[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Arcanik
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Arcanik_img.jpg (49 KB, 394x147) Image search: [Google]
Arcanik_img.jpg
49 KB, 394x147
Hey, fa/tg/uys. I'm Hawk.

I've been working on an rpg system for a long time, and so far the reception has been pretty good from my playtesters. I've already asked Reddit what they think, and most of them like it and have given some pretty good advice for how to make it even better. So, I figured I'd stop by here and see what you guys think. :)

https://sites.google.com/site/arcanikrpg/

Not all of it is done, but /tg/ is where I've learned of dozens of other systems, playstyles, and is also where I first found some of the crazy stories that helped make this game what it is. I feel it would be a great idea to ask you guys for some input and constructive criticism on the system, and see what you think!
>>
>>46409320
> Imagine a world... a city, dotted with hovering cars and bright lights from the buildings around them. A shimmering pinnacle of civilization. Throw some powerful wizards and mages into the mix, add cybernetics and robots, and top it all off with a few angels and demons, and you've got Arcanik!
It's shadowrun. I'll just play shadowrun.
>>
From the name I thought this was Arcanum in pnp form. I'm kinda sad it wasn't because that setting was awesome.
>>
>>46409364
Harsh, Lula. When you consider that Shadowrun is a really specific brand of cyber-fantasy (+orcs, -hovercars), and that plenty of other microgenres have dozens of competing RPG systems, and the rules to Shadowrun are a hot mess to begin with, it doesn't seem fair to dismiss OP's concept right at the elevator pitch.
>>
But that said, I'm still going to instantly dismiss it because:

>D20
>open-ended point buy
>>
>>46409535
I, for one, am willing to hear you out. Shadowrun doesn't own cyberfantasy, even if I prefer straight cyberpunk.
>>
>>46409320

If I wanted technomagicbullshit with zero RP I'd just play Night Wizards.
>>
>>46409320
Prepare for harsh anal treatment, mentioning Reddit and shilling yourself in the same breath. Still, /tg/ is a less monkey shit board usually, so let's see if we can't give you any constructive feedback before we inevitably Lynch you

Looking at your char gen rundown, it seems like this is the kind of system that will need lots of hard play testing by powergaming grognards so you can iron out what's overpowered, whats useless, and how hard/easy it is to break the system
Keep in mind every system can be broken.

Glancing at your races.. The first problem I see is furries, furries everywhere.
>>
OP Here.
>>46409364
Shadowrun is a bit grittier than Arcanik, though the overall setting is similar. Arcanik is built for fun, silly games over the super-serious cyberpunk that I've seen Shadowrun do. Granted, both systems could be used for the opposite: Shadowrun could be goofy and fun, and Arcanik could easily become a dark, grungy punk-fest. Arcanik's main difference from SR comes in its ruleset and upcoming fluff, especially the Ingenuity system, which encourages stupid plans that "shouldn't" work... but do anyway.
>>46409439
I'll have to check out Arcanum. What's it about?
>>46409562
Is something wrong with open-ended point buy?
>>46409636
Again, another system I'll have to check out.
BUT, as a counter-argument... right now, all that there really IS in Arcanik is rules. I definitely intend to create a world to role-play in, add special bonuses for those who want to role-play heavily for their characters, and expand on all the races. Again, all that there is for the moment are the core rules. Role-play comes after all the rules are set, tested, and done. :)
>>
>>46409661
Honestly, I would appreciate some powergamers swinging in to wreck the rules. It all needs playtesting, breaking, and fixing, followed by the same process again.

As for the furries part... Yep. Not gonna lie, felt it was more original than "elves/orcs/halflings," or other generic stuff. I plan on releasing other non-furry races, but that's after a full release.
>>
>>46409710
Arcanum is Fallout (1&2, not like those new ones) like computer game about industrialization of fantasy world with refreshingly Tolkienian (rather than D&D) elements and some of the best satire of Victorian era I've seen in any game. It also has worst combat system ever, but no one cares because the setting and dialogue is some of the best seen in computer games.

Be sure to read the manual. There's some really cool and innovative backstory on races and stuff.

Also, you can get it from GoG for like five bucks, so why wait.
>>
>>46409785
Huh.. that does sound pretty neat. Thank you! I'll check it out! :)
>>
>>46409710
>Is something wrong with open-ended point buy?
That is by far the lesser problem, really.
>>
>>46410305
It promotes min-maxing and general munchkinery.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.