[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone tried PTU? I'm Looking into it and just want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: psyduck.jpg (10 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
psyduck.jpg
10 KB, 300x168
Has anyone tried PTU? I'm Looking into it and just want some opinions.
>>
>>46284384
>PTU
Propylthiouracil? Gonna have to be a bit more specific on exactly which PTU you're referring to, OP.
>>
File: 1436717320843.jpg (9 KB, 238x220) Image search: [Google]
1436717320843.jpg
9 KB, 238x220
>>46284412
Pokemon Tabletop United
>>
It's a fun system with lots of character customization options. However you've got to understand just how much bookkeeping is involved for both you and the players. Every encounter involving polemon must be preplanned ahead of timeif you don't want the game to grind to a screeching halt so you can quickly scrounge up some stats and moves for the new Pokemon character sheet the player wants to fill out.
>>
I've been a player in a PTA group the last few weeks and if PTU is anything like it its a total bore. Even with the GM tools out there like encounter generators and pokemon creators for random spawns its a metric fuck ton of paper work for not a lot of pay off. Unless you play the game like the anime where each PC only ever has 4-10 pokemon to their name ever you'll be doing more number crunching and stat work-ups than roleplaying and dice rolling.

It's a neat system on paper, but horrible in practice
>>
>>46284589
PTU fixed a lot of the problems with PTA but there's still a good amount of paperwork involved.
>>
Decades of paperwork, even more for the DM
>>
>>46284384
It's an RPG made by and for the sort of people that have a fetish for spreadsheets and power gaming. The classes, feats and pokemon are all vastly different levels of power and utility from each other, so balance can be a pain in the ass.

You will literally spend hours planning encounters more complicated than "four level five caterpies." And those encounters will take a ridiculous amount of time to run.

Oh, and the game is incredibly lethal at low levels. Yeah, lethal. In pokemon. A series where you can shoot a level 1 pidgey in the face with a hyperbeam from a level 100 'mon and it only faints. It's apparently designed around the mentality of system mastery, and lording that mastery over all your opponents.

Plus there's still some kludge issues in the system. Like how skills use a different dice system than combat. It's like the unholy bastard child of d20, tri-stat and a few other systems, all grafted together into a Frankenstein monstrosity.

And for context, I have run a PTA campaign, a PTU campaign and played in one campaign of each. They were all great fun, with great people right up until dice had to be rolled.

Though I guess I could praise PTU by saying it's better than PTA. At least it doesn't use vastly different stats for trainers and pokemon, while simultaneously encouraging trainers to fight. So PTU is the least awful pokemon system.
>>
File: image.png (292 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
image.png
292 KB, 600x450
>>46284384
There's not much else to say that hasn't been said already.

I have tried to play PTU campaigns several times in the past but they all have crumbled over the rules weight.
I'd recommend you check other pokemon tabletop systems, Pokemon Pen & Paper and Pokerole come to mind, but there are other smaller systems and systems in progress that I don't know the names of and you may also want to look for.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.