[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any advice for a wannabe GM? I'm trying to write an AC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: latest[1].png (21 KB, 996x1200) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
21 KB, 996x1200
Any advice for a wannabe GM?

I'm trying to write an AC campaign, and I'm thinking that I should use GURPS or just modern pathfinder. I'm pretty creative so writing the campaign itself shouldn't be too challenging, but I'm still all ears for advice on what I should and shouldn't do, especially considering the theme.

I do plan on letting my players go in and out of the Animus, if they can get their hands on one of course. Their ancestors are going to going to be pre-made characters with their own traits and such, and for every session that my players spend in the Animus, certain skills will carry over from their ancestors to the real characters.

Of course, my players might just try to run away from Abstergo and the Assassins, trying to avoid the conflict altogether, but I'm pretty sure I've got all things considered in terms of railroading.
>>
How the hell are you going to get your players to use an Animus if they don't want to?
>>
>>46304060
Well I never thought it would be too much of an issue. They'd either be captured by the Templars and forced to use them, or the Assassins would bring them in and have them use the Animus too.

It's going to follow the basic structure of the first few games. Secrets locked away in genetic memory that the Templars and Assassins are racing for.
>>
>>46304084
Well don't fuck it up
>>
File: 1455695203933.png (2 KB, 233x301) Image search: [Google]
1455695203933.png
2 KB, 233x301
>>46304097
Great tips
>>
Remember to turn it into a wildly inaccurate animu setting.
>>
>>46304169
Jesus Christo, is this official?
>>
File: j005.jpg (169 KB, 1024x729) Image search: [Google]
j005.jpg
169 KB, 1024x729
>>46304182
Official but non-canon.

Remember that Japan LOVES Assassin's Creed.
>>
>>46304208
Yeah cause no matter what Ubi does AC is still fucking rad
>>
>>46304208
They do? Why the fuck is Ubisoft so averted to making a main Eastern game then?

I guess it's just the director's creative vision to keep it Western, since that's where Templars and Assassins hold the strongest presence, but a Feudal Japan game would just print money.

>>46304224
It's a damn shame how fucking easy they are. They really need difficulty settings. It'd be great if you could customize it too. Like, you could increase the difficulty of raw combat, or increase guard AIs, where they shoot on sight and stay alert much longer.
>>
>>46304208
Why does the shadow across his face have an outline? It looks like a mask.
>>
File: ACM_Hanzo_Hattori_3.jpg (234 KB, 952x1142) Image search: [Google]
ACM_Hanzo_Hattori_3.jpg
234 KB, 952x1142
>>46304244
>Why the fuck is Ubisoft so averted to making a main Eastern game then?

Ninja Assassins are already canon.

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/Hattori_Hanz%C5%8D
>>
>>46304244
>They do? Why the fuck is Ubisoft so averted to making a main Eastern game then?
Isnt the next one taking place in india or was that egypt
>>
>>46304281
There's a LOT of canon in the series that isn't in the main games.
>>
>>46304285
Rumors is Egypt, but that's far from Eastern.
>>
>>46303914
I guess you're familiar with GURPS or like crunch?

Personally, I'd probably run something like this in Fate if I wanted to be a bit free wheeling, or gonzo, letting the characters dip in and out of different periods.
If I had a more focussed campaign in mind, something investigative, I might use TimeWatch (time-travel GUMSHOE).

There's an small press RPG called Black Seven with an expansion called Animus that's designed for ACII style games.

I probably wouldn't use straight up AC fluff, it might be a bit limiting. I haven't played Rogue or Syndicate (Unity was so lacklustre, gameplay and story-wise, a shell for microtransactions) or the console side-scrollers. I'm still hoping they dump the reliving genetic memory thing and go with full possessing/quantum-leap style time travel at some point.
>>
I ended up playing 3 First and found it really meh. Left it alone for two years then played 2. That's when I understood the hype. Despite 2's awful ending and the beginning of Brotherhood, I've enjoyed it greatly.

It bugs me that they barely address the fact that Ezio is 41 in Brotherhood and Claudia is 39 but they both act incredibly immature.

>>46304285
Egypt.
>>
>>46304335
>full possessing/quantum-leap style time travel at some point.
It's sci-fi, not fantasy. The entire premise of the Animus thing is learning the truth about history. Changing history would be an entirely different type of story and even a separate genre.
>>
>>46304340
Refresh my memory, what did Ezio do that was so immature in Brotherhood?
>>
>>46303914
My suggestion? Adapt a different RPG to your needs. Combat in AC is supposed to be quick and deadly, but skilled opponents will end up deadlocked for a little while.

Maybe try modernized Song of Swords? Or try to Adapt the FFG Star Wars RPGs without the Force Stuff. And with super deadly weapons.
>>
>>46304380
>>46304335
Alrighty, I'll look into that.
>>
>tfw the only one I like is the first game
croosades just don't get enough love in video games
>>
>>46304372
Mainly the way he acts with Claudia. In fact, Ezio has changed very little in behavior across the 2 games and the fact he's middle-aged hasn't been addressed yet aside from one Doctor mentioning it. He doesn't even look that old.

Still getting through Brotherhood so that might change.
>>
>>46304412
What's he do with Claudia?
>>
>>46304399
Ironically, the first one was a proof of concept more than anything.
>>
>>46304399
I wish it got a remake
>>
>>46304421
The way they talk. When Claudia volunteers to take over the Brothel, Ezio acts like an overprotective big brother, despite the fact he's barely talked to her over the past 20 years. Not to mention tmhe's always surly when they talk afterwards. It smacks of childishness.
>>
I'm still annoyed they didn't call the Templars, the Illuminati. If the Templars have existed for millennia, then why do they stick to the one name they used when they got their asses kicked during the Crusades?
>>
>>46304430
I guess it being fresh made it stick in my mind better than the later games, even if they did improve on the formula.
>>
>>46304457
Fair enough
>>
>>46304478
Because Illuminati is a meme IRL, and Ubisoft doesn't really want that going on with their antagonists.

Plus, the Illuminati conspiracies often involve aliens and reptillians and shit, and Templars aren't about that.
>>
>>46304481
2 was an impressive refinement and Brotherhood was even better. Haven't played Revelations yet but I hear it's good. 3 dropped the ball but proved to be adequate. 4 is the best with Rogue a close second. Unity was a disaster, but Syndicate is apparently good. Better than 3 at least.
>>
>>46304503
Unity only has a bad reputation because of how bad its launch was, but it's had five big patches and it's really good now, not considering main story.
>>
>>46304492
Fair point, but I still hate the name.
>>
>>46304529
I wish they stopped using it too, and just went with The Company or something, referring to Abstergo of course.
>>
>>46304492
>Templars aren't about that
>the series literally has ancient alien humans whose souls are preserved in genetic memories and ancient computers

Anon

Anon...
>>
>>46304503
Yeah but none of those are fresh new ideas, like AC1 was.

and none of them have crusaders (very important)
>>
>>46304503
Original was the only one with any moral nuance to it. Each of the Templars had reasons they felt justified their actions to you - one of them was even a doctor beloved by his patients. Even the fucking slaver felt he was just doomsday prepping the people for lean times ahead. The French head of the order was a fuckface but thats historical. Over all the Templars were flaweden doing what they thought was best
Meanwhile your hero was a spoiled child learning not to be a little shit, who matured into a much wiser man by the end of the game. And whose the ultimate villain in the end? Your own mentor who you THOUGHT was your guide in all this but was secretly a hypocrite. It was incredibly nuanced for a videogame and made all the sequel's look like puddles in depth comparison.

But maybe I'm just crazy. After all, I actually liked Connor (even if his dad should've been the protagonist)
>>
>>46304677
Anon, Black Flag did the moral nuance way better.
>>
>>46304692
Teech. ;_;7
>>
>>46304692
Disagree, the Templars are mustache twirlingly evil again. Protag may be an amusingly unapologetic scoundrel, but but the antag is still evil mcbadstuff who hurts da natives
>>
>>46304285
India was the side-scroller one. Egypt during the reign of the Ones Who Came Before is the rumor.
>>
>>46304833
There were 3 sidescrollers.
>>
>>46304758
Well, it's historically accurate in that case.
>>
>>46304607
Yeah, but the Templars aren't lead by aliens pretending to be human
>>
>>46304758
What? The Templar Grand Master in AC4 is the nicest dude in the game.
>>
>>46304677
I couldn't find anything to like about Connor. He was so indecisive. Haytham was actually an interesting character.
>>
>>46304857
Neither is the Illuminati in the Secret World but that worked out just fine.
>>
>>46304880
your mom
>>
>>46304637
Sure, they may not have been new but they were all improvements on the original idea, which, while good, was seriously lacking in execution.
>>
>>46304885
Go away Peter.
>>
>>46304758
The pirates-turned-templars did literally nothing wrong.
>>
>>46305010
Filthy turncloak

You're not wrong
>>
>>46304758
>Templars are mustache twirlingly evil

Speaking of which, I'm kinda glad they jumped the shark with that in AC Syndicate.
>>
>>46305101
How did the Animus/Helix show scenes with that guy during times when the twins were never around to see him?
>>
>>46305114
I'm not sure it's even canon that the player character sees them. They just wanted to show off the villain. I don't recall there being an explanation for it.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.