[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>But your character wouldn't do that!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7
>But your character wouldn't do that!
>>
File: 1457998386071.png (18 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1457998386071.png
18 KB, 256x256
>>46418199
I really like this spicy new stock photo knight meme.
>>
>"If you kill me, you're as bad as me!"
>>
Calling it now, this is going to become the new "Excuse me Commissar" meme that everyone will get sick of
>>
>>46418671
>Calling it now, this is going to become the new "Excuse me Commissar" meme that everyone will get sick of

Followed by a spike in waffle sales
>>
File: frog AHHHHH RAGE INFERNO_1.jpg (78 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
frog AHHHHH RAGE INFERNO_1.jpg
78 KB, 500x500
>>46418199

>"But my character wouldn't do [that helpful thing that helps the party survive]!"
>>
>>46418768
>Be evil character
>Rest of the party is good and has always shit on your ideas

Context is needed. I've let other memebers of the party die before plenty of times because my character isn't Anon caring about John Doe, my life-long friend and his character, but Duckbutt in the middle of a fight seeing an opportunity to see the thorn(s) in his foot fall to their death(s).
>>
>>46418858
That Guy detected.
>>
>>46418671
There's no formula or structure to them and the topics are geniune. They're just using dank images.
>>
>>46418897
If you want to play WoW then go ahead and play WoW, but if you self-insert into your character and do things that are completely contradictory to your actions to that point then why not just name your character the same as you and do the same shit you would do?
>>
>>46418897
For real dog it's not a video game, it's collaborative storytelling. I would rather my buds act in character than "heals plz thank you". If I die I'm not gonna be booyblasted about it.
>>
>>46418858
>letting your players mix good and evil alignments
This never works. Either the evil character never does anything evil thus defeating the point, or he does evil shit and the party slaps his shit while the player whines about "just acting in character."

Mixed good and neutral or all-evil with a reason not to betray each other are the only ways to play.
>>
>>46418858
>>Be evil character
>>Rest of the party is good
It's still your fault.
>>
>>46418961
it's lelf, then.
>>
>the evil party member saves my (the good alignment guy) life early on
>I let my friends die without interfering later on
I mean there were reasons but I've been a part-time That Guy in that campaign for sure.
>>
Why do I keep seeing this knight eating ice cream waffles?
>>
>>46418991
>>46419095
Yeah, both of you are cunts.
>>
>>46420062

someone's trying to force a dank ebn mememem senpai XD
>>
>>46420425
They'll need to buy the stock images and apply shoops for it to take off desu senpai.
>>
>>46420062
>>46420425
I like them, but only if they're new ones I haven't seen yet.
They cheer me up a little.
>>
File: [Forced Elf Intensifies].gif (1021 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
[Forced Elf Intensifies].gif
1021 KB, 400x400
>>
>>46418858
>rolling an evil character when the rest of the party is good

crush your dice and burn your character sheets you autist.
>>
>>46420425
Is it just lolol a knight eating icecream on waffles with a maiden SOOO RANDUMB! XDDDD or is there an actual joke or reference behind it?
>>
>>46418858
>memebers.
Doge, Pepe and Keen are now your party. Welcome to your new Adventure Timebler quest.
>>
>>46421001
The joke is that they exist.
>>
>>46418897

What these guys (>>46418991 >>46419075) said.

It literally burns a fucking hole in my heart when 90% of /tg/ goes "B-BUT HE'S BEING A DAT GUYY!" when, not even to be an edgy prick, someone does something their character WOULD, realistically, do.

DnD isn't really a game, so much as it is creating a story with your friends. THAT'S the appeal of an RPG; creating a goddamn story, not grinding your way through 12 levels of kobolds and bullshit to finally reaching immortality or some generic, good-ending dickery.

Like, oh, wow, because The Avengers are all obviously flawless, and they all obviously worked well together the first time they met.

You dense motherfucker, the entire plot of the first movie was that they're learning to work together, even though they're so different, and that's where the charm of their origin story comes from.

Or if you look at Reservoir Dogs, the drama came from the fact that one of them was a cop.

I'm not saying that there should be a contradictory bad guy in EVERY group, but it's totally alright to be one, and if the DM can't accommodate for that by either creating a convincing motive for the evil character (like gold or love), or by somehow forcing the group to band together against a common enemy, then he's just a LAZY fucking DM who'd rather jack off all over his PERFECT DYNAMICZ than creating an actual story.

And I'm saying this as a lifetime DM. All you lazy DM fucks know EXACTLY what I'm talking about, where you COULD have made it work, but you decided it was far easier to just blame all your problems on some imaginary DAT GUYY!, because you lot are all self-defeating betas who don't put in work, wasting everyone else's time and REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>46421001
See >>46421269
Please enlighten me on when exactly will we ever need a stock image of a knight eating a waffle.
Stock images are public domain, and are intended for quick and easy references in power points and the like.
>>
>>46421269
The only joke with that is that he's dressed in chainmail, eating icecream and waffles, with a fairly attractive woman who's apparently down with LARP.... and I'm not. The joke's on me anon, the joke's on me.

Mind you, I don't think I've seen an image where they have actually taken a bite from it yet. I wonder if they ever did eat that waffle, or if it went beyond that critical point where the waffle turned into a disgusting icecream-waffle spongy slush?

This is going to bug me all night. I'm THAT kind of drunk right now.
>>
>>46418199
Outside of extreme cases where someone is trying to sabotage the game, and you have worse problems in that case, I think it's very rarely the case the GM is justified in making that call. They might be acting contrary to alignment or doing something unusual, but if it's affecting the player strongly enough to do that, chances are it may be affecting the character as much too.
>>
>>46421687
Oh wait, you mean the images exists, not the people in the image.
>>
>>46421704
The DM can tell the guy after the session when handing out the XP for roleplaying.
>>
>>46421594
Kind of have to agree to an extent. Many of those loner characters want you, the dm, to give them a reason to join the party and go through character development.
>>
>>46420425
>dank ebn mememem senpai XD
who are you even making fun of?
im genuinely curious. like 4chan i guess?
are we makng fun of ourselves?
>>
>>46421667
Stock images are not public domain.
>>
File: 1454477439654.jpg (89 KB, 625x470) Image search: [Google]
1454477439654.jpg
89 KB, 625x470
>>46418199
So my buddy, who's a pretty great roleplayer, but with some weaknesses, rolls up a NG Half-Orc Barbarian, Major Graag Lokari Flexbane, usually called "Major Flexbane" or simply "The Major." He has a ridiculous Southern accent and is a constant inspiration to the party. On his turn in combat, while raging, he plays Armstrong's theme from Full Metal Alchemist. He has principles, respects strength but not over helping friends and allies, and generally does what's right.

Until he doesn't.

We heard about a mysterious, crying woman in the hills and went to investigate, but along the way encountered a demon hunter knight guy armed with a demon-possessed sword (think the things from Wakfu). It's a sword but can shapeshift into whatever the wielder desires, and grants crazy bonuses, but demands Will/Wisdom saves. So The Major is all over that stuff, because his player's weakness is his desire to be the best at fight. He goes in for a Will save to see if he can handle the thing, and fails. Then he rerolls and gets like a 19 on the die. Manages to convince the DM to give him another go and rolls something like a 5. It's not happening, man. But he won't let it go!

We found the woman and she was a Rokurokubi and stuff. Whatever. When everyone was camping The Major went after that demon hunter, because dammit, he wanted a better weapon! His weapon was nice, and in a raging surprise attack he did a lot of damage to the demon hunter...causing him to fully give in to the demon's powers, becoming possessed. It was fairly one-sided, and at death's door the Major broke down and begged for his life (player really liked his character!) The demon-man was not moved, and that was the end of him.

A dozen sessions of character building, inspirational words and heroic actions, and it all went out the window for a magic weapon. He went against what his character would do.
>>
>>46419095
>Either the evil character never does anything evil thus defeating the point, or he does evil shit and the party slaps his shit while the player whines about "just acting in character."
The only way this could possibly be a valid dichotomy is if you define "good" and "evil" in strictly party-centric terms. There's all SORTS of underhanded and evil shit you can do to other evil characters, or neutrals your party doesn't like, or even good characters with a sufficiently opposed view to the party's of what constitutes good for your party to look the other way.
>>
>>46421594
look m8, roleplay is roleplay, but D&D or equivalent tabletop is sitting down with some m8s and having fun
so try and pick a character that can mesh with that.
Shit, if you want to go that way, when you roll up broody mcloner the Chaotic Neutral dickass thief, why shouldn't the good party just ditch you for someone more reliable and copacetic. That's what their characters would do, innit? You better roll up a new one and hope he can stick with the party.
>>
>>46419095
Worked with my group.
I was an evil Drow who wished she could go back to the Underdark in a party of good aligned characters.
They needed something done that was less then legal, they'd ask her to do it.
Meanwhile she never once tried to dick them over as she'd have to resort to stuff like petty theft just to stay alive.
And later on when she was given the chance to stab them in the back and go home, she decided to remain on the surface with the party because they wouldn't just try to stab her in the back later on.

It's not hard to play a non-dick evil character. It just requires the smallest amount of fore-thought.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.