[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is that the Imperium decided all of mankind should subsist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: Grox.jpg (49 KB, 431x311) Image search: [Google]
Grox.jpg
49 KB, 431x311
How is that the Imperium decided all of mankind should subsist on Grox, a xeno meat?

What happened to cows and pigs and goats and chickens?
>>
Maybe grox get you a really good return on investment? That's why we farm cows instead of say, deer or horse, because they give you a much higher amount of meat relative to the time and resources required to raise them.
>>
>>46431465
Apparently their meat is very nutritious and they can eat a shitload of different foods, so they can be reared on many different types of worlds.
>>
>>46431505
>>46431523
But it's still xeno meat, surely for the Imperium that would have been a big no no.
>>
File: Terramap.jpg (20 KB, 370x345) Image search: [Google]
Terramap.jpg
20 KB, 370x345
>>46431465
Cows and pigs and chickens probably went extinct with the rest of Earth's natural fauna and flora.

Plus, the Grox is just better.

This is also a dumb question. It's like why asking why they use promethium instead of petroleum because you can't find it naturally on Earth.
>>
>>46431536
Yeh but theres a difference between a sapiant creature that has actual civilization and society and a creature used for livestock.
>>
>>46431536
Xenos are only bad of they're a threat to humanity. A grox is just a dumb creature that isn't a threat to anyone except possibly some stupid wrangler somewhere, assuming they're lobotomized properly. It's intelligent xenos the Imperium has an issue with.
>>
>>46431536
When the Imperium talks about xenos, they refer specifically to intelligent alien species. Grox are just animals. If some planet has native plants and animals that can be farmed and raised as lifestock, it usually makes more sense for the colonists to raise those than try to transplant foreign animals onto the planet.

As to why grox are the standard lifestock animal, probably because they can survive in just about any conditions, and their meat is very nutritious. Presumably they were native to some planet the Imperium colonized, and somebody figured they'd make good lifestock to transplant on planets that don't have native life suitable for the purpose (and probably some that do but ar enot as good for the purpose than the grox. Grox are supposed to be kept aboard starships to provide food for the crew, so most colony ships would probably have grox aboard).
>>
File: burger.png (724 KB, 565x782) Image search: [Google]
burger.png
724 KB, 565x782
>>
File: tacos.png (483 KB, 565x782) Image search: [Google]
tacos.png
483 KB, 565x782
>>
>>46431465
Grox can live virtually anywhere. Grox aren't popular because they're docile or even that tasty, but because the damn things can subsist on seemingly anything and live on any world the Imperial finds fit for colonization.
>>
>>46431536
Everything outside of Earth is pretty much xeno matter of some form or another, but mankind still uses the resources from them. Humanity doesn't fucking raze every planet they come across to exterminate all xeno life simply because it isn't human and from Terra.

As others in the thread have said, when the Imperium refers to xenos they specifically mean intelligent aliens that are capable of harming humanity significantly enough to be a threat. Alien animals, foliage, minerals and other things aren't a threat and can be utilized.

It's a simple concept. Don't make 40K more grimderp.
>>
>>46431505
>That's why we farm cows instead of say, deer or horse, because they give you a much higher amount of meat relative to the time and resources required to raise them.

Wrong. Pigs, chickens, and sheep are all much more efficient than beef cattle.
>>
>>46431795
while it's true that beef was previously a pretty patrician meat and chickens were for peasants and slaves, beef is still easier to raise than deer and such

also I've posters on /int/ from poor south american countries boast about eating beef because beef is still a relative "luxury" there in some places
>>
>>46431779
I agree with you on this (and I'm not the guy you're responding to) but one thing that irks the shit out of me is the cavalier treatment of extraterrestrial materiel by imperials in some of the books.

For example, in Nightbringer, Captain Ventris monologues that he's not overly familiar with eldar and doesn't really know the difference between eldar and DE because they're all eldar scum to him (which is retarded because in the codexes it says marines undergo intense training where they hook up to machines to learn about tactics and aliens with their super ehnanced minds, so he should be an eldar pro,) but this guy then proceeds to dig a DE crystal venom shot thing out of a wall with his hand.

IRL the whole area should be cordoned off and some equivalent of HAZMAT marines would be sent in to deal with it. You have no idea what that alien tech is capable of and you might have just contracted some insane disease or radiation or poison from touching it. Realistically written imperial fighters should treat all things created or touched by aliens like it has cooties.
>>
>>46431465
Grox is a large, belligerent, dinosaur cockroach.
It'll live in almost any environment on very little food and has great returns for the amount of effort to raise.

Other then the fact they need to lobotomise them to get rid of the aggression, they're to livestock what the potato is to vegetables.

Also, ancient Terra livestock is probably all extinct or exists only in small isolated populations on select worlds.

And it doesn't matter that it's Xenos for the same reason we never accused German livestock from the 1930s of being Nazis.

IT'S FUCKING LIVESTOCK!
>>
>>46432011
>You have no idea what that alien tech is capable of and you might have just contracted some insane disease or radiation or poison from touching it
Space Marines are immune to almost every single non-Warp-related disease and poison in the galaxy. In the novel Dark Apostle, the possessed Word Bearer Burias licks a Dark Eldar needle bullet to find out what the poison does. He gets sick for a few moments, and then he's fine. Granted, his physiology was boosted by the Warp, but I'm not sure if that would mean you get any further protection from disease on top of being a Space Marine, what with Nurgle and everything.
>>
>>46432056
It's kinda contradictory. There's fluff where DEldar poison is perfectly effective against space marines, and it is in crunch, but yeah. Sometimes Space Marines become basically indestructible.
>>
>>46432056
that's reasonable for chaos because they're so off the deep end they do whatever the fuck they want and it really doesn't even matter if they die

but the way xenos are often portrayed (with contradictions everywhere) is that they tend to be poorly understood. so sure, space marines are immune to most things *as far as they know*, but when you're in a galaxy full of mysterious creatures who want to skullfuck you to death and often succeed, you don't really know much. it's pretty stupid to assume "I'm superhuman, nobody can poison me" and then grab a dark eldar crystal shot and die from mere contact because that shot happened to be infused with turbo poison made by a great eldar chemist who can kill a whole planet with one drop of his secret brew
>>
>>46432085
I guess it could be that they can enhance their immmune systems through willpower? Like, if before they lick the bullets they really concentrate on not getting sick, they'll be fine, but it's hard to keep up that level of concentration in the battlefield.
>>
>>46432098
You don't seem to understand. ALL space marines are off the deep end to a degree. They've been brainwashed and put through extensive hypnotherapy to view themselves as inhuman demigods of war, the Emperor's angels of death. Even the more reasonable marines like Ventris view themselves as inhuman, and so would naturally think "The fact that this can kill a human is irrelevant."
>>
>>46432121
I mean marines are essentially not human.
>>
>>46432121
Dark Eldar move around Suns like lightbulbs and one of them invented a disease that made all the humans on a planet look like him.

I'm sure they can, and do, pretty easily make poison that can kill Space Marines.
>>
>>46432121

from Nightbringer

>bro don't worry I got this I'm a space marine
>*half of squad in power armor somehow dies to autogun fire from traitor planetary guard

it was pretty stupid how weak power armor is in that book, something like 15 space marines are killed by mooks over the course of the story. that's 1.5% of the entire chapter, which is insane. space marine deaths should be a big deal, and they shouldn't be dying to small arms
>>
>>46432104
The thing is, most DEldar and even human toxins aren't biological in nature. An inorganic poison or acid doesn't give a fuck about how good your immune system is if it shreds DNA on contact or something ridiculous like that. Your blood cells might destroy any natural parasite or cancer, but if your pour acid on them it melts like any other tissue.
>>
>>46432142
Probably, but unless they're specifically expecting to meet marines they probably wouldn't bring it with them. And if they then do meet marines, they're probably too crazy and arrogant to think "Fuck lads, gotta pop back into the webway quickly, need to pick up the Bat Anti-Astarte Spray."
>>46432166
Not in 40k. Because Space Marines are really really dumb.

Eating brains to absorb memories. Always remember that.
>>
>>46432179
Again, that's not really the case in the crunch and even most fluff. Eldar Splinter rifles put down Astartes just like anyone else in 85%+ of all encounters. Not to mention you have yet more exotic stuff like Hexrifles that are filled with a virus that literally turns people into glass. Dark Eldar toxins and diseases are not to be fucked with, and can even kill shit like Tyranids.

Ventris farting around with the splinter and the Word Bearer seem like outliers and the things to be disregarded, not the codex fluff.
>>
>>46432179
It doesn't have to be the brain.
>>
>>46431505
Cow's are ineffecient as FUCK.
>>
>>46432229
This makes it less dumb?
>>
>>46431465
>How is that the Imperium decided all of mankind should subsist on Grox, a xeno meat?

You saying that the truly pure would only eat their own?
>>
>>46431707
Groxos.
>>
>>46431664
I think in the ye olde 80s/early 90s fluff there was some passing mention about them being possibly native to Catachan.

And if they can survive there they can survive almost anywhere.
>>
>>46431574
When humanity first tamed the stars they made hundreds of new Earths and Earth variations.

We took it all with us.
>>
>>46431465
"Xeno" as a derogatory term only applies to sentient races, animals are just animals, and the Grox evidently functions better as a space-cow than earth cows.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.