[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Homebrewing a Tabletop System for MtG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6
As of Late I have been toying with the notion of designing an RPG for the Magic the Gathering setting, or settings rather. Currently its at the earliest bare bones stages, and all the numbers are rough estimates, but i Would appreciate some feedback on what I have down.

First you would pick a race, lets say for example you pick goblin, your choice of goblin will give you a preset line of stats, average strength, good endurance and dex, bad int and wisdom, great luck, something along those lines, (havent decided on what number scale im using)

Then you would pick a class, which would give you your skill and item proficiancies, so lets say our goblin is going to be a warrior, which gives him proficiency with all sorts of weapons, not so much armor, and some wilderness survival skills and the like

Finaly you would pick a color, and destribute your points. based on what options your race/class favor; Goblins are red all the way, and warriors are red or green, so our goblin warrior could be either red or green, feeling rebellious he decides hes green

Now lastly you would get 25 ish points to spend on your charicter, enhancing those base stats and skills, and buying new proficiancies and abilities. Since hes green, he would look over the green table to see whats avalible and how much things cost for green.

Leveling up would basicly cycle that last step, gaining a new "orb" of mana, and a new batch of points to further improve your charicter. Leveling would be staggered as well with colorless levels being rather cheap in XP but basicly being purely for stats, without access to any colored abilities, levels in his primary color being the standard cost, and levels bought from any secondary or tertiary colors to bring in versatility being bought at a premium
>>
>>46339606
Sorry to shit up your thread, OP, but this is a _terrible_ idea. MtG's fluff is garbage.
>>
>>46339805
This.

Neato burrito idea, but terrible choice when it comes to lore. I'd recommend sampling lore from another universe. Azeroth has a suprisingly full fluff if you're going for popularity amongst MtG crowd whilst still having a good story, as do other fantasy worlds both in games and in books.
>>
File: Imperious Perfect.jpg (2 MB, 2282x3303) Image search: [Google]
Imperious Perfect.jpg
2 MB, 2282x3303
>>46339606
The leveling is a cute idea but why would I play your homebrew instead of just grabbing GURPS?
>>
>>46339805
>>46339843
>plebs who have only read Jacetice League fluff
>implying WoW has a good story

wew lads
>>
>>46339805
>>46339843

I have never really followed the story much at all, and from what i can tell its pretty shit, but the setting beneath it was something that i always felt was really interesting, especially with the more distinct planes like mirrodin, ravanica and Lorwyn. I'm not saying they are the best written things in the world, I'm just saying they have a distinct flavor that i really enjoy.

>>46339866
Honestly, i back and fourthed on doing just that, What eventually pushed me to this was the idea that mana type and color should have a fair level of mechanical impact beyond the team fluff, and i have no idea how i would try to implement that into gurps.
>>
>>46339904
>implying a universe with 43 books written about it
>three strategy games WITH expansions
>six comics
>ten mangas
>five tabletop games
>two trading card games
>and a mmo that has lasted twelve years and is still going strong even with an outdated subscription system
>not to mention the hundreds of various references that permeate society because of it
>meanwhile MtG, a card game, has remained just that, a card game

wew indeed
>>
>>46340005
Well, it's important to remember that just because stuff exists in the card crunch doesn't necessarily translate into fluff. Wizards, Clerics, Druids, Shamen, etc know a lot about the nature of mana but the vast majority of people in any given setting don't.
>>
>>46340097
Quantity =/= quality

also magic has 20+ comic books and 50+ novels, and has defined the standard to which card games are designed
>>
File: chakra.jpg (327 KB, 1600x1028) Image search: [Google]
chakra.jpg
327 KB, 1600x1028
>>46340005
You know what?
Colored magic and base, colorless magic reminds me a lot of chakra.
You should seriously give that a look-see, it'd be interesting to write about an Earth where chakra became real, and suddenly humans were divided because of whichever chakra they emulate most.
Pic related
>>
Grab FATE Accelerated, replace the stats with the color wheel.

Make aspects equivalent to cards.
>>
>>46340169
meanwhile, one has a movie being made about it.

wew.
>>
>>46340097
MtG has had novels since the 90s, some of which were quite good.

WoW has a half-Orc/half-Elf/half-Dranei messiah who kills cosmic horrors and a Satan analogue who according to official lore did nothing wrong.

>is still going strong even with an outdated subscription system
Secret sub stats and Burning "BUY MY GAME PLEASE" Legion say otherwise.

>>46340169
Don't forget that it has close to half a dozen video games too.

>>46340211
Marvel Comics has had over a dozen movies made about their settings and characters. Ergo Marvel > WoW.
>>
>>46340211
i mean, Using those metrics you could probably prove that the mushroom kingdom is a level above even that.
>>
File: GURPS MtG.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GURPS MtG.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46340005

Have you seen the /tg/ mtg rpg?

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Magic:_the_Gathering_RPG

For GURPS, there're a couple of fanmade pdfs - though I'd rework it to use RPM.
>>
File: GURPS MtG - Styles.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GURPS MtG - Styles.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46340696
>>
File: GURPS MtG - Ravnica.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GURPS MtG - Ravnica.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46340750
>>
>>46339805
MtG's worldbuilding ranges from passable to great. It's plots are utter garbage. learn the difference.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.