[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rules Lite/ Minimalism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: Tas Character Sheet.png (630 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Tas Character Sheet.png
630 KB, 640x480
Ability scores. Proficiencies. Descriptors. Dice. And whatever items your DM starts you off with.

Oh, and I guess a list of spells if your character is a girl.

Everything else is a pointless diversion from roleplaying, story-telling, and fun.

Pic related.
>>
>no book with information on your chosen birthplace
>no book with information on your chosen race
>no book with information on the names in your culture

>not a single page with information on all the abilities and special attacks your character has access to
>>
if you don't have 4 wildly different miniatures of your character how will the rest of your group even know you're faggot?
>>
File: GayCharacterSheet.gif (50 KB, 757x1092) Image search: [Google]
GayCharacterSheet.gif
50 KB, 757x1092
>>
>>46356377
B/X D&D is cool. But I'd love to see more rules-light systems for different settings or facilitating other types of play, without devolving into hand-wavy storygame bullshit.
>>
>>46356743
Just out of sheer, morbid curiosity:
What game is that from?
>>
>>46356377

Why is there a place for the racial modifier? That doesn't need to be on the sheet. What a waste of space!
>>
>>46356377
>>
>>46356377
>Ability scores
>Proficiencies
But you don't even need that, anon.

Hell, I'm pretty sure that I could run an OD&D game where the only thing the players know is their name, their class, mmmaaybe their level, their hit dice (+hit points), their carried items, and that they need to roll 1d20 to hit stuff.
And spells, I suppose. Maybe print 'em out on cards so the player can physically rid themselves of them when they use them.

That's not truly rules-light, though, since it's just pushing all the responsibility over to the DM. (Not that it stops me from wanting to run such a game.)

For a game that's REALLY rules-light, you don't even need any of that shit you listed - take We're All Going To Die, for instance, where the rules are so lite that it's literally just "here's four things you're good at, here's two you're bad at, here's your name, I have randomly determined that one of you will survive the session but you do not know who that is, have fun."

And you can go even lighter than that, of course, although at some point it just turns into freeform calvinball stuff.
>>
just in case you suddenly change race dumbass. and so the dm can see that you didn't just make up ability scores and used whatever method he advised for base scores (standard array, 69 points, point-buying, whatever). tl;dr - it fends off cheeseball "roll"-players
>>
>>46357940
I think you posted in the wrong thread.

I don't really see how racial bonuses and ability scores are relevant for a minimalist RPG.
>>
>>46358035
you take a system and setting that has things like different races. you calculate in racial bonuses. you put 'em on the sheet.

then you disregard the remaining 80% of the rules about travel speed across arid soil

then to you disregard bullshit nick-picky rules
>>
>>46358035
I assume anon meant to link to >>46357446
but somehow fucked it up.
>>
File: minimalist.jpg (33 KB, 548x411) Image search: [Google]
minimalist.jpg
33 KB, 548x411
as minimalist as it gets
>>
>>46358254
>chairs
>table
>painting
>daylight
>not squatting on a concrete floor in complete dark
do you even minimalism?
>>
File: 324134214643.jpg (74 KB, 570x427) Image search: [Google]
324134214643.jpg
74 KB, 570x427
>>46358301
this is me. i am a minimalist gamer
>>
The more rules a game has, the more reward system mastery provides. The less rules a game has, the more human interaction it requires.

/tg/ does systems, not people.
>>
>>46359589
People are a system.
>>
>>46359707
But an inconsistent system, or only managable at the nearest half-million.
>>
>>46356377
I can dig it. Reminds me of those old CYOA books.
>>
File: 1407892864726.jpg (54 KB, 600x535) Image search: [Google]
1407892864726.jpg
54 KB, 600x535
>>46356377

>Race: Kender
>>
>>46359589
I've done couple people back in the day.
>>
>>46360142
Not just any Kender. As the sheet says that is the one and only Tasslehoff Burrfoot (or one of the many Kender named after him.) The bravest and greatest of kender. He helped Raistlin save the world don't you know. He will tell you all about it.
>>
>>46356377
>Everything else is a pointless diversion from roleplaying, story-telling, and fun.
different people find different things fun
>>
>>46360985
Hitler found different things fun.
>>
Microlite20
>>
>>46361966
Actually no, Hitler's choice of fun was no different than that of average man. He liked company of pretty women, fine fashion, fast cars and had a bit of soft spot for animals and children.

It's what he considered his duty and the means he took to fulfill it that differentiated him.
>>
>>46356377
>Everything else is a pointless diversion from roleplaying, story-telling, and fun.
FATE has no abiity scores brah.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.