[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So ... I'd ask for some assessment/ideas on my concept,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 05.jpg (112 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
05.jpg
112 KB, 400x300
So ... I'd ask for some assessment/ideas on my concept, /tg/.

I want to present kobolds to my new group. I want to present them mainly as intelligent and not inhenrently violent.

So I was thinking ... what do you think of an idea of kobolds moving into mostly human-settled badlands? There they pick a nice hill and fill it with tunnels. They secure it with all sorts of traps, prepare murderholes. Then I was thinking ... What If they used this place for something more/better then just a raiding staging point. I don't know - a bank, some sort of aid to other settlements? How could such a place benefit the region? Also I hope to find something kobolds can profit from.

What do you guys think? Any ideas much appreciated as well as trap ideas or maps of underground lairs.
>>
what's an kobold?
>>
>>46453348
I like the idea of kobold bankers. It makes a nice niche for them in the fantasy world, without really displacing any other fantasy race, and even gives a little pun to the term "gnomes of zurich", if we're going with more folkloric kobolds. Also the mining probably helps with banking really well, lots of raw resources to use as capitol.

It would probably benefit a region the same way that banks in general benefit a region. You have middlemen(bolds) for mercantile deals, a secure and trap-infested place to hide your money from enterprising rogues, and a place to borrow money, from a species that are basically the closest thing you can get to "draconic business practices" without involving an actual dragon.

On that note, you could probably also have a dragon run the place. A free horde that people just give you? Sounds like fun to me.
>>
>>46453383
They used to be dog-people. Then later editions of DnD made them into this weird canon-fodder race of subterranean dragon-children who are basically on par with goblins.
>>
>>46453441
Who in right mind would trust their money to KOBOLDS?
>>
>>46454166
>Who in right mind would trust their money to KOBOLDS?

well sounds like we have an excellent start for a campaign.
>>
>>46453348
>What do you guys think? Any ideas much appreciated as well as trap ideas or maps of underground lairs.
Well, for starters, how about making it an actual settlement? You know: a place of relative safety where you can rest, form a trade hub, produce goods?
Also, they dig pretty deep right? And these badlands: I assume harsh environment? Well, digging deep generally means coming across water. If the surroundings are dry, their "lair" could essentially work as an oasis of sort, providing water for the caravans, even selling it, or even crazier: pumping it up and through aqueducts share it with local surface settlements.

>>46453441
I don't like that idea. OP said "badlands" right? What is the fucking point of having a bank in sparsely settled, un-urbanized environments?

They could instead trade in coal, water, clay (and that means pottery): provide shelter and accommodation.

Or here is another idea: the could work essentially as a monastery: providing shelter, healing and spiritual help to travelers, while also harboring knowledge, history and record keeping, slowly building their library and eventually sharing the wisdom with others?
>>
>>46453348
I like the idea.

They have a discreet banking office in many of the local towns and such but their main vault and HQ is down the ye olde ancestral tunnels out in the badlands.

Head of the bank is a dragon in human form and an exquisite business suit.
>>
Kobolds are usually lawful evil so they may be acting friendly under orders of some greater evil.

Perhaps they are being allowed to burrow under human towns to extract ores, and serve the unknown purpose of their evil master
>>
>>46454166
Those wouldn't be standard fantasy cobolds, so, i assume, a lot of people.

> A free horde that people just give you?
>horde
Autocorrect or illiterate fucktard?
>>
>>46454259
>Kobolds are usually lawful evil

for the purpose of anything that isn't hack and slashing in a D&D dungeon alignement system should be ignored.
>>
>>46454274
this to be desu fampai.
>>
>>46454274
Plus lawful evil doesn't really mean "not friendly."
There is profit and benefit there.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.