[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>been lurking on /tg/ for a while >mostly just play DnD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: feelsgriffithman.png (92 KB, 283x343) Image search: [Google]
feelsgriffithman.png
92 KB, 283x343
>been lurking on /tg/ for a while
>mostly just play DnD
>/tg/ gets me interested in 40k
>look up the prices of models
>have brain aneurysm
How the fuck can anyone afford playing 40k? Is there any cheaper way to start building an army?
>>
use army men
>>
>>46346275
Play Dawn of War. It's not perfect but modders do amazing things to the game.
>>
File: 450px-Cultistchan.jpg (49 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
450px-Cultistchan.jpg
49 KB, 450x600
>>46346275
Buy used ones. Get cheap chinese models.
Find someone who uses Vassal.
I just read about warhammer on imageboards and play related vidya.
>>
>>46346282

Soooo imperial guard?
>>
>>46346275
Go back to 2007 and buy all of your models then.
>>
>>46346275
Get a job, stop smoking, stop impulse buying every new gadget on installment plan.

Unless you live in a third world country you can now afford a full army every other month.
>>
>>46346389
I live in Canada our dollar is shit so the price is inflated
>>
>>46346420
Unless you live on the dole in 'stralia warhammer is affordable if you want it.

Pre-owned is also an option if you are on a budget. I mainly do it to rescue armies from abusive homes with pets children and enamel paints threatening their wellbeing.
>>
>>46346486
yeah i'm actually looking at that right now and the prices are way better I should have done that instead of making this thread
>>
>>46346275

Buy one box a month.
>>
>>46346526
Just take a good lookt at the models and consider if youll be able to pai t them properly if assembled.

Its not too bad with marines, guardsmen and tau, but orks, admech and nids are shits to paint if assembled, even worse if you have to strip them first.
>>
>>46346545
This. And actually finish painting something completely before buying the next thing.

Don't look at it as a steam purchase. Look at it as if you were getting into a new sport or started playing an instrument.
>>
>>46346657
So an initial down payment for shitty gear that's wortless once you know what you are doin.
>>
>>46346744

All things are like that. If you only want to buy once, do your research. Most people in most hobbies end up buying their basic purchases more than once.

Even for someone like me who does tons of research beforehand, I often end up having to buy a second time, but at least the initial purchase isn't wasted as it can be resold (40k models), can be kept and used (guitar and amp), and most importantly, was a valuable learning experience (painting the models).

If you play this game like the typical retard and buy a new army every 3 months because it's the most overpowered and only play with unpainted crap then of course this game is expensive.
>>
>>46346744
>>46346657
Or larger initial payment for something you may never make full use of and very likely will ruin with initial ineptitude.
>>
>>46346827

You can strip and repaint. I started with Forge World miniatures after practicing on 10-40 plastic versions. Turned out okay.

I'm thinking about paying a studio to build the FW tanks though. Fuck that noise.
>>
>>46346486
Even on student allowance which I think is a little lower than unemployment I can afford my little plastic mans.

It's just budgeting. Most people are really bad at that.

Learning how to strip paint and buying second hand is the best way to stretch your dollar.
>>
>>46346926
I know.
it's all those pizzas and monthy payments on tv and phones.

Monthly payments create permanent debt.
>>
>>46346776
Adding to research point of this guy.

Look at the solid core choices for your army and what direction you'd like to build in.
Buy your core HQ and troop choices and then add units that make sense. That way you can always play small games with other people as you build up your force.
Don't glue any heavy weapons till you know what you want, use blutac to hold it for games till then. Or better yet magnitise so you can use any weapon any time.

Also rock up to a gaming club. Any group worth it's salt should have a box of snap together dudes for practice/demo games.
>>
>>46346926

You shouldn't be buying constantly either. Once you buy your army you probably won't buy anything except a little here or there for the next year or longer until you get new models.

My army isn't even complete yet but I haven't bought anything new so I have like $600 saved up just to waste on whatever I want. I could buy a fucking titan if I wanted to, but my buy list only has like $300 on it. This means 40k actually SAVED me money because if I was currently maining my other hobbies like video games or car modifications, I would have used up all my money every month buying random shit like online only games, cash shop items, car parts, etc. Instead, I just save it up for when I'm ready to buy some 40k stuff.
>>
hi, i never played a game like this guys but seems fun as fuck. Got 1 question though, what about making your own models?
>>
>>46346275
I'm a jobless college student,
I now have a necron army that normally costs around $120, I spent $45 by going on Ebay, buying shitty prepaints, and stripping them at home.
Hamwarmer is in no way inaccessible unless you live in Ausland.
>>
File: Untitled1.jpg (192 KB, 1200x585) Image search: [Google]
Untitled1.jpg
192 KB, 1200x585
>>46346275
papercraft?
>>
>>46350046
Cool I didn't know those existed thanks anon.
>>
>>46348620

Yes, you are encouraged to make your own models, whether by combining different parts of official models, using other company's models, or simply building your own figures out of plasticard and sculpted green stuff.

The hobby is only 25-50% gaming. The majority of it should be how you enjoy painting, telling stories, and building your own unique army and heroes.
>>
>>46352355
nice, i really enjoy those things, specially sculping/drawing my own stuff and telling stories
>>
>>46346389
No. No you can't. Unless 40k is the only thing you ever do and don't have a family, friends, and live someone cheap and shitty.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.