[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nephew's Homebrew
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: IibBzyg.jpg (70 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
IibBzyg.jpg
70 KB, 640x640
So my nephew has made a homebrew system that is apparently inspired by D&D, I played it with him today. Do you guys want to hear how it went?
>pic unrelated
>>
>>46286962
Always ready for a storytime.
>>
so what is it like??
>>
>>46286962
Is that a waterbear? Never seen someone try to draw one cute. I understand the complications.
>>
File: i-hmLkGvB-2100x20000.jpg (521 KB, 2100x1052) Image search: [Google]
i-hmLkGvB-2100x20000.jpg
521 KB, 2100x1052
>>46287045
Forgot to say, yeah, story. You posted a thread, you'd be a cunt not to at this point, no need to fish. I'll bump a couple times to give you type time.

>I promise the strips get better.
>>
>>46286962
Post system
>>
typing
>>
File: i-C7MJfNz-2100x20000.jpg (504 KB, 2100x1052) Image search: [Google]
i-C7MJfNz-2100x20000.jpg
504 KB, 2100x1052
>>46287100
>>46287125
>>
It was pretty fun, if very barebones, you roll up a character, give them a description and at least two negative attributes and then chose a class. IIRC there were like six or so classes. Warrior, Ranger, Paladin, Wizard, Assassin, and Thief. There are 10 stats/ability scores, them being Strength, Speed, Perception, Intelligence, Charisma, Thief ability, some other ability that I can't remember but wasn't really important, Magical ability, and Dexterity.

>Strength
Pretty self-explanatory, the measure of raw physical strength, determines how well you can use bows and how hard you hit, might have had something to do with your character's HP.

>Speed
Also self-explanatory, how fast you can run, perform tasks, and other such things.

>Perception
How well your character can see and perceive their surroundings, may be used for ranged weapons, can't remember. Is also used when looking for people or things.

>Intelligence
How smart your character is, as well as other things, as far as I see low intelligence in this system isn't really borderline retarded, it just means that the character lacks common sense or something, though it can be that way if you want.

>Charisma
How well the character can convince others to get their way, pretty simple, is used for haggling and persuasion.

>Thief ability
How good your character is at performing illegal activities, i.e sneaking, stealing, lockpicking, used in conjunction with Perception to look for traps.

>Unknown ability
Fucked if I know, might have had something to do with deciphering magical runes or some shit, not sure why that needs to be it's own ability score but w/ever.

>Magical ability
How well a character can use spells and such, affects your mana or something, all sentient characters have this score as far as I know, due to most people in the setting knowing basic spells.

>Dexterity
Had something to do with swordsmanship and for save throws if you fall for a trap or down a pit or something, as well as a few other uses.
>>
>>46287259
Oh fuck I forgot about:

>Luck
Determines the character's chance at getting good loot and also gives a bonus to perception rolls.
>>
>>46287259
Rolling up a character is relatively simple, you just take 3d6 and roll those to get the ability score, getting one chance to re-roll a score. You then build the rest of the character around that and then add the two negative characteristics and then describe their appearance.

Actions are done with 2d6, rolled with a bonus of half the relevant ability score, sometimes if the actions requires two ability scores you just add a bonus of 1/4 the relevant scores, i.e if you throw an axe or something you roll for Perception and Dexterity, taking a quarter out of these scores then combining them. Boom. That's your bonus. I have very little practical experience with TTRPGs so I wouldn't know if this is a good way to do it or not, thoughts?
>>
>>46287259
>>46287329
Not remembering the system -- how avuncular of you.
>>
>>46287431
Having stats 3-18 to only take a fraction of them every time seems unnecessarily convoluted. Why not have a smaller range and just add that.
>>
File: i-mxk7p22-2100x20000.jpg (521 KB, 2100x1052) Image search: [Google]
i-mxk7p22-2100x20000.jpg
521 KB, 2100x1052
>>46287431
I'm not an expert, but you'd likely want to take half off of each. Maybe a third, if the skill checks are particularly high. Only taking a quarter from each is incentive to hunt down edge cases mercifully for that boosted roll.
>>
>>46287494
Scratch that, I can't read
>>
>>46287431
Basically the DM (my nephew) then decides how the action goes based on their own discretion as well as the roll, which is pretty standard..

>>46287438
None of the system's details were written down, so I'm going off the top of my head here.

With combat weapons have a base damage that is given a bonus based on the weapon's relevant ability score, with the damage being the base as well as the full bonus, no fractions this time. Certain weapons will give different afflictions such as bleeding, bleeding itself has different severities, light medium and heavy respectively, all of which do different amounts of damage per turn of combat, light bleeding had 1 damage per turn, whereas medium bleeding had 2 damage per turn, I'm not sure how much damage heavy bleeding does as I didn't encounter it during the session. I'm not entirely sure how different severities of burning work because the only thing I set on fire died instantly. There's also an "enraged" effect, where the enraged creature's damage is increased but it's defence is lowered. Also, you can pretty much throw every weapon you can get your hands on, daggers, swords, spears, axes, name it and you can throw it, not sure how the rules for throwing work in full but the general gist is that it has the weapon's base damage plus a bonus from dexterity and perception.
>>
>>46287583
Oh, and for defence there's the armour's bonus, which negates damage inflicted, the armour bonus is boosted by Dexterity and Strength. Shields are similar but they use Strength + Speed instead.
>>
>>46287259
>>Strength
>Pretty self-explanatory, the measure of raw physical strength, determines how well you can use bows and how hard you hit, might have had something to do with your character's HP.
Sweet, way to few systems take into account that you actually need strength to pull a bow.

All in all that seems like a neat system I think
>>
>>46287494
But why does the evil guys want to sit on the throne?
And why won't the good guys let them?
>>
Storytime now. With all this in mind I created a character called Ulf, who was basically a not!Viking who came from a tribe who were all good magic users. Ulf had a magic aptitude stat of 6, which in his tribe was simply not good enough, so he was exiled until he could prove his magical ability. Ulf had been in exile from his tribe for the majority of his adult life, working odd jobs and occasionally doing criminal activities to keep himself clothed and his stomach full, all while saving up money to buy basic adventuring gear, by the time Ulf had finished his collection of gear he was a balding middle aged man with a long beard, Ulf also had a perception score of 8 due to losing his eye in a blacksmithing accident. And so Ulf set out into the wilds of not!Scandinavia on a pretty low level quest to clear out a den of wolves.
>>
>>46287777
Ulf was always a man of extremes, after failing at becoming a mage amongst his own people he decides he must become a warrior known throughout the world. Ulf's combat equipment consisted of a crappy axe, a beat up shield, and a shoddy mail hauberk. Ulf's arrival at the entrance to the den did not go unnoticed however, and he soon found himself fighting a pair of angry wolves. And to make a long story short Ulf nearly got mauled to death but managed to perform a blow that killed one wolf and sent the other into a critical state. After Ulf finished off the second wolf he looked around the entrance to the cave and saw some decomposing schmuck clutching a rusted sword and wearing an equally rusted helmet. Ulf, being a frugal man, pockets the sword and puts the helmet onto his head and enters into the cave, using a very basic sparking spell to light one of the torches he'd been carrying he enters the cave, axe in one hand, torch in the other. Once he completes his descent into the cave he stumbles upon a smashed lantern, it's oil spilled upon the floor, and a big, angry wolf snarling at him from the darkness.
>>
>>46287259
>Strength
>bows
Your nephew has fine taste.

From the storytimes it sounds like your nephew has had a substantial amount of experience with RPGs. There's a lot of things in there that seem really built off of a "D&D does this shit, I'm going to do it better" mindset. That said, this system doesn't sound half-bad at all.
>>
>>46287986
Now, Ulf being a somewhat resourceful man, decided not to fight with a wolf that would likely be the death of him, so he yelled at it and kicked a rock towards it, provoking it and making it enter some kind of low level "enraged" state, where it charged forward towards Ulf, not paying any heed to the fact that it was standing in a pool of lantern oil. It probably wouldn't have cared anyway, because it was a wolf and wolves don't understand fire, but nevertheless, the wolf charged Ulf and Ulf threw his torch into the oil, setting the wolf and the puddle on fire, shocking it and due to the wolf not understanding stop drop and roll it did not survive being set on fire. Ulf, lighting another torch, surveys the general area of the cave, noting that there doesn't seem to be any other wolves, and that there is an old and heavy looking chest opposite to him. Ulf, again being a resourceful cracks the lock open and finds about 20 gold pieces inside the chest as well as a few other useless trinkets, after this he sets up camp outside the cave and skins and butchers the two dead wolves outside and cooks their meat and takes a good look at his map to see if there might be a village nearby.

>>46288017
Yeah, the way he explained it to me is that bows use strength and perception.
>>
>>46288113
Oh gosh fucking darnit I noticed I wrote "again being a resourceful" instead of "again being a resourceful man".
>>
>>46288113
So, Ulf finds some village that may or may not have had a name, Ulf didn't give a shit. Ulf takes a good look around with his one eye and notices a merchant's stand, what looks to be a blacksmith's shop, and a mead hall/tavern. Ulf sells his shitty rusty sword and his chipped piece of crap axe and buys a newer, shinier, and non-crappy axe with his newfound gold and sells some of the meat he'd gathered from the wolves earlier to make a few extra gold pieces and then heads into the tavern and looks for somebody who might have some errands for him to run, considering that it's Midday nobody is in the tavern except for some dude in a cloak and a very drunk and rich looking guy, Ulf, being perceptive as he is, talks to the rich guy, and pretty bluntly asks him if he has a job for Ulf. The rich guy tells Ulf to get him an apple from the merchant's stand outside. Ulf does this and is given 50 gold pieces by the guy, which is kinda a lot of money for Ulf. However Ulf was not looking for the high-octane action that is buying an apple for some hungover rich guy, so he talks to the creepy guy in the cloak and asks for work.
>>
>>46288283
Bahah, okay, so far so good. Nother bump.
>>
>>46288283
Creepy cloak guy informs Ulf that he is a werewolf hunter and that he has it on good authority that one of the town's most wealthy men is a werewolf, and tells Ulf basic info about identifying werewolves, which is that they have a mark somewhere on their body, usually on their forearm, that they get when they are turned. Ulf is offered about 100 gold pieces to kill this werewolf guy before he turns on a full moon and kills somebody. Ulf is informed by Creepy McWerewolfhunter that the next full moon is in two days. Ulf decides that 100 gold pieces simply isn't enough for such a high stakes mission, and haggles the payment up to 200 gold pieces. However Ulf figures that Scrooge McWerewolf would be a better bet at acquiring a small fortune and devises a cunning plan like some kind of Viking Baldrick. Ulf's plan consists of finding some drunk guy in a tavern, buying a potion usually used for surgical procedures, and then spiking the drunk's drink, kidnapping him, stealing a sheep and shearing it, and then dying that sheep's wool whatever colour Ulf thinks a Werewolf's fur should look like, and then performing some kind of tar & feather routine but with wool, and finally commissioning an illusionist mage to make said roofie'd drunk guy covered in wool and tar look like a dead werewolf. Ulf tells Scrooge McWerewolf his plan, Scrooge McWerewolf turns out to be a stingy turd and only offers 175 gold pieces, so Ulf decides to go along with Plan A, which is "Kill the Werewolf".
>>
>>46288449
It should be noted that "Scrooge McWerewolf" is not the name of rich werewolf dude.
>>
File: beardviking.jpg (241 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
beardviking.jpg
241 KB, 1920x1080
>>46288449
Ulf buys a silver dagger from the merchant's stand and decides to hide in a bush outside the werewolves house until the werewolf goes to sleep and then to sneak inside the house and shank him in cold blood. Ulf waits until about 2 AM and then discovers that rich werewolves do not tend to lock their windows. Ulf then takes a look around the house that seems to be a single large room, he spots a figure sleeping in a bed and a very big and ornate chest, but he also notices a tripwire stretching a few feet away from him, connected to what looks to be a dart launcher and a bell. And so Ulf, like some kind of Norse Big Boss, attempts to simply step over the tripwire, however Ulf trips on a loose floorboard and narrowly avoids setting off the trap and waking up his target. Now that Ulf is past the tripwire he walks over to the bed and stabs the person sleeping in it in the heart. He then uses his Basic Spark Spellâ„¢ to light the lantern in the room. Ulf sees that this is in fact the guy who refused to pay him more than the Werewolf hunter and that he appears to be very dead. Ulf then notices a pair of stairs leading to the second level of the house, Once up there Ulf finds a disheveled man bound and gagged and tied to a chair and a big-ass chest, Ulf frees this man who then thanks him and all that. Ulf then sets to work on getting that chest open, which turns out to be easy when there is literally a key right next to it. Ulf takes the jewellery in the chest and also finds a silver axehead, Ulf pockets said axehead and then heads back downstairs to open the other chest. Ulf then uses the silver axehead like a caveman to break the lock off of the chest, Ulf finds gold pieces, some jewellery, and some financial paperwork. Ulf then cuts off the forearm of the Werewolf, making sure that the mark is clearly visible and then smashes the lantern he had lit earlier onto the floor and dives out the window, Ulf then heads back to his camp at the cave and goes sleep.
>>
>>46288866
And so Ulf claims his bounty from the Hunter and leaves the village so as to avoid suspicion.
>>
And so that's the story of how I accidentally created a Viking Big Boss!
>>
Bretty cool story, I liked it.
And really the system seems to be rather nice
>>
Your nephew is a pretty impressive kid.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.