[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cosplay and Costume thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 9
File: leather body.png (2 MB, 870x868) Image search: [Google]
leather body.png
2 MB, 870x868
I'm building a costume for the renaissance festival I go to multiple times every year. And I want you guys to give me some advice on what would go good with the pieces I post. Hopefully that's /tg/ related, haha. To keep it more traditional game oriented let's also say this is a LARP outfit thread.

My budget is about $650 dollars and I already have a suit of butted steel chainmail I got off amazon a few years ago. It's held up very well for how much I paid for it. Some rings loosen every now and then, it being butted and all, but I inspect it before and after each outing and close up any rings that have loosened. Riveted chainmail is just too expensive, even riveted aluminum sets, for my budget. The majority of my budget is going to the steel armor pieces and leather chest I'm looking at.

I'm going for a sort of "witch-hunter" or simple free-lancer type of look.

pic related is a chest piece I'm considering. My only gripe is that the neck might be too high to let a gorget fit comfortably.
>>
File: gorget.png (237 KB, 842x804) Image search: [Google]
gorget.png
237 KB, 842x804
here's the gorget in question. other pictures show it as being able to articulate slightly, and I will probably put a suede mantle on over the vest before donning the gorget anyway.
>>
File: spaulders.png (358 KB, 659x648) Image search: [Google]
spaulders.png
358 KB, 659x648
The spaulders that I plan to add to it. I'm open to suggestions for different spaulders. I selected these because they're affordable at $65, but I'd like opinions on ones that might look better. I'd really like a larger top pauldron with an added besagew that gives overall more coverage of the shoulder area.
>>
File: arm guards.png (581 KB, 805x844) Image search: [Google]
arm guards.png
581 KB, 805x844
The arm guards. They're simple, cheap, and functional. I plan to only wear one on what would be my swinging arm. The couter is a nice touch, and why I'd like a set of spaulders that add one to the armpit area for about the same price.
>>
Suede leather has got to be one of my favorite types of leather for mantles. Sadly, there isn't much suede stuff out there that is affordable. I really like this one. The hood isn't really needed, but this would go under the gorget for comfort.
>>
File: tabard.png (321 KB, 679x842) Image search: [Google]
tabard.png
321 KB, 679x842
This tabard is really nice. I haven't decided whether to use it for function and put it under my mail for added comfort, or to wear it overtop for looks. I have a thin gambeson for comfort already, but I've been looking to replace it due to the sleeve length being too short, allowing the male sleeves to touch my skin. Not comfortable in the cold.
>>
>>46365766
>>>/cgl/ has its own whole board, bro.
>>
>>46366323
>tabard
>use it for function and put it under my mail
that's not what tabards are for
>>
>>46365916
That gorget will never fit comfortably
>>
>>46365766
>rivted is too expensive

You realize you can get a hauberk for just around 500 USD, rivted, right?
>>
>>46365766
Go for a gambeson instead of that thing.
>>
>>46365766

As someone who put together a dark souls cosplay not too long ago, check Etsy. Its not the sort of place you would normally think of checking for armor, but there is a lot of stuff floating around there. Both metal and leather. Can take a long time to ship to you, though.

Don't forget to get a leather belt with a bunch of pockets and then give it plenty of flare. Drop 5 bucks on a 'prison key ring' prop and put that on your belt, maybe put a flickering LED in a lantern (or, in my case, an estus flask).
>>
>>46365766
>Buckles up on the front side
Forwhatpurpose.jpg
>>
>>46371111
to buckle up, I presume.
I mean, it's not like buckles on armours never existed.
Then again, leather armour like that is just fantasy bullshit, but still better than 90% of the fantasy leather armor
>>
>>46371136
I meant the position of buckles.
On the sides is where they should be since on the front they are leaving a nice opening to stab into.
>>
File: 1290803660170.jpg (133 KB, 377x570) Image search: [Google]
1290803660170.jpg
133 KB, 377x570
>>46371164
you must be a word famous fighter if that's what a "nice opening" looks like.
And while it's arguably not the optimal place, there are a lot of versions of brigandine and coat of plates which have buckles at the front
>>
>>46371219
this one is a reconstruction but from a very good team.

Also let's not forget that even some of the stand alone textile armour, like padded jacks and such had buckles and similar stuff at the front.
>>
File: 1298055487260.jpg (279 KB, 1000x1370) Image search: [Google]
1298055487260.jpg
279 KB, 1000x1370
>>46371253
ehh fuck, forgot pic.
>>
File: dscf3164.jpg (62 KB, 449x600) Image search: [Google]
dscf3164.jpg
62 KB, 449x600
>>46371275
and here is a padded jack, lacing or whatever the fuck it's called at the front again.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.