[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Aztec Empire didn't fall. Instead it used trade and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 420x336) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 420x336
The Aztec Empire didn't fall. Instead it used trade and war to reach the technological level of Europe, and ultimately became the dominant superpower in the nuclear age. Nuclear bombs were used to sacrifice millions at a time to the Aztec gods, ultimately destroying Earth for human use. Fortunately hyperspace was discovered. How does the Aztec Empire expand into space and deal with alien empires, and how does it religion evolve? How does a social structure based on advancement by capturing your enemies alive work in space combat?
>>
>>46429549
The rise of the Aztec empire an dater galatic civilization causes Khorne to rip from the newly made eye of terror, and the return of Moctezuma to be a Daemon prince.
>>
>>46429549
Nuclear weapons dont make your tributes, your gods feed on blood, not ashes and cancer.
>>
>>46429549
>How does the Aztec Empire expand into space
They don't, realistically speaking. After using nukes on the scale, MAD (because other countries *will* have nukes, no matter how badly you want to deny it) would have destroyed any human civilization.
>>
>>46429549
Let's break this down bit by bit.

>Instead it used trade and war to reach the technological level of Europe, and ultimately became the dominant superpower in the nuclear age.

That right there is what kills this for me. If I were at the table for this game, you would get a neverending stream of "how the fuck did that happen?" No seriously this alt-universe earth would have to be considerably different. You may wish to account for this if you're using this to plan for a tabletop game. By the time the Spanish showed up they were getting into that whole 'bronze' thing. You're glossing over a pretty major gap.

>How does the Aztec Empire expand into space and deal with alien empires

Probably the same way they dealt with their neighbors. And they'd probably go the 40k route and have sanctified sacrifice ships that look like giant temples with engines bolted on. And it would be pretty goddamn awesome.

>how does it religion evolve

I'd expect dogmatic disputes on how much nonhuman sacrifices count for with their gods.

>How does a social structure based on advancement by capturing your enemies alive work in space combat?

It doesn't, for the purposes of a lot of traditional mil scifi. They'd need to take planets. Or spend a lot of time after each battle picking up both sides' survivors to get the appropriate sacrifices. I imagine they'd try to develop some sort of boarding technology.
>>
The Aztecs went to great lengths to get there human sacrifices, fought wars to get the strongest warriors for their gods.
But the most important part was, that they captured them and brought them back to the temple/piramide.
You can't just nuke a city and call it a sacrifice to the gods, you need to bring them back to your holy place.
>>
>>46429549
Sid Meier pls go
>>
File: image.jpg (109 KB, 631x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109 KB, 631x300
All without inventing the wheel
>>
>>46430100
>MAD
The only thing I know MAD to be an abbreviation for is Melee Attack Damage. Could you fill me in on what you're using it as shorthand for?
>>
>>46434725
mutually assured destruction
>>
>>46434746
Ah, makes sense.
>>
>>46429549
>The Aztec Empire didn't fall.
Good fucking luck with that. Internal divisions and plague from the new world WILL fuck it up.

>Instead it used trade and war to reach the technological level of Europe,
They didn't have fucking Iron, the wheel, or any serious experience with ships. How in the fuck are they going to get to the tech level of Europe without Europe shooting ahead even more?

>and ultimately became the dominant superpower in the nuclear age.
Hell no.

>Nuclear bombs were used to sacrifice millions at a time to the Aztec gods, ultimately destroying Earth for human use.
Blood, not deaths. Not to mention religions don't tend to stay the same over several hundred years, and if they're doing the "take tech from the outsiders" thing they are probably going to be HUGELY influenced by outside culture (which is probably going to kill that whole "human sacrifice" thing)

>Fortunately hyperspace was discovered. How does the Aztec Empire expand into space and deal with alien empires, and how does it religion evolve? How does a social structure based on advancement by capturing your enemies alive work in space combat?
It doesn't, it doesn't, and it doesn't because they're dead and your premise is retarded.
>>
>>46429549

>Instead it used trade and war to reach the technological level of Europe

The only way to make this happen is to rewrite history even further. Make it so there was a strong ocean current or winds that made it possible for classical period ships to make it to the Americas in the same way the Greeks and Romans were able to get to India (by using seasonal winds). the reason the Americas were so much futher behind is because their relative isolation. The most advanced societies had the most interaction with other cultures and people. These were nations/empires along the silk road or the Mediterranean.

So say ocean currents were able to let people reach central America significantly more early, and this would be possible. Even then, that means the Aztecs might not have even existed. Some other tribe or city would have become dominate.

>used to sacrifice millions at a time to the Aztec gods

If the Aztecs made it to an age of scholarly pursuits, those facts would've triggered a revolution at some point, ending their religion. Their religion would not have survived into the Middle Ages if they were able to trade with the East, let alone the modern age. They would've either formed their own monotheistic religion, or picked up one of the other major ones (Buddhism, Taoism, Islam, or Christianity).

basically, rewriting history is complex and impossible. The Aztecs would not be recognizable by the time they reached space, and your idea of "Aztecs in space" can't be rationalized, you gotta use magic or time travel or some other plot device.
>>
I miss when /tg/ didn't get tripped up at the very first "that's not realistic!"
>>
>>46435339
This idea is shit, not just not realistic.
>>
Well this thread is FUN
>>
>>46435339

if you don't care about realism, just make it that aliens so evolved came to the aztecs as gods, kept them around as long as they gave the aliens sacrifices (aka fed), and kept the Aztecs retarded religion around even as science came around.

Or make them secular but with Aztec culture.
>>
>>46435339
>>46435412
>OP posts shit concept
>People point out it's shit
>"wah, why don't you like my shitty idea, I miss the old days, stop being nofunallowed!"
>>
No way Aztecs would advance into space age without losing their bloodthirsty superstitions.
>>
>>46429549
>diseased stone age chucklefucks with no pack animals did all that
You'd have better luck convincing the pope to convert, tbqh.
>>
>>46435643
Why not? Islam managed to survive up to this point and is showing no signs of slowing down.
>>
>>46436035
They are not in space age.
>>
>>46436035
A better joke would have been about Catholics who believe they are literally drinking blood and eating flesh every week.
>>
>>46429549
since everyone here's being a bit too realistic for this premise, you probably need to flip it a bit

like, the aztecs advanced more rapidly, but in addition, europe got fucked over massively by something, and as a result backslid a fuckton, giving the aztecs more time to advance
>>
>>46436804
No no no, thats the wrong approach. The right approach to this is that humanity realizes the Aztec gods are the real deal and sacrifices begin anew, of course this forces mankind into space to look for more sacrifices to sate their thirsting gods.
>>
>>46438038
so our goal here isn't "aztecs win the game of risk" but just "aztecs in space", gotcha

wait are the aztec gods real in this hypothetical situation, or does everyone just THINK they're real?
>>
File: pacal the great.jpg (92 KB, 1000x561) Image search: [Google]
pacal the great.jpg
92 KB, 1000x561
Aztecs a shit, Mayan master race.
>>
>>46436130
But they don't. Its a simple, symbolic reenactment.
>>
>>46439634
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transubstantiation

It's weird, considering it's usually Protestants who go full retard.
>>
>>46436035
Anon, every civilization on earth has stupid-ass religious beliefs, including those that have reached the Space Age.

The sole exception is Europe's growing atheist population. But I do not believe they are the majority in any nation (please correct me if I am wrong).

Also please note that recent Islam is a poor indicator for that of the past. The Caliphates persevered Greek and Roman knowledge in many fields during the dark ages, and treated non-muslims under their rule typically much better than Catholics treated heretics and heathens. They're like any other civilization in that they have relatively violent and peaceful eras as time goes on.
>>
>>46429549
yeah I played Civ V to
>>
>>46439921
You could try actually reading and understanding it, but that might be hard for your 15-year-old "Wah mommy made me go to church" mind.

atheism isn't bad, being an idiot and not trying to understand is
>>
>>46429549
Sounds like a fun Stellaris game.
>>
>>46434725
I see you were born after 1990.
>>
File: Tlaloc_Coll_Goupil.jpg (777 KB, 730x1189) Image search: [Google]
Tlaloc_Coll_Goupil.jpg
777 KB, 730x1189
>>46438088
Dude, they are. It's why emo kids are suicidal and cutting themselves.
here's their animal calendar.
http://www.losnahuales.org/
>>
>>46439987
From that wiki link,

>anyone who:
>"denieth, that, in the sacrament of the most holy Eucharist, are contained truly, really, and substantially, the body and blood together with the soul and divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ, and consequently the whole Christ; but saith that He is only therein as in a sign, or in figure, or virtue" and anyone who "saith, that, in the sacred and holy sacrament of the Eucharist, the substance of the bread and wine remains conjointly with the body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ, and denieth that wonderful and singular conversion of the whole substance of the bread into the Body, and of the whole substance of the wine into the Blood - the species only of the bread and wine remaining - which conversion indeed the Catholic Church most aptly calls Transubstantiation, let him be anathema."[20]

Did YOU try actually reading it?
>>
>>46431857

>That right there is what kills this for me. If I were at the table for this game, you would get a neverending stream of "how the fuck did that happen?" No seriously this alt-universe earth would have to be considerably different. You may wish to account for this if you're using this to plan for a tabletop game. By the time the Spanish showed up they were getting into that whole 'bronze' thing. You're glossing over a pretty major gap.

Okay, so disregarding the fact that the whole idea is kind of shitty, we can start with the Little Ice Age, which IIRC, archaeology points to it fucking over the Americas much harder than the Europeans. So in this alt history whatever, the Little Ice Age doesn't screw over the people living in North America so damn hard - perhaps even less than the Europeans. Then we can go on to say that the Viking incursions across the Atlantic were much more successful, and with it brought the concepts of metallurgy to North America early.

At this point, you'd have the introduction of metallurgy, and maybe larger populations that may or may not create permanent settlements that would produce the same conditions to allow more virulent diseases to spread (and thus giving the natives some likely defense against the diseases brought over by explorers years later).

After that, I don't know - conditions have changed significantly to the point that getting to "Aztecs in space" would require reimagining like three or more centuries and several wars, since the USA may not exist to dick around in European affairs during the 20th century.
>>
File: 1421788498264.jpg (26 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
1421788498264.jpg
26 KB, 400x462
>>46429549
Well considering that the Aztec 'Empire' was actually just a collection of city-states none of this happens and OP needs to learn how to wikipedia things.
>>
File: extraheresy.png (65 KB, 302x357) Image search: [Google]
extraheresy.png
65 KB, 302x357
>>46439634
A lot of Christians died refusing to deny the divinity of Jesus the way that you just did for nothing.
>>
>>46442181
It's a polite fiction.
>>
>>46434587
Feels like MOO2
>>
I would believe this from the mayans, they died because they had to experience the worst dry in the thousands of years on Yucatan, besides the Aztecs were asking for it, like all the slaves despise them and they preferred to serve Spanish.
>>
>>46429549
So it's Atomik Aztek.

Good book. Would recommend.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.