisters were the Wizard and the Cleric, and they all had 14 in every stat, I just used her.
The look on the Party's faces when she shank a monster with her +2 Strength Mod...

>>46465499
>Her face screams disability, though.
Indeed, total ahoge face...
>>
>>46465387
Yes.
It offers a different perspective...As in I actually feel valued from the get go instead of only after doing something very difficult. It's also nice to be competent as a female since you not only hold actual power but social power as well. It is very empowering. I usually only do this AFTER I played a male though, because I want to self insert first, then tinker later.
>>
>>46467045
>elf girls
>tits
Pick one
>>
>women aren't all that different, gosh!
>no! A woman wouldn't do that! you're just playing a man with tits!
>>
>>46465387
I have played one female character so far.

The reason I made her was to try and defeat a stereotype I was building in my own mind - the male characters were always tough and quiet, while the female characters were tomboyish, emotional, and talkative. I ended up playing straight into my own rules, but I enjoyed the character far more for it just because I'd been playing the straight man so long.
>>
>>46467156
I didn't say big tits
but they have cute little a cups
>>
>>46466511
Have you heard of "condoms"?
>>
This thread sure is going places.
>>
>>46465387
Because I am gender-fluid.
>>
File: 1402540398648.jpg (271 KB, 931x1000) Image search: [Google]
1402540398648.jpg
271 KB, 931x1000
>>46467412
We can drag it somewhere useful if we try.

I find that when roleplaying a female character, it's far more important to focus on the character than 'acting like a girl.' This helps keep you focused on what you want to do with the character, and keeps you from spilling spaghetti and acting overly slutty. BUT don't entirely divorce the two. Just be reasonable and focus on anything girly more sparingly. Like, occasionally commenting on a cute guard every few small towns. Don't get too stuck in a character that you've boxed yourself in and can't wriggle around.

If you really need guidance, I'd recommend starting by copying a book character more or less. There are a lot of fantasy novels out there with pretty good female protagonists - Sabriel, Green Rider, The Thief's Gamble.
>>
File: 742.png (264 KB, 399x453) Image search: [Google]
742.png
264 KB, 399x453
>>46467516
Will lowering your body temperature make you gender solid?
>>
>>46466114
Neurology is constantly discovering new and exciting ways in which men and women are different.

Although this feminist "women understand men but men can never understand women" bullshit gets tiresome pretty quickly. Any casual read through a woman's/gender studies text book will show you that women barely have any idea what men even are let alone have any idea of what a man might actually be thinking. And that shit is supposedly written by the smartest women alive too.
>>
woosh
>>
Because I liked Diablo II Lord of Destruction, and my class of choice was the Assassin.
>>
File: sensible chuckle.gif (993 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
sensible chuckle.gif
993 KB, 250x250
>>46467594
>>
>>46467594
We could just increase the atmospheric pressure.
>>
yes, because I am actually female and there is a general assumption that my character will be too. I must be a bad role player because the few times I've tried to act out a dude they keep default assuming it's a girl, and I really don't want to be THAT whiny asshole at the table who keeps making a fuss about gender.
There's also already one of those guys at the table who usually plays a female, and it is really fucking annoying when he starts whining if his character is called a male, so. One is enough.
>>
>>46467902
Make sure to clarify that your character is a male if you're playing one. And keep clarifying it until they get it. It's not being a whiny asshole, it's just keeping at it until it sticks enough you don't have to get after them.

If you like playing female characters and prefer that to not making a fuss about gender, that's cool. But sometimes it frustrates me when I come into a game and people don't even bother to ask my character's name, let alone about race or looks or gender.
>>
>>46465387
Only in video games; because I like looking at a female form more than male.
>>
File: 1347670790180.jpg (9 KB, 232x217) Image search: [Google]
1347670790180.jpg
9 KB, 232x217
>>46467902
Attempt a male voice. For reasons.
>>
>>46465387
I run a ERP campaign.
>>
Cause I can do a female voice and I've played with a bunch of girls that say my voice is pretty well done.

Weird when we got our characters into a lesbian relationship. Oh well, fuck men!
>>
>>46468333
So...do you play female characters?
>>
>>46468348
This just sounds like creepy closet tranny self loathing coming from a dude.
>>
>>46467516
This is 4chan, not Tumblr. Take your delusions elsewhere.
>>
>>46468307
Dr. Mrs. The Monarch detected.
>>
How should one play as a female character? What feminine traits should be taken into consideration when playing one?
>>
>>46468433
Yes. I play a 6 and a half foot tall female character.
>>
>>46468586

Menstruation.
>>
>>46465387

No.

Why: Because I'm a male, and I enjoy playing male characters. I do not feel any form of guilt about this.
>>
File: allofmyboners.jpg (67 KB, 512x768) Image search: [Google]
allofmyboners.jpg
67 KB, 512x768
>>46465387
Because sometimes I have a character story that involves a female.

Now that I think about it I've only played a female twice:

1. A 3-session side-story, character was an elderly woman who died in the story (not planned). She was my 'main-campaign' character's mother, looking through the ruined city for my 'actual' character. She never found him.

2. Daughter of one of my previous characters. Pissed off at her old man for granting her younger brother her inheritance and giving her nothing but an ugly suitor she refused.

You play a female when your story involves a female. It's not that hard.
>>
>>46465387
Is it weird that I've never played a female character? I just don't feel particularly inspired playing as the opposite gender.
>>
File: 1450312903679.png (209 KB, 698x515) Image search: [Google]
1450312903679.png
209 KB, 698x515
>>46465387
Why not?
>>
>>46468307
actually the closest I can get to a male voice is when I get a terrible cold, and gaming while sick is no bueno.
the only voice(s) I feel confident in doing would probably be far too annoying to actually bust out at the table. So the valley girl sorceress and the child voiced halfling will forever remain unrealized.
>>
>>46467045
Elven tits have darkvision?
>>
>>46468743
Social stigma, 'why play a female when you can play a male,' etc etc.
>>
>>46468848
Maybe I just don't play with a autistic spergs, but I've never had to deal with any of that.
>>
>>46468881
Don't you ever worry what people think of you? I do. Almost all the time.
>>
>>46468752
You know that voice so many girls put on when they're quoting they're boyfriends and are mad at them?

Use that.
>>
>>46465456
this
>>
>>46468920
Well, now I'm thinking you're a beta faggot.

So that backfired on you.
>>
>>46468796

No, it's like beholders, each seperate tit has a different ray coming out of it, with the central tit producing an antimagic field.
>>
>>46465387
I got a 1 on the 1d4 during chargen.
>>
I've played a wide variety of characters, two of my all time favorites having been female. One a tall, buff arch militant with a severe case of being competitive and desiring to be the strongest around, the other a mad elven healer in The One Ring, yellowed teet, hunched posture, proper yandere eyes and all, obsessed with curing every illness she came across.
They were immense fun to play, and the fact that they were women rarely if ever really came up (apart from my elven woman once cleaning up and pretending to be some mythical forest creature seducing a bandit away from camp by showing a leg behind a tree here, a bit if waist through some shrubs there, all so we could interrogate him. Unfortunately one of the (actual female) players unknowingly to the party put a spike at the bottom of the old wolf trap we were luring him into, killing him and depriving us of the information we were after... damn it, washed off the grime, pulled out all the twigs and pipes put of my hair and straightened my posture for noting! Not to mention the legendary success I rolled for seduction...
>>
>>46465387
Every once in a great while. I usually stick to a general playstyle but sometimes I'll make a character that's the complete opposite of the way I usually play. I figure I might as well be the opposite gender if everything else is opposite.

And that is all the thought I've ever given it.
>>
>>46469043
Okay? I guess that means you win somehow?
>>
>>46468971
lol now all I can imagine is "I'm so mad at my dumbass boyfriend I became an adventurer" as a back story.
>>
File: 1458853908862.png (243 KB, 490x490) Image search: [Google]
1458853908862.png
243 KB, 490x490
>>46468593
Now we're talking.
>>
I pick a gender that I think will fit the character best

I rolled up a crazy witch recently so of course she was going to be an elderly female
>>
>>46465387
To get used to having to make male and female NPCs in games I run, and to recycle other pcs when I get stuck on important people from my roster and games the players aren't in.
>>
>>46467266
Fair enough
>>
>>46466712
You and your previous five posts are insufferable
>>
My next character is female, basically a Joan of Arc Paladin expy using the Chosen One archetype in Pathfinder, but now I'm second guessing it thanks to this thread.
>>
>>46467523
Jesus fuck, you don't need to slut it up to play a female character.
>>
Occasionally.

Because I like to play different types of character. Gender is a thing that makes characters distinct. I can hardly do a Widowmaker-type 1800s female assassin as a guy.
>>
Yes, I'm playing one right now.

Because sometimes it fits the story I try to tell with my character. It's the same reason I think nothing of roleplaying a female NPC when I DM. Right now I'm playing a female PC because our party recently lost it's female compatriots they're used to traveling along with my previous character, so I wanted to balance out the genders a bit. Being female also added a bit to my character concept I think, so it was a natural thing to do.

I don't think of characters as extensions of myself, just characters with their own ideas and development. Roleplaying a female is no different than describing an animal companion, or a monster, or some kind of otherwordly creature or race. It's only weird if you make it weird.
>>
File: 1412930168368.png (47 KB, 500x430) Image search: [Google]
1412930168368.png
47 KB, 500x430
>>46465387
>wanna play a female once and a while
>everyone thinks its weird when others do it
>DM constantly for the sole reason that I get to play the NPC and always sneak in the characters as party support characters
I don't even really like DMing
>>
>>46465387
yes, because it leads to hilarious situations with friends
>>
>>46465387
Barbarian halfling. Raised by a giantborn adoptive father, and uneducated, so she's just waiting for her growth spurt.

Mostly because I've never played a female before, and wanted to see how I hack it. Turns out, if your response to genitals is the same as your response to combat (rip and tear), people stop asking. Of either gender. Makes the game a lot simpler.
>>
>>46470704
>so she's just waiting for her growth spurt
that's fucking cruel, man
>>
Depends on the character concept. A PTSD-riddled escaped drow pleasure slave in a zombie apocalypse doesn't jive right as a female, while a paladin/cleric of Ilmater seems to fit a matronly mother trope way better than a dude, If the character concept doesn't work as one gender and I like it enough I'll play the other. Who cares?
>>
>>46465387
I have done it twice in an attempt to make characters that are different.
One was an autistic time oracle and the other was SUPPOSE to be a veteran coming back to the business to deal with some stuff but unfortunately both characters ended up turning into exactly what I always play.
>Human(or might as well be human since it never comes up in RP)
>Hotshot
>Braggadocious
>Melee damage monster

I think it is comes from me wanting to play something feminine or cute but as soon as the party starts ignoring me I fall back on what I know to try and be entertaining.

How could not a single boy ask me to dance ;_;
>>
File: 1457988755882.jpg (70 KB, 540x368) Image search: [Google]
1457988755882.jpg
70 KB, 540x368
>>46470704
>Barbarian halfling. Raised by a giantborn adoptive father, and uneducated, so she's just waiting for her growth spurt.
That's brilliant.
>>
>>46465387
in a game where i can pretend to be an elf or a gnome or an orc, i can pretend to be a woman, it's really no different.
>>
>>46465387
Do you often make shitty threads asking the same question that gets asked every singke day?

Why, think long and hard about the answer, just why?
>>
>>46471395
>Do you often make shitty threads asking the same question that gets asked every single day?
Yes he does, why do you think the threads get made every day?
>>
I find that the key to playing a female that's not just "male PC, but with tits" is to from time to time made the issue surface.

A few sessions ago one player referred my character as "him" so I figure it was time to remind them. My party (who are all male PCs) have a habit of asking the DM "on a scale of 1 to 10 how attractive is she" when they meet a new female NPC. So the session after that I made a point of asking the DM to rate the attractiveness of a retired male advanturer that we ran into.

Don't be stupid and over do this though. The party doesn't need to hear you run to the bathroom every 5 minutes because you broke a nail. Everything in moderation.
>>
>>46465387
Because I feel like it.
>>
>>46468586
This might surprise you, but there's no overarching unifying character trait for women, as there isn't for men.
Just play your character, faggot.
>>
>>46465738
Why the fuck not? I never fucked any of my dancing partners back when I was touring, and I've had heart to hearts that I never even had with my husband.

Though I can totally get the wenches and ale bards.
>>
>>46465738
Easy, just fuck the NPCs
>>
>>46471631

But >>46467188
>>
>>46471694
stop playing with teenagers
>>
>>46466508
Maybe they feel off because your own psychological bias when you see a man role-playing a woman instantly dismisses whatever action that isn't 100% stereotypically female.
>>
>>46471740
Alright, but then what about the undeniably adult feminists who criticize some strong female characters as men with tits?
>>
>>46471776
They're being faggots. Ignore them.
>>
>>46465387
Because I like female characters better than males one most of the time.
>>
>>46471816
Same, I feel like male protagonists in modern media are a really narrow stereotype of man, and playing as a female character gives me greater artistic freedom.
>>
>>46471776
>>
>>46469088
so do you need to hold them up in front of your eyes to see or is it like highbeams on a car?
>>
>>46466321
Two servings of pasta on one plate. Simply delicious.
>>
>>46466430
Um, no player can fully comprehend the culture of 'fantasy medieval places filled with literally different sentient races ( and their necessarily differing cultures) all slammed together in one place.

No player has a frame of reference.
Your argument might hold for playing non humans, but not for playing humans of the other gender.
>>
>>46471911
You know the story behind Ripley was that the role was written for a man and they changed it last minute because original actor bailed on them and Sigourey Weaver was "close enough", right?
>>
File: rlee-ermey.jpg (24 KB, 512x603) Image search: [Google]
rlee-ermey.jpg
24 KB, 512x603
>>46465387
Yes.

Because it's fun? I often randomly determine that stuff for my characters since it really doesn't matter. The vast majority of them are straight, too. I have also played two gay men, and I myself am straight. Also a few brown men, and I myself am white. I'm like your antithesis, I think. Feels good, man.
>>
Yes, for a few reasons.

- It is statistically implausible for none of my adventuring parties to actually feature a female character. They usually take place in pretty gender egalitarian settings.

- There are certain character narratives and themes that I believe are more effective when the character in question is female.

- I'm roleplaying to be something UNLIKE me. If I wanted to be me during this space of time I would go out and do some work or talk to some people or exercise or whatever. If it's on the table to explore what I would do if granted a heroic quest or godlike power, then it's on the table to at least think about what being female entails in the setting.
>>
>>46465387
Not quite half of the mostly-human characters I play are female. If I play some weird four-legged centaur lizard or something, it's different enough that gender hardly moves the needle, and I just default to male. I'd say that maybe 4 out of 5 of my characters are basically human, and 4 out of 10 of those are female, which means that roughly a third of the time, I'm playing a chick.

I'd say that the responsibility is on you to tell me why I should bar myself from playing a category of people that comprises half of the world's population.
>>
>>46465387
Yes.

Because it bothers me when everyone in the group is the same gender or the same race. I don't really give a shit about diversity, but if everyone in the party is playing the same thing and I have the option not to, I will generally always choose not to.

To be fair, this situation almost never turns up outside of games where it's a chargen rule that everyone is X race or Y gender, but in the few instances it does I feel compelled to pick the thing that's not like the others.
>>
>>46472220
Are you really criticising the Alien movies?
>>
File: ramira.jpg (65 KB, 387x700) Image search: [Google]
ramira.jpg
65 KB, 387x700
>>46465387

I'm currently playing a lady elf necromancer in a friends DnD campaign.

>Why?

Never played an elf, a woman (I'm a guy), or a necromancer (always wanted to but I usually go for either a barbarian or cleric)

overall it was suggested that I break my comfort zone and honestly so far it's been a barrel of laughs.
>>
File: gwe9uagdbdfuwz6ghowg.jpg (53 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
gwe9uagdbdfuwz6ghowg.jpg
53 KB, 800x450
>>46472319
>I just want to play a game where we are a bunch of buddies traveling around,having adventures and shooting the shit around the fire.
>Everyone wants to play all these crazy different things
Its suffering ;_;
>>
File: giphy.gif (911 KB, 270x214) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
911 KB, 270x214
>>46466430
You're sounding pretty tumblr there.
tl,dr
>>
>>46472462
Have you considered that's because you don't know the players well enough to be shooting the shit with them in real life anymore than the characters know each other.
>>
>Do you ever
Rarely ever.
>Why
Because I'm not a cancerous permavirgin weeaboo faggot making up for my lack of social interactions and relationships by making everything about wankbait.
>>
>>46473068
>Because I'm not a cancerous permavirgin weeaboo faggot making up for my lack of social interactions and relationships by making everything about wankbait.
Maybe not, but from that sentence it's pretty clear you're compensating for at least something.
>>
>>46473216
>You're not a braindead retard, so you have to be compensating

Beating a quadriplegic at basketball doesn't make me a pro athlete.
>>
>>46465387
Done it twice.
Well, the first time was in a MAID game. I rolled a d2 to choose whether I'd be a maid or butler and ended up being a maid.
The second time was in a Ryuutama campaign where everyone else was already playing a girl and I felt like being the only guy in an all-girl party would be awkward.
>>
>>46465387
Because games are for fun and to do things you can't just do in life. I want to be a dragonman. I want to shoot magic from my finger tips. I want to summon rain or cleave my foes apart with a giant weapon. And sometimes I want to do that as a female for the added difference. Just because why not?
>>
>>46473238
Anybody who strings "cancerous", "permavirgin", "weeaboo" and "faggot" together without actually being in the middle of a fight is a sperg with some issues he's clearly trying to distract himself from.
>>
>>46473324
Anyone who thinks that choices of words especially when talking about weeaboos implies anger or projection is one of the things said person was laughing about.

Sorry weeaboo. Maybe you'll one day move out of your Mom's basement and get laid. Maybe.
>>
>>46465387
>that ocelot

My legends is coming back to life. More?
>>
>>46473340
Yeah. We totally shouldn't judge you on the basis of the immaturity of your words, but on how hard you're trying to be cool. After all, what's cooler than somebody trying really hard to be cool?
>>
>>46465387
Even after being 63'ed, Miller is still angry as fuck.
>>
>>46465387
Tabletop RPGs: Forever DM.
Vidya RPGs: Yes, sometimes, to add some aesthetical variety to my overall range of playable characters.
>>
Because sometimes my coin toss to choose character gender lands on tails.
>>
As a change of pace.

It's fairly rare for me though, since I usually GM and have to play as female characters as a matter of course.
>>
>>46465387
GMs do it all the time. Most seem to realize the secret to doing it well, even if they're not conscious of it: they have female AND male npcs behave according to their station and goals.

A queen is going to act a certain way not because she has tits, but because she is a queen and there are certain ways a queen is expected to act. A bunch of bandits are going to act like commoners who think their crappy little swords mean they get to have your valuables. A warlord is going to conquer because he wants access to the resources and wealth he gets through conquest. A warlady is going to conquer because she too wants access to wealth and resources.

It's not "playing a man with tits", it's playing a character whose behavior is explained by something that has nothing to do with whether they have tits or not.
>>
File: 1456194921747.jpg (835 KB, 986x1000) Image search: [Google]
1456194921747.jpg
835 KB, 986x1000
>>46465387
I play female characters because I love women for what they could/should be, not for what they are.

Go ahead, accuse me of sexism.

>>46465456
>>46469028
Who the hell doesn't? What man, if asked to reply honestly and in private, doesn't want to live in objective easy modo? There's literally no downside worth mentioning.
>>
>>46473908
I dont think it's any easier, it's just less variable.

Chicks usually fall into the middle-rungs of society, glass ceilings on the way up and a safety net on the way down.

Guys are more able to get to the very tops and the very bottoms.
>>
>>46473908
Give this man a medal.
>>
>>46473921
>Guys are more able to get to the very tops and the very bottoms.
And where do you think guys are more likely to end up? Let me give you a tip: America has more homeless people than millionaires.

And even then, do you think the latter is a fucking advantage in and of itself or a reproductive strategy? Why earn a million dollars when you can marry a million dollars? You people need to get it into your skulls that women are the selective gender and can choose with impunity the whoever they deem the best candidate, which tends to be the most "generous" candidate (in the long term at least, short term generosity creates the feeling of guilt and there's nothing women hate more than feeling guilty).
>>
>>46465387
Yes
Because the race with the most appropriate stats and themes for the class I wanted to play are only 10% male. So it makes more sense.
>>
>>46465387
Do you ever play an elf character, op? Just why, you are human guy, it will feel forced and nothing else than a guy faking to be an elf.
Do you ever play a character from a different social class, let alone a different time and space? It would feel forced, you are not from the 12th or 38th century, anon, how do you know how to play that stuff?
Do you ever play anyhing more than your perfect self insert in a game that replicates your exact life? Just why, op, pray tell.
Maybe because it is a game of pretend, and I would rather pretend to be things I am not. And if anyone here is completely clueless about how female behave nowadays, which is totally another thing compared to how they would in say, a fiction with dragons and a completely different history, or in the grim darkness of the far future, just open the door, go out, talk to people who happen to have nothing dangling between their legs, and discover that in the end, human beings tend to be pretty similar to each other. Probably way more than a human and an orc.
>>
File: rich-blacks.jpg (126 KB, 700x680) Image search: [Google]
rich-blacks.jpg
126 KB, 700x680
>>46473908
>for what they could/should be, not for what they are

Hey, that's exactly the same reason I play black characters.
>>
File: nx4cba[1].jpg (18 KB, 510x430) Image search: [Google]
nx4cba[1].jpg
18 KB, 510x430
>>46474051
I'm black and you're right
>>
>>46473921
That accurately describes men and women just in general. The bell curve is usually steeper for women, and shallower for men. The majority of women tend to be closer to the average, while men have a shitload of outliers.

It's why the majority of both fucking retards and absolute geniuses are men.
>>
File: 1399073580374.jpg (103 KB, 422x600) Image search: [Google]
1399073580374.jpg
103 KB, 422x600
>>46474218
And why do you think that is the case? To paraphrase Roy Baumeister (professor of psychology) it would be surprising if the different reproductive strategies of men and women did not lead to personality differences.

Women are so clustered around the average because for the selective gender, who gets laid anyway, the safest option is the best option. Conversely the men who picked the safest option never stood out and by and large were the men who never reproduced. It's the outliers, the geniusses and the thugs, who always got laid and to this very day get laid. The women like the most even today are either those who are swimming in money or those with agressive tendencies and ideally one with both (what is Christian Grey other than a wealthy, intelligent sociopath?).

You're reversing cause and effect: the fact that there are so many male outliers is an evolutionary consequence of the fact that women always had it easier. Women are so average because they don't need to stand out, they just need to exist to be evolutionarily succesful.
>>
>>46474253
I agree with you 100%

I mean, this is just empirical science. I don't know where you got the idea that I was reversing cause and effect. Unless you confused me with another anon.
>>
>>46465387
It allows me to deviate from my normal personality when roleplaying. Playing a reverse trap, super space Nazi was really fun too.
>>

Exactly once

>Why

Because I wanted to play a Sorcerer and my DM had a little roll chart for the type of elements you would be attuned to and I rolled positive energy and when I think of a Light mage/celestial thing I think of a chick I blame league of legends with Kayle/Lux

It was text only anyway
>>
I play female characters more often than not. When creating characters the last thing i usually think about is name, gender and appearance, but tend to go with what fits best or provides an interesting narrative.
I am genderfluid and will happily play either gender.
>>
>>46474456
>I am genderfluid
>>46467594
>>
>>46474461
Actually it would make me gender-dead, as a slight variation in homeostasis often results in death
>>
>>46474456
>I am genderfluid
There is no such fucking thing. You are either delusional, mentally ill, or a tumblr attention whore. And possibly all three.
>>
File: 1457232538753.png (728 KB, 680x1031) Image search: [Google]
1457232538753.png
728 KB, 680x1031
>>46474482
But there IS such a thing as genderfluid. You know it under the name "semen"
>>
>>46474482
wow, you are such an expert on the topic! Thanks for enlightening me friend!
>>
>>46474482
>You are either delusional, mentally ill, or a tumblr attention whore. And possibly all three.
None of that actually disproves the existence of genderfluid
>>
>>46474520
Kek

>>46474527
I studied evolutionary psychology and human biology. I know how humans work. If you "don't conform to the gender binary" you are either lying or mentally ill by definition.
>>
Essentially, if I'm truly honest?

It's some infantile form of playing dress up with a doll.

I don't project onto these avatars, I never make me in a game, I hate myself.

I make female avatars that appeal to me, in the narcissistic sense. I like to make practical, utilitarian women, because in some sense that is a fantasy.

I craft something that appeals to me. In some ways, that might well be worse than just being some gender confused degenerate.
>>
>>46474482
In all seriousness though, i brought it up because it seemed pertinent to the conversation. If you get so upset about what at the end of the day is my opinion that I don't need a dick to feel manly then maybe you are the one who has a mental illness?
>>
>>46474553
They all do. If you're delusional, then it's not real. If you're mentally ill, then you have a disease that is causing you to believe things which are not real. If you're an attention whore, you're lying, and you KNOW it's not real.
>>
>>46474554
Really?! You must be a very smart highschooler!!
>>
>>46474559
I'm not the one defying basic human biology in order to be a special snowflake :^)

>>46474577
2/10 for effort
>>
>>46474575
What are you arguing, that trannies aren't real? Genderfluid is just "I sometimes feel like a tranny, but not all the time."

If it's real to someone subjectively, then it's real.
>>
>>46474589
It's less about defying evolutionary biology and more about being an individual that feels a particular way.
The term genderfluid doesn't refer to biology in any sense, instead it refers to the mindset of an individual who will tend to change between exhibiting typically masculine personality traits to typically femenine ones.
You cannot disprove the occurence of this behavior by calling it a mental illness, as a mental illness must negatively impact the life of the sufferer in some meaningful way.
For somebody so intelligent, you severely lack the interpersonal skills to allow you to comprehend that there is no one true opinion that will always be right.
>>
>>46474647
Fucking this. Subjectivity.
>>
>>46465387
As a forever GM I have played everything. Because I have to.
>>
>>46474589
m8 that's like saying it's defying biology to not like chocolate

when people talk about their LGBTBBQ they're just talking about their own preferences, you can't argue that those aren't real any more than you can argue that it's impossible to like both red and blue at the same time
>>
>>46465599
The recovering/relapsing alchoholic that thinks everyone shares in his struggle.
>>
Yes, also, I'm not a closet-homo and frankly quite secure in my sexuality so I'm not afraid of taking on the role of a female character, since in the end, it's all play-pretend. I never got the big deal about playing a character of the opposite gender.

Then there's one of my male friends who has never played a male character, which has made me attentive, but in the end, I don't really care. Its more of an inside joke at this point.
>>
File: 1458870116448.jpg (341 KB, 1502x810) Image search: [Google]
1458870116448.jpg
341 KB, 1502x810
>>46474647
>If it's real to someone subjectively, then it's real.
That's not how it works you chodelicker
>>
>>46474729
Yes it does. That's exactly how it works. There are no other considerations.
>>
>>46474736
Sorry Jaden, but "how can genderfluids be real if our feelings don't real" is not a convincing argument.

Maybe it worked for you in your women's studies classes, but not here.
>>
File: 1365096208299.jpg (231 KB, 900x1335) Image search: [Google]
1365096208299.jpg
231 KB, 900x1335
>>46474726
Pretty much this. people make a big deal out of it, when it is nothing special. You will never be a 10/10 qt blonde paladin girl, and you will never be a 7'4'' ripped as a Greek god fighter. It is fantasy.

If someone could explain to me why pretending you are the opposite gender in a roleplaying game is a big deal, I would be grateful.
>>
>>46465387
Yes, sometimes.

Because I think that role-playing, placing myself into another person and acting as they would (or as I think that they would) is fun.
>>
>>46474729
I'm sorry to disappoint you, but your sibjective experience of the sky being blue is false, it is in fact purple.
>>
File: qvdeJBD.gif (891 KB, 244x160) Image search: [Google]
qvdeJBD.gif
891 KB, 244x160
Never have, never will.

Had long hair as a kid and a high-pitched voice, so everyone assumed I was a chick. Since then it kinda bothers me.

I don't even play games where the protag is female, only some non-RPG exceptions (Mirror's Edge etc where the protag basically doesn't matter)
>>
>>46474729
Well look here, we've got a wiseguy. I bet you think laws aren't real because you've decided they don't apply to you. Y'know, an awful lot isn't real. Popularity's not some sort of good you can buy and sell. It's practical to accept the constructs of others because it explains behaviour. So yeah, it's only sort of real, but it's as real as the concept of cats, which is something we created to describe certain furry puddles. Priiiiiiiiiiick.
>>
>>46474756
>no it's not ;_;
>it's impossible for your favorite color to change over time ;_;

Yeah, nah. I think you're just confused over what people mean when they use the word. Are you assuming they think they're IRL shapeshifters or something? Because in that case I can see how you'd get the impression that it's delusion and mental illness.

At any rate you're down ad hominem and ignoring 90% of the posts directed at you so I'll just call you a troll and be done with it.
>>
>>46474678
>The term genderfluid doesn't refer to biology in any sense, instead it refers to the mindset of an individual who will tend to change between exhibiting typically masculine personality traits to typically femenine ones.
Do you know what masculine means? Pertaining to the male sex. Do you know what the male sex is? Biology.
Personally, I find it laughable that the tumblrtrans movement has any steam since it so directly opposes the gender-equality movement.
>tumblrtrans: there are definitely genders which have traits, and you can define yourself as a gender based on the traits you associate with.
>gender-equality: the genders should not be treated differently in any non-empirical way. Physical differences should not mean anything unless the situation directly involves them.

I have never once had anyone who /feels/ like a different gender than they are be able to define to me what the fuck that means, only that it's "subjective" and "muh feelings." If it's literally impossible to define then how can you prove you aren't full of shit, and furthermore, why would you bother? The pronouns refer to a quantifiable fact, which is what's in your pants, and should have no more effect on your identity than the color of your hair.

AND TO KEEP THIS SHIT RELATED: I've never played a women because my game groups have always been fairly well mixed and playing a different gender would make me feel weird since it would feel like a tacked-on detail. It wouldn't change how I play the character enough to justify the constant immersion breaks I'd be forcing on my group.
>>
>>46474765
My gander is that it's back to the old roots of "you want to be a girl?", which clearly is the most sinful of thoughts in the fundamentalist society that is The Americas.

Thank god I live in a more liberal country that doesn't penalize me for not being subconciously religious.
>>
>>46474793
PhD at defeating your own point
>>
>>46474797
>Do you know what the male sex is? Biology.
Wow, you sure disproved that sexfluid doesn't exist. Good work.
>>
>>46474797
>I have never once had anyone who /feels/ like a different gender than they are be able to define to me what the fuck that means, only that it's "subjective" and "muh feelings." If it's literally impossible to define then how can you prove you aren't full of shit, and furthermore, why would you bother? The pronouns refer to a quantifiable fact, which is what's in your pants, and should have no more effect on your identity than the color of your hair.
Because this isn't about quantifiable facts? Have you ever met someone who can give you an objective answer on why a color is their favorite beyond "subjective and "muh feelings"?

No, you fucking haven't.
>>
File: 1434052136447.jpg (40 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1434052136447.jpg
40 KB, 625x626
>>46474806
I alllmost bit. friendly reminder that all this discussion of gender and shit can and will get you a ban.

To the people saying they hate it when people play a different gender and don't account for how that gender is treated in the game world, do your DMs actually make that a thing? Most of mine have just hand-waved practical gender equality into place and ignored the specifics.
>>
File: 1458511891242.jpg (335 KB, 707x1000) Image search: [Google]
1458511891242.jpg
335 KB, 707x1000
>>46474801
The assumption of people who ask this type of questions is that the character you elect to play will be an idealized version of who you wish to be. If it was not, people would not instantly connect your character with what you "want to be".

They discard the idea that you wish to portray an interesting character and explore the adventures of a person with this set of traits and this particular worldview throughout the world created by the DM.

I have noticed that how open people are to you playing a character of different sex/gender/sexuality than your own greatly depends on the system you use. More narrative-focused systems usually lead to players coming up with characters with all sorts of quirky appearances and personalities, whole combat-focused systems, such as DnD, lead to people expecting you to create your personal power fantasy.
>>
>>46474844
>being on-topic can get you a ban
Nah, they'd just delete the thread if they don't like it.
>>
>instead it refers to the mindset of an individual who will tend to change between exhibiting typically masculine personality traits to typically femenine ones

That probably describes me. From time to time I just feel like dressing up as a shy reserved maid around the house complete with headband and apron and stocking. When I get in that mood my wife inevitability puts on her best business women outfit, pushes me on the bed and rides me relentlessly. Rest of the time I pass for perfectly normal guy.

I still wouldn't describe myself as genderfluid because that's such a retarded term.
>>
>>46474861
Yea, I can get behind this reasoning. I have never had to experience as my group has always been mature on this subject. We have both male and female in the group, and it has never been an issue when one has wanted to play a character of the opposite sex.

Personally, I select gender of character based on the character itself, and whether it would be more interesting as a man or a woman.My last opposite-gender-character was a mother, even, and playing that was a blast.
>>
File: mr rogers steak.jpg (116 KB, 1052x451) Image search: [Google]
mr rogers steak.jpg
116 KB, 1052x451
>>46474589
>I'm not the one defying basic human biology in order to be a special snowflake
No, but you are going out of your way to challenge/belittle somebody who feels differently than you do. I don't know shit about gender fluidity. I don't know anybody who is gender fluid. Maybe it is bullshit. I really can't say. But I don't consider it my business to tell other people their feelings are wrong. I'm not conceited enough to think I have all the answers, and somebody's sexuality is firmly within the arena of being their fucking business and not mine. Listen to Mr. Rogers and grow the fuck up.
>>
>>46474864
Agreed completely. It's like a retard stamp.
>>
>>46465387
only in video games because visual tits and ass. I enjoy customizing male and female character clothing equally, but mods allow for sexy female lingerie so there's that too.

RPing would be kinda gay though. plus my voice isn't high pitched.
>>
>>46474826
In the case of the genders you have people trying to force other people to use the "correct pronouns" for them, and a lot of the time these are weird pronouns that have never been seen by the target before and are impossible to figure out how to say if you were to read them.
In the case of the colors it's a personal preference that doesn't impact anyone else in anyway.

>>46474862
Topic was have you played a female character, why or why not, not gender sciences.

>>46474864
This is a great example.
>tumblrtrans: you're gender-fluid! these are the pronouns you should use, and others should use for you. It's ok to accept what you are, but if you don't that's just society's brainwashing in effect. You need to fight that off and live without shame! Declare yourself proudly for who you are! If you don't we'll shitlist you forever, traitorous scum.
>Gender-equality: Ok. Nothing wrong with a man doing any of that, glad your partner's in on it. Have a happy life.
(Personally, I love that your wife is not only ok with this, but participates. Sweet as fuck.)

>>46474861
>whole combat-focused systems, such as DnD, lead to people expecting you to create your personal power fantasy
Pretty much the main problem I have with DnD. If I want to play a cool concept chances are it's going to be such a clusterfuck to make or keep straight it won't be worth the hassle, or I'll just be completely useless.
>>
>>46465387
Yes.

Because I like creating a variety of characters. I also play male characters, reptilian characters, alien characters, old characters, young characters, martials, casters, rogues (I really suck at priest though), asexual, bisexual, hetero and homosexual characters, masochist, sadists, crazy, sane, modern, fantasy, science fiction, modern fantasy, gothic horror, etc. etc.

I create characters I enjoy playing. It just so happens that some are female. If you can't cope with this, get the fuck out.
>>
File: 1456879338964.png (259 KB, 1198x1200) Image search: [Google]
1456879338964.png
259 KB, 1198x1200
>>46474864
>sometimes I'm too lazy to be on top
>BETTER ROMANTICIZE IT INTO SOME NOBLE PROGRESSIVE GESTURE
Epic blog famalam.
>>
>>46474780
>the sky being blue
>subjective
>>
>>46474907
>the Mr. Rogers argument
I can get on board with this. The phrase "you're not being the person Mr Rogers knew you could be" has actually ended arguments.
>>
>>46474944
>Pretty much the main problem I have with DnD. If I want to play a cool concept chances are it's going to be such a clusterfuck to make or keep straight it won't be worth the hassle, or I'll just be completely useless.

The problem with focusing on "roleplaying" a character in DnD is that the system itself does so little to mechanically support you. Social interactions are a binary success/fail based on stats, the encouragement to roleplay (in 5e - inspiration) is clunky and hard to keep track of, and the alignment system is just slapped on for good measure. Sure, a good GM will create a compelling narrative with characters and intrigue you would look forward to getting involved in, but the system itself does him no favours.It encourages the players to be hostile, to murder and to steal. This is how they get exp and loot. Because of this, the range of characters you can play is fairly limited.
>>
>>46475032
>Social interactions are a binary success/fail based on stats
Personally I like thinking of them as attitude adjusters. A bluff check tells how convincing you were, sure, but even a bad roll can still be a pass if you roleplay the lie well enough. That's my PERSONAL preference though. Other people prefer that charisma checks be mind controlling checks.
>>
>>46475032
>the encouragement to roleplay (in 5e - inspiration) is clunky and hard to keep track of
>hard to keep track of

lolwut

There's literally a checkbox on your character sheet. When you gain inspiration, check the box. When you use it, erase the check. That's it, that's how you keep track of inspiration.

Also, I wouldn't call "You get inspiration when your DM or another Player who has inspiration feels like you deserve it, spend it to gain advantage on a roll or give it to someone you think deserves it" clunky, since clunky would imply that it's difficult to use somehow, and inspiration is dead fucking simple to use.
>>
>>46475134
It is hard for the GM to keep track of how well everyone RPs and if they accurately follow their ideal/bond/flaw throughout the game. You have a lot on your hands so looking out for these traits on ~4-5 people at all times is tiresome.

>>46475133
Exactly. It leaves it to the DM to work the situation out, while the system mainly focuses on the combat aspects of the game. 5e even more so with the removal of a lot of the spells/abilities that had interesting effects that were not combat related.
>>
>>46474966
I don't know about you, but I never intended to make society commentary with my dick.

I figure it's just a weird fetish.
>>
>>46465387
>play a dozen male characters
>get bored and finally make one female

Thats why
>>
>>46475186
>It is hard for the GM to keep track of how well everyone RPs and if they accurately follow their ideal/bond/flaw throughout the game. You have a lot on your hands so looking out for these traits on ~4-5 people at all times is tiresome

It's not like the DM has some kind of meter that needs to fill up before he can give a character inspiration, if what someone just did was good roleplaying, you can give them inspiration. You don't even need to use the ideal/bond/flaw recommendations, and that is all they are, it's not even a system, if you don't want to, let alone the DM needing to memorize them.
>>
>>46474944
>In the case of the genders you have people trying to force other people to use the "correct pronouns" for them
That's true, and it's annoying, but it's also not that relevant here beyond what a regular tranny would do.

Why is it not relevant you ask? Because someone annoying you with bullshit doesn't mean that bullshit doesn't exist.

You were saying what amounts to "a person having a fluid gender identity isn't possible". That's bullshit and you know it. Their identity is up to them. What's up to you is whether you give a fuck about their espoused identity and/or if you'll stop interacting with them after that.

>Topic was have you played a female character, why or why not, not gender sciences.
>Topic was have you played a female character, why or why not, so it's mired right in the middle of gender "sciences".
Fixed that for you.
>>
>>46465387

No. For the past ten years, I have played solely as male humans.

There was one guy who played an animu waifu, but we mocked him until he stopped.
>>
>>46475746
As much as i despise people trying to animu things that are not animu, that was just being a that guy
>>
>>46475766

He was being creepy about it, and that is not allowed. Them's the rules.

You wear a KKK hood and walk through Detriot, that's suicide, not murder. You play a kawaii uguu animu girl when the game is five neckbears, you're going to get mocked to death.
>>
>>46475281
>You were saying what amounts to "a person having a fluid gender identity isn't possible".
It's not bullshit because gender identity itself is bullshit. Your gender should not be a huge part of your identity. As I said earlier:
>gender-equality: the genders should not be treated differently in any non-empirical way. Physical differences should not mean anything unless the situation directly involves them.

>Fixed that for you.
Broke it, you mean. Quit trying to make everything about your fake revolution.

>>46474862
This one actually stuck in my thoughts later on and god damn is that a self-centered way of looking at shit.
>If the mods don't like us getting off-topic they'll just delete the whole thread.
Just wow.

Now can we please get off this subject? In case you forgot what the thread's topic is, here's the >>46465387
Now that I'm looking at the OP after this fiasco of a thread, I find it interesting the question was "Do you ever play female characters?" and not "Do you ever play characters of the opposite sex?"
>>
>>46475845
Then tell him to stop being creepy or kick him, mocking him out or otherwise strongarming the habit out of him should be the very last resort and even then it's just a necessary evil, but still evil (read: being that guy). If it's the latter then i can understand it.
>>
>>46475888
>It's not bullshit because gender identity itself is bullshit. Your gender should not be a huge part of your identity. As I said earlier:
>>gender-equality: the genders should not be treated differently in any non-empirical way. Physical differences should not mean anything unless the situation directly involves them.

>should should should

Yeah, that's nice, but it's not the way the world works. To some people it's very important, and someone else's opinion isn't going to change that.

>>If the mods don't like us getting off-topic they'll just delete the whole thread.
>Just wow.
No, if the mods don't like us being on-topic they should delete the thread. See the difference?
>>
>>46465387
Yeah
Battle priestess
>>
>>46465387
Yes. I play to try and understand how women think. Still don't get it.
>>
>>46465387
Easy.

Because I rolled so.
>>
>>46475010
Let's pretend for a moment that we had concrete evidence that Mr. Rogers was, beyond a shadow of a doubt, gayer than a cardinal in a locker room full of Greek school boys.

Is there a problem with that?
>>
>>46475947
>Yeah, that's nice, but it's not the way the world works. To some people it's very important, and someone else's opinion isn't going to change that.
... Which would be the point of having a movement. A century ago women looked around and said "We should be able to vote." Lo and behold...
I find it weird you're taking a "This is the way the real world works" stance when just a post or two ago you were defending tumblrized genders. News Flash- This Just In: Real world acknowledges two genders, finds existence of others at best superfluous, at worst retarded.

>No, if the mods don't like us being on-topic they should delete the thread. See the difference?
Are you new? They literally just last night scorched earthed a thread of all the off-topic posts. Literally a hundred posts in a thread were deleted because they weren't on topic. It went from over 200 posts to less than 100. You could argue the thread's focus had shifted to the tangent more than the original post, but the tangent was eradicated anyway. You know what the tangent was? They were discussing a tumblr that talked about the horrors of white male supremacy in traditional gaming in a "What bugs you most?" thread. It was Glorious.

>>46475954
>Battle priestess
Wouldn't that just be a cleric?
>>
File: Rolling-Dice.jpg (47 KB, 772x603) Image search: [Google]
Rolling-Dice.jpg
47 KB, 772x603
Diceroll.

You don't roll for everything, weaklings?
>>
>>46476133
The reality thing was a response to all of your naive shoulds. Your gender should not be a huge part of your identity? Well it is for a lot of people. The genders should not be treated differently? Well they are. Physical differences should not mean anything? Well they do.

Also, I'm not defending the tumblr gender stuff, I'm just trying to get it through your skull that when someone says they're genderfluid they're just telling people about themselves. It's like saying you like action movies. A personal, subjective thing that never touched on the biology of sex.

Because there's a bunch of people who like certain words like that, they use those words. Saying that they don't exist makes no sense because people actually use them for their intended purpose successfully.

Just think of it like this. It gives you a reason to think someone's an idiot, despite that not being what they were trying to communicate.

>They literally just last night scorched earthed a thread of all the off-topic posts.
That's fucking fine. If a janitor thinks this is off-topic, more power to him. I don't think it's off-topic, I think it's directly related to why people play as a specific gender. Even if this thread's OP was just "do you play as a girl anon? :^)" it would already be related. But look at the second line in the OP. It was actually (supposedly?) trying to provoke long and hard thought about the topic. Which is basically what we were doing while still discussing what the fuck genderfluid is.

So basically, is this discussion on-topic? Yes, definitely. Is this thread on-topic for /tg/? Arguably. If a mod argues no, he should delete it.
>>
>>46476160
No. I rolled a die on whether I should roll for everything, and the roll came up negative.
>>
>>46465387
no

but if I did it would be because I have some plan to fuck with my GM or table nemesis
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.