[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /tg/ think about the fairly recent growth of "Oldhammer'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 14
What does /tg/ think about the fairly recent growth of "Oldhammer' throwback 80s - 90s style gaming?

Just nostalgia purchases from oldfags?
>>
>>46373739
>Just nostalgia purchases from oldfags?
yes
>>
>>46373739
Could you elaborate on what games are throwbacks and what qualifies them as such?
>>
>>46373739
That, and a dissatisfaction with the current style of play? Seems to be what's driving the old-school D&D movement, so I could see it also happening with Warhammer.
>>
>>46373958

Not OP, but Kings of War seems to be a complete replacement for WH Fantasy. Doesn't hurt that Mantic has people on the team that used to do their thing with GW but left.

OP pic is old GW sculptors who are releasing models that are GW certified in fluff and commissioned by GW, but were never released and are still owned by the artists rather than GW, along with all new models in line with them.
>>
>>46373762
/thread
>>
>>46373739

when you take something away, people wonder where it went.

when there used to be several options but now there's just one, people wonder why.

when you put something in a box and then say "Nobody look in this box! It's all crap anyways and you definitely don't need to see it, no sir, nothing to see here, move along" then people will try to look, and speculate wildly about what might be.

when everything that's "New" is just a reboot of the same thing it was last time, then people start to get bored, and as OP will be the first to tell you, being bored is the number one reason to shitpost from your cell phone during school.

put down the phone, OP. maybe you'll finally learn how to do math.
>>
>>46374025
Kings of War is really modern games design though, it's nothing like old warhammer except in its permissiveness.
>>
File: 55421766.jpg (110 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
55421766.jpg
110 KB, 800x800
>>46374140
OP here: implying I'm not a NEET
>>
>>46374202
What makes a design modern or not?
>>
>>46374618
Trends mostly, games go through fashions of popular mechanics, but one of the major ones is a focus on quicker games through a reduction in stats to track (though this can backfire by leading to games overloading on special circumstance rules) and more back-and-forth interaction between players, particularly in turn systems.

To cover it more thoroughly would probably take a few thousand words and some weeks of research and referencing. But in short: you don't tend to see so much counting off hitboxes, referencing charts and large battles taking a whole weekend with systems of the past decade+
>>
>>46373762
I'm buying these models and I'm a newfag desu
>>
>>46374917
where to buy senpai ?
>>
>>46374892

Frankly I'd like to see more of this. Perhaps it's not simply nostalgia and is instead a symptom of the resurgence in tabletop gaming interest?

Players having fun in casual games begin to think about more in-depth systems, and begin to house rule or theory how a more complex system would work to simulate what they would like to see.

It could simply be a part of the cycle, generated not by the old gamers and nostalgia but by the young gamers and growing experience.
>>
File: 1438783801892.jpg (210 KB, 1701x2268) Image search: [Google]
1438783801892.jpg
210 KB, 1701x2268
>Just nostalgia purchases from oldfags?

Not at all, I'm only 24 and I see a lot more appeal in "Battle at the Farm"-type skirmish with classic, "characterful" sculpts; than I do in the current meta of "well I've got THREE plastic Riptides/Knights/Baneblades/Glottkin/Treemen/latest overdesigned turd!".

To me, a 40k game at small points should be 1 HQ, 2 Troops, then some Assault Marines or Devestators, maybe a Predator, or some Terminators, with stuff like Flyers and Titans coming out for big games only. Now they're shoehorned in 2000 point games, and it's like DLC for video games, with all these various Allies, Detachments, Datasheets and Formations and so on.

As well as my Oldhammer/Middlehammer stuff, games like Song of Blades and Heroes and Frostgrave, and miniatures like Reaper Bones, they kind of carry the torch for that mindset of "I like these models, for a reasonable amount I can create a memorable skirmish".

Not to mention that a lot of the older models actually come out looking pretty swell when painted with modern techniques.

>>46374997

Oldhammer Trading Community on Facebook, unless you want to pay extortionate eBay prices. There's a sculpting group too where you can buy "retro" stuff like >>46373739
>>
>>46375192
There's a lot in new games I like, there's a lot in old games too. I don't think it's a cycle though, given that a lot of 'new' systems are being written by the people who wrote the old systems.
>>
>>46375480

Also true. It's possible that with GW hemorrhaging and resurgent interest in tabletop, these designers are seeing the environment ripe for planting.
>>
>>46375622
The only thing that's surged in non-gw games (as compared to the fairly steady stream that's always there) though is an endless procession of skirmish games launching via Kickstarter.
>>
>>46375733

Some of those Kickstarters make splashes, but many don't hold up afterwards. Look up how much the Sedition Wars box is going for now, in many cases it's discounted up to half, or even a third of the original retail price.

There's a steady growth in other games, though. WarmaHordes grew up pretty steady, though I'm less familiar with PP, and Infinity took a 12 year slow-grow before they absolutely exploded a couple GenCons ago.

Kingdom Death might be the exception to this, but otherwise, you shouldn't take Kickstarter at face value since most of those will fail at retail even if they're successful at Kickstarter. Interest in nerd shit has been growing, and people are looking at other nerdy hobbies to indulge in, as are companies looking for shit to invest in. At least, that's the rationale for Halo's decision to release some tabletops with Spartan Games. Plus there's a permanence to physical product rather than regular game releases. At least, if you do it right.
>>
>>46375480
There is also evolution in trends. As certain game mechanics are used over and over again, flaws begin to stand out and newer games start to adapt. Its why IGOUGO has fallen out of style, peopke realize the issues with using that mechanic after years of playing games with it, so you're seeing more and more games moving away from it. Even Mantic, which still uses it in KoW have moved to alternating activations in Warpath.
>>
>>46375231
These specific sculpts are not actual old hammer, they are new sculpts based on the art an old artist who still owns all the art he did for gw.

They're doing a kickstarter soon under the name pantheon of chaos
>>
>>46375733
Any game shop owners around to comment? What does it take for a new game to gain enough traction so that people actually play it?
>>
>>46377458
Advertising, support and an attractive product that is not available all up-front. That is it needs expansion potential and lots of it.

Every single big selling game relies on attractive models more than great rules, has a lot of 'special' units, and has a lot of outside-the-table stuff to ponder in the way of force composition.
>>
>>46377709
This, a big part of success is having stuff to discuss on websites like this.

You need
1.low barrier to entry and bait to pull people over it, ie starting army cost preferably less than 100 dolleridoos and pretty minis.
2.variable cost, you want people to be able to go full plastic crack, buy a small library of campaign books, and 20 plushy space marines or just buy one small army
3.engagment, serviceable rules and good lore get people to stay a part of the community
>>
File: c894106marines.jpg (163 KB, 911x1299) Image search: [Google]
c894106marines.jpg
163 KB, 911x1299
>>46377350

You what mate? That is an old Terminator.
>>
>>46377709
>>46377869

I'm starting to see why Infinity's Operation:Icestorm box was so successful.
>>
>>46378527
>anon posts guy in op
>anon says hes buying them
>anon asks where to buy
>anon responds with information about Oldhammer Trading Community
>anon corrects him and says it's a new sculpt
>>
>>46373739
The Realm of Chaos blog that I originally saw this project on had one thing right, we have become far too negative as a fanbase. I mean don't get me wrong AoS is shit but if you have a bit of common sense 40K can be perfectly enjoyable.
>>
>>46379239
40k is perfectly enjoyable, AoS can be perfectly enjoyable, a good 70% of the fun comes from the social and hobby aspects, BUT they are still almost strictly worse rule sets than other existing ones.
>>
>>46373739
Validates me and my aulde figures again.

Also, Jesus Christ, everything past 3rd Ed. is steaming garbage.
>>
I want berserk and darksouls style minis desu
>>
>>46382076

>Nope
>>
File: AoT.jpg (428 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
AoT.jpg
428 KB, 1920x1080
>>46379239
>we're too negative as a fanbase

Take your head out of your ass and try again.

GW is a scummy little company that has publicly boasted of its retarded business decisions for decades. This is their right - but non-retards have rights too - and expressing disgust at gibbering chimps putting on airs while the very existence of my favourite hobby lies in the balance is one of them. tl;dr:

There aren't too many complaints; GW mgt just gives too many reasons to complain.
>>
File: Engineer1.jpg (41 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
Engineer1.jpg
41 KB, 500x600
>>46383742
He is right that the fanbase finds it very difficult to find much joy though.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of deserved hat but it dose seem to smother the joy at times
>>
>>46383742
>Take your head out of your ass and try again.

Way to prove his point.
>>
>>46383742
>Take your head out of your ass and try again.

Good job proving his point in your first sentence.

It almost seems like barely any of you actually enjoy tabletop and only stick around because you've sunk so much time and money into it. Negativity gets us nowhere.
>>
>>46379104
>anon claims that it isn't an old miniature but rather a miniature based on old concept art.
>anon refutes this by posting the old actual miniature, showing that it isn't old concept art, but a full reliased miniature
>anon critically fails his reading comprehension and tries to sound smart.
>>
>>46384055
Anon, the miniature being referred to in
>>46377350
is
>>46373739

>>46373739
>>46373762
>>46374917
>>46374997
>>46375231
>>46377350

>anon critically fails his reading comprehension but the other anon forgives him
>>
>>46377350
Im looking forward to some of the demon models
>>
>>46385087
Sea horse man is my favorite so far
>>
>>46385148
>Sell soul to Chaos gods for all eternity
>Get turned into a weak-ass sea horse
>>
>>46385882
To be clear, I like the model, it's just a funny thing to get mutated into
>>
>>46375192
Consolidating mechanics isn't dumbing down a game. Game depth is basically thr complexity of the decisions players make, not how much math they have to do to move some skeletons.
>>
>>46385882
If I remember my old school Fantasy and Realms of Chaos there isn't anything about that model to suggest it would be particularly weak. Maybe not "strong" compared to some of the "Holy shit how is he so jacked?" Chaos Warriors or Champions, but not really weak either.

Although I think the cosmetic "riding animal and demon" head changes also don't really necessarily give you a whole lot either, necessarily. They just look cool/force you to cut the head off your Warband member and put the required head from the mount/demon on instead.
>>
>>46385148
>>
>>46385087
Damn, that's a beautiful demon.
>>
I don't really care about old rules but I do love old looking sculpts where everything looks chunky and/or blobby and simple in it's design.
>>
File: Mono.jpg (150 KB, 543x754) Image search: [Google]
Mono.jpg
150 KB, 543x754
>>46385087

Holy shit I remember that nigga! Whats the name of the KS?
>>
File: Chaos22.jpg (122 KB, 807x1601) Image search: [Google]
Chaos22.jpg
122 KB, 807x1601
>>46389099
>>46385087

Nvm, I found it, This is gonna be good!
>>
File: 07.gif (1 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
07.gif
1 MB, 500x281
I like it
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.