[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been looking at Adeptus Evangelion v3, and it looks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: rei_eva_00_by_ry_spirit-d6gajam.jpg (110 KB, 600x849) Image search: [Google]
rei_eva_00_by_ry_spirit-d6gajam.jpg
110 KB, 600x849
I've been looking at Adeptus Evangelion v3, and it looks interesting. I've always been a big fan of the show, and an evangelion game would be a nice change of pace. But I am a bit wary because I see it is a homebrew.

Is Adeva any good? Mostly asking about v3 because I don't want to have to learn DH.

Also adeva general I guess.
>>
>>46328654
Just play it.
>>
Yeah, I don't know what BMJ was thinking using DH as the system. Its mechanics really don't reflect the Eva setting at all.
>>
AdEva tends to be janky, but it can be fun. Be prepared to be flexible as a GM and to have to smooth over rough edges.

Also, be clear about the sort of game you want to run. Evangelion is one of those things where a lot of people have extremely different expectations of what it Should be, so making sure your group is all on the same page is basically necessary.
>>
>>46328790

I want to know what I am getting into before I try to sell my group on learning a new system.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
>>46328825
But isn't this a hybrid of Evangelion and 40k, not straight-up Evangelion?
>>
>>46328940

No its straight up Evangelion, but with some headcanon to give you more options than just watt you see them use in the show.

You can use some weapons that are kind of 40kish. Like chainsaw weapons. But there isn't any 40k lore or anything.
>>
>>46328827

Good a place as any to ask, I see people use the term janky a lot on /tg/ but I don't actually know what it means. It means something like imperfect or unreliable, right?

Also, what kind of rough edges? Is the game going to flat out break on me if I try to color outside the lines?
>>
File: Eva 01 Type F.jpg (160 KB, 858x445) Image search: [Google]
Eva 01 Type F.jpg
160 KB, 858x445
>>46328993
>kind of 40kish.
>Like chainsaw weapons.
>Implying that isn't already Eva canon
>>
File: Eva Dual Saw.png (257 KB, 604x431) Image search: [Google]
Eva Dual Saw.png
257 KB, 604x431
>>46329123
It never appeared in the show or movies (yet, still one to go) but it's in one of the spin-offs.
>>
File: amazed.jpg (31 KB, 450x350) Image search: [Google]
amazed.jpg
31 KB, 450x350
>>46329123
>>46329154

I stand corrected
>>
>>46328654
I've wanted to try this out, but finding a game online seems impossible without having to resort to reddut.
>>
>>46330193

Does this have a strong reddit following? I thought it was all IRC and gamefinder threads
>>
>>46331231
No idea. I thought I remembered seeing a subreddit or whatever they're called for it when I plugged the name into google, which is the only reason I brought it up.
>>
File: no girls allowed.jpg (316 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
no girls allowed.jpg
316 KB, 1280x720
>>46328654
It's really not that good of a system. I've played it a couple times and the game always falls apart by session 2 or 3, even in good groups, because it's just such an unfun game to play. I wish there were more alternatives that did the Eva premise well. AdEva is a good attempt and it is "playable," but it's just executed so badly. The worst part is that there's no signal huge flaw that I can point out to you, it's just a million little things. For example, there are like 15 steps you have to take in order to calculate a single attack roll which really messes with the pacing of the game. Then there's the convoluted skill system which turns all pilots into bumbling retards who can only do one or two things with average proficiency while having 20% success rates on just about everything else (I think this is supposed to be a "feature" to make you feel like you're really an incompetent child, but that's still really antifun and the skill system is overcomplicated).

>>46330193
I've seen AdEva advertised on the /tg/ gamefinder threads pretty often (often for a homebrew at least). Might be worth a try recruiting from there.
>>
>>46332804
>I've seen AdEva advertised on the /tg/ gamefinder threads pretty often (often for a homebrew at least). Might be worth a try recruiting from there.
Well, two of the LFGs from last month were from me, so I figure I should look elsewhere.
>>
>>46332804
>(I think this is supposed to be a "feature" to make you feel like you're really an incompetent child, but that's still really antifun and the skill system is overcomplicated).
That is exactly what it is supposed to be.
For the longest while, you weren't supposed to be able to hit things either, because kids can't hit things, despite that just dragging fights out.
>>
>>46332804
>For example, there are like 15 steps you have to take in order to calculate a single attack roll which really messes with the pacing of the game.
This, right here. Dark Heresy was designed as a tactical, strategic game where trained operators operated against each other operationally. This isn't anything resembling the premise of an average Eva episode. I assume BMJ picked the system because it was one he liked, not because he thought it was a good match for the fluff.
>>
>>46334958
He picked it because of the crit charts, actually, figuring that was a good way to represent how messy the fights get. Plus the fact that it had in-built systems for being scared shitless and going fucking nuts, and something he could use as a basis for Freaky Weird Shit being Freaky and Weird at you
>>
>>46328654
V2 is at the very least playable. I have no idea what BMJ and Latooni were smoking while making V3, but it was probably rolled into a page ripped out of the necronomicon.
>>
>>46328654
Looking to get my local group into it. It doesn't look that bad as long as the players are able to pay attention.
>>
>>46336429
They've completely redone the movement system twice at least, and in general if criticism isn't from one of a very few voices it's ignored
>>
>>46335555
The presence of a chart of random effects is not a good basis to choose a system.
>>
>>46338364
I don't think anybody has said it was.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.