[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Systems for Superpowers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: Geets.png (219 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Geets.png
219 KB, 500x375
What do you use in your games /tg/?

I want to run a superpowers based campaign where the players progress from street level to somewhere between city and country busters over the course of it.

I've heard good things about Mutants and Masterminds, and had bad experiences with Big Eyes Small Mouth, albeit either can be written off as bias or misfortune.
>>
>>46452127
Wild Talents
>>
HERO system
>>
>>46452127
what was your experience with BESM?
>>
>>46452127
Mutants and Masterminds. Start at PL8, advance PL when plot advances to the next stage and give an extra serving of power points to buff up when you do.

You may also want to limit types of powers and open up as you go.
I.e. you start with a guy with pockets of minor gadgets, then he decks himself in regular kevlar with some of them integrated, then goes to iron man, then goes to giant mecha.
Tough face beating guy gets tougher, faster, then gets super jump, then flight and other superman tricks.
Skulky shadowy guy gets wall crawling and webshooting and then can turn into a giant spidermonster if he needs to.
Coordinate power acquisition with PL boosts and extra pp giveouts to give them resources to actually buy all that stuff.
>>
Aberrant. White wolf game.
>>
>>46452193
>>46452287
Thanks lads.

>>46452375
Just poor. The game didn't go well, the other players weren't enjoying it. This doesn't necessarily reflect the system either.

>>46452920
Ta lad, I appreciate it.
>>
>>46452375
Well, candlewax is a little odd to play with, but I rather liked the use of ropes and whips....
>>
I mostly use Mutants & Masterminds for supers. I think it does a good job of capturing how comic characters work, while maintaining some semblance of balance.

I've heard good things about the Hero System, but haven't tried it myself.

Someone is eventually going to suggest GURPS. Do not listen to them unless you plan to do a street level game. I like GURPS, but it gets wonky at high power levels.
>>
>>46453448
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/026war1l4oo42/Mutants_and_Masterminds Here's a PDF collection, I recommend browsing the DC Adventures Heroes and Villains supplements (it's under 3e and Settings iirc) to see how power levels correspond to a familiar universe.
>>
>>46452127
I use imagination +1. It's a simple and very abstract system, and can pretty much handle any type of setting and campaign.
>>
guys I have a MNM 3e question.

I'm newbie GM starting a game and I have a guy wanting to play a crimefighter archetype.
But I am not sure where the line is between Equipment and full point cost gadgets is. Sentinels sample characters are confusing: Victor has his blaster as a Removable device, the Rook has helmet sensors and wings also as devices, but then a bunch of attacking gadgets as Equipment. They are two points lower in effect strength than the blaster, but otherwise are pretty much same "unique gadgets" category. Where's the line drawn?
(Not to mention the worry that 3 effect ranks will be nearly useless against actual super villains)

..And then looking through Threat Report, there's a bird-styled villain with /much/ buffer gadgets, still all as equipment except wings.
>>
>>46452127

M&M 3e. Icons, Wild Talents, Marvel Heroic are all good shit.
>>
>>46455303
Anybody got PDF of ICONS Assembled? I've only seen the initial edition and I had too many "oh shit nigga what are you doing" reactions to its mechanics.
>>
>>46455303
Running Annihilation for Marvel Heroic is possibly the most fun I have ever had playing tabletop RPGs. And that's saying a lot.

One of these days I'm gonna do write-ups for Conquest, WoK, and Thanos Imperative.
>>
>>46453482
Does GURPS just break down at blockbuster and up, or is there some specific point where it falls apart?

>>46453497
Again, much appreciated.

>>46453374
>>46455303
Thanks lads.

>>46456105
That's a hefty recommendation, how's the system handle?
>>
If you want a more narrative system check out Worlds in Peril.
>>
>>46455413
http://www.mediafire.com/download/n7dqx3gev43rrq3/ICONS_Assembled_Edition.pdf
>>
>>46461048
Ooh, thanks.

Now, let's see...
Still RNG chargen, still RNG lethality...
At least the Immortality is not so utterly retarded now. (previously it was just 'you can come back to life' with no specifications, and literally everybody can do that in this system; now it has you just popping back in X hours later. It also used to cost you two power slots in their RNG roulette for that extra pontlessness)
Oh well.
>>
Hero system. After chargen it's easy and fast to play. The only thing that's kind of wonky is a few super powers, though they're explicitly labeled "Warning" or "Stop: read carefully" in the book.
>>
Slightly off topic but speaking of super hero games; does anyone have much experience with Champions: Complete? I'm supposed to be joining a game but I have no idea what to expect or how making a character works.
>>
>>46461665
It's exactly like Hero System in everything but name. The Hero System has been smoothed down from 2 600+ page books per edition to one 300+ page book. Download the PDF and get a google docs template or excel sheet up so you can roughly arrange where your points are going.

Someone post the "Hero system: Simplified" PDF. It's two pages long and explains the system in its entirety.
>>
>>46461665
The ratio of points should be something like this:
Skills: 1/5-1/6
Powers: 1/3-2/5
Stats: 1/3-2/5
Perks: whatever is left over
>>
>>46461745
>>46461859

Cool, thanks. What kind of power level should I expect? Can I make a superman/Darkseid tier badass? Or am I going to be stuck as a Daredevil schmuck?
>>
>>46461912
Depends on how many points he gives you. If he goes 300+ expect magneto level shenanigans. If he goes 150-200 expect mutant level stuff. Anything below that is "above average" agent style.
>>
>>46462239
Alright, I'll clarify or make a few ideas. Thanks for the info.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.