[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what is Force of Will like? Does anyone play it here? I always
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 160
Thread images: 14
File: 71AU6IiERqL._SL1000_.jpg (190 KB, 1000x682) Image search: [Google]
71AU6IiERqL._SL1000_.jpg
190 KB, 1000x682
So what is Force of Will like? Does anyone play it here?

I always see it at my MtG shop but no one buys it
>>
Banking on weebs lusting over cute animu girls: the card game.
>>
/co/mrade here, there's a guy in my dorm that's a distributor of these cards. He's the typical fare, 200+ lbs, neckbeard, has about a hundred booster packs of these in his single.

He describes the game as being "Magic but with hero units", for what it's worth. I haven't played Magic before, but it was simple enough, and I recognized the potential for some deck archetypes. It's not played much around here anymore, either, but the TCG fans around here at least got a few weeks of enjoyment out of it.

But, of course, nobody who plays the game really cares about the mechanics. It's all about the art. Let me tell you something: the deck he loaned me? Sticky. Never buy the cards secondhand, or you're going to catch something.
>>
>>46307866
It's a lazy mtg clone for edh shitters and the art is awful.
>>
>>46307866
It's not bad. Definitely can tell its a game in its early stages. The art is adorable, the mechanics aren't bad, and the mini EDH feel is cool. I like it as a small, quick game you can do inbetween rounds at MtG tourneys. Price wise it's affordable for a standard competitive deck unlike MtG. I've been playing it for a while instead of mtg standard since that has gotten stale over the last few months.
>>
>>46307866
I've seen some thread talking about the game on /tg/.
I haven't played it, but I've seen some cards and the art is nice, although some are definitely hit and miss if you don't like the anime style.
>>
File: machina.png (1 MB, 615x845) Image search: [Google]
machina.png
1 MB, 615x845
>>46308195
>fags who think it's about the art
It's literally Magic for people who like more powerful cards than the weak garbage standard is pushing out.

Rather than embrace Wizards of the Coast's MUH LIMITED design that turns half the set into draft chaff, even the cards that are genuinely bad seem to have some kind of niche use in Force of Will, with only a very rare vanilla creature popping up here and there.

Better yet, rarity doesn't affect the game too badly. Since you get 2-3 rares a pack, rares and super rares rarely exceed 2 to 4 dollars.

The game is a lot more unbalanced than Magic, but that's because it takes a lot more risks. Great game.
>>
>>46309241
Found the distributor. Hey man, you left your charger in the first-floor lounge.
>>
File: Savior_of_Splendor.jpg (65 KB, 533x755) Image search: [Google]
Savior_of_Splendor.jpg
65 KB, 533x755
>>46309296
I'm actually not an artfag. I think Force's aesthetic is weeb trash. I just happen to enjoy the mechanics.
>>
Mechanics are better than mtg, since they stole only the good ones.

Art isn't weeb enough or lewd, most people confuse it worth more illicit jap card games.

4th most popular card game in the states, though.
>>
>>46310010
>Art isn't weeb enough or lewd, most people confuse it worth more illicit jap card games.
Cheshire cat begs to differ
>>
>>46310010
How can one man be so wrong?
>>
File: E-VIN001-053_OL.jpg (225 KB, 557x777) Image search: [Google]
E-VIN001-053_OL.jpg
225 KB, 557x777
>>46310010
Totally, my dude. Just some wholesome, American card games.
>>
File: Columbus.jpg (113 KB, 701x960) Image search: [Google]
Columbus.jpg
113 KB, 701x960
>>46310324
>not posting superior Columbus
>>
your mana has a seperate deck so there is no mana flood or mana screw

that is what gives it the potential to be great
>>
>>46310324
>>46310796
>>46310094

if you think these are lewd, i can't help you Muhammad.
>>
My friend bought a Weiß Schwarz deck at an anime convention last weekend. How do the two games compare?
>>
File: 1438764098660.png (193 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1438764098660.png
193 KB, 600x800
>>46310857
>>
>>46310964
force of will is like EDH

Weeb Schwarz is like Cardfight Vanguard (flip a card and get a bonus if you get lucky, position of where you place your monsters matter)

They are pretty different games.
>>
>>46310964
FoW is its own lore. It doesn't directly reflect or take scenes from anime. FoW is like a mini MtG EDH game with adorableness. Weiß Schwarz just felt kinda "meh" as a card game and really only appealed to specific anime fan bases. Both are good options for people though. Many people seem to forget to just play what you like.
>>
so you can tell that the game is new
they took out lifebreak and the lose half your hp if your commander dies
and they are still new with errata rules

but they seem to be going in the right direction

too bad no one in my area (central cali) plays it though
>>
File: Reflect.jpg (310 KB, 1105x780) Image search: [Google]
Reflect.jpg
310 KB, 1105x780
The game takes all the fun mechanics of Magic, but its meta jumps between balanced formats to almost tier 0 formats every 3 months.
>>
So what about wiess schwarz, is there actually any merit to that?.
>>
>>46311506
not really

ded game
>>
I don't enjoy magic in any context other than picking some cards up every so often and playing against friends for fun. Once you add two random magic players together it becomes one of the most insufferable and expensive games to experience.
>>
I think Force is better them Magic, especially right now. TMS is also way way better then the crap that is SOI.
>>
>>46313363
Coming from Yugioh, FoW is pretty fun if you have people who aren't sperglords to learn from
>>
>>46311470
True, but thankfully everyone at my LGS stays away from those decks and we all just try to have fun. That's the benefit of a small game, no one is a try hard dick.
>>
>>46307866
Leaving aside the art issue for a moment, what is it with Japanese card game makers and unreasonably large attack and defense scores. Seriously, what does it do for the game? Nothing. You could literally divide all the attack and defense totals by 100 and it wouldn't make a lick of difference. In fact the game would probably play faster and you wouldn't need a calculator to keep track of your lifepoint totals.

Seriously, what the fuck FoW and Yu-Gi-Oh?
>>
>>46313917
just how Japan does it. I think it's similar to their money system. ¥1000 looks like a lot but it's like $10. Just cut out the last two 0s and make the life total 40.
>>
>>46313917
Why would having two extra 0s at the end of your numbers make the game any slower or harder to calculate? I can't really say for FoW since I'm not sure what the japanese demographic is like but I assume it's the same as Yu-Gi-Oh, but the big numbers feel more "impressive."

Yu-Gi-Oh is a game targeted primarily at kids, and big numbers are more appealing. The difference between a big nasty dragon's 1000/1000 and some elf schmuck's 500/800 feels a lot more weighty than 10/10 and 5/8 even if they're the same numbers for all intents and purposes. I think it's just the general japanese style of sensationalizing things to feel exciting in both cases, though.

But really, it doesn't make a difference either way. You could say "what is it with western card game makers and unreasonably low attack and defense scores?" and make more or less the same point. If things were arbitrary numbers like 1054/867 then yeah shit would get messy real fast, but when it's just 1000/800 the game speed and number crunch stays exactly the same across MtG and FoW.

And if calculating life is really that much of a bother, you can still just use d20s like in MtG, but use 2 or 3 of them and just ignore the extra 0s.
>>
>>46313917
It's not bad in force. Just take the two 0s at the end off. There are no numbers ending in anything besides 00 anyways unlike YGO.
>>
>>46313843
Sperglords are everywhere in this hobby. The benefit of FoW is it provides a familiar yet different alternative to magic, whilst being a fledgling game that hasnt been shit up. Yet.

But I mean who didnt have fun during zendikar and gatewatch? Why would you ever play FoW?
>>
>>46314461
>Why would you ever play FoW?
For f u n
>>
>>46314505
I'm being facetious. Zend and Gate were fucking shit shows. Every time Wizards does eldrazi they ruin the game.
>>
My locals have been ruined because 1 guy consistently brought R/R to the local 10 man meta and now everyone else has to use it in order top or get prize support,
>>
>>46309241
This. mtgfags will deny this and call it shilling because they can't comprehend anything outside of their own game. But this
>>
>>46309241
Some guys told me to get into FOW, i looked at the rulers and they all look shit, the only one I liked was Machina, then I looked at my FLGS and he was cheap as fuck, so I assume he is unplayable shit.
So yeah, I'm not getting into this shit.
>>
>>46315050
He just got a new colorless addition for 1 that gives a colorless resonator +6/+6. It's really good.
>>
>>46314939
Unfortunately just like MtG at the moment the FoW meta is dominated by a collection of powerhouse cards. Look at the recent Hawaii tournament and nearly anyone who placed was running a slight variation of alice's world with R/R as their ruler.
>>
>>46315050
>>46315157
Not to mention Marybell has a resonator now, and an insanely powerful one at that.

Judgement>Marybell x3>0 cost March of the Machine Lord can win you the game in one turn at midrange if you've got a Leginus or two out and your opponent doesn't have an immediate answer.

And god forbid you already have one or two flying resonators out to buff Mary even more and make her harder to block. And between Dark Machina and Machina's Ruler side ability, huge plays like that are extremely easy to set up.

And you can run him in any mix of colors thanks to Ryoma, and also use her to let The Earth give you up to 4 extra mana in the early game so that things like Marybell are easily affordable outside of Judgement.
>>
>>46311506
I actually like Weiss Schwarz, but really, Bushiroad doesn't care about it's competitive community.
>>
>>46307866
It's weeaboo EDH. Which is why I like it.. The game is really based around tribal, though, and with its limited card pool, that's the biggest issue with the game. That and the fact they are still having some growing pains when it comes to designing cards.
>>
share your force of will codes for free coupons for sharer and sharee

0002-5761
>>
>>46318590
0002-0888
>>
>>46311506
Interesting when new, gets boring fast.
Buy only for collecting.
>>
>>46318590
That's the ID right?
>>
>>46319414
Yes
>>
>>46314231
Hell, there's no cards with anything in the tens spot either. It's a specific rule that you always round up/down (I can't remember) if an effect cuts a number so it's got anything in the tens spot.
>>
>>46313917
Because unlike murrikans, the rest of the world can count more than 10 without much difficulty.
>>
>>46313917
Well the explanation I got, and it makes more than enough sense to me, is the differences in how we handle money. Americans, Brits, really most westerners use money that is most commonly divided into tens. Tens, twenties, fifties, etcetera. However, Japanese dudes use Yen, which is in the hundreds and thousands. Cup of coffee is five bucks here, five hundred yen there. It's just the numbers that make sense to them. They probably look at Magic and look at a 5/5 and say 'Why is it so low? Are they too simple to use proper numbers?'
>>
>>46319508
0002-4922
>>
>>46319522
0001-8696

Just ordered a a few Valhalla booster boxes.
>>
>>46313917
It's so that when my sister swings into my 1850 ATK monster she has to cringe at the fact that she has an LP count ending in 50 until she gets a second swing in.
>>
>>46315050
Machina is fine. I do consistently well enough to win prizes at my LGS weekly. You just have to gitgud.
>>
>>46318043
>tribal
Nigga no top tier deck is tribal right now, fuck are you on?
>>
>>46308195
>200+ lbs
For taller guys 200 pounds isn't necessarily overweight.
>>
>>46320475
My undefeated deck is Shadow Tribal. The exception being our lord and master Arthur the Undead Lord.
>>
>>46320623
If your undefeated deck is shadow tribal, your meta is awful.
>>
>>46320692
Have you considered you might need to gitgud?
>>
>>46309336
For a second I thought it was the Emprah
>>
>>46309241
>>46310324
>>46310796
Goddamn this flavor text is pure cringe.
>>
>>46320746
Former shadow tribal player here, shadow tribal is objectively weak and if you're undefeated with it then all that proves is the rest of your meta is failing to gitgud.
>>
>>46320746
Shadows are pretty uncompetitive, their two drop dies to Lance and Thunder on the play and Snow White, Pricia or Lance's ability when on the draw. I don't think black that isn't Vlad has been in a top 8 since SKL.
>>
>>46308195
>200lb
>overweight
Manlet detected.
>>
>>46322055
>I don't think black that isn't Vlad has been in a top 8 since SKL.

Dark Alice popped up fairly consistently during TTW, and Gill Lapis is shaping up to do the same during TMS.

Also Vlad isn't black, don't let her attribute fool you, she's a green ruler.
>>
>>46307866
I don't play it myself.

From what I've heard, it's mostly about price. The game plays like a Magic/YuGiOh fusion of sorts. If you're looking for something like Magic and don't overly care about competitive or strict balance concerns, then an entire deck will probably run you the price of one or two expensive Magic cards. I suppose I could see what's going on locally, although I'm just not that interested.

>>46310964
>>46311506
I do like some of the design aspects in Weiss Schwarz, but most of the decisions seem to center around deck building. When playing the game, your choices are going to be pretty obvious: play your biggest creatures, front attack when surviving and side attack when not, end turn. It's probably intended specifically for anime fans, who would be upset about their favorite anime loosing because of some mechanical reasons - and so most function similar mechanically.

>>46313917
It more easily allows for half-values. If you have card powers in the thousands (1k-10k), then +500 can easily take a tie to a win without jumping up into killing the next strength creature.

You'd want something different for dealing with live totals, though. While there isn't a difference between 40 life or 4000 life or 40,000 life, it's far more annoying to be counting half-thousands or quarter-thousands when keeping track of the life totals. (You never end up with 12½ life in Magic, outside Unglued cards.)
>>
I just want Grimm cluster to rotate so Cheshire Cat stops being a formality for like half the good decks, I can't afford that bitch.

She's reminiscent of MTG-style format defining money mythics.
>>
>>46323296
I just want Gretel to leave. Having 7 magic stones on turn 3 is fucking bullshit and skews the fuck out of the color balance.
>>
>>46323296
>Literally ZERO good blue decks in the game since it released in America.
>Hating on the ONLY good blue card in the entire game that isnt niche shit or utterly outclassed by bullshit free swords or fucking creatures that cost 3 less than what they should.

Really retard? I mean seriously?
>>
>>46323366
Eh, I don't have an issue with it, Green needs ramp to do it's thing.

For the record the only reason I'm complaining about Cheshire is it's ridiculous price in an otherwise cheap game, it creates this huge price barrier that keeps dirty poorfags out of glorious multi-color deck land.
>>
>>46323405
Do you even read? I was complaining about price. If Cheshire was ~$5 like every other playable rare in the entire fucking game it wouldn't be an issue, but it's $25+ and scarce as all hell.
>>
>>46323366
Gretel warps your mana base around it, forcing you to play all Green Stones to not just whiff and be left with a weak creature. Seriously this game is utterly dominated by all the colors decks, barring stuff like Baha-blast where everything was free so colors didnt matter anyways, so having at most 2 colors is a major hindrance in this game.
>>
>>46323405
Cat isn't even run in blue decks, it's run as a blue splash in other decks.

Just accept that blue will never be good except as a splash, Cat being deleted from the game this instant wouldn't make competitive blue decks any worse than they already are because they don't exist to begin with.
>>
>>46323405
You should know that poorfags never change whatever game it is.
>>
>>46323474
What decks play blue that beat you to death then? Why on earth are you complaining about the price of a card that forces blue splashes? I mean have you considered not running blue? This game doesn't revolve around it like MtG does anon.
>>
>>46323505
A playset of a single staple card costing more than entire decks is a problem, because low cost is supposed to be one of FoW's big selling points. It creates this awkward moment when a MTG price-refugee starts talking about what kind of decks they want to run and it turns out that they fall within the 50% of the viable deck field that requires you to drop $100 on cats.
>>
File: ENMPR062[1].jpg (267 KB, 556x777) Image search: [Google]
ENMPR062[1].jpg
267 KB, 556x777
>>46323445
Wind in FoW is closer to Blue than Green, though, which is annoying as fuck. They took the acceleration of Green and the counterspells/tempo cards of Blue and mashed them together into one bullshit supercolor.
>>
>>46323575
> low cost is supposed to be one of FoW's big selling points

the most expensive card in the game is only 20 dollars. That in it self says alot.
>>
>>46323575
>50% of viable decks
>required to run Cats.

Ummm what? Im pretty sure that hasnt been true since Baha ruined the game.
>>
>>46323589
They did that because it's a faster paced game, if blue had the counters as-is they would just be maligned for being too slow to be worth it.
>>
>>46323405
You can clean up locals with just the Valentine Blue structure deck. The fuck are you on about?
>>
>>46323496
Except the dualcolor stones count as wind magic stones so she can basically do whatever you want. And even that aside, Ryoma is a 1 drop in Puss in Boots decks and can turn all that green into anything you want and then suddenly your ass is being ravaged by Gwibers or a billion or really anything you want because you have so much fucking mana. And Green has so much control that you can't do anything about it because anything you do is getting countered or silenced if you haven't already lost Turn 5.
>>
>>46323618
That is more of an indicator that the game is UTTERLY niche in a market that is dominated by MtG. Like this game is in the same Japanese card game niche as wiess schwarz, and others like it. The ONLY thing it does differently is it rips off MtG mechanics to nearly a tee to give itself an air of legitimacy to attract MtG price refugees.
>>
>>46323682
>Locals.
SO i assume your shop banned R/R as being too broken then?

>>46323683
>I need a black green stone for my killspell now!!
>Gretel flips up the red/green one
>GG i lose.

Sure.
>>
>>46323691
>to attract MtG price refugees.
and weebs. I'm not going to lie MtG with anime grills sounds like a great combo.
>>
>>46323707
Nah, R/R fags around here don't honestly know what they're doing. The secret to winning my locals is reading the rules and refusing to let your opponent play.

The gameplay is remniscient of MtG, but the tactics are straight YGO TCG: Stun and Control and never give them a break.
>>
>>46323740
Lucky you then. My shop literally has like 6 R/R fags out of 9 players.
>>
>>46323767
There's like 2 here, and they're the kind of faggots that read TVTropes' Game Breaker entry and buy every card and combo on it and make a deck. I shit you not, one of them did exactly that. Dunno what the other one's deal is, but I think she's just playing because the YGO weekly runs at the same time and her boyfriend plays that.
>>
>>46323789
>TVTropes

vomit-tan.png
>>
>>46323635
Any R/R build that isn't just aggro requires it, any other deck running the Alice's World or Adombrali+Gwiber shells require it, any Blue/Black build requires, Yggdrasil requires it, and any given random niche deck has good odds of being required to splash for it as a consistency fixer to not be shit.

Or we can look at it from the other direction, you want to win but you don't want to run Cat, so your proven options are Bahamut and R/R aggro. Your unproven but theoretically viable non-Cat options are Vlad, new Kaguya, Dark Alice, and Primogenitor (my personal semi-competitive local crusher), but they haven't shown significant results in the TMS meta yet so you might just be chasing smoke.
>>
>>46323691
not really, yugioh is the #1 TCG and you'll rarely see card costs on the level of MTG (the 2nd most popular TCG)
>>
>>46323820
>Alice's World won that one ARG that one time.
>Never again.
>Viable.

>Tree.
>Viable.

>Bahamut
>Not Arla.

>Millions of meme arrows.

Blue is utter garbage and cat isnt enough to drag it out of that muck. Also Vlad is and has always been viable and is probably too strong as a control finisher. Seriously that drain is fucking stupid and should never have been printed.
>>
>>46323938
>Tree.
>Viable.

Took first place at ARG Elkhart, with two more top-8 finishes, beating out the usual R/R suspects.

>Bahamut
>Not Arla.

Bahamut is the making it in to top-8s with any degree of consistency.

>Vlad is and has always been viable and is probably too strong as a control finisher.
Primogenitor lolnopes Vlad into oblivion, and Vlad already had problems dealing the the good R/R decks which have only gotten better in TMS, there's a good reason we're seeing Vlad top-8 finishes fall off.
>>
>>46307866
It's like being on a Sexual Predator list, but not legally being on a Sexual Predator list yet.
>>
File: 1458872002975.jpg (126 KB, 721x705) Image search: [Google]
1458872002975.jpg
126 KB, 721x705
>>46323938
I play 37 spell Vlad and hate fun

When Vlad rotates out, what should I do?

other than kill myself
>>
>>46323999
>Took first place at ARG Elkhart
Got a list? I kind want something other than R/R to play.
>>
>>46324034
It's was posted on the Facebook today. If nobody else has bothered I'll dig it up in a bit when I get back from the store.

Also, totally fucking randomly, a Seer of the Blue Moon deck made top8 in the 5-8 slot. Flash in the pan, or the next sleeper deck about to murder us all in our sleep?
>>
>>46324069
Thats what everyone said about Rezzard that one time he won a major tournament as well. He then rolled over and died.
>>
>>46307866
I really wish it was easier to unload some of the more rare cards around my location.

In the most recent set I pulled the Alt art Kaguya and she's worth quite a bit, I just have no where to sell it.
>>
File: Tree World.jpg (86 KB, 698x960) Image search: [Google]
Tree World.jpg
86 KB, 698x960
>>46324034
>>46324069
Decklist. The meat of it looks like a fairly typical Alice's World shell, nothing really surprising.
>>
>>46324069
You got a list for the Seer deck?
>>
>>46324329
Ebay is your friend, and probably only realistic option.
>>
>>46324663
>Tree.
>Alice's world shell.

UGH, great now it actually has a way to survive long enough to get the combo off. Welp NVM on that but thanks for the list anyway.
>>
File: Seer of the What The Fuck.jpg (73 KB, 698x960) Image search: [Google]
Seer of the What The Fuck.jpg
73 KB, 698x960
>>46324670
Now that I think about it I faced something similar to this last week at my local, I won but it was close.
>>
>>46324715
>An actual U/B deck.

HOLY FUCK REALLY?!?!?? Now this is something i might want to play.
>>
>>46324715
>>46324069
ATTENTION people: do NOT use ARG events as a good way to gather information about the meta.

The vast majority of tournaments for ARG Force of Will are TINY. 8-12 people attend, but top 8 are still given the same "top 8" treatment as if it were a much larger tourney.

Force of Will's meta is an unholy clusterfuck unless you're going to nats or something. Just play what you want and you can probably get away with it at the LGS level.
>>
File: 1421812763725.jpg (144 KB, 803x688) Image search: [Google]
1421812763725.jpg
144 KB, 803x688
>>46323887
>Yugioh bigger than Magic
>Yugioh cards inexpensive compared to Magic
How's that extra deck treating you, friend?
>>
>>46324805
You only have to buy ED cards once, and usually only once each. If you're patient you can usually wait for K-Money to get greedy and reprint the card at a low rarity. Not to mention you can shift the same ED cards between all of your decks without disrupting them.

You can get all of your ED staples for less than 100 burgers if you know how to shop.

Also, YGO sales and playerbase recently exceeded MtG's according to some census or something. The source escapes me but there was a buzz about it about a month ago.
>>
I want to fuck Piruruk.
>>
>>46325027
What's a piruruk?
>>
>>46324920
Not doubting you, but where do YGO people play?
All of my local game shops have gigantic turnouts for Magic every Wednesday and Friday nights, and nothing that large is offered to YGO in my area.
>>
>>46325112
There's usually huge support for it in college towns, from what I've heard. It's the same local game shops that run MtG.
>>
>>46321553
Because it's literally fed through google translate.
>>
>>46323938
Alice's World has dominated several ARGs and a couple AGP, only losing to R/R aggro.
>>
>>46311470
>every 3 months
Hardly R/R will be the top dog forever. But skittles and the newly released cards do break all the rules that have been in place until now.
>>
>>46326230
Naw. Someone working for the company said R/R will be dead after A4. We just need to wait a little longer.
>>
>>46326349
They said the same thing when TMS was released. Remember when enter effects were relevant? You know that one J/Ruler that directly affects enter effects? Yeah neither does FoW.
>>
>>46326230
From a meta perspective R/R isn't even "unbalanced", because it's just an enabler that makes the deck it's stapled to do stuff harder. Hypothetically: Is a meta with five unique viable decks with unique rulers actually healthier than a meta with ten unique decks but 6 of them use R/R? I'd argue no..

It's only a problem when you've got a busted shell to staple him to like Alice's World, and even then Yggdrasil is making a case for being at least equally viable at fueling that particular degeneracy, and I'd be shocked Ygg was judged as inherently broken or unbalanced.
>>
>>46326371
Except Primo shuts down Valentina regalia decks hard. We will probably get a ruler that effects magic counters or activated abilities of other rulers.
>>
>>46326388
It sounds like you've never played the game before. R/R is busted like really fucking busted, tell me how free ponder and free counter spell isn't broken?
>>46326405
Counters and activated abilities have been around since MOA.
>>
>>46326424
Filtering =/= Ponder

You don't get card advantage off it.
>>
>>46326424
True but they were never a problem before now. They know R/R is good, that's why they erratad it. I believe in them.
>>
>>46326444
Stacking your deck isn't card advantage its cheating. You used to be able to do it during your opponents phase. Oh on your end step see what my next draw is, its bad mmk, my turn, see what my next card is, its bad again mmk, well I guess I will sit on all these free counters that do provide card advantage.
>>
>>46326424
>tell me how free ponder and free counter spell isn't broken?
It isn't free, you're paying the opportunity cost of not being able to flip your ruler and beat your opponent to death with it.

I beat up on R/R decks all the time, Primo shuts his shit down. When I lose a game it's usually because of the shell he's stapled to, and it probably would have happened whether it was R/R, Ygg, Scheherezade, or Bahamut/Sylvia in the case of the aggro shell.

>>46326482
And that's why they errata'd that shit. Pre-errata he was broken as all fuck because you could dig through your deck and generate counters way too fast.
>>
>>46324741
I've actually been working on a kind of similar list. TMS has done a lot for blue, Space-Time Anomaly and Prison in the Lunar Lake are both god damn amazing cards. Prison hits Lance, cancels Gretel's ramp, can cancel new Pricia's blow up ability, just an insanely useful card. And space time is like a more useful 2-drop Thunder that replaces itself, and being able to cast from the graveyard helps create some insane card advantage. Seer is actually really fun to play too, though it's incredibly grindy, and because Executioner and Prison both require you have a specific color stone in play to flip them, can be a bit inconsistent. Two mirrors I've played with the version I've been working on, which is admittedly much lower on resonators than that list, has ended by me just decking the other player.
>>
So automatic abilities are just things like etb triggers or kaguya's when you awaken a card get 2 1/1 counters correct?
>>
>>46328846
Or awakenings that trigger on enter, yeah. Also Lancelot's 700 damage when attacking, new Pricia's 500 damage when dying.. Basically any triggered ability, if you're familiar with Magic.
>>
>>46328974
Alright thanks
>>
>>46328633
>because Executioner and Prison both require you have a specific color stone in play to flip them

Wasn't that changed? I'm pretty sure you don't need the colors anymore to trigger things in your Standby area.
>>
>>46331134
You don't for the cost. Their trigger condition though specifically states you need certain stones.
>>
>>46331249
I'm 99% sure that's wrong and that requirement was removed. The comp rules don't say anything about needing stones on the field to trigger Chant-Standby cards.
>>
>>46331319
Anon, he's not talking about the comp rules saying you need the stones. The specific cards in question have the requirement of a darkness or water stone in their trigger condition. Also, am I to understand that I can play sign to the future in a deck with nothing but fire stones?
>>
>>46331426
Ooh, ok, it's on those specific cards, got it sorry.

>am I to understand that I can play sign to the future in a deck with nothing but fire stones?
Yes, you can throw Sign in any deck you please, you'll just obviously lose out on the option of casting it from hand which can matter every now and then.
>>
>>46331505
I've been building my decks around that rule. Time to change that. Also, do you still need the number of stones to cast from standby, or can you cast a 5 cost standby from standby if you have only 3 stones but meet the printed trigger?
>>
>>46331541
There are absolutely no stone-based requirements beyond those printed on individual cards.
>>
>>46331651
Well fuck me sideways, standby cards are a lot better than I thought they were. I've been reading archaic rules it seems or interpreting them incorrectly. Gotta see if I can nab a seer and do some shenanigans with her.
>>
>>46331709
Yeah never read the CR from the FoW US site, it hasn't been updated in ages and there's been a lot of rules changes since then. That's why Seer of the Blue Moon is actually seeing play now, T1 Executioner or Prison face down is nuts, even on the draw. I'm working on a Seer standby list right now that also incorporates Alice's World, because I found I had nothing to do with all my stones once I durdle for 10 turns killing everything, especially if they shot down my Meph since it's basically my only win condition.
>>
>>46323887

Yu-Gi-Oh has way more expensive cards than Magic thanks to its bonkers rarity scheme and the fact that the only two formats are Vintage and Legacy.

The only reason YGO's Advanced Format isn't completely swamped with broken old cards is because they keep printing broken new cards every year to muscle them out.

It's the most fucked card game in existence, and no, it is NOT more popular than Magic.
>>
>>46337688
Numbers say otherwise, no, tournaments really don't count for shit, casuals do and I see a lot more ygo casuals than I do mtg ones.
>>
>>46310796
>>46310324
>Vingolf
I hate how Vingolf art feels so out-of-place with the rest of the FOW art. The backgrounds are the worst part, since FoW cards tend to have good backgrounds in their art.
>>
>>46337763
well they did use artwork from another card game
>>
I kind of want to build a water deck, anyone have a suggestion?
>>
>>46340162
I saw a semi successful deck that used every blue creature that cantripped and Shangri-la. Topped its curve with Valentina and splashed a bit of black for Space Time Anonaly.

Could rebuild after a wipe really well, fucks control nicely.
>>
>>46307866

I play MTG mostly and I actually do like and enjoy this game but I just don't want to invest too much time or money in it too much since I'm also playing two other games on a (semi)competitive level and that's Doomtown and Netrunner alongside MTG of course. Luckily I have friends who play and they're all too happy to lend me decks to play for weekly local tourneys.
>>
>>46340162
like mono water? valentina 1.0 is pretty gud
>>
>>46342477
is water/dark a good option?
>>
File: ebony-prophet.jpg (106 KB, 530x370) Image search: [Google]
ebony-prophet.jpg
106 KB, 530x370
Are there still competitive builds for my nigga Abdul or has he been left behind?
>>
>>46342575
OP of original question, is a Cthulu type deck viable?
>>
>>46342813
>>46342575
water dark is viable they printed a nice dark/water removal spell last set thats quite good. only downside to playing water is that it kinda forces you to play cheshire cat one of the most expensive cards in the game due to how good it is. cthulu tribal isnt really viable outside of casual but there are a bunch of good cthulus that are good on there own hasutr nyar adum brali and cthuga in aggro decks.
>>
>>46342611
Abdul isn't very viable as they've moved away from enter effects to continues effects that trigger etb. making his counter more useless every set
>>
>>46334437
Just built a seer deck myself. I like the potential it has, but I can see that getting all Mephistopheles killed would be a problem. Have you thought of any alternate win-cons? I don't have 4 meph so I use 2 and 2 lucifer. Haven't been able to properly test yet but I can't imagine it's too bad.
>>
>>46342813
Pure cthulus, no. Blazerthulu and R/R are your best bet.
>>
>>46342813
Cthulhu decks don't run as well outside of luck, but incarnation is a powerful ability when used correctly. I'd recommend a deck that uses certain Cthulhu with incarnation over a pure deck. Pure Cthulhu seems like the noob trap for this game.
>>
>>46337728
That's only because of Asian countries. Mtg is more popular than YGO in the West.
>>
What's the best choice of secondary color for Shion? I'd like to build a deck around her if I can get my hands on her, but I'm still thinking.

White seems really good for Muse/Arthur shenanigans, which I already have a couple of, but Black gives me a lot of good removal.
>>
>>46346478
Do both. Put celestial wing seraph and lucifer in for the ole one-two-Kalamazoo against your opponent. Having 2700 power off a shion flip into titty angel and Lucy is back breaking.
>>
Gonna try out my Six Sages deck soon. Anyone have success with them?
>>
>>46346796
I prefer Purplemist in my Shion deck. I played against one that ran the angels but it wasn't very good against me. No one expects Purplemist and there aren't easy ways to get rid of it unless the wipe your board then Lucifer.
>>
>>46347699
Not recently, but they are pretty fun. If you don't run Realm of Pure Spirits I definitely recommend it. Having that out and one of more Moojdarts just lets you stall so well until you can alpha strike them.
Thread replies: 160
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.