[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44
File: Image (2).jpg (32 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image (2).jpg
32 KB, 223x310
Fuck da secondary market yo, I wuz jus tryna make a deck and shiet.
But for real though I'm very interested in seeing what becomes of new modern, if anything.
>>
First for Thoptersword combo is a meme deck that can't put up good results
>>
>>46459378
Ancestral Vision is shit.
Suspend 4 is way too much.
>>
To the guy who posted his EldraziTron list in the last thread, can you post a link to the mtgsalvation thread?
>>
>>46459431
It hasn't had a chance in modern yet, give it time.
>>
>just got the Jace and AV out of the duel deck including like 50 other rares and an Elsoeth for $15
Get fucked nerds
>>
>>46459442
This all the fucking way. With no strong cascade deck and no FoW to pitch it to it's the worst fucking topdeck.
>>
File: 1457814770953.jpg (158 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1457814770953.jpg
158 KB, 720x480
>>46459378
All that'll happen is Eldrazi decks have to rebuild themselves to not be braindead rush decks and Tron will most likely have to cut some fat down with Eye no longer being a part of the arsenal.
>>
>>46459431

T-that's what you think, baka! Just wait for my waifu Stoneforge Mystic to get unbanned then we'll talk again.
>>
>>46459483
dont forget theres also a bunch of eldrazi processors now
>>
>>46459512
Which I doubt will become important because the card's not good enough to see play, but yes. That interaction would be relevant if it ever did.
>>
Land (23)
2x Academy Ruins
3x Darkslick Shores
2x Darksteel Citadel
1x Flooded Strand
2x Island
4x Polluted Delta
2x Sunken Ruins
1x Swamp
2x Verdant Catacombs
4x Watery Grave
Instant (14)
3x Cryptic Command
3x Dismember
3x Mana Leak
1x Murderous Cut
4x Thirst for Knowledge
Planeswalker (3)
3x Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
Artifact (16)
4x Chalice of the Void
4x Ensnaring Bridge
4x Sword of the Meek
4x Thopter Foundry
Sorcery (4)
3x Damnation
1x Shape Anew
So here's my list. I can go over the card options if you guys want. My question is should I run 4 Spellskite or 4 bridges? Bridge isn't good with Thirst, and I feel like maybe I can already stall out with this deck well enough not to need to play it. Also Spellskite is fucking sweet.
>>
what to cut for insolent neonates?
2x Tormenting voice and what else?
>>
What will this do for infect? What cards will be needed for sideboard?
>>
So, does this mean Preordain is more broken than Ancestral Vision?
>>
>>46459555

Is insolent neonate better than tormenting voice?
>>
>>46459548
>4x Sword of the Meek
>4x Thopter Foundry

I doubt you need that many. Just use the other Tezzeret instead.
>>
>>46459574
Like infect gives a flying fuck about the unbans. They already have the tools to power through them.
>>
>>46459607

I guess with your vengevines having creature spells to cast is cool
>>
>>46459548
>3x Damnation

So you're going to force yourself to cast Damnation every time you draw it with ensnaring bridge up and kill all your thopters?
>>
>>46459607
it enables t1 neonate, sac, dredge so while not "better", it makes the deck much more explosive
>>
4 Delver
4 Snaps
4 Stormchaser Mage

3 Electrolyze
4 Bolt
4 Helix
4 Path
3 Remand
2 Spellsnare
4 Serum Visions
4 Probe

1 Arid Mesa
2 Celestial Colonnade
4 Flooded Strand
1 Hallowed Fountain
2 Island
1 Mountain
1 Plains
1 Sacred Foundry
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Steam Vents
1 Sulfur Falls

Any improvements here?
>>
>>46459633

Gotcha
>>
>>46459574
More Slip Through Space in main perhaps, since you're not getting through with anything but Agent ever vs Roflthopters.
>>
>>46459622
but this can lead to a lot of control decks which is infects main problem.
>>
>>46459555
2x Satyr to be honest
>>
>>46459548
I would drop the damnations or put them in sideboard and add blue tezzeret to help get the thropter factory online sooner.
>>
>>46459664
You have apostle's blessing, and trample effects, and the sotm+thopter combo being slow to get going.
>>
>>46459609
Other Tezzeret is too slow. I want to combo off very quick against burn and affinity
>>
>>46459684
No pump spells that's actually played gives trample? Using Apostle to get through instead of protection is just asking for a Path/Bolt/Dismember.
>>
>>46459630
Well for 1, I'm not entirely sure I want to run bridge. And for 2, I don't really care about my tokens, if I have enough tokens where I would rather not damnation, then my board state is probably good enough to the point where I've already won. Also I think I might really like skite over brodge, cause it saves my combo
>>
>>46459672
the problem is that satyr is one of the only ways to get lands into hand past t1/t2, and the deck really needs to get to 4 lands to cast unburial rites. satyr is basically a better golgari thug. i'm leaning towards at least one angler. or just one angler and running 3 neonates
>>
>>46459378
I'm being told by friends that this card would be good in a UR or Jeskai tempo deck, but I just can't see it.

Its 4 fucking turns and unless you plan to cascade into it I can't see it being all that great.

Maybe good in a control deck that has the time, but not tempo.
>>
>>46459675
But blue tezzeret doesn't come out until turn 5, and I don't want to run a 5 tutor mana who dies to bolt next turn. Also I don't mean to have shape anew, I meant that to be fabricate, which gives me all my artifacts x5 in the deck, don't know why it's shape anew
>>
Is Sultai gonna be a viable BGx variant now?
>>
>>46459738
I think the reanimator package is gonna be the weak link going forward
Prized Amalgam is an honestly good card which all Dredgevine lists should run
>>
>>46459723
Slip and blessing is hardly any different than double blessing though.
>>
File: FztglIb.jpg (209 KB, 1024x1365) Image search: [Google]
FztglIb.jpg
209 KB, 1024x1365
>>46459555
I personally wouldn't bother with the Unburial Rites and it's package, so there's your free slots. By the way, pic related. Don't leave home without it.
>>
>>46459803
But with the current lists (2-4 Blessings, no or 1 Slip), it's extremely unlikely to have 2 + pump for 10 in hand, Vines of Vastwood doesn't get through blockers.
>>
>>46459858
I actually run 1 blessing, two slips and three serum visions.
>>
>>46459590
>immediately gets you the effect for U
>gets you a more powerful effect for U... eventually
I think that's what Wizards is trying to tell us, yes. We can't have a good card but here, have one that's too slow to be playable. That's almost the same thing.
>>
>>46459778
Have you considered artifact ramp or more card draw then? Dimir signet and sphere of the suns are both 2 mana and can be turned into 5/5s with U/B tez and give you more mana to activate the factory. Your could also use more draw to simply get to your combo pieces consistently and quickly.
>>
>>46459723
Rancor
>>
>>46459883
>drawing 3 cards for 1 mana is bad
>>
File: 1320818390562.jpg (38 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1320818390562.jpg
38 KB, 500x500
>there are people in this thread RIGHT NOW who bought sets of Eye for almost $50 apiece
>>
>>46459378
Sword of the Meek may have some interaction with Pia and Kiran Nalaar for some affinity meme deck, but I doubt it. Aside from that, Eldrazi will still be T1 because it can produce 2/1s on t1 that can temporarily transform into more powerful creatures and generate 2 mana per turn, but it's not going to be the same level of broken that it was. Still should invest in some Ensnaring Bridges.
>>
>>46459858
I dropped the mutagenics completely in favor of more blessing. If every other pump is around 4 power, you still need an extra card to speed up the kill.
>>
>>46459840
The only Mythic that upset me more in this set was Goldnight Castigator, and Behold the Beyond, and also Geralf's Masterpiece.

There were some pretty shit mythics in SOI.
>>
>>46459906
True, isn't played in every list and more than 2 of though in the ones that run it.
>>
>>46459913
>ignoring the rest of the argument and just trying to be sassy
>>
>>46459894
Well, chalice for 1 is just outstanding and fucks a lot of decks. What would you run for draw when you want to be chalice for 1? Also I think artifact ramp is meh in this deck. I can't think of any card I'd want to cut for it, and if I do run Spellskite over bridge then my 2 drop slot is already chock full.
>>
File: yoom tah.jpg (4 KB, 108x125) Image search: [Google]
yoom tah.jpg
4 KB, 108x125
>>46459913
>drawing 3 cards for 0 mana, but only t4 and you can't play anything t1 is good
Okay friendo
>>
>>46459928
>Eldrazi will still be T1 because it can produce 2/1s on t1
With Temple, sure, but Eye allowed the deck to shit mimics
>>
>>46459953
It is good when you need it but worst than just being another pump but if we are going to need to get through creatures it can do the ob very well.
>>
>>46459918
I bought mine when they were 16 euros each and I don't plan on selling it.
I'm sure it'll come in handy in the future
>>
>>46459945

All the mythics except for spoopy zombie there and the planeswalkers were fodder.
>>
>>46459548
>Academy Ruins
Even in Legacy, a Wasteland format, you only want to run 1. It is no engine for midgame but more of an inevitability thing for later in the game.

>Darksteel
1 is enough, you will find it much quicker than you think. Tezz +1 goes trough your deck like it's made of butter

>Cryptic
No, UUU does not work with Tezz. Even less without Seat of the Synod.

>Mana Leak
In Tezz, Negate is better. You rarely care for creatures with Thopters/Tezz-2/Bridge
All you care for is Enchantments/Artifacts because you can not interact with them. Since Chalice for 1 is less of a route in Modern I would suggest Annul as a sideboard card against Stony and Needles

>Tezzeret
4of

>Sword
you can cut on these, they can be discarded and you only need one - they are immune to destroy-removal so you don't need redundancy

>Shape Anew
no

>no GY hate
Nihil Spellbomb please. Or at least a Relic.

>Murderous Cut
Too slow and narrow. I was running one copy for some time but it just sucked. Far//Away is a house though and strong enough to have a place maindeck. Also it running maindeck answers to Bogles is just sweet.
Alternatively Stick with Dismember.

>Damnation
Never more than 2. Trust me. BB will fuck you over so many times.
Also, Damnation in the sideboard worked much better for me. Too many games where it was a dead card in hand.
Tezzeret is a U/B deck and can be played as either midrange or control. But, when it plays control, it does not play Draw-Go. Tezz is proactive and plays lockpieces and wincons that are hard to interact with. You can run some Counterspells and you are adviced to run at least one boardwipe. But in general, you don't want to keep mana open. Your stuff works best when it's on the board, not in your hand. I am running 2 Negate or 2 Echoing Truth as finishers most of the time.

Cards to consider that solve problems or enable some really broken plays:

>Phyrexian Metamorph
>Vault Skirge
>Ensoul Artifact
>Spellskite
>Master of Etherium
>>
>>46459378
I don't think AV belongs in Esper Control, but Thopter Sword seems like it could give the deck a real nice boost. What do other anons think?
>>
CREATURES
AND
REMOVAL
SPELLS
NWO
>>
>>46459970
Agreed, but still, a 2/1 t1 that becomes a 3/4 t2 is nothing to sneeze at. It's not the obscene amounts of damage it could produce before, but it's still well enough to push it into t1, simply because Wizards refuses to print efficient LD beyond Blood Moon.
>>
>>46459378
Why do people play this busted shit format?

Too stoopid and/or poor to play a proper format?
>>
>>46459945
I'm glad the mythics are shit. Mythics should be casual timmy bait. Mythics that are good in competitive play just end up retarded expensive. All of the chase cards should be rare at most
>>
>>46460012
I didn't mean shape anew, I meant fabricate.
>>
>>46460059
It's the "standards greatest hits" format.

Of course it's shit. 2015 had me fooled that modern wasn't shit, but 2016 is where wizards reveals their true colors. It's shit.
>>
>>46460012
To dip a bit deeper into the counter thing:

Traditionally Tezzeret uses discard and if you have the Budget LotV.

LotV is quite obviously the Bridge enabler.
Discard however is just a nod to the general nature of Tezzeret decks not wanting to keep mana open for counterspells.

Tezz wants to get stuff on the board. Keep 2 mana open for counters is less reliable here than paying B for an Inquisition.

U/B Tezz is a blast to play because there are barely any blue decks playing this "fair" and ending up with some really broken lines of play. Also, the amount of interaction Tezz, Foundry, Sword, Thirst etc. bring to the table is pretty unique - even moresoe for a now modern deck.
>>
>>46460059
Let me guess, you play Pauper and are here to lord your superiority over us because you play "Gush: the Format"
>>
>>46459963
You draw the 3 cards turn 5... This is terrible.
>>
>>46460059
Because watch has been on a campaign to water down standard to retard levels for years and I'm not gullible enough to pay $1000 for a play set of underground sea you fucking cuck.
>>
File: image.jpg (150 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
150 KB, 1280x960
Is it possible to play lantern without mox, glimmervoids and ensnaring bridge?
>>
>>46460139
How fucking poor are you
>>
>>46460139
no
>>
>>46460083
I am too much of a kike to pay for Transmute Artifact and therefore I also tried Fabricate.

It is sadly just too slow.

If you want to play this kind of effect in modern you have to resort to Reshape sadly. The interaction with SotM is there.

I would advice against big Tezz in modern. In Legacy he is only used with Helmline Combo.
He is a Tinker on a stick and a pretty busted card. But in modern without sol lands and no game ending combo he is just too slow.
>>
>>46460151
He can't afford mox, glimmervoids, and ensnaring bridge

like damn nigga can you read
>>
>>46460151
favela
>>
>>46460151
those cards are fucking expensive
>>
File: sadkarn.png (717 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
sadkarn.png
717 KB, 600x500
rip in pasta, sweet prince
>>
>>46460139
>is it possible to play (deck that absolutely requires cards A, B and C) without cards A, B and C?
How about no. Glimmervoid is essential in fixing your mana to IoK/Stirrings/Pyroclasm/Spellbomb accordingly, Ensnaring Bridge is your only true answer to creatures and without Mox Opal you're forced to play 20ish lands and never dump hand fast enough vs aggro.
>>
File: 1447171539021.gif (4 MB, 360x197) Image search: [Google]
1447171539021.gif
4 MB, 360x197
>>46459918
>he didn't buy Eye of Ugins at $5 in November, sell them for $50 after the Pro-Tour, and then buy them back at $5 mid-April
>>
>>46460012
What are your thoughts on mana artifacts in Tezz?

Dimir Signet
Talisman of Dominance
etc
>>
>>46460051
>Savannah lion is broken
If you can't deal with a Savannah lion on T2 maybe you should look and rebuild your deck.
>>
File: Bueno.jpg (50 KB, 546x366) Image search: [Google]
Bueno.jpg
50 KB, 546x366
>>46459918
traded for mine at $4 value, then traded the normal one and a flip nissa (which i got from some kid for 4 desolation twins) for a foil one.
who's laughing now?
>>
>>46460012
Yes I could see cutting 1 each of the colorless lands

Cryptic doesn't seem too outrageous to cast, why are you so against it? Especially if I'm cutting 2 colorless lands, literally every other land besides basic swamp gives me blue. I don't think it's too much to ask woth tezz.

I can see Negate being good, but what do I do about creatures? Do you think I run enough removal here along with the combo to beat creature strategies?

Ehh Tezz as a 4 of seems playable I guess, I'm gonna have to try it out. That's probably right though.

Maybe I can cut 1 sword, but I probably don't want to be saccing my other artifacts with it idk, this seems right though.

Didn't mean shape anew, meant fabricate there, why do you think about that one?

I could see gy hate being usedul, probably overlooked it. Probably a 2 of relic, good call.

Yeah cut is pretty slow, far// Away seems kind of slow too though, and I play no bogles so I'm not sure. UB removal is kind of tight as far as catch alls. I'll rest Far//Away though

Yeah I guess I can cut a damnation, seems reasonable enough. Maybe put 1 in the side.
>>
>>46459918
Bought into the processor list in december for cheap bucks, sold everything after the pro tour for maximum shekels.
Feels good
>>
>>46460139
dude, ensnaring bridge is a fundamental piece of your win condition.
>>
>>46460097
People like you need to fuck off. You come play modern and say it's shit because it isn't tailored to how you want to play. Go play a different format

Do you play edh too and endlessly bitch that commanders should be removed or you should be able to play whatever color you want?
>>
>>46460205
A must have. The Legacy version pretty much builds on the idea of SolLand->Rock->T2 Walker.

But apart from that rocks are just, well, rock solid in the Tezz shell.
>Thirst-> discard useless rocks
>Reshape(in Legacy TArtifact)->make usefull stuff out of rocks
>Tezz-2 -> a 5/5 most decks have trouble removing bevore the ability resolves
and in fringe cases they are at least Foundry fodder

while the original builds started with 4 Signet 2 Talisman most people have swapped this and are now building on 4 Talisman and 1-2 Signets

Signet is awesome but has that awkward "can't directly gain 1 mana if played off of 2 mana" thing going
>>
>sac Sword to Foundry, generate Thopter, gain 1 life
>attach Sword to Thopter
>sac Thopter to Krark-Clan Ironworks, generate 2 mana
>use 1 mana to sac Sword to Foundry, generate Thopter, gain 1 life
We infinite combo boys now
>>
File: giphy.gif (2 MB, 250x197) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
2 MB, 250x197
>bought a set of SotM a while ago for a goofy token deck
>fucker hits escape velocity on price hike
>sort of want to sell for profit but also want to turn token deck into something more serious
>>
>>46460310
Sideboard options?

This will definitely be different than legacy haha
>>
>>46460110
>Calls you guys stupid and poor for playing Modern
>That must mean he plays a cheaper less popular format!

He was talking about god tier vintage or semi god legacy
>>
>>46460167
Well, fabricate comes out turn 3, while reshape only comes out turn 4, I don't see it being too slow compared to reshape. The fact it goes out a turn earlier for essentially 1 more mana seems worth it to me.
>>
File: b.jpg (349 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
b.jpg
349 KB, 800x1200
>mfw I've bought a playset of Thopters Foundries, a playset of Swords of the Meek and one Ancestral Vision from a vendor that wasn't paying attention to the price spike for $17ish bucks.

I'm curious to see if he will honor the deal.
>>
>>46460262
>Cryptic
As I wrote (scattered across some posts) Tezz does not like to play draw go. You want to control via the board. The answers to Tezz, 5/5s and lock pieces are already so narrow you can just skip the counterspell approach and just rip those narrow answers from your opponents hands with discard.
Long story short: Cryptic is a good card, no one is debating this. You just don't need that much versatility in Tezz and can get more bang for your buck by playing narrower and cheaper stuff.

>Creatures
As I wrote, you just clog the board with 5/5s, thopters and a bridge. Also, Damnation can be your 2BB point removal. You'd wonder how often I had to Damnation a Delver, a TTN or - best game ever - an animated Batterskull

>Fabricate
see >>46460167

>GY
Relic is solid, but keep an eye on Nihil. Card is pretty awesome interacts with Foundry and Reshape. (i.e. sac, pay, draw a card ??? value)

>Far//Away
desu this is just some secrit tech I am always advertising to people because it is so versatile and overlooked
it is definitely no priority, I just like the card
>>
File: 1453344453305.png (577 KB, 619x443) Image search: [Google]
1453344453305.png
577 KB, 619x443
>>46460139
yes,you can play isochron scepter with prevent or angels grace but its 2 mana every turn and white or green for fog stuff
>>
File: 1305143904424.jpg (48 KB, 492x340) Image search: [Google]
1305143904424.jpg
48 KB, 492x340
>5 turns to draw 3 cards ritual is good
>>
>>46460364
Vintage is really lame to me. I used to play but it just isn't fun for me
>>
PSA: The only deck in Legacy that actually uses Vision is reliably able to cheat it out for free off a Cascading 2/2.
>>
>>46460491
I don't think you're taking into account how different legacy and modern are.
>>
>>46460502
God, could that infographic be any worse? Who's the schmuck who designed this? They need a lesson in color contrast.
>>
>>46460396
If he doesn't, you don't really have any recourse, right?
>>
>>46460353
I can't say much on modern sideboarding sadly. Legacy sideboarding is so vastly different.

Tezz can be a really awesome toolbox walker if you need him to be.

Bad MUs include decks that don't rely on the board to win (Burn), that can bypass Bridge (Affinity, Infect), that just go biggerand have a better lategame (would be Tron in Modern)
Good MUs include control decks, combo decks, anything tempo/aggro not named in the bad MUs

So I would dedicate something to Burn - Sun Droplet, Spellskite maybe or you go crazy and play Vault Skirge/Ensoul Artifact maindeck which is basically a free win against Burn
Something to Affinity and Infect - Spellskite, Far//Away, maybe EE
And in general Needles/Revokers/Grafdiggers - basically any strong hate artifact is pure gold in Tezz as you will definitely see it sooner or later
>>
>>46460669
Do you run chalice as a 4 of in your list?
>>
>>46459840
lol I went through the cathedral that cosplay lady was hosting at GP Detroit, later I met her in the hotel bar with a few other event people and chatted with them for a bit, bought her a drink "for avacyn's sake" but it didn't go anywhere
>>
>>46460613
I played the deck minus Strix/Tomb/SotM on some modern tournaments

I played a more midrange/aggro approach with Skirge/Ensoul combo which was pretty disgusting and made a lot of people quite salty

I am aware of the fact, that modern is different but the U/B Tezz approach using Bridges/ThopterMeek etc. is still the same deck being built
>>
>>46460739
lol cuck
>>
>>46460751
you would not belive some of the other neckbears slobbering over her while we were doing the puzzles, she's probably so used to unwelcome advances I'm amazed she even let me get her a drink
>>
>>46460705
Because of Legacy, yes. But then again I am shutting down like 90% of the played cards of the format.

In Modern I am not sure of this. There is less 1cmc degeneracy. Maybe a sideboard card in modern?
If Chalice is a dead card Tezz has access to a whole new world of cards you have to avoid in Legacy due to T1 Chalice being your primary plan in so many games.
>>
>>46459486
No shit retard. The point isn't to kill decks, it's to nerf them so they're level with the rest of the playing field. Even this can be enough for new decks or tech to emerge.
>>
>>46460777
Got any good neckbeard encounters to share?
>>
File: 1289786310761.jpg (64 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1289786310761.jpg
64 KB, 800x800
>read b&r announcement
>realize the return of blue permission decks
>looks at his single Cavern of Souls
>mfw as a Elves pilot
>>
>>46459636
I definitely think stormchaser is worth trying out but is it really going to be better than young pyro?
Also I'd cut white but that's like, just my opinion man.
>>
>>46460791
I mean, it fucks with storm, burn, zoo, delver, and infect, and it shuts off a lot of other cards, which I might not care about too much, but still, these are the decks I'd be worried about in modern and it's really fucking good against all of them
>>
Ancestral Vision now $50, so I'm trading mine off at last for other stuff before the gloss wears off and players realise it's not that great and the value drops off.
>>
File: yui grin.jpg (222 KB, 764x632) Image search: [Google]
yui grin.jpg
222 KB, 764x632
>>46460865
Just finish the set you cheap cunt.
>>
>>46460905
Yeah, hard to evaluate this as I am really stuck in the mindest of Chalice being a T1 play off a sol land.

On a sidenote: T1 Chalice on 0 fucks with Affinity in a pretty funny way.
>>
Are people actually calling ancestral visions bad? /tg/ please quit living up to your name as bad at magic.
>>
Granted it's probably much better with Thopter Foundry, I'm kind of curious what else can sword of the meek can do to the format. I feel like it could be a lot of fun in any tokens based deck.
>>
>tfw tezzerator was my first modern deck
>tfw got rid of damnations and tar pits
>tfw 40$ agent of bolas, 30$ SotM, 10$ foundries

I dont know whether to rebuild or sell it now
>>
>>46461010
>spend a card and a mana doing nothing
>good
k e k
e
k
>>
>>46460993
No main board chalice just seems great to me, dropping it on 1 or 0 depending on the aggro deck can really give you an edge, I think it's sweet personally
>>
>>46459378
Modern will go back to affinity and infect, with 1 or 2 grixis players furiously trying to win against them.
>>
>>46460654

I don't think so. I've bought with him before in a somewhat similar situation (bought a playset of Spaceshifts the day they spiked a few years back) and he honored the deal. I mean, I COULD have bought ALL his 12 swords of the meek, but I only bought 4.. we'll see, maybe he'll send me Heavy Played chinese versions.
>>
>>46459590
Preordain is better than Ponder. And both are better than Visions.
>>
>>46461151
>Preordain is better than ponder
>seeing 3 cards is better than 2
>>
>>46461184
3 is better than 4 rather
>>
>>46459918
Eyes see use in Legacy. I don't see their value diminishing that much.
>>
>>46461151
Preordain is better than Ponder.
Without fetchlands, yes, but only then.
>>
>>46461205
>Preordain is better than Ponder.
Fucking greentext, how does it work?
>>
>>46461202
Here it is, the cuck who spent $50 on eyes.
C U C K
>>
>>46461072
Then I'm sure it was banned for funsies right
>>
>>46461249
I don't play memedern.
>>
>>46461281
>he already forgot about bitterblossom
you could at least not post in the modern general if you don't know anything about modern, you know? there are plenty of mtg threads on /tg/. you could start a casual magic one, those always get a lot of traction.
>>
File: 1453043159503.jpg (64 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1453043159503.jpg
64 KB, 768x1024
>People saying preordained is better than Ponder
Listen, this talk has been had for ages. The fact that ponder gives you a shuffle effect and let's you see 1 more card makes it slightly more favorable in more circumstances over preordain, that is all. Please drop this conversation, it's been had so many times.
>>
>>46460956
I'll wait for EMA. If it isn't in, it's an instant buy.
>>
File: Itistheend.jpg (435 KB, 1288x1440) Image search: [Google]
Itistheend.jpg
435 KB, 1288x1440
>>46461352
>>
>>46461315
What's with modernbabbies' superiority complex? Your format is less diverse than Legacy, less dynamic than Standard, less powerful than Vintage, less fun than EDH and less challenging than limited. It's poor man's Legacy and Standard's trash bin. It's a meme format for babbies who want to pretend they wield power level and play with the big boys when they don't want to buy duals or forces. No one cares about Memedern save for Memedern players, not even Wizards. Get off your goddamn high horse for a second.
>>
>>46461352
ponder is better but only with fetchlands, pauper and legacy are proof of that
>>
>>46461408
>less diverse than Legacy,
When the majority of decks have to run the blue card draws + fow as near 4 ofs, naw.
>>
>>46461408

You'll never get a good answer to this question, it's just a fact of life, modern players are subhuman pieces of filth
>>
>>46460993
That's putting it lightly. T1 chalice against Affinity usually results in Affinity scooping.
>>
>>46461352
ponder is only stronger if you have fetchlands
>>
File: UR Prowess.png (1 MB, 1862x776) Image search: [Google]
UR Prowess.png
1 MB, 1862x776
>>46459636
here u go f@m

this deck is really, really fun.
>>
>>46461408
>>46461467

>Sperging out this hard
>double posting

Holy shit anon, take your meds.
>>
>>46461500

Nah I'm the second poster, not the first and I ran out of my meds recently, can't afford to refill
>>
>>46461455
>majority of decks have to run the blue card draws + fow as near 4 ofs

t. somebody who has never played Legacy or been to a Legacy tournament
>>
>>46461455
People who say this don't actually play Legacy. Why don't you try proxying up Jund or NicFit.
>>
>>46461455
Archetype diversity is more important than card diversity. FOW and Brainstorm enable Combo, Midrange, Tempo, and Control decks. In Modern the only really competitive archetypes are aggro and midrange, with the occasional combo deck that reached 5% metagame share and then gets banned.
>>
>>46461467
>Not playing both formats and enjoying them
>>
>>46461455
What are Elves, Burn, Painter, Death&Taxes, Eldrazi, Dredge, ANT, Jund and Goblins
>>
>>46461578
>playing a format where turn 3 combo decks that fold to a mana leak are oppressive and get banned
>>
I am familiar with the thopter/sword combo but have never really seen it in play, how quickly can it close out a game as the sole win-con?

Wondering if I can play a UR or Grixis tempo shell with this combo if its a decent enough win con.
>>
>>46461602
>Not playing a turn 2.7 combo deck in one format and an artifact-based aggro deck in another.
I also play Pauper in MTGO.
>>
>>46461643
it takes a while to actually close because you're just tapping out to make 1/1 tokens each turn

probably like 3-5 turns desu
>>
File: you.jpg (37 KB, 267x300) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
37 KB, 267x300
>>46461602
badwrongfun in full force today
>>
>>46461578
Honestly I'd rather play Pauper.
>>
>>46459431
It's not supposed to be a deck, retard. It's a combo you splash into other decks that involve those colors.

Fucking /tg/.
>>
>>46460864
It was mostly run of the mill GP cringe, a bunch of guys who don't really know how to act in public together in one place. A lot of taking games way too seriously and reciting card information nobody asked for. The worst was this weeb who was in front of me in line at the artist' booths. He was almost like a stereotypical otaku, overweight, greasy, anime girl backpack. When he got up he asked the artist Jesper Myfors to draw a touhou character, the one that rides the broom like a witch, flying over his Tropical Island. The artist didn't know who that was so the weeb showed him a bunch of pictures and the artists face dropped a little. The weeb said it was for his "Touhou EDH deck." Jesper was good natured about it and drew it for the kid, but I could tell he was a little annoyed to ruin one of his more iconic artworks with a Japanese cartoon character.
>>
>>46461523
You're right, he should have clarified "majority of decks in the Top 8"
>>
>>46461693
It's not a good strategy if you just cram it into an existing UWx or UBx deck though. If you're gonna run some number of Foundries and Swords you're gonna want to play Thirst for Knowledge, which pushes you further into an artifact theme, and pretty soon you're either playing Tezzerator or UWx Thopter/Sword control.
>>
File: fortykeks.gif (91 KB, 231x199) Image search: [Google]
fortykeks.gif
91 KB, 231x199
>>46461695
>Touhou EDH deck
>>
>>46461408
Most of my playgroup is trying to move to Modern rn and it sucks.
>>
File: Current Collection.jpg (2 MB, 2443x1869) Image search: [Google]
Current Collection.jpg
2 MB, 2443x1869
My latest haul, plus two lucky boosters. Still trying to figure out a way to make a 60-card deck out of this collection.

Not pictured: a fuckton of forests and mountains.
>>
>>46461778
>Spikes

Man these guys are a ton of fun, but unfortunately not modern. Are you looking to make a (casual) modern deck with these or just a pure casual "kitchen table" deck?
>>
Any testing on Werewolves?
>>
>>46461896
Just pure casual fun with friends. I'm not one for the "pro" scene.

I also have a ton of blue/green cards on the way, in case playing red isn't up my alley.
>>
>>46461949
Sure, gimme a second.

Okay. I checked, and they still have the same transforming gimmick, so they're still garbage.
>>
>>46461975

If you want to lose your friends pick up 4 hymn to tourachs and play monoblack discard.
>>
>>46462020
The new guy that spits out dudes seems legit. 4x Mutagenic, 4x Gut Shot, 4x Company. I'd make a list but frankly I'm sick of Modern decks doing nothing but focusing on how to turn the most dudes sideways.
>>
>>46461285
Still you paid $50 for eye of ugin in legacy cuck.
>>
>>46461524
Not samefag but:
>Playing Jund instead of superior BUG
Legacy has too much blue for the people who don't like counterspells (aka: noobs)

But i agree my favorite deck, Enchantress, don't run any blue, nor does D&T
>>
I don't think I've seen people bring up Time Sieve for ThopterSword Tezz. Do people not think it's good enough?
>>
>>46461975
Normally I'd recommend going over to the MTG general or casual general, but it doesn't look like one is up. If you want to get a deck that'll slap around casual decks and won't break the bank, look into "Blistering Rage" for modern. It's an RG deck (not sure if it actually uses any of the cards you have there though) that's very straight forward, fairly fast, and pretty easy to tweak around.
>>
>>46461408
>legacy
>diverse
When every single deck plays blue duals & force of Wills.
Nicely meme'd fag :^)
>>
>>46462112
No, I paid $10 for one I use in EDH
>>
Alright folks, challenge time. Can you come up with a decklist that costs $150 or less, and could consistently place in/win a typical Modern FNM event?
>>
>>46461408
haha what? I play standard too, and I'd love to play legacy if I wasn't poor. I'm shitting on you for being retarded and talking like you know shit about modern in the modern general when you clearly don't. Casualbabs are fine by me but don't talk when the adults are talking ok?
>>
>>46462176
see >>46461589
>>
>>46462186
>try-hard babby plays the two scummiest, memest formats in Magic
Why am I not surprised?
>>
>>46462186
>I play standard
>I can't afford legacy

One of these statements is a lie.
>>
>>46461695
>Touhou edh deck

My sides please
>>
File: 1339814670.jpg (245 KB, 1080x981) Image search: [Google]
1339814670.jpg
245 KB, 1080x981
>>46461695
I would have told him to fuck off, honestly
>>
>>46462180

Green Stompy is a decent deck.
>>
>tfw I can finally play zoo again
>>
>>46462180
No
>>
File: laughing bitches.jpg (210 KB, 489x500) Image search: [Google]
laughing bitches.jpg
210 KB, 489x500
>>46462220
>casualbabs get bootyblasted whenever you call them out
>>
>>46462155
Awesome, thank you! I looked for an MTG general myself but got a bunch of more specific threads ;3;
>>
>>46459918
Bought that shit for 5 in December but I didn't get to sell it before the ban. Oh well.
>>
Can someone tell me if faeries is fun to play and good enough to not get dunked on at decently competitive meta but not the kind to jump on only t1 decks.
>>
>>46461758
As a long-time Modern player, only retards would try to enter this ridiculously expensive format at this point.

My modern cards have inflated to well over 300%+ of the price I got them for. Some cards increased in price by 1000%. Perhaps percentages don't mean much to people. Some cards went from $5.00 to $45.00.

I want to see this format die due to lack of participation just to see if Wizards will throw the format a lifeline by reprinting cards en masse. But I know it won't die, because we're all fucking stupid people because we're Magic players.
>>
>>46462311
>is too poor to play Legacy, too stupid to play Pauper, too autistic to play EDH
>has the gall to call other people casuals
>>
I'll try a new Jund-Loam list i found online. It plays arround The Gitrog Monster and lots and lots of value. I want a deck that can win the long run but also with a beatdown Option B.
>>
>>46462376
>Molten Vortex
>Loam
>Pepe

VALUE
A
L
U
E
>>
>>46461205
Ponder is -slightly- better than Preordain with fetchlands. In all other situations Preordain is better. You can't get Preordain locked, while Ponder in many cases just replaces itself with a random card.
>>
File: JTMS.jpg (33 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
JTMS.jpg
33 KB, 223x310
Hey guys can I be unbanned yet? I swear I won't cause any problems.
>>
>>46462397
>>46461205
>Preordain is better than Ponder

GETTING PRETTY TRIGGERED OVER HERE
>>
>>46462342
It's stupid expensive for what it does, and what it does is play a kinda decent tempo game. I'd personally suggest picking up literally any other tempo deck.
>>
>>46462411
maybe if he gets a good reprint or two
>>
>>46462328
It happens. Also, to clarify a bit, most Blistering Rage lists are more or less mono-red, but given the nature of it the cheapest and easiest upgrades/tweaks to it come from green.
>>
>Build mono-red burn
>Win

Nice game Magitards.
>>
>>46462186
>plays only standard and modern

You are the lowest common denominator of magic players

Neck yourself
>>
>>46462446
do you think AV unband will help?
>>
>>46462228
Not the same person, but I thought you were wrong and started looking up deck prices on top 8 and holy shit was I mistaken.

A good standard deck looks to be something like $500-$800... the variance in cost for Legacy is a bit higher, but the new Eldrazi aggro is under $1200, but classic mainstays of the format like Jund and Miracles are $2500.

If you saved your money from playing Standard for two rotations, you could have a good Legacy deck already, holy fuck.
>>
>>46462511
Precisely why I've lost all interest in Magic and started playing Force of Will
>>
>>46462411
I hope so, I could cut that one from my foil EDH deck after the price jumped like I'm doing with Ancestral now.
>>
>>46462397
stop posting
>>
>>46462540
>started playing Force of Will
teach me your secrets

how do i get a deck

where can i play
>>
File: 20151125_002127.jpg (395 KB, 596x838) Image search: [Google]
20151125_002127.jpg
395 KB, 596x838
>tfw putting away still-smoking Eye of Ugins
>it was a good and bloody run
>what to play now...
>flip to a long neglected page and find a foil set of these staring me in the face
>set of swords on the adjacent page
>set of AV the page after

Everything is going to be okay.
>>
>>46462511
Your data is wrong because of fetches and jace, merfolk looter.
A playsets of Jace already increases deck prices by more than $300
Every deck played 8 to 12 fetches, at $15 a piece, you add like $150
Fetches are played evrywhere so it's not like you bought them just for standard.
Jace, merfolk looter is also played in other format.
Without those 2 types of cards, standard decks costs less than 250$
>>
>>46462569
>how
Buy deck.
>where
At shop.
>>
>>46462610
>buy deck
Obviously, but which one? How do I find a good list?

>at shop
My shop sells FoW packs but that's it, they don't run events for it or sell singles.
>>
>>46462587
Sell now

They're going to bomb in the next couple days
>>
>>46461778
>Spike
You can go for the spike combo with that angel that adds counters when you gain life.
>>
File: 1439844678484.jpg (134 KB, 698x840) Image search: [Google]
1439844678484.jpg
134 KB, 698x840
>people talking about how great Legacy is
>mfw there's nowhere to play it within 300 miles
>>
>>46462743
Sucks to live in a non-city on a non-continent, right?
>>
>>46462743
Pay the Chinese $200 per player. Get proxies. Start Legacy locally.

Done and done.
>>
>>46462672
Hawking the AVs for sure.
>>
>>46462511
>A good standard deck looks to be something like $500-$800
Not after rotation. This last Standard was crazy expensive, mainly because of fetches and 4-color decks. Shit was nuts
>>
>>46462743
Nearestlgswithlegacyeventsnotinlocalgalacticcluster.jpg
>>
>>46460132
No it's not, especially when it's actually free on turn 5 and you can cast whatever you drew. It's not Treasure Cruise and is a shit top deck but it's strong if you actually cast it early.
>>
>>46462504
I'm really unsure of the powerlevel of the card to be honest, I've never played with it before.
>>
File: 1453761254211.jpg (30 KB, 525x584) Image search: [Google]
1453761254211.jpg
30 KB, 525x584
>>46460956
>yui_grin.jpg
>>
>>46462511
last meta was very expensive, both fetches and baby jace are sought after in other formats and were basically mandatory in the Khans/Origins standard, so deck prices just shot up. now that fetches are rotating, things will settle. Standard is usually very cheap since the relevant cards are still in print, providing a constant flow to keep the prices down. I rarely spend more than 100 on a deck, closer to 50. That's considered budget range, but I still find myself able to compete adequately compete at FNM and place 1/4 of the time.
>>
>>46463027
It enables control decks for the most part. It's not good for the majority of deck types, but for slower attrition based decks it just might be the boost they need to become relevant.
>>
>>46462540
Force of Will is just modern with commanders and Yugioh design philosophy. Enjoy aggro getting all of the tools, having to build a new deck when the next set has even more broken rulers than the last, and your qt anime girls (actually enjoy the qt anime girls, not sarcastically, it's the only good part of the game anymore).
>>
>>46462363
>edh
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
>>
>>46462655
If you just want a starter from your locals the Faria Vs. Melgis (if you can find it) or Arla ones are the best. For decklists look on fowtavern/grinning remnant or the fowtcg us facebook page which is unfortunately the biggest and most convenient hub for the game atm. The tier 1 ruler right now is Reflect/Refrain and then whatever 55 other cards you want.

I wish /tg/ had fow threads but i guess the game is ded
>>
Modern players are simply bad people

You don't want to associate with them, it's bad for your mental health, not to mention your social standing
>>
>>46463260
Shitposters are simply bad people

You don't want to associate with them, it's bad for your mental health, not to mention your social standing
>>
>>46463260
This.
EDH is where the girls at, Legacy is where gentlemen and fellow patricians gather and Pauper is a memebut still fun
>>
>>46463199
>let's see, should I play good, expensive cards with value that stands the test of time (Legacy) or goofy jank that's fun to play with (EDH)?
>i know! what if I had neither?
t. average memedern player
>>
>>46463393
Why are you here. Pretty sad desu
>>
>>46463227
>I wish /tg/ had fow threads but i guess the game is ded
Not into the game myself, but some have popped up infrequently. If you or someone else started one, you'd see some others show up.
>>
>>46462655
Not that guy but you want my genuine advice? Buy a deck for one of the most recent rulers, they're always the best, and make sure it includes red or green in it, they're by far the best colors in the game. If the deck isn't primary red or green then one must at least be a supporting color.

Then to find games you could try google?
>>
>>46460865
just get a playset of cavern of souls?
>>
>>46463155
Except aggro only got 1 good card in the last set and the new rulers are all balanced. Granted r/r is still the best and so is aggro and/or turbo gwiber, but that's a different problem.
>>
>>46463469
When was the last time a traditional style control deck got any tools. Look at any Vlad list running around and you'll see they've been about the same for 8 months. Meanwhile red aggro decks get new tools expansion and R/R combo decks continue to dominate even after the errata.
>>
>>46462587
Yeah I'd sell them all now on ebay and buy them back for less than half price bruh
>>
>SOI cards pre-ordered at their lowest
>Declaration in Stone climbing to almost $9 already
>picked up @ $4 each
>Store has pre-order policy saying they can change the order price whenever (they ask to pay or cancel order)

People stop buying cards till this Friday please.
>>
>>46463514
>Kaguya 1.0 support
>3 new cancel spells
>lucifer
>anomaly
>tree and all its support
I'm not trying to say aggro +r/r isn't still super busted, but cmon. Control got a ton of cards in the last set and red got one of the worst rulers and support in the game.
>>
>>46462180
budget B/W tokens, 8whack, bogles without canopys
>>
File: sH18HwJ.png (612 KB, 575x785) Image search: [Google]
sH18HwJ.png
612 KB, 575x785
GUYS, I DID IT
>>
>>46463689
And which of those cards are seeing play in any decks that have existed prior to the newest set? R/R obviously excepted because we both agree that card just needs to go.
>>
File: tree-of-redemption.jpg (72 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
tree-of-redemption.jpg
72 KB, 480x680
>>46463790
I SOLVED MODERN
>>
>>46462180
8rack without Lilianas (should stay under 150 with Bridges and Mutavaults, Lilianas can be replaced with Blackmail/Shrieking Affliction/more creature removal) should be decent against the entire field excluding Tron and Jund.
>>
>>46463810
Shrieking Affliction -> meant Necrogen Mists
>>
>>46463807
nice tree you have there

it would be a shame if it slipped
>>
File: 64976282ae[1].jpg (134 KB, 603x856) Image search: [Google]
64976282ae[1].jpg
134 KB, 603x856
All I care about is VALUE
>>
>>46463807
Uh.. that combo just kills you, anon. Or is that the joke? Modern is solved by killing yourself?
>>
>>46461490
Are snaps really that good in this deck?
>>
File: iStock_000016316801XSmall.jpg (83 KB, 420x286) Image search: [Google]
iStock_000016316801XSmall.jpg
83 KB, 420x286
Wizards you finally did something that wasn't completely retarded

All I can say is YES
>>
>>46463807
[vigorous applause intensifies]
>>
File: declarationinsheckles.jpg (66 KB, 553x314) Image search: [Google]
declarationinsheckles.jpg
66 KB, 553x314
>>46463679
As a European, the American market continues to both amaze and crack me up at the same time.
>>
>>46463864
Yes anon. That's the joke.
>>
>>46463888
Here's hoping the unbans don't turn out bad

If these ones plus the last few cards unbanned (Nacatl, Bitterblossom, Grave Troll) continue to not be broken, there's a chance Wizz unbans some more decent cards in the coming announcements.
>>
>>46463929
Yeah that is my only true fear

If this works out, wizards can keep an open mind about the modern banlist

If this doesn't work out no more unbans ever again
>>
>>46463929
>>46463982
Protip: "safe" typically means "won't do shit".
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.