[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My father has just pass away and left me with a huge collection
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
My father has just pass away and left me with a huge collection of his gaming books. Many of them are old and from the 70's. i plan to keep some of them but i was thinking of selling some of the other ones.What do you guys think would be the best way to go about doing that? My dad told me that Noble Knight games would be a good place or Gen Con but im currently in rolled in college in Virginia and dont live near Wisconsin.Some of the games he left are Ring world, the first Call of Cthulhu,panzer battles among other things. From what my dads says he says that his collection has some books worth a lot of money.
>>
>>46322852
First of all, on a completely unrelated note, it'd be a terrible thing to steal something of your fathers to make some quick cash.

On a related note, don't you want to keep those? Just selling your fathers shit just after he passed sounds kind of cold.
>>
>>46322910
I don't want to sell all of them but it is a huge collection and I just dont have the space.I would love for it to be auction off at Gen Con as that is something that my dad and i love doing and were we got most of the collection.I just know i wont be able to do all these books justice by keeping them in a box and it would be great to give these books to people who will take great care of them.
>>
>>46322910
It could be that op inherited most of his assets after he passed and doesn't have room for them all.

OP idk if this would be your best option but I'd look for local cons happening in your state.

I personally probably wouldn't sell them immediately though and would probably try and hold on to most of them. But that's just me
>>
>>46322852

Sorry for your loss, anon.
>>
>>46322852

My Condolences as well, man.

I will say that I think your first idea is best, perhaps save the ones you have personal memory of then sell the rest to local FGS. I'd suggest against places like Half Price or the like as they'll most likely place a premium on the harder to get supplements or sell them to someone who would just keep them in a box for their own amusement.

One thing I might suggest if you have the time or the inclination is to create scans of the ones you're thinking about letting go so that if you ever are looking for something that you knew was in them you could find them. It'll also be something that you can share with his gaming friends and their loved ones while making sure that the physical copies go back into circulation.

Im not a father myself but Ive had stories from when my grandfather died and my dad and his seven siblings fought over things like photos and memorabilia. The ones that my aunts and uncles took ended up becoming damaged or destroyed and we lost a large amount of our family history due to folks having a shortage of space or those spaces being under cared for and allowing things like mold or in one case paper wasps to wreck things.

TL;DR Keep the important ones, get the others out there for others to use, maybe copy the stuff just in case you want it later.
>>
>>46322987
not that anon, but maybe see if your friends are interested in any of them first, that way you can keep it in the family/circle of friends
>>
>>46322852
Condolences about your father. To answer your question:read through them and keep at least one. Write out a list of the remaining titles and their conditions and contact noble night. If money is tight ask them to recompense shipping.
>>
>>46322910

Did you even read the OP? He inherited the collection and the father discussed good ways to sell some of them off. Chill the fuck out.

OP, I'm sorry for your loss. I suggest a few things. First, are you a gamer yourself? Whether you play games makes a very big difference in how you move forward with this.

Second, make his res scans or get someone else to do it. Many of these games are permanently out of print and megabytes weigh practically nothing these days. FOr most players, scans are the only way they'll ever read these classics.

Third, you have to decide if you're trying to just get them all sold now or if you want to make the most money you can from them. A company like Noble Knight will pay you for the lot, but you won't get as much as if you're selling them a few at a time. When you have a big personal loss like this, sometimes it's worth losing some potential $$$ just to get it all over with. Look up the books on Amazon-- ebay works too but you have you re-list all the time.

Finally, what kind of situation do you have at home in Wisconsin? I mean, is your family going to sell them or throw them out if you don't move them quickly? Some families want to clean out that stuff because the memories are rough.

Anyway, I'm so sorry about you losing your dad. I hope this helps.
>>
Sorry for your loss op.
On a side note all books deserve a good home. Maybe donate them to your local LGS. My Local (kinda) LGS lets people use all old books as references. Even try contacting the community .
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.