[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Messiah
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
You're now tasked with making a new character based on the Jesus-archetype. Race does not matter but you have to use theses:
>Be raised by a single mother (Or father)
>Showed qualities of a leader as a child
>Gather a group of followers
>Challenge the current system of beliefs/government
>Be betrayed by his most trusted friend
>Endure long days of torture
>"Die" and be resurrected
>>
>>46289724
Except Christ wasn't raised by a single parent.
>>
>>46289724
I thought that stick was a rifle and I was wondering about Combat Jesus.

... "You'll never find an atheist in a Foxhole."
>>
>>46289830
Also, Judas was not his most trusted friend. Now, if you mean being denied by Peter (one of the three most important disciples), then that could be reasoned.
>>
>>46289856

>red army
>chinese red army
>>
>>46289724
Do I also get to have a man harem and one token fag hag?
>>
File: crucified_hero_shot.jpg (8 KB, 303x233) Image search: [Google]
crucified_hero_shot.jpg
8 KB, 303x233
>>46289724

Much of this is taken from TVTropes while I was looking into it. Here are just a few ideas:
- All loving hero - Loves them with a deep, spiritual love that means they will shake heaven and earth, destroy gods and planets, bring nations to their knees, etc. [Shelyn and Sarenrae in Pathfinder, In Exalted with a high Compassion stat]
- A character who lives to help others, but in a way that shows those people how to help themselves. This character does not believe in Holding Out for a Hero. This character's ultimate goal is that one day, when the people need a hero, they can be the heroes themselves.
- Incorruptable Pureness [3.5 has the feat Vow of Poverty]
- Born on Christmas - Like Brian from Monty Python's Life of Brian
- Opts for mercy over justice for penitent villains; Turn the other cheek
- Profession as shepard or carpenter
- Walk on Water; Water into Wine
- I would say this character would always have max Cha
- Planned death in a Crucified Hero Shot
>>
>>46290589
State enforced atheism doesn't mean that everyone in the country magically becomes an Atheist, anon. I'm pretty sure that there were plenty of Orthodox Christians and Confucionists in both armies.
>>
>>46289724
Jesus wasn't raised by a single parent.
Yes, Joseph died in Jesus' arms when he was ~16 years old, but up to that point he even worked with him as a carpenter.
>>
>>46291309
>Confucionists
kek
>>
>>46291343
I don't really know about religion in China, but I don't really see Bhuddists as the "fighting" type.
Unless we are talking about Ghurkas, but the Chinese didn't have those.
>>
>>46289856
Wew lad. Is that what we're doing today? Is that what were gonna be fifhting about in here?
>>
>>46289856

"You'll never find an atheist in a Foxhole."

One of the most blatantly false statement ever.
>>
>>46291309

There were indeed plenty of them. There were also plenty of atheists who were part of the communist modernist project. This is more to point out how dumb the americanism about atheists and fox holes is. You could argue that humanism/communism is a variation of religion though.
>>
>>46289724
Jesus and the sources talking about him are all questionable in terms of historicity.
There were about 15 different "rebel leaders" at the time who were executed.
5 of them claimed them selves to be the Messiah.
>>
>>46291422

More like the most bastardized and misinterpreted.
>>
>>46291391

Bhuddists can be just as violent as any other humans. They participate in rebellions, have street fights between different ethnic populations who are both bhuddist, have differing doctrines to get fighty about. They also fight muslims. But everyone does that, even muslims.
>>
>>46291523
How so?
>>
>>46289724
Just make a Chaotic Good Oracle with a deadbeat dad and the Leadership feat. Put the Oracle in a setting plagued by corrupt churches. After that, the rest just falls into place.
>>
>>46291550
>yfw Muslims are RL Orks
>>
>>46291697
Not the guy you're responding to, but the statement can be seen two ways;

The first being that atheists are cowards because they don't "believe" which is generally considered to be the misunderstood version.

The second being that if you're in a foxhole, belief is going to find you whether you like it or not. You can't go to war and not feel the pull to belief, basically. The problem with the quote is that it juxtaposes atheism with belief. Of course, this is also nonsense because studies have shown that non-religious people's belief in science and the rational increases whilst in a stressful situation. Adding onto that; the fear of death is strongest in irreligious (Ie; "I dunno what I believe) and moderately religious people whilst being the lowest in atheists (proper definition of the word) and those who are deeply religious.
>>
>>46291823
>Of course, this is also nonsense because studies have shown that non-religious people's belief in science and the rational increases whilst in a stressful situation
Oh dear god. Yudkowsky was right!
>>
>>46291965
I know WHO he is but that's basically where my knowledge stops. You're gonna have to enlighten me here.
>>
>>46290435
Depends on the version. In the Gnostic one Judas and Jesus were best friends, and Judas helped Jesus stop being a fleshbag.
>>
>>46292013
It's mainly a joke about one of his articles, Something to Protect. Basically the argument is you can only be a true rationalist if there's something really important at stake, because otherwise you'll make choices based on irrational considerations that are more important to you than just getting the best outcome.

>In Circular Altruism, I discussed this dilemma: Which of these options would you prefer:

>Save 400 lives, with certainty
>Save 500 lives, 90% probability; save no lives, 10% probability.

>You may be tempted to grandstand, saying, "How dare you gamble with people's lives?" Even if you, yourself, are one of the 500—but you don't know which one—you may still be tempted to rely on the comforting feeling of certainty, because our own lives are often worth less to us than a good intuition.
>But if your precious daughter is one of the 500, and you don't know which one, then, perhaps, you may feel more impelled to shut up and multiply—to notice that you have an 80% chance of saving her in the first case, and a 90% chance of saving her in the second.

>My point is not to suggest that one person's life is more valuable than 499 people. What I am trying to say is that more than your own life has to be at stake, before a person becomes desperate enough to resort to math.
>What if you believe that it is "rational" to choose the certainty of option 1? Lots of people think that "rationality" is about choosing only methods that are certain to work, and rejecting all uncertainty. But, hopefully, you care more about your daughter's life than about "rationality".
>>
>>46294940
That's a really interesting point, anon. Nice.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.