[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what's the system like? I've hear rumours that it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: Fatal_cover.jpg (150 KB, 616x796) Image search: [Google]
Fatal_cover.jpg
150 KB, 616x796
So what's the system like? I've hear rumours that it's a little clunky in places and intra-party relationships are hard to pull off.

Anyone played a session? Thinking of running it for giggles.
>>
https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/14/14567.phtml

I hope you like reading
>>
will post about it
>>
>>46370470
It's stupidly complicated to the point of the novelty being worn off the moment you actually start playing
>>
>>46370528
I've tried reading this so many times. By the writing and style is just atrocious and I can't finish it. It's almost as bad as actually reading the book.
>>
>>46370624

>HISTORY:
Some guys only knew and played ad&d, they liked to play evil guys on their sessions. And heavily houserules their game to fit on their ideas.
Third edition of d&d is released, and instead of trying to learn this new system and then houseruling it, they decide to write their own own.

Their idea about what their system would be is to be able to work with their playstyle, be realistic (mythically, scientifically and historically realistic), be "hard fun" (imagine df to know what hard fun means) and make everyone have the same chance in game.

The guy with an picture on the cover did almost everything and after some amount of time he moved to another town and continued to work on it, then after he stopped to care about the game, he moved again to another town.
One of the original developers, still tries to find people to play it (and sometimes he find it) and would love to find the main developer to get permission to continue developing the game.

>BACK TO THE GAME:
Anyway the book is a mess, right from the start before even reading it, this because the developers dont know what they want.
They said they wanted the game to be realistic (myths, science and history), but at the same time wants to have a game that is hard fun, this creates some problem, because while life is hard on some aspects it isn't be so hard on other aspects, specially on a fantasy setting.
Another problem is that he want every played to have the same chance, this is the reason behind all those random tables, this also clash with their first idea of what the game should be (realistic), because of this "every player must have the same chance" bullshit, you have unrealistic stuff like:
random haircut for adults
random religion for adults
random job for adults
and some other stuff........

more next
>>
>>46370756
Well the character is made mostly with random tables, while this would be realistic on some cases (you didnt decided to be a human, or a male, you were born this way, you dont decide who your father is.....)

The tables were made in a way that while based on real world statistics, after you really think about it, they become unrealistic, I will explain.

Imagine a game where you select the country you were born and also your religion at random.
Anyway, the first table is the country one, its based on world data and so you will be most likely to be born on china.
The second one is based on world data too and you are most likely to be an christian.
After rolling those 2 tables, you will have an high chance of being an chinese christian guy and few chinese guys are christian.

This kind of stuff create problems, when generating your character.

Another problem with character generation is the fact you have random job selection for adults and random stats. Jobs have stat requeriments, so you may end with a job you wont have the stats necessary to select this job. What you do in this case?

more next
>>
>>46370904
As you problably saw somewhere, the book is huge one and you will problably need to read everything.

Yes everything, because the book have sections about, magic, profession, races, but the information needed to create your own character is spread between those sections, on most rpgs you have the text that explain how you create your own char, and then rules explaining how the stats works, how the world is, how combat works.....
On fatal rpg you have a table where you roll your status at random (slave, king.......) at an chapter that talks about this kind of stuff and you must read everything because you will never know when you will find some table you will need to roll.

The system, specially the tables, has a bunch of stupid rules and rules based on cliche racist jokes.
There is an table to see how slut you are, and on this table, girl with big boobs get an positive modifier.
Other stupid rules are based on relation means causation, as some example if you are mentally retarded, you will receive a bonus to strenght, this based on the stupid idea "if many guys on reality are mentally retarded and strong the game must have a bonus".

more maybe later
>>
>>46370470
Don't expect it to go far, we are not joking when we say it's an uplayable mess.
Do what my campus group did, make two characters together and have them fight each other in an arena with Caligula residing. It won't get better than that due to the sheer amount of math and arbitrary rolls you'll need to do.
>>
>>46370470
>a little clunky in places

Chargen by hand is almost impossible - I tried more than once by myself because I wanted to do a review too but when you get to the point of having to cross-reference randomly rolled areola size against three other stats you give up.
There is a chargen software that is very punishing (although I suspect that making playable characters is not a goal of the game).
It's garbage even without looking at the retarded turborape fluff.
>>
>>46371146
The magic system doenst exactlly follow their own rules.
There are 2 types of magic, chaos magic, and cerimonial magic.

Cerimonial magic are just spells he found on real life myth books.
Each spell basically have some verbal, somatic or ritual component to be cast.

Then there is chaos magic.
The guy really wanted to create his own spells, so he had the idea, "how I will put my own spells on a mythically realistic magic system?", to do that, he created chaos magic.
Each spell is cast in a different way by different people (when casting a spell, you need roll at random what will be the requeriments needed to cast this specific spell by your character).
The idea is that we cant find those spells on real life books because writing about it is stupid, if someone read a book and do the exact same thing, he wont cast a chaos spell, since his requirements for this spell will be different.

There are 2 jobs that I forgot the name (one cast only chaos magic and other cast only cerimonial magic).

This show how the game doenst follow even his "mythical realism" idea, since he included a magic system that didnt existed on real life myths.

Another problem of him not following his own ideas is armor, mythical magic didnt had armor penalty, but he included it on the game to make it more balanced, not only this is against the idea of the game being mythic-ally realistic, but its against his "hard fun" idea of how the game should be, making the game easier to martials.

There are other unrealistic stuff out there on this rpg, one specific type of it is when he says some rule is realistic because people believed on it, at the time.
Its the equivalent of making the earth flat, and saying the game scientifically realistic, because the game is on medieval era and that is what people believed at the time.

One example is his alignment system that is outdated but he say its realistic, because at the same it was considered to be true.

more next
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.