[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hotline miami rpg system
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
File: ba3.jpg (227 KB, 667x1000) Image search: [Google]
ba3.jpg
227 KB, 667x1000
what's the best system to play a hotline miami game?
>>
File: Not Pardo.png (4 KB, 255x287) Image search: [Google]
Not Pardo.png
4 KB, 255x287
>>46300608
I need to know too, good sirs.
>>
>>46300608
Everyone is John
>>
>>46300991
something more cerebral, lots of violent action, and possibly investigating why you're attacking, and slowing the crumbling of your psyche
>>
>>46300608

Slasher Flick.

You don't play the hitman. You play the mooks he ploughs through.
>>
>>46300608
what aspects of Hotline Miami do want to emulate in a Table top RPG
>>
Probably something fast and cinematic like Savage Worlds.
>>
File: Hell Vice Merciless.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Hell Vice Merciless.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46300608
Here is this thing, kinda insane but I've played it once but I altered it a bit to be a SWAT team raiding places Rainbow Six style. I've got some notes somewhere to make it more playable.
>>
>>46301377
can you try to find the notes? I'd apperciate that
>>46301293
the element of decay and mental degradation, along with the act of killing and sheer brutal violence, with hints of something more
>>
>>46301437
Call of Cthulhu comes to mind
>>
>>46300991
I actually really like this answer. This would be a really cool way to try this out.
>>
>>46301509
less horror, and more just brain functionality going over time, to the point where you cant differenciate between cutting steak and killing
>>
>>46300608
LARP
>>
>>46304604
The correct answer; get some masks, some music, and off you go. See you and your gaming group on the news tomorrow, OP!
>>
>>46300608
Any system where you have only one HP or equivalent.
>>
File: Tony.png (878 KB, 3000x3000) Image search: [Google]
Tony.png
878 KB, 3000x3000
>>46301293
>>46301437
Speed, rhythm of play, high mortality (although I think that lack of penalty for death works only in video game), danger, mystery.
But i'd rather emulate the feeling, not the game. No letting the player(s) know where the enemies are (lack of maps). Each building level would start as carte blanche, PCs stand at the doorstep, put the masks on: the music starts playing. GM has to come up with rooms on the fly, change the enviroment constantly. Killing goes on, and either they finish the level by storming through and doing what they come from in time, or song ends, they adrenaline/rush/drugs they are on wears off and they fall unconcious where they stand.
Everyone who died goes silent, but by the next building somehow live again.
Mechanic of resolution would need to be one die to be as fast as possible. three stats at most, let's say eye, muscle and something appropriate for quickness, with mods ranging from -1 through 0 to +1. No initiative, just flow. No designed combat rolls, everything is counted as skill check: throwing, hacking, slicing, shooting.
As for the music, pieces from OST such as musikk2, hydrogen, technoir, divide and voyager from the second one. Sprinkle with your choices, from some 80's rock to fucking werewolf asso (The Tito Beltrán Massacre!).
Would have a strong indie feeling and longer sessions would be tiring to not possible, but for occasional oneshots in a room iluminated by pink neons it's really doable.
>>
Don't you die on me
>>
>>46304604
>>46304793
I think one of these Anons is the one that told a larper the other day to break his political rival's kneecaps with a real lead pipe.
>>
>>46301319
This.
There's a sanity meter option, combat is bloody and can be made moreso, stuff resolves very fast if you know your four times table
>>
GURPS lite.
>>
>>46300608
Savage Worlds, but with the following twists.

1: There are no wounds or shaken. Shaken equals death. Death equals splatter and drawing another initiative card.
2: Wild Cards get two initiative cards and act on both.
>>
File: Violence RPG.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Violence RPG.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46300608
>>
File: The Hard Way.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
The Hard Way.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46306768
>costikyan meme game
No, bad. If we're going indie use this
>>
>>46306804
>meme game
You want to rephrase that in a less retarded way, faggot?
>>
>>46306713
to be honest here, breaking a kneecap with a fake lead pipe isn't really effective
>>
>>46306823
>YEAR THIS ONE
>not communicating exclusively using nuanced variations of "autistic" and "meme"
>>
>>46306823
>retarded
>posts HURR LOOK HOW HORRIBLE VIOLENCE REALLY IS by Mr On Horse or Afoot

The rules are shit, Violence was just an excuse for Costikyan to bitch about people having fun by rolling dice to make imaginary things dead
>>
>>46306833
To be honest, breaking someone's leg with a fake lead pipe accomplishes everything you'd want to accomplish with the real one even more effectively. No one wants to fuck with the guy who can break a leg with foam.
>>
File: nightcall.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
nightcall.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Haven't tried it, but found it somewhere.
>>
>>46307431
>Pardo points
Oh my fucking sides!
>>
>>46307431
Is that Harlow-fucking-Solid Italic?
>>
Surprised nobody brought up Don't Rest Your Head. It's fast, it's sloppy, you have the Fight/Flight freakouts and the inevitable crash built in.

Just tone down the Madness talents (rename it Mask and have it represent those abilities?) and you're good to go.
>>
>>46300608
Gurps Psychopath.
>>
>>46301261
Unknown Armies comes to mind. The setting wouldn't really fit but rules wise the combat is fast paced and deadly enough and the sanity mechanic handles slow degradation very well.
>>
>>46307431
I think I'll try this out sometime, looks pretty cool!
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.