[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, what are /tg/'s preferred fantasy/sci-fi series or books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: 1446670473905.jpg (124 KB, 600x801) Image search: [Google]
1446670473905.jpg
124 KB, 600x801
So, what are /tg/'s preferred fantasy/sci-fi series or books and why?

>Last read
Assassin's Apprentice--Robin Hobb

>Currently reading
Royal Assassin---Robin Hobb
Bridge of Birds---Barry Hughart

>Plan on reading next
The next Farseer book because god damn this is a great series

Thinking on getting back into the Prince of Nothing series
>>
>>46395747
Would you care to explain what's so great about The Farseer Trilogy? I got through the first two books and can't be bothered to read the third, because I found them to be the most boring, tedious and frustrating books I've ever read.
>>
>>46395853
I enjoy its character-driven focus rather than an emphasis on world-building as you find in some other series. Hobb's world is relatively "vanilla" and "classic", but it's well-executed and serves to facilitate the plot.

Fitz is a fairly well realized protagonist, as are those who surround him---Verity, Burrich, and Chade of course being the standouts. I'm about halfway through Royal Assassins and loving it.

They're also pretty well written; of course, far from the best writing I've ever read, and I have noticed Hobb uses "questing" as a verb a bit much for my tastes, but still, a pretty high caliber for fantasy writing and far better than Sanderson for sure.

I suppose if you don't connect with Fitz or really let yourself get involved with the characters they'll be tedious. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy them anon as I think they're really quite good.

What is your favorite series?
>>
>Shadow Ops by Myke Cole

Reads like american Gate but less retarded and with no haremshit.

In 2000s world gets acces to a magical land with result that some people start developing superpowers.
Obviously Murka sends an exploration team to get all their resources. Kebabistan proclaims that unlawful and starts hunting down fantasy!x-men and Japs finally live out their dream of having toku heroes protecting the tokyo from magical monsters.

Problem comes from fact that it is hard for people that just got their powers to control them so there is a military unit that goes around hunting superpowered assholes and protecting the murkan settlements in the other world from local clans that stole some aks and are know when they are not killing off each other attack humans.

All of this is action packed with surprisingly well developed characters and story that goes into interesting directions.
>>
>>46395747
>Bridge of Birds---Barry Hughart
Good choice.

Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake is awesome if you like claustrophobic mega-castles and fantastic character development. And rooting for the bad guy.
>>
>>46397229
God yes, I love Gormenghast.

I've only read Titus Groan and I've been telling myself to buy the second installment for forever now.

I don't remember too much but the scene where two characters are having a climactic fight in this giant hall and the girl who's between the two lovers commits suicide by jumping off a cliff or whatever has stuck in my mind as some of the most beautiful and atmospheric fantasy I've ever read,
>>
>>46395747
Dragon Cucks

It should be mandatory reading, but is unfortunately not available in German.
But the original book, which takes place thousands of years in the future, now has an English translation, title "The Elven".
That one was a fun ride.
>>
>>46395747
>Prince of Nothing
N N O N O N O P E
O O O N P O P O
P PP O E P E P
E E P E E P O N

I am still annoyed with how stupid edgy those novels are it is not just fun over the top edgy of 40k just coldsteel tier of edgy. Fuck i haven't facepalmed with any novel as hard as with that clusterfuck of edginess honorary mention goes to Wise Man's Fear but that is cheating i could've shaved myself with first book and cut my every finger with second one.
On the other hand Prince of Fools is better due to having non retarded deuteroganist and narrator that is copypaste of Ciaphas Cain which kinda makes story fun to follow.
>>
File: EmondsField.jpg (638 KB, 1565x1600) Image search: [Google]
EmondsField.jpg
638 KB, 1565x1600
Hyperion Cantos

Baroque Cycle

Culture series

Wheel of Time (you didn't ask for good, just preferred)
>>
File: 1432880793731.jpg (49 KB, 427x720) Image search: [Google]
1432880793731.jpg
49 KB, 427x720
>>46398578
>Hyperion
mynigga.jpg, just as long as you wipe Endymion from your mind

I've always wanted to get into Culture, any recs on where to start? Should I just dive into Consider Pheblas or start out with Player of Games or the Weapons book or whatever?
>>
>>46400148
Not a fan of the aesthetic ideal of Frank Lloyd Wright?

Culture is unconnected. It's all set on the fringes of The Culture, but there's no overlap. (There might be a little somewhere, but it is not a continuous narrative.)
>>
>>46395747
Pact, best Urban Fantasy I've read
>>
>>46398578
>Hyperion Cantos
My nigga
>>
File: 1451247889579.jpg (129 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
1451247889579.jpg
129 KB, 400x600
>>46398539
Really? I quite enjoyed the first book, I didn't think it was too edgy either. It's dark but I wouldn't call it edgy. Besides it's a apocalyptic world end Crusade with jedi Jesus
>>
>>46400951
Underage b& runs around raping and killing and it is a-ok because he had horrible childhood and was mind controlled ?
He reads ancient philosophers and outsmarts and outmanoeuvers older people ?
Ancient machines bow to his superior intellect ?

I might be exaggerating but this is how it read to me.
It read like Lawrence had a check list of "will that add shock value" and just ticked off boxes on it. At least in the First Law or Three-Body Problem that feel equally dark the darkness seems fitting due to themes of humans not being able to change or let go of past.
Obviously this just opinions and so on and so forth.
At there where no literal sex goddess involved in Prince of Thorns.

I do have to admit that setting seemed neat but there are much better works that did same things
>>
>>46401169
>at least there where
fix
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.