[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44
File: darkconfidant.jpg (24 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
darkconfidant.jpg
24 KB, 265x370
What SOI card do you think is the real deal?
>>
I honestly think Brain in a jar will spawn some odd archetype. It's essentially aether vial for instants and sorceries. I really do think it will somehow find a home.
>>
>>46302207
They're all shit

Also that's a standard question. Why can the op never be modern related
>>
>>46302358
It's a lot fucking worse than Vial because you HAVE to but a counter on it. You can't just tick it up to 1 or 2 and leave it. Needing to ramp up to 1-whatever cmc spells and taking a turn to remove any counters is really bad.
>>
New preview of Eldritch Moon!

>Eye of the Werewolves
>Legendary Land
>Werewolf cards costs cost <><> less
>T, (2): Search your deck for a werewolf card, reveal it, put it in your hand, then shuffle your library.

>Werewolf Temple
>Land
>T: Add <> to your mana pool
>T: Add two mana of any colour to your mana pool, spend this only to cast werewolf spells.

You guys are joking about werewolves decks being bad in Modern, just wait until these launch, that'll completely prove me right that werewolves aren't total shit!
>>
>>46302419
I think if you build around the card correctly it can gain a lot of value. Just curve out at 4, then drop this turn 2 and work up the chain. If you have something like an esper list and everything draws cards, this can really gain you some advantage.
Let's say you play it turn 2
Next turn you play a 2cmc spell and a 1, still on curve.
Then turn 4, you can play a 3 cmc and a 2.
Then turn 5 if you're hitting land drops, you can play a 4 cmc card and a 3 off jar. It's putting you ahead a mana every turn you use it, then when you hit 4 cmc with it, you scry 4, and stack your next draws without any tempo loss. The fact of the matter is this card doesn't lose you anything, it gains mana, ability to cast sorceries at instant speed, and sets up your draws. I think it'll find a home in some tier 3 sorcery heavy deck.
>>
File: SOI cards.png (584 KB, 992x532) Image search: [Google]
SOI cards.png
584 KB, 992x532
A few cards I have my eye on, in addition to the super obvious cards like New Avacyn and vindicate clone
>>
File: 1443271486577.jpg (115 KB, 435x435) Image search: [Google]
1443271486577.jpg
115 KB, 435x435
>>46302518
took me a minute to get it, I must be getting old
>>
>>46302367
Maybe because Standard cards are playable in modern
>>
Fair chance they'll be tried at least:

Skin invasion

Relentless dead

Meme in the ice

Long shots:

Avacyn

Asylum visitor

Declaration in stone is not good.
>>
>>46302358
Vial is good because it grows on it's own, it's a one time 1 mana investment

Brain in a jar is bad because not only does it cost two mana it's a continuous investment, Playing one mana off curve each turn probably isn't worth playing sorceries at instant speed in a format as fast as modern
>>
File: unnamed(2).png (147 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
unnamed(2).png
147 KB, 223x311
>>46302207
Will brew with pic related
>>
>>46302518
Plot twist: New Emrakul subtype = Wolf
>>
For Modern, the only card I'm sure will 100% have a decent impact on the metagame is Thing in the Ice.

There are a bunch of cards that I think are good enough to be modern viable in other metagames or if more support is printed for them, or that I'll be fucking around with in jank homebrew because I enjoy that, but TITI is the only definite Modern slam dunk imo.
>>
The thing about Modern (or Eternal) is that we already have the best cards ever printed for staple effects.

Lightning Bolt, Path to Exile, Abrupt Decay, Thoughtseize, Mana Leak. There are also good variants like Inquisition and Remand. I guess there's still room to reprint Counterspell. Anyways, the point is, staple bread and butter deck components have reached their power limit; we know Wizards doesn't have the balls to give us stronger effects than what we got.

This means that the only space for cards with impact to be printed are engine cards. Things like Birthing Pod or cards like Amulet of Vigor.

There is space to print better creatures but I'm pretty sure nobody with a brain actually wants to play with or against better Tarmogoyfs, Goblin Guides, Thalias, or senseless bullshit like Lingering Souls or Siege Rhino. And on the top-end I really don't see the difference between cheating out Iona or Gristlebrand. I don't even want to talk about Planeswalkers.

Deck archetypes will be created or built off engine cards and quite frankly I don't find that forthcoming. There are more than enough engine cards printed in the past ten years of Magic to make any number of new archetypes if Wizards didn't completely hamstring them with ridiculous mana costs.

Basically any potential artifact or Enchantment engine card that costs more than 3 is a waste of fucking space. And that's all they are, overcosted horseshit that nobody in their right mind would put 4-of in their deck because they'll just die if they draw two or tap out on turn 6 to cast a do-nothing card.
>>
>>46302358
can't we just cast CMC 0 cards like Living End and Ancestral Visions (when it's unbanned)?
>>
>>46303608
Then treasure cruise happened and destroyed every format and was banned while pack were still fresh in the shelves if they ever print anything useful it or its enabler will be banned immediately (ie eldrazi) stale format is stale and any new toys get removed so it can go back to the same 4-5 decks
>>
>>46303663
Nope, you have to put the then cast the spell.
So no cascabalance.
>>
>>46303278
Thats an interesting card. It doesnt exile the card from your graveyard, but it still seems like an overcosted pyromancers ascension
>>
>>46303688
I wouldn't consider Treasure Cruise a deck-enabler. It just made existing decks better.

My point is that we need cards like Birthing Pod and Amulet of Vigor; low costed engine cards. Treasure Cruise is just a stock effect that was too strong. Just like a 4-damage to anything for R isn't exactly going to enable any new decks.

That's what we want right? New decks? Treasure Cruise never made a new deck possible.
>>
>>46303140
what's wrong with declaration in stone? It's a 2CMC exile card, potential to exile more than 1 creature - far better than cards like Oblivion Strike, at a cheaper cost. The fact that they might be able to investigate is not really that great a benefit to the other player, they still have to waste mana if they wish to benefit from it. If I make a full white standard I will most likely have 4x of it.
>>
>>46303734
I think we don't need strong build-around-me combo enablers all that much. We need broad groups of cards that synergize well with each other such that they make a good deck together that can't fit in the format staples as well.

Decks like Merfolk, and yes, Eldrazi (Which hopefully is nerfed but not destroyed) fit this bill very well. Giving, say, Vampires and Zombies sufficient tribal support with enough distinct advantages to edge out Merfolk in some metagames and for some playstyles would be an excellent start, and it seems like they're at least trying to do so for both tribes (Though I think both are still somewhat lackluster, unless we see something really excellent in Eldritch Moon).

The other thing the format needs is exactly things like Counterspell. More control options that don't much improve non-control lists. Counterspell, for example, is only better than Mana Leak in decks that want to go for the long game. Innocent Blood is excellent removal for decks that run few or no creatures. Unbanned Ancestral Visions would do almost nothing for U lists that can't control the game for three turns.

Thing in the Ice is, I think, a good step in this direction. It's ok in U tempo lists, but is probably best in U lists that want to use it as an early wall then flip it once they're in control of the game.
>>
>>46303812
Sometimes it's hard enough to justify playing Path to Exile. Giving them the opportunity to get a card with your worse removal spell isn't appealing either. The rare upside to getting more than one creature I don't think justifies it unless recurring asshole creatures becomes a real problem like Gravecrawler or weenie decks that play Proclaimation of Rebirth.

Consider this. If they have a massive creature like Gristlebrand they're only going to have one - might as well Path it. If they have tokens and this thing is going to nix a bunch of spirit tokens, you are better off playing some smaller wrath like a Pyroclasm or the millions of other Black or Red Pyroclasm effects we have.
>>
>>46303812

In the context of modern, basically what >>46303608 said. It's a really shit path. It's fine for standard. Nothing spectacular, but playable in a white based aggro deck.
>>
>>46303812
>Sorcery
Into the trash
>>
>>46303812
>2 mana to draw at instant speed
>not good
Anon, the card can never even 1-for-1 your opponent and it's a sorcery. It's not great in Standard, and it's absolute garbage in Modern.
>>
>>46303915
I would be happy if we got Counterspell and a fantastic card like Innocent Blood as well. But I'm doing fine playing Grixis and American control decks without them. The decks are still control decks with or without Counterspell or things like Innocent Blood. I don't need my control deck to be Tier 2 or something like that. Not everything needs to be top dog. If you want to play pure control go right ahead; we don't need Counterspell to do that. All we need are Collonades and Tarpits and we got those.

I am completely not interested in enabling any new tribal decks. To me, Merfolk and to some extent Goblins and even further off Soul Sisters sufficiently represents strong tribal synergies in Modern. To me, Tribal as an archetype is basically "dump a lot of shit onto the battlefield" and I think we've covered most of the bases there with fish (lords), goblins (going wide/zerg), or Eldrazi (flagrantly not fair). That being said I would be okay with enabling Zombies as a tribe as Gravecrawler takes the whole tribal thing in a graveyard direction - but that deck already exists with Vengevines and Bloodghasts, you don't need cards that actually say "zombie" to do that shit when they're doing exactly what Gravecrawler is essentially doing.

Thing in the Ice to me is like Delver. As much as people hate Delver I love the card as it singlehandedly enables Tempo strategies. But Thing in the Ice will be no different to me than a card like Young Pyromancer or a card like Abbot or Keral Keep. Tempo is still there with or without it. And in a control shell it will be nothing I need or crave even if it's good enough. In control my cup already runneth over with options on how to kill my opponent, if Thing proves to be good enough then I'll embrace it, but I'm not terribly hungry for a new card because control can be built any billion number of ways. The point here is that I'm not going to give any credit to Wizards for giving us a card like Thing.
>>
File: 1451774518979.png (499 KB, 449x642) Image search: [Google]
1451774518979.png
499 KB, 449x642
>>46302207
'Certainly'
>Arlinn Kord, Relentless Dead
'Maybe'
>Sin Prodder, Thing in the Ice, Eerie Interlude
'Doubtful'
>Diregraf Colossos, Declaration in Stone, Nahiri, Anguished Unmaking, Traverse the Ulvenwald
>>
>>46304193
Arlinn is trash
>>
>>46302207
Only one that seems kind of interesting is asylum visitor. Seems good for eight rack and not much else. Titi feels like myth realized. EVERYONE got burned on that card, all the pros were saying it would make control good in modern, it was the breakout card of the set etc. Titi has the exact same problems as myth realized mechanically, although it does have more payoff. The main problem with it is that it doesn't provide a threat immediately and dies to abrupt decay. Every permanent in modern has to pass that test, titi fails.
>>
>>46304193
>arlinn kord

Anon please. Your waifu a bad way to die on t4
>>
>>46304225
In zoo decks she wont be. And she has potential in Jund.

>in before zoo decks are trash
>>
>>46304230
>implying GR wont ramp her out T3
>Wolf
>Lightning bolt
>Wolf
>Lightning bolt
>Wolf
>Lightning bolt
>Wolf
>Lightning bolt
The ride never ends
>>
>>46304249
It ends like the second time you do it retard, she only has 3 loyalty.
>>
>>46304230
>>46304230
Dying on turn four? Haha, oh wow. You do realize that with the Eldrazi and Twin gone, midrange decks will be king again, right?

Did you Anon?
>>
>>46304230
All of Jund's 4 drops are "a bad way to die on T4."

That isn't the point of Jund's 4 drops.

She's essentially a unique spin on Huntmaster.
>>
>>46304270
Are you that autistic guy who likes tectonic edge from the other thread? I bet you are
>>
>>46304294
She's a "fixed" huntmaster for standard. And huntmaster doesn't see much play in Jund compared to Kalitas and Pia and Kiran.
>>
>>46304246
Zoo decks ARE trash, and more importantly they already have a 3cmc GR walker with relevant abilities.
>>
>>46304293
You're an idiot
>>
>>46304309
My opinion of it is who cares whether or not she's good. Go ahead and play her if you want in Jund's 4-slot. Like you said you have Kalitas, P&K, Huntmaster, and Olivia Voldaren. Hell, you could probably play the 4CMC Garruks if you really wanted to.

It's not like those cards are necessary to play Jund nor do they function as the backbone of the deck. I wouldn't fault anybody for playing one card I listed over the other.
>>
>>46304294
A bad spin on Huntmaster*

2 2/2 bodies and 2 life =/= one 2/2 body and the promise of a bolt to come.
>>
File: 1459066207028.jpg (38 KB, 491x360) Image search: [Google]
1459066207028.jpg
38 KB, 491x360
>>46304334
Fine, guess I am. But dont come crying to me when Thoughtseizes, Kommands, Goyfs and Snapcaster Mages are ruining your T4 combowombo time.

>>46304321
Please dont tell me you're refering to Domri Rade.
>mfw
>>
>>46304345
There are good reasons to play one over the other though. Kalitas is really good against aggro because of his lifelink and the fact that he turns your bolts into 2/2's. P&K is good in grindy metas where you just need the evasive bodies to close out the game, and where her reach is more relevant. Huntmaster is kind of a weaker version of kalitas, although he's stronger against path and dismember. Olivia is weaker now compared to P&K because she dies to bolt on turn 4, although if she's given time she puts more work in.

Point is there's reason to pick one over the other and knowing which one to pick is part of the skill in playing Jund. It helps you grind out those last few matches.
>>
File: unnamed.gif (392 KB, 425x345) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.gif
392 KB, 425x345
MODERN THREAD
DICKS WAVING EVERYWHERE
FORMAT IS DEAD
LETS SUCK EACH OTHERS DICKS
>>
>>46304352

She has abilities other than the bolts. Huntmaster demands that you play spells certain ways to get him to flip, whereas Caitlyn Giraffe's abilities are mostly on demand.

Huntmaster doesn't really do much for you if you already have a board and can't force him to flip quickly, which is one of the reasons Cletus is seeing play.

Whereas Giraffe can either roid out something on the board (vigilance is pretty good), even if it wasn't on the board last turn (haste is pretty good).
God help him if you have any kind of board presence when she's flipped, because if the bolt isn't relevant, the upticking, repeating anthem is. Not much can close a game out quicker than turning your Finks and Scoozes into babby Rhinos, and making Goyfs practically unblockable.

Huntmaster/Futapire can help you incrementally when you're behind, with marginal ability to end the game; Cletus/Key and Peele can close things out if you're ahead, while "still able" to swing things back in your favor.

Im not going to call Caitlyn Giraffe a powerful or even playable card, but she seems to be able to be able to fill both roles, and has the advantage of not being linearly fixed into "good at one, marginal at the other," and able to switch gears on the table.
>>
Out of all the cards spoiled, this one seems most likely to show up in Modern to me. It has the right cost for the format, and is an engine card. You will see this appear about as much as other non-Merfolk tribal strategies (i.e. Allies).

Other cards that jump out to me from the new set: Jace, Unraveler of Secrets in Serum Visions decks. I also predict seeing Vessel of Volatility showing up. Probably in a Prowess deck that also runs Tarmogoyf.
>>
>>46303731
you wanna try that sentence again
>>
>>46304927
Put counter->Cast spell.
You never cast under 1 mana.
>>
>>46304845
She just seems really bad if you drop her on turn 4 in such a fast format, at least huntmaster gains you two life and even then he doesn't see as much play as the other 4 drops.
>>
>>46304856
You can't build a deck around having a card in your opener and having it survive. If there is a build of some vampire deck that's already incentivized to discard cards, then it will be good. The existence of the vampire discard deck currently does not.

I would love to dust off my nocturnous's though
>>
>>46304845
I agree that she has more versatility. Which is what I think you were trying to say, underneath all those uncommon nicknames.
>>
>>46302358
That card is Shit

>>46302419
This guy knows
>>
>>46302419
You also cast the spells, so it doesn't even ignore stack interaction
>>
>>46302606
if this is the type of shit that flies in 2016 as "fair", shit must have really hit the fan since I ducked out of MTG in 2010
>>
>>46305059

This is actually a plus tho, given the number of "on cast" triggers.

>>46302419

It has a built-in way to reduce the counters. Yeah it's janky and it's no AEther Vial, but it's far from a bad card.
>>
>>46305067
They stopped printing powerful noncreature spells around then
>>
>>46305012

The idea is that at the deck building phase, you don't know whether or not you're going to be ahead or behind when she becomes relevant.

The versatility means that she can essentially close or catch up, whichever you need, whenever you have her in your hand.
>>
>>46305069
>given the number of "on cast" triggers.
Yeah good luck durdling for 10 turns to get a "free" Ulamog trigger.
>>
Not much related, but I didn't know where else to ask: I remember seeing a MTG-related comic of about 4 to 6 panels that described how the old demographics get alienated by the new ones and I haven't been able to find it since. Anyone have it?
>>
hey senpai. i want top start playing. how much money will i need to spend and what are some places i can buy cards in australia. thanks senpai
>>
>>46305399
depends how casual you want to play, what format and how devoted you are to playing.
You can make casual jank decks for $20 or so, but it isn't going to stand out too much. Goodgames ships cards in Australia but the prices can be ridiculous, just order off TCG player or use the Friday Night Store Finder to find your local game store.
>>
>>46305399
Depends on the format, modern will cost anywhere between 500 and 1000 usd to get access to almost any deck you could want, standard can be had for between 50 and 500 usd, but standard cycles, meaning in a few months some cards you may buy can't be used anymore. Legacy and vintage will cost you well over a thousand usd to be competitive.

Buy your cards online as singles, never try to build a deck out of packs, that's a sure fire way to end up down a couple hundred bucks with fuck all to show fit it.
>>
>>46305628
Joke's on you, the best standard decks are $700+.
>>
>>46305814
Once fetches rotate out decks will be a little more "reasonable"
>>
>>46302518
Hey you whiny retard, Eye wasn't in any "new" set, it's five fucking years old. Shockingly WotC continues not designing sets with Modern in mind and when an old card suddenly breaks the format you people bitch and moan until it gets banned and then whine even harder, so why should they even care? What point are you even trying to make with your garbage post and why did you waste the time to even type it? Everyone scrolling through the thread has become dumber because you felt it necessary to open the lid on your retarded-ass opinions and share them with the damn class. How about next time you think you have something meaningful to contribute to a thread you instead go shove a few more cocks up your ass??
>>
I haven't played MTG since Scourge and was thinking of getting back in. What's the word on the street gotta say about Gatewatch?
>>
>>46303733
Overcosted and you still have to pay the mana for the one in the graveyard

Triggers Prowess and Storm count though, so it might not be bad with cheap spells
>>
>>46305857
Jace will keep it a little high for a while, but avoid blue and you can probably afford it easily, though kolaghan's command and Zendikar's legendary vampires are gaining price too
>>
Still working on Grixis Delvers.
I'm having trouble with what to put on the sideboard. Here's where I'm at now but I'm not very satisfied with the result. Any tips ?

1x Countersquall
2x Dispel
3x Dragon's Claw
3x Duress
1x Engineered Explosives
2x Hurkyl's Recall
2x Rakdos Charm
1x Surgical Extraction
>>
File: 83.jpg (58 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
83.jpg
58 KB, 312x445
Is it a bad idea to try out rogue brews with proxies or just copy one of the winning decks in mtgtop8, buy all of the cards and call it a day?
>>
File: TrollinAutists.jpg (14 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
TrollinAutists.jpg
14 KB, 223x310
>>46305859
Hi Mr Austism hows your Tectonic Edge going? Good i hope, ive provided another link for you

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parody

Take the time to read it and/or similar pages about comedy and sarcasm, again im sorry that your mental illness prohibits you from understanding certain concepts of text or speech i hope i cannprovide you with some asistance, stay classy :^)
>>
File: images(9).jpg (13 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
images(9).jpg
13 KB, 223x310
>be pic releated
>be $30
>be played in 0.14% of the meta
>best result w3 l1 in a modern daily finishing 7th out of 7
Is kitchen table really that expensive now?
>>
>>46302367
It's spoiler season and we are getting new cards in the Modern cardpool, possibly spawning new decks or upgrading current decks. The fuck do you think.

Question will change to metagame discussions after a few weeks of release.
>>
>>46307140
I don't know why Mill is so fucking popular :

>plays like burn but without any interaction
>slower than burn
>randomly loses to Emrakul or Leyline of Sanctity
>enables graveyard decks by itself

I mean fuck, why anywone in its right minde would think it's a good idea to run this garbage.
>>
>>46307140
>>46307319
Mill isn't popular. That card was printed 5ever ago in much smaller numbers than today's are. It's expensive because casual scrubs love mill and this is the best mill card
>>
>>46306600
Neither.
Learn what your local meta is, see what good decks can compete with this. Then find out what your favourite playstyle is and use the deck that falls most in line with that. Straight copying a mtgtop8 deck is bad because most of those are daily wins and are tweeked to beat stuff. check mtgo-stats for averages and mtggoldfish for other averages.
>>
>>46306558
Anyone ?
>>
>>46306558
I have 2 copies of Hibernation in my U/R list for the GW creature decks, as well as Smash to Smithereens, some number of Pithing Needles, and 2 Electrickery for Sisters and Souls decks
>>
>>46307409

Hibernation seems good. What do you run for Burn and Infect ?
>>
>>46307572
A punch in the dick
>>
File: scan_art.jpg (144 KB, 923x800) Image search: [Google]
scan_art.jpg
144 KB, 923x800
Does Burn pack anything to deal with Kor Firewalker? I've been siding it 2/2 with Sanctimony, but with more players splashing green for Destructive Revelry I'm wondering if 4 Firewalkers might be better.
>>
>>46307596
Dismember? Everything else seems to have dismember
>>
>>46307596
Skullcrack and a creature you blocked. Then there's Path but that's it.
>>
File: received_1109691429062509.jpg (22 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
received_1109691429062509.jpg
22 KB, 265x370
I've been looking at pic related as a possible 1-of in UWR or Grixis control, the ability in hand 3 mana for 2 damage isn't great, but its ability to sit dormant in the grave and be relevant later seems very good. It can literally be anything, a counterspell, a bolt, a cryptic, I like the potential.
>>
>>46307606
>>46307626
>opponent loses 4 life
>50% chance of opponent bolting himself
>free land
Any of those sound better than eating 2 damage off Revelry, so 4 walkers it is. Thanks!
>>
File: bolas please end this plane.png (442 KB, 1015x374) Image search: [Google]
bolas please end this plane.png
442 KB, 1015x374
>>
>>46307583
I'm not sure it will work that well.
>>
>>46307349
>mill isn't popular
>casual scrubs love mill
Make up your mind
>>
On the topic of modern mill, why isn't Duskmantle Mindcrank more popular? It's consistent, difficult to hate against and can win on turn 4.
>>
>>46307873
>difficult to hate against
Are you implying no one who plays modern runs Ancient Grudge?
>>
>>46307596
>>46307606
Dismember works, ive been brewing rakdos burn with dismember, kolaghan's command and tasigur, they never expect black in burn its slightly slower but hasnt been too bad
>>
File: traversetheulvenwald.jpg (46 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
traversetheulvenwald.jpg
46 KB, 265x370
>What SOI card do you think is the real deal?
>>
>>46307873
>>46307873
I think it's kinda like Storm in that both pieces get hit by Spell Snare/Remand/Spell Pierce, and the permanent-based parts of the combo need time to get charged up and are easy to remove.
>>
>>46302518
You just extremely salty that all your expensive snobby archetypes are getting steamrolled by $2 draft chaff.
>>
>>46307873
The problem is that if Mill ever become really popular strategy, a single Emrakul in the sideboard just invalidates the whole deck.
>>
>>46308407
The Duskmantle combo mills, but doesn't win by milling. The opponent loses life for each card dumped in the yard.
>>
>>46308437
Right I forget about that. Well, like >>46308338 said, it's a bit like storm. You can net a turn 4 win but you need your opponent to not have any answers. in hand.
>>
>>46308240
That artwork is fucking ass, it's boring and samey. From the other side of the table, I have trouble telling Traverse and Cryptolith Rite apart.
>>
Gitrog is gonna bring dredge to top tier. Maro is gonna have a seizure when dredge wins a modern event. It will be fatal. Dredge will save magic.
>>
File: asylumvisitor.jpg (40 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
asylumvisitor.jpg
40 KB, 265x370
Let's see

>Asylum Visitor
Even if the ability doesn't get online it is a 3/1 for 1B. Madness enables pseudo flash. It plays absurdely well with LotV and Kommand. It is kind of a reversed Bob. It gets much better lategame than Bob.
Cards at 2cmc with such aggressive stats and nothing but pure upside have a history of ending up being quite good (BoB, Snappy, Peeves). My bets are on this thing entering expensive Jund lists.

>Sin Prodder
Everyone and their mother is debating their ass off. It is a punisher mechanic and it can end up doing nothing.
But when I saw the PrePreRelease and how a revealed 6 drop was just 6 damage or a card out of thin air - well, I can see him in Grixis lists. In modern, revealing an Angler is quite brutal. And filling your GY with stuff fuels possible Anglers or your Snappys. In my opinion this card can be good in grindy games - people thinking about aggro are on the wrong track imo.

>Traverse the Ulvenwald
It looks efficient, it looks strong... I just feel like Delirium is a trap. Throught the weeks I casually looked for how often I saw Delirium active. It took some time and especially the more linear decks had a really hard time getting there. (Zoo, Burn).
I feel like people are falsely thinking, that Tarmo being so huge most of the time translates to "Delirium will naturally occur". Goyf counts both graveyards however.

>Thing in the Ice
It will work in UR aggro/tempo strategies. It is solid. Just not the second coming of Jesus like people try to argue at some places.
It is a constructed playable card, but it will not break anything.

I myself will look out for a playset (foil if possible) of Visitor. It fits a lot of criterias of a good card (2cmc, creature, good stats, possible upside) it lacks immediate value, but with madness you could argue that there are possible scenarios where you "flash" it in and immediatly draw an extra card
>>
>>46308592
Sin plodder is a grixis delver control card through and through.
>>
>>46308592

I really like the prospect of Sin Prodder coupled with shit like Batterskull, Tasigur and Gurmar angler.

Asylum Victor also looks pretty great, I can't wait to play it in 8rack
>>
>>46308592
Did you ever try playing traverse the ulvenvald with snapcasters and goyfs?
The card feels insane.
>>
>>46302606
>Sorcery
>Top tier removal
I've been gone for the past few months, has everyone here become this retarded?
>>
>>46304246
>Zoo deck
>4 mana do-nothing walker
No m8, please don't talk about decks you have never touched.
>>
>>46308725
Maybe it fits into RUG Delver then?

I don't know - just as I wrote I think Delirium is a shitty Goyf-mechanic and a trap.
I have to admit on the other hand that I have very little experience with anything involving green.
You might be right. Card is solid assuming you can safely use it to it's full potential.
>>
>>46307140
Casuals love mill, they think that every time they mill card they deny you a draw and they think that when they mill a card you like you will get butthurt and they will win.

Plus I think that when tiny memes was made this card spiked but hasn't recovered since the format died.
>>
File: 20151125_001348.jpg (767 KB, 946x1220) Image search: [Google]
20151125_001348.jpg
767 KB, 946x1220
>>46308592
On the topic of Delerium: consider Threshold. I believe it is comparable, easier to achieve and, if attached to the right card, extremely payable in nonrotating formats.
>>
>>46308881
There will never be a set with both powerful threshold cards and powerful drive cards. Feels bad man.
>>
>>46308822
I think if you run it, you need some toolbox creatures too, it won't work in a delver shell but temur is a good start
>>
>>46308881
Threshold wasn't accountable to your deckbuilding. Lands are easy enough but to have all the rest (typically creature-sorc-instant) without some sort of selfmill and deck building hoops in time (turn 3 or so) for it to be relevant in a format like modern is not easy or worth it.

I mean none of the cards with Delerium really jumped at like, making me think they were busted. Traverse is basically a Worldly Tutor minus card disadvantage you have to jump through hoops to get online (meaning you will never cast it t1 which is alot of the power of Worldly)
>>
>>46308822
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think it is just a matter of what deck you play.

Like I suggested here >>46308822
I might be underestimating how certain RUG and Grixis lists already are running cantrips or Goyf fodder like ThoughtScour, Probe and naturally Fetches.

Traverse might make a solid entry into RUG lists it seems.

And regarding Sin Prodder and >>46308722
The more I think about this the more I am sold on him.
Grixis lists run so much interaction that makes the punishing factor almost non existant.
>Bolt into the yard - Snap it back
>Snap in the yard - Kommand him back
>Kommand in the yard - Bolt no.5
And everything else is just fodder for your Banana Mans and Anglers.

Really looking forward to anyone trying him in said lists.
>>
>>46307319
>plays like burn but without any interaction
>Look how I empty my hand on opponents face
:^3
>>
>>46309007
First quote was meant to be >>46308881
>>
>>46309010
Burn can bolt creatures you stupid fuck.
>>
>>46309027
There's no point though.
>>
>>46303733
I agree but I think it might be viable for a build-around
>>
>>46309010
>>46309065
>there's people too dumb to play burn right
I hope you're both the same person.
>>
>>46309065
>I have never played Burn
>>
>>46308592
>Sin prodder
Putting aside the fact that Grixis lists that run bananman/zombie fish have really really fallen out of favor since before the eldrazi and even after the ban I don't see it being all that good, I feel like the card quality of Modern is good enough where you will always feel bad when your opponent takes the hit instead of letting you draw the card and combine that with the fact that cmcs are way lower from other formats, I really don't like it

Also take into account that the body is really really meh which would be okay if he was a 2 drop like bob but he is a 3 drop and 3 drop utility creatures are rarely good enough.

Also consider that modern is a very sideboard defined format, meaning that your sideboard slots mean alot and you are not gonna pack 3-4 hate cards against X deck so the Prodder milling of them is no biggie, hate cards come 1 or 2 offs meaning that if he reveals one it could mean the game is lost right there and there.

A bit unrelated, but in a limited game I would much much rather have a castable 6 drop than 6 damage to the opponents face.
>>
>>46309065
If you opponent can race you faster with creature, especially if they have lifelink, you have to bolt them down.

Same thing with combo pieces : If you play against CoCo you want to bolt down Anafenza/Melira on turn two.
>>
File: en_OjQqvbB594.png (167 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
en_OjQqvbB594.png
167 KB, 265x370
>two mana for a 2/1 flier with flash that gives all Spirits flash, that can give itself hexproof or another spirit hexproof

Literally leave two mana floating for draw-go and flash in a creature at the end of their turn if you want.

It's pretty fucking great.
>>
>>46309139
Wow bro you just busted the format, spirits tier 0 incoming!

But seriously, a good card doesn't a good tribal deck make.
>>
>>46309166
You're a fucking retard if you think you need to play spirit tribal for this card to be good.
>>
>>46309139
topplegeist too oppressive
>>
>>46309166
A normal person sees this as "amazing creature to play in counterspell combo deck" rather than "wow spirit tribal".
>>
>>46309139
Where would you run this ? You need enought spirits to make it worth playing and none are really good right now except maybe Geist but it allready has exproof anyway.

>>46309178
The Eldrazi 2/1 flier with flash from OGW didn't see any play and is objectively better than this outside of a spirit shell.
>>
File: Image.ashx.png (124 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Image.ashx.png
124 KB, 223x311
>>46309178
>>46309194
Okay, so you want to play a 2 mana 2/1 flyer with flash? Why? You think that is a good card?

What the fuck am I reading?
>>
>>46309133
But you would agree that, if he finds a home, it would be said lists?

The body is meh for a 3cmc. But overall, with a lot of possible boardstates, he just puts a -3 on your opponents life total. Which might be enough to make your opponent really think if he wants to deny you that Angler.

I agree with you about sideboard cards. This is a total nonbo.
>>
>>46309133
>hate cards come 1 or 2 offs meaning that if he reveals one it could mean the game is lost right there and there.

Are you one of those casual scrubs who thinks mill denies people cards? Even if you only have one or two copies of a card in your deck, mill does not make you less likely to draw those cards. It's just as likely to mill the card covering your silver bullet enabling you to draw it. And if the silver bullet does get milled, that's at the very least valuable information even if you're not running any flashback effects.
>>
>>46309166
Except for Bitterblossom in the case of Lorywn Standard Faeries.

Just saying.
>>
>>46309246
This card can't make itself hexproof, nor does it give your Geist of St. Traft flash.
>>
>>46309133
>Putting aside the fact that Grixis lists that run bananman/zombie fish have really really fallen out of favor since before the eldrazi and even after the ban I don't see it being all that good, I feel like the card quality of Modern is good enough where you will always feel bad when your opponent takes the hit instead of letting you draw the card

But you don't lose any card advantage, you just dome them for a large amount of damage.
>>
>>46309134
>If you play against CoCo you want to bolt down Anafenza/Melira on turn two.
you mean 'in response to the first persist trigger when they attempt to combo off'
>>
>>46309294
Not him but I think it would be good in a Grixis shell yes. It's card advantage on a body, just like bob.

Actually I'm really liking the idea of a Grixis Controll deck with Prodder and Visitor in, Lili to breack symetry and a substential number of big delvers.
>>
>>46309324
UG fairies was dominating in Extended and it didn't run Bitterblossom tho
>>
>>46309294
>>But you would agree that, if he finds a home, it would be said lists?
Ehhh, it has the highest chance. But what would you cut from a stock lists, (again even assuming that the deck would be good enough to even play)? The lists are tight having 1-2 slots to flex (like how chapin ran 1 Shadow of Doubt) and also run alot of 1 offs.

>>46309309
Nigga what the fuck are you talking about? I was talking about the specific scenerio where he reveals a sideboard card you have 1 or 2 copies of.
> It's just as likely to mill the card covering your silver bullet enabling you to draw it
Getting your sideboard hate 1 or 2 turns later is preferable to not getting it at all.

Have you people never played bananaman in a BGx deck with 4 bobs? I mean the stupid and unwarranted risk in that scenerio is that you may take 6 to the head, the stupid and unwarranted risk in running Sin Prowler with sideboard cards in is that you may lose the game.
>>
>>46309409
>in Lorwyn Standard

Also even in Extended UB Fae was very much a thing. UB Fae is so much the poster child for faeries that it's easy to forget UG Fae existed, or that there was ever a time Faeries wasn't all about t1 Thoughtseize/AV -> t2 Bitterblossom -> t3 play rest of game on opponent's turn.
>>
File: 194764023808.png (176 KB, 484x360) Image search: [Google]
194764023808.png
176 KB, 484x360
>>46309341
>>Large amount of damage
>Modern
>High cmc
>>
>>46308407
There's also kill-mill which only cares about getting roughly 10+ cards into your yard so it can swing bigger creatures at you.
>>
>>46309453
>Getting your sideboard hate 1 or 2 turns later is preferable to not getting it at all.

Then consider the case where your sideboard hate is 4 cards down. Without Prodder, you'll draw it four turns later -- after the game is over -- which is to say you'll never draw it at all. With Prodder, you draw it on the second turn.

There is no situation where Prodder will deny you a card from your deck assuming you don't know the order of your deck. It simply means you start drawing every other card in your deck, which changes nothing when every face down card is equally likely to be the card you need.
>>
>>46309324
>Mistbind Clique
>Sower
>Spellstutter
>Mutavault
>Clique
>Not good cards
>>
>>46309456
>Faeries wasn't all about t1 Thoughtseize/AV -> t2 Bitterblossom -> t3 play rest of game on opponent's turn.

I miss these days ;_;

>>46309489
Gurmag Angler, Tasigur and Murderous Cut are all played in Grixis and have pretty high CMC
>>
>>46309540
Oh they're good alright.
They're fucking disgustingly good when you have Bitterblossom advantage.
>>
File: nui rolleye.jpg (105 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
nui rolleye.jpg
105 KB, 1280x720
>>46309331
>goose on the loose is FINALLY playable...THANKS TO RATTLECHAINS
>>
>>46309489
Delve cards you nitwit.

Also dismember, and leylines.
>>
Let's face it, Modern is never going to get any new good staples because WotC made it a policy to never reprint 4 CMC unconditional wraths, 1-2 mana spot removal, 2 mana counterspells, efficient 1-2 mana creatures, good <5 CMC walkers and so on. The only way new archetypes are born will be by cheating (like Eye of Ugin/Temple + shitty Eldrazi that suddenly become playable when they cost 2 less) or accidental mistakes.
>>
>>46309568
The original point was the 1 good card doesn't make a tribal deck of that card type good, you said expect Lorywn fairies but now you are saying that that deck ran other good cards?

What? How is that an exception if the deck also ran other good creatures of the same tribe?
>>
>>46309977
He was talking about the CMC for the damage trigger on the devil, not the fact that its a 6cmc card being cast.
>>
>>46302207
>There are people who Exist that hate affinity
I dont get why, its one on the only Consistent aggro decks in modern,plus there is so much you can sideboard in to shit on it.
>>
I'm probably going to buy into Kiki Chord. Stop me/sell me.

I tried to proxy the deck and I had a blast. The only thing that worries me is that it haven't seen any real results aside from Boohoogland top8'ing three SCG opens in a row. Is it because the deck struggles pretty hard vs memedrazi? Can it be a t1 deck on it's own?
>>
>>46310105
>aggro deck
You answered yourself. Plus it's very linear and some would say braindead outside of knowing math.

I like it tho, more to play against than to with at least.
>>
>>46310007
>WotC made it a policy to never reprint 4 CMC unconditional wraths
When? Supreme Verdict wasn't that long ago.
>efficient 1-2 mana creatures
How is Asylum Visitor not efficient?
>good <5 CMC walkers
Sad Sorin is two bloody blocks ago.
>>
>>46303608
Basically this. It's why Theros not adding many Modern played cards didn't shock me, at this stage a card needs to be utter bullshit to even be worth considering in Modern.
>>
>>46310007
What Modern needs is a deck powerfull enought to get tier 1 that punishes creature strategies hard so that people start playing something else. Then the meta would be more diverse and a bit slower.

To achieve that they need to print efficient mini-wrath effects for other colors than just red. Right now, Black has some but they are situational at best, every other colors has nothing.
>>
>>46310135
Most decks in modern are pretty braindead.
>Modern junk exploits infinite combos that you just have to draw into or cheat out on the field
>When Splinter twinwas legal it was literally just a turn 4 infinite
ANyone who hates aFfinity is just some combopussy blue player
>>
>>46310133
Did any of the staples spike since December/November or so? I have been gone since then but if they haven't then I see little reason to not go for it given that it isn't that $$$.
>>
>>46310148
>Sorin

Even Zendikar Gideon can see play in token decks.
>>
>>46310148
>Asylum Visitor
Poor man's Dark Confident. Barely above Pain Seer.
>>
>>46310105
People don't like affinity because it's fucking everywhere. It's always been a presence in modern, never the best deck, but (almost) always tier one. I play it and I think it's great fun to pilot, however.
>>
>>46310105
Affinity is always over represented where I play(around 4/5 in a 20 person room) so you're almost guaranteed to play against it
the part I dont like is the braindead players who win because they get nut draws which you cant do anything about
>>
>>46310148
Asylum Visitor is probably not the best example since it can easily turn out to be just shitty Confidant
But we got Swiftspear which fills the 1-2 mana category.
>>
>>46310148
>When? Supreme Verdict wasn't that long ago.
Amigo RTR was 4 years and MaRo said on his blog that they are moving away from 4 mana wraths since then.
>Sad Sorin is two bloody blocks ago.
Nigga come on now, a fringe playable card (1-2 off) in a literal tier 4 deck? Is that your definition of good? Fucking Eggs is a higher tier as of this moment on goldfish as opposed to tokens.
>>
>>46310167
Skred
>>
>>46310167
INNOCENT BLOOD WHEN?
>>
>>46310214
What Variation do you play?
Im making one and I was thinking either Blue red Variation or Boros.
>>
>>46310148
>When? Supreme Verdict wasn't that long ago.
RTR was almost 4 years ago.

>How is Asylum Visitor not efficient?
a 2 mana 3/1 that doesn't do anything until either players are hellbent? Where's the efficiency?
>>
>>46310249
Skred straight up looses to Combo decks like Ad Nauseam tho. That's why I was saying that other colors than Red need good wrath effects.
>>
>>46310053
Because while those individual cards were good, they didn't really bring together the Faeries deck so much as a selection of faeries pushed enough that you could staple them to other decks and be good for it. Not like Bitterblossom, the key card of -the- Faeries deck.

Ergo, Bitterblossom is the one good card that made a good tribal deck.
>>
>>46310007
I should mention that 1 CMC mana dorks are too good for Standard and 2 CMC mana dorks that tap for different kinds of mana are considered rare. That's right, Arbor Elf or Llanowar Elves are too good for Standard. I don't know what future Magic is headed into but it sounds like a slow grindfest with shitty 4-5 CMC enchantments, 6 CMC planeswalkers and Force of Nature as a "bomb". How exciting. But nothing in store for Modern.
>>
>>46310372
Technically Faeries needs three Faeries cards to really operate; Bitterblossom, Spellstutter Sprite and Mistbind Clique. Clique is what actually kills people. Faeries also didn't see any real play after the Blossom ban and I reckon it's as playable in Modern with or without the Blossom.

I wish Faerie Miscreants was a slightly better card, if only it said 'another faerie'
>>
>>46310298
I just play a stock list with 4 MoE for my 3 drops and 3 Galv Blasts and 1 Spellskite in the flex slots.
>>
>>46310372
I think Faeries would have been a deck in that standard even without bitter, just not tier0 dominating level deck. Sprite and the 2 Cliques had enough power to carry the deck into tier 1.5 or so
>>
>>46310425
It's a shame that MClique is nearly useless in Modern.
>>
>>46310418
Actually you should expect bombier 3cmc stuff now that Standard doesn't get to ramp into 3 on t2.

>>46310425
Faeries' playability is largely a function of how much the pilot is willing to git gud with it, which no money-raker would want to do. Legitimately the high skill floor puts a damper on its ability to be viably played, for comparion Jund is the textbook 50/50 deck and it gives you more room to fuck up without going into a cascading failure state.

>>46310483
Eh, Spellstutter and Mistbind kinda become jankier without BB, and Scion of Oona was godly in that Standard from what I've heard (compared to Extended where you wanted VClique to disrupt combo nonsense and other things, Lorwynmoor Standard was more a beat shit senseless scenario which favored Scion).
>>
>>46310456
How does it work for you and what matchups doyou stuggle vs?
>>
>>46310199

>>46310300
Bob
>a 2 mana 2/1 that doesn't do anything until next turn and might kill me? where's the efficiency?

Snap
>a 2 mana 2/1 that needs me to have mana open and a spell in the yard? where's the efficiency?

I am NOT saying Visitor is a Bob or a Snappy!

But a very aggressive (3/1) creature at 2cmc that has two upsides that generate advantage is what I'd call efficient
>>
>>46310526
It's not too bad, there are just better things you can be doing. Faeries isn't my_first_brew.dec. I like to give credit where credit's due; Faeries is a damn good deck, it just lives in a format filled with fucking awesome decks.

>>46310540
Very much this. Faeries is the Magic equivalent of third edition Dark Eldar; very powerful but when you start to fuck up it's very difficult to unfuck it, you tend to keep just fucking up harder.
>>
>>46310634
Even trying comparing the upside of bob and snap to that card shows how desperate and lacking in valid points you are.

Like comparing a drop of water to a lake.
>>
>>46310649
But 40k is entirely random and has little to no player skill involved
>>
>>46310634
also to reply to the Pain Seer comparison

Pain Seers upside came at a huge cost, namely attacking with it
it is not even debatable how Visitor is miles ahead of Pain Seer

if anything was a bad Bob it was Pain Seer
Visitor is a different card for a different archetype
>>
>>46310668
well, I see my valid points being:
2cmc
great stats 3/1
madness upside
possible card draw upside on each upkeep

so we have great cost, great stats and two upsides

your points are?
>>
>>46310678
Third ed wasn't too bad, but I do get your point.
>>
>>46310649
>It's not too bad, there are just better things you can be doing.
Fae steamrolled other aggro decks in Standard/Extended because MClique's ETB stopped your opponent from casting sorcery-speed spells, like all non-Faerie creatures.

In Modern, Control will counter it, combo will ignore it and aggro will LOLCHORD. The only time its ability comes into play is against Jund/Eldrazi, and even there it eats Dismember like a chump.
>>
>>46310547
My lgs is pretty hostile toward affinity. There's like 3-4 infect players, 2 Abzan Company players, 2 Storm players, 1 Grishoalbrand player. Those are the matchups that give me some trouble. I think there's 1 Eldrazi player though I haven't played him, and a few other decks here and there. Sometimes I go 3-0, often I go 2-1, I went 1-2 once. Most of my losses there was nothing I could have done except possibly mulligan, which might be the right thing to do. I'm also still trying to configure my sideboard for my lgs. Unfortunately most of my matches is all about who can goldfish first. There are very few players who play decks that interacts in my lgs.
>>
>>46310771
>In Modern, Control will counter it
It actually really won't, Control is Faeries natural prey, it's actually a spectacularly bad matchup for them.
>>
>>46310634
>Bob
>a 2 mana 2/1 that doesn't do anything until next turn and might kill me? where's the efficiency?
You get value from it if it lives for one turn, and without fulfilling any other condition.

Asylum visitor not only needs to live for one turn, but you also have to be hellbent, and it allows your opponent to draw if they are hellbent.

>Snap
>a 2 mana 2/1 that needs me to have mana open and a spell in the yard? where's the efficiency?
>a spell in the yard
which is going to happen by... just playing the fucking game.
>needs me to have mana open
doesn't even mean anything.

>But a very aggressive (3/1) creature at 2cmc that has two upsides that generate advantage is what I'd call efficient
The upside requires a lot from you.
>>
>>46310706
That the 2 upsides and both very conditional (unless build around) and minor in the case of madness.

If you didn't start playing the game at Theros you would know that reliable effects are the ones that make cards great. Rhino drains 3 for sure, snap always flashes something back, bob always draws you a card at the start of the turn, Noble always pumps and give you mana.
>>
File: 1436947742631.png (196 KB, 447x329) Image search: [Google]
1436947742631.png
196 KB, 447x329
>>46310889
>>Asylum visitor not only needs to live for one turn, but you also have to be hellbent, and it allows your opponent to draw if they are hellbent.
Read the card you fucking retard.
>>
File: 22.jpg (61 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
22.jpg
61 KB, 312x445
You guys are forgetting someone
>>
>>46310938
Oh, i did misread. It still doesn't matter, the rest of my point still stands.
>>
>>46310955
Asylum Visitor doesn't require you to be in topdeck mode, and can be cast off Liliana. Blood Scrivener is almost strictly worse.
>>
>>46308847
>they think that when they mill a card you like you will get butthurt

that's funny because the only guy in our kitchen table group who plays (and loves) mill is the one whose only goal while playing games is to piss-off the other players.
>>
>>46310982
But is Asylum Visitor a Zombie Wizard?
Didn't think so
>>
>>46311054
Check mate
>>
>>46311026
Introduce him to Prison. I like the control aspects of it, but people ragequit to it pretty often.
>>
File: the_bane_of_tempo.jpg (65 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
the_bane_of_tempo.jpg
65 KB, 312x445
>>46310812
>Fae
>A slow, shitty Tempo deck with no CA or reach
>Good against control
UWR is packing too much efficient removal for you to get anywhere with your X/1s. Your best bet is to land an early BB off a turn one discard spell.

Esper is even more of a beating for Fae. They have CA to outgrind you, uncounterable Wraths, Esper Charm to remove BB, 3-4 Spell Snares to win counter wars. It's awful.

Now, in theory Faeries SHOULD be good against control, but in practice the anti-aggro tools control has are much better than the tempo tools faeries has in Modern.
>>
>>46311170
>a watered down burn deck
>a nonexistent Esper Charm deck

>control
>>
Is it worth splashing black against combo decks as Skred ? Feels like an auto-lose if you don't.
>>
File: images.jpg (4 KB, 210x118) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4 KB, 210x118
http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/332312921/
/v/ is laughing at us again
>>
>>46311286
You can win with ratchet bomb, blood moon or just moving to aggro mode

It's not an auto lose. Black doesn't offer much and you lose reckoner
Some lists don't play the cow but those lists are wrong
>>
>>46311093
Staxx/Prison decks and dredge are the shitplayer identifier. Not as designated as dredge, but can do.
>>
>>46311286
What combo decks? Storm and ad nauseum? Those decks are rare and bad anyway
>>
>>46311338
Legacy Stax and Modern Prison play completely differently and have only 3 cards in common.
>>
>>46311285
What are you trying to say here? That those decks aren't control decks? That there are other, better control decks in modern?
>>
>>46311395
>rare
but they exist

>bad
lol no.

>>46311311
If Blood Moon is the best option, is it worth to run some rituals/SSG to get it out earlier ?
Also, splashing Black doesn't mean that you have to get rid of cow. Having a couple of snow covered swamps and a playset of fetchs doesn't introduce enought variance to make Reckoner unplayable turn 3
>>
>>46311633
I run 2-3 guides in my list
>>
>>46309005
I wonder if it could be used to make a good Crypt of Agadeem deck? Crypt already wants to mill itself and desperately needs more consistency with getting a crypt out.
>>
>>46303608
>4 cmc is bad
>twin was the best deck in modern for a long while and run 4 of
> cryptic command is the premium counterspell in modern
> tendríls of agony is unplayable in legacy for your standard
>>
I don't know if this is the correct MtG thread but I recently got into the game and I am loving it, but I have two big questions right now.

1. When I summon a creature using my mana pool, am I then required to use that mana pool to actually get the creature to attack? For instance: X monster requires 1 swamp plus two others. I tap my swamp and two plains for mana and summon the creature. Next turn am I then required to tap the same mana to inflict some damage on my opponent?

2. If my creature has am ability, for instance one that requires 1 swamp to activate and it let's me summon am Eldrazi Scion or some other bullshit, is that creature then tapped and unable to attack? Or am I able to activate their ability with mana and then attack right afterwards unless the description states otherwise?

Thanks in advance!
>>
>>46311964
>twin
>wins the game on the spot

>cryptic
>is an instant, not a do-nothing engine enchantment
>still clunky in some MUs

>tendrils
>implying storm cares about CMC the way a normal deck does

4/10 made me reply
>>
>>46312053
Well you are the one that says 4+ cmc is bad.
>>
>>46311994
>When I summon a creature using my mana pool, am I then required to use that mana pool to actually get the creature to attack? For instance: X monster requires 1 swamp plus two others. I tap my swamp and two plains for mana and summon the creature. Next turn am I then required to tap the same mana to inflict some damage on my opponent?
Yes
>If my creature has am ability, for instance one that requires 1 swamp to activate and it let's me summon am Eldrazi Scion or some other bullshit, is that creature then tapped and unable to attack? Or am I able to activate their ability with mana and then attack right afterwards unless the description states otherwise?
Normally uou have to wait a turn but if you pay it's cost again (so 2 black skull faces) then you can attack the turn you invoked the monster.

But seriously now you are looking for the Judge thread.
>>
>>46312088
4+ CMC is bad for cards that are sorcery speed and have no immediate effect, which was the anon who you replied to's point. There's a reason Jace's Sanctum isn't played in Storm, and Jeskai Ascendancy only supports a fringe archetype. It's not the effects on the cards, it's their mana cost. One of the reasons Pod was so powerful was because it could be played T2 off of a mana dork.
>>
>>46312148
Thanks for answering that guys questions for me.
>>46311994
There's also creature tokens like the scions that are mana less, so they don't require continued payment and can attack each turn
>>
File: 1454923128681.png (11 KB, 120x120) Image search: [Google]
1454923128681.png
11 KB, 120x120
>>46310955
Straight into my tier 1 wizard tribal
>>
>>46312148
Why are you lying? You don't pay mana costs again to attack
>>
>>46302207
Been trying narset in uwr control but as a 1 off with emrakul
Have never draw her in any game
>>
>>46312608
> i mean Nahiri
>>
>>46312608
can you really afford a dead draw with emrakul?
>>
>>46310057
I know. The fact is you can pack a deck with good cards that have a high cmc but don't require a lot of mana to cast. You can have high cmc in modern.
>>
File: Espers Command.jpg (45 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Espers Command.jpg
45 KB, 375x523
Does a card like this make esper control viable?
>>
>>46313337
more or less, was good against a guy runing mill that made me discard and i choose it
>>
>>46313568
Fuck off please
>>
>>46313568
Fuck off
>>
>>46313568
F U C K O F F
U
C
K
O
F
F
>>
File: 1457617697246_0.jpg (37 KB, 479x349) Image search: [Google]
1457617697246_0.jpg
37 KB, 479x349
>>46313568
>>
>>46313568
Why don't you do everyone a favor and fuck off?
>>
>>46313694 me
>>46313704 me
>>46313715 me
>>46313723 me
>>46313736 me
All me niggas, every single post
>>
>>46313847
Not even possible
>>
File: Bants Command.jpg (42 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Bants Command.jpg
42 KB, 375x523
>>46313694
>>46313704
>>46313715
That is not very nice. Could you atleast explain what is wrong with the card if you don't like it? How about this card? Would this make a Bant control deck viable?
>>
>>46313873
I use multiple ips for my shitposting, you fucking pleb.
>>
>>46313957
>1 sided board wipe for 4
>board wipe and draw 2 for 4
Jesus Christ dude, smdh
>>
Is it worth it to buy a Modern Masters 2015 box? Are the commons/uncommons decent enough that you can get many staples like Path or Terminate out of the boosters?
>>
File: Capture+_2016-03-28-14-59-35.png (639 KB, 1440x2392) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2016-03-28-14-59-35.png
639 KB, 1440x2392
>>46313847
>>
>>46314008
NOPE
O
P
E
>>
Stop being a dick to him, guys, he simply doesn't know any better

>>46313957
Oh, you poor, poor thing, fuck off
>>
>>46314006
It's le effective cost of 3Colored/Other colored anon :v)
>>
>>46302207

Olivia in Jund

3/3 flying for 3 that can buff your stuff and fuel delve
>>
>>46314006
But it is for an awkward color combination. I think those two things would be fine since there is so little that could be used with it.
>>
Was considering getting rid of my tron deck for infect if eye of ugin is banned. Is this a good idea? What infect deck is better, blue green or black blue green?
>>
>>46307694
How will it see play in any format other than standard when any bounce or flicker effect puts the enemy back at least two turns and at worst four cards? Sure no one in modern runs those now but if this ever becomes popular the efficiency of those cards means it'll be hated out hard.
>>
>>46314174
Anon, are you fucking retarded?
It'd spawn a deck that lives off getting bant's command off.
>Lol I wipe ur board and also get free cards!
>Lol I wipe ur board and keep mine
>Lol I avoid lethal of your hand AND wipe your board!
>Lol I stop your combo and draw 2.
>>
>>46314207
Eye won't take the ban, Temple will.
>>
>>46314247

Temple isn't OP though, and never does anythng more than 2 mana a turm
>>
>>46314247
Eye is the broken card, enabling the dreaded
>T1: Eye MIMIC MIMIC MIMIC MIMIC
>T2: Urborg Thought-Knot "swing for sixteen"
>>
>>46314288
Eye allows explosive starts but no T2 TKS bullshit, which Temple does. Once you have an eye any other eye is basically dead weight in your hand.
>>
>>46314323
>T2: Urborg Thought-Knot "swing for sixteen"
But that's wrong, TKS requires colorless mana which neither Eye nor Urborg provides.
>>
>>46314323
That literally never happens though. If you were playing Eldrazi, think for a second, would you rather have a hand with 2 eyes in it or 2 temples in it. While yes, eye allows for 4 mimics turn 1, that's really not a common play, and you're not getting a turn 2 thought knot without a temple.
>>
The problem with eye you retards is that it generates more than 2 mana a turn. Every eldrazi you cast off it in the same turn is 2 mana it generated. Eldrazi temple is only ever 2 mana. Eye is 2, 4, 6, and a tutor.

Seriously the only people who try to argue against an eye ban are tronfags. And fuck those guys. Tron needs to go too, and 96% of modern agrees with me there.
>>
>>46314494
Except Eye makes 2-3 cards (other eyes) in your deck useless. You only ever get a single eye which makes the deck much less consistent than if you had a bunch of temples.
>>
>>46314494
Depending on the ban it willl go like this
>Temple ban
Eldrazi play a lot like Affinity
>Eye ban
Eldrazi play larger creatures
Honestly I hope thhey just ban eye
>>
>>46314494
>>46314571
This issue also is compounded with the four urborgs you have to play. Temple makes the deck much more consistent despite 8 of the lands being legendary.
>>
w/e happens I just hope Eldrazi Processor is still a deck. That deck is cool.
>>
>>46314584
I see it being the other way around. Whats the point of playing abunch of small affinity like creatures if what the deck does is just worse than affinity? I can see eye instead making the deck go back to a more midrange like strategy as eye still allows for the processor decks to be good but the fast mimic plays to be too weak.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 44

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.