[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any systems out there that make movement an important
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4
File: 1354242526157.jpg (346 KB, 1600x1131) Image search: [Google]
1354242526157.jpg
346 KB, 1600x1131
Are there any systems out there that make movement an important part of melee combat? Backing away, flanking and strafing, lunging in, that sort of thing. A lot of the time it seems to only be good for closing in on the guy you want to slug it out with for a couple a turns.
>>
D&D 4e
>>
>>46462690
Riddle of Steel and its knockoffs/successors.
>>
>>46462690
I'm not meming, try GURPS, use all optionals combat rules.
>>
>>46462978
>>46462905
I'll give these a look. How crunchy are they? I'm looking for something that's relativity intuitive and easy to rule on the fly. I'v heard both these systems are fairly heavy but I'll check them out for myself.
>>46462846
Rode that train for a couple years. Not a bad system but really not what I'm looking for what with the d20 mechanics and the power systems.
>>
>>46463329
Strike! combat is distilled 4e. d6 based instead of d20, removed a lot of fiddly modifiers to rolls (there's like one instance of a +1, and it's a passive not a buff) and replaced them with an advantage/disadvantage system, but it still got powers so YMMV.
>>
File: Japan never disappoints.png (113 KB, 271x198) Image search: [Google]
Japan never disappoints.png
113 KB, 271x198
>>46462690
>>
>>46463545
>attention to details
>>
>>46463329
There is always a Song of Swords general running on /tg/, check it out.
They're all super simulationist systems though.
>>
>>46463329
They are not heavy but you will learn some things from scratch
>>
>>46462905
What's this like? I keep hearing the name, and I'm a little interested.
>>
>>46463329
RoS and SoS are extremely un-intuitive at first but after a few combats and hours of referencing the books it gets quicker. My biggest problem with Song of Swords is that it emphasizes weapon breaks and dickstabs over everything else, to the point where'd not going into a fight with a bulletproof codpiece is suicide.
>>
File: 1352291965475.jpg (64 KB, 800x508) Image search: [Google]
1352291965475.jpg
64 KB, 800x508
>>46463705
Checking it out now, thanks. Interesting but not really what I'm looking for.
>>46463458
Never even heard about that, might hang onto it for a rainy day.

I'd really like something with a little of a Souls style. So lots of moving around, rolling away, trying to get in just the right position to attack or defend.

Alternatively something for high-flying swashbuckling would be cool. Something where a duel can lead from room to room, up stairs, over tables and chairs and chandeliers, all the way to precarious precipices. I'm pretty sure there are games like this out there but I'm not sure where.

In both cases because of the extra moving element I'd hope for the system as a whole to be lighter than usual. Even without tactical movement combat can drag on in a lot of games and kill the momentum. To the best of my ability I'd like to keep turns short, rule references sparse and number crunching to a minimum as to keep the focus on making and executing the choices themselves.
>>
>>46463860
It's an RPG mainly recognized for great interactive combat system based on resource management and lack of hit points. Opponents perform maneuvers by spending dice from limited dice pool and said maneuvers interact with each other. Say, performing successful Parry maneuver against Attack will save your precious body from injury and create an opening for your following attack. The more dice you spend, the stronger maneuvers you perform. At the same time if you spent too much of dice pool, you would be very vulnerable on the following turn and unable to respond to opponent's action.
>>
File: Souls and swords test.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Souls and swords test.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46464118
>I'd really like something with a little of a Souls style. So lots of moving around, rolling away, trying to get in just the right position to attack or defend.

I actually started brewing something like that like a year or so ago.

I'll attach the PDF.

SoS/RoS have been mentioned previously, and to my understanding also have similar themes.
>>
>>46464241
Looks good
>>
>>46462690
No. That would be a good system.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.