[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just create a own setting, with physical and active gods. Also
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
I just create a own setting, with physical and active gods. Also with evenly matched monsters and opponents. And I do not see how the world is NOT dominated (and depends) by God Kings which completely overshadowing the mortals.

How can I prevent this?
>>
>>46269170
The gods are active. They don't have the time for shit like running an empire. They have better things to do with their time.
>>
>>46269170
The gods sign a peace treaty to make sure that planet destroying wars don't happen every Tuesday.
>>
>>46269170
>And I do not see how the world is NOT dominated (and depends) by God Kings which completely overshadowing the mortals.

What's wrong with that?
>>
>>46269170
The gods have embbeded themselves in the societies that worship them, resulting in awe-inspiring influence within the areas where they are worshipped, and no influence outside.

Think Black&White-style influence zones.
>>
>>46269170
Turns out physical gods are not that much stronger than mortals. The mortals are also tired of their shit so there's a pretty huge militant atheist movement who kick their shit in when they try to take over a country.
>>
>>46269170
Sure living Gods are impressive and achieve great things, but it's ordinary people who keep society functioning.
>>
Make them relatively weak (got gods). They are immune to aging and Natural diseases. Although the god may embody an aspect, that aspect does not lose control when it's associated god is killed. Perhaps they reincarnate as a completely new being or a mortal ascends to replace them
>>
AFAIK Dofus/Wakfu has physical gods in It.

And they're just either wandering around the world doing their shit as epic level adventurers or sit around one place keeping regular contact with their people whether It's fucking around or sending people on various quests
>>
>>46269170
The gods are actually non-sentient aspects of reality, and regular mortals are selected, randomly or by associated virtue, to become their avatars.
>>
>>46269170
>And I do not see how the world is NOT dominated (and depends) by God Kings which completely overshadowing the mortals.

Sounds actually quite nice.
>>
>>46270300
>>46269331
I think OP's legitimate fear is that with such entities, player's actions would be utterly meaningless, and their being essentially powerless against entities of this magnitude would make them feel as though their agency would be removed.
While some groups could be okay with such a premise, I believe most would sooner or later come to think "who gives a shit/why do *we* have to do this anyway, let the gods sort it, they're fucking gods."
>>
>>46269170
You can't have active powerful entities running around and then not have those powerful entities NOT overshadow the actions of lesser men.
You can occupy the big guy by giving him a world snake to wrestle with or the afterlife to manage, and that would theoretically create a window of opportunity for mortal upstarts to save the world on a small scale. But you'll notice that this occupation only serves to REDUCE the Gods' level of activity.
>>
>>46269170
I don't know anon, but I fucking love Endless Legend
>>
>>46269170
You don't. You go full three kingdoms with their super powered descendants (who should involve the PCs) going to war and personally killing thousands of soldiers every battle and their duels against each other being a deciding factor in victory.
>>
Gods can still only be in one place at a time. Plus, you can make them fickle. It's not like the god king is going to give a fuck about every little thing that goes down in his god kingdom.
>>
>>46269170

What about the Glorantha Route? Kind of in the vein as >>46269303, gods are real and active, but they're only allowed to interact with reality in certain, proscribed ways or else the world blows up. Gods are bound by ancient rules they cannot break, else they risk non-existence. So while the God of Healing would love to just wash the world over in holy light and cleanse everyone at once, they can't because that was not the role they had when the Great Compromise was forged.
>>
File: consider the following.jpg (598 KB, 1125x913) Image search: [Google]
consider the following.jpg
598 KB, 1125x913
>>46269170
Have all the gods be too busy doing their fucking jobs to be able to interfere too much in the world of mortals. The God of Death has to reap and guide all the souls traveling over, the Sun God has to make sure the sun isn't too close or too far away from the earth, the God of Fertility has to fuck your wife, all that. They have priests and prophets of course, and generally let their will be known to them, but usually they're all very busy making sure the world turns
>>
>>46271195
Is this game good?
>>
>>46273389
I love it. Even if you, for whatever reason, don't like it for the gameplay, you should get it for the art, the music, the comfy cities and landscapes. Gameplay is still great and the factions are really diverse.
>>
>>46269170
Let the gods dominate the mortals, as it should be, but war amonst each other. You could run a hidden potential campaign where the PCs are next in line to become the new god of murder etc., through murderhoboing.
>>
They're all too busy managing their respective churches and followers and handing out portions of their powers to their followers so they can get more done to really have time to stir up shit. Which leaves them out of politics for the most part aside from having a representative to tool around the big courts or whatever super-alliance meeting place the setting has.
>>
>>46270375
Make this a real public concern in the past of your setting, OP. Somewhat similar to Dr. Manhattan.
So the Gods stepped back from the "public eye" so to speak once people started expecting them to do everything for them.
>>
File: 1445264694007.png (392 KB, 1000x1414) Image search: [Google]
1445264694007.png
392 KB, 1000x1414
>>46276580
And this will be the protagonist.
>>
>>46276580
Or divine tyrants vs mortal rebels?
>>
What would a God gain from ruling humans? They have nothing they could offer him. It would be like a human ruling a colony of ants.

Gods rule Gods, Men rule Men. So is the way of the sword.
>>
>>46269170
They're way too concerned with countering the godly monsters.

>>46269275 is always a good reasoning. I mean, who has time to figure out zoning regulations of the newest Colosseum when the celestial balance needs to be maintained like a critically important banzi tree?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.