[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Name the most powerful D&D character you played. >name
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7
File: stronkkkkkkkk.jpg (18 KB, 300x337) Image search: [Google]
stronkkkkkkkk.jpg
18 KB, 300x337
Name the most powerful D&D character you played.

>name
>race
>class
>level
>what level did you start out as
>any other stats
>which edition of D&D did you play
How did you reach so much power, was it a deliberate choice as a part of the campaign.

Share some stories.
>>
File: 1350667166399.jpg (218 KB, 800x1320) Image search: [Google]
1350667166399.jpg
218 KB, 800x1320
Darthirem Alaendreastez (an asumed name, can't remember what was the original meaning)
High Elf
Fighter/Thief/Wizard
12/12/15
1/1/1
Nothing weird beyond his absurdly high Charisma and Intelligence
AD&D

He started out as a disenfranchised prince of an Elven king. He had grown resentful of his own culture and took to travelling, taking a liking to the short lived races of men and dwarfs. He took up "adventuring" because he wanted adoration and money, eventually became a powerful advisor to kings and the like all across the planes (He was LE but most of the time acted "Good" for practical reasons). He finally settled in Sigil where he set up an orphanage to "make heroes" he could send all across the multiverse

I still use him as an npc in many of my games, sometimes antagonist sometimes patron. often both at the same time, he's a tricky cunt.
>>
File: Naule.png (229 KB, 402x260) Image search: [Google]
Naule.png
229 KB, 402x260
>>46266450
I never play really high-power games so the best I can do is pretty lame..

>Naule, the Hunter of All Things
>Wood Elf fluffed as Fae
>Ranger 5/Rogue 10
>Started from level 15 (it was a mini-campaign)

Basically the character was a hunter-creature from the Faewild equivalent of the setting, kicked off into the mortal realm because the Court Fae had had enough of his bullshit and because they needed to avert some big disaster that the party was trying to prevent as well. He didn't get attacked once during the whole campaign except for the last fight, basically his stuff was to hide all the time, sneak attack, move, stealth again and repeat, using an Amulet of Nondetection and a Cape of the Mountebank to ensure he was never caught.

Was real fun, and I got to play a really weird character because he was from the Fae world and acted nothing like a mortal, which caused not only hilarious moments but also horrified everyone. Fae are not nice.
>>
Henry
Human
Cleric
...8?
Don't know.

I obtained the power just by being a cleric. I actually only played him for two sessions. The first one and a random one I had time for. I shouldn't have joined a campaign with how busy I was but the group was okay with me missing 90% of it.

As for such I only have one story about him. We were fighting some summoned monster as a boss and I looked at my prep'd spells. "Huh, I have Banish. No idea if this'll work!" so I tried it and the GM rolled and told it was gone. Then all the other players got angry at me and I took back my turn so they could fight it. Then I hit it for half its health with a damage spell off the bat anyways.
>>
>John Darling
>Human
>Fighter
>11
>1
>only above-average stat was a 16 strength.
>AD&D
Got the strength from good old-fashioned dungeon crawling, real life survival knowledge, and a GM who doesn't use instant kill traps.
>>
>>46266450
Damien Carter (the name was fake but I can't remember his real one.)
Human
Arcane Trickster (Wizard/Rogue/Assassin)
6 (3/1/1/1)
Nothing too crazy
Pathfinder

He started out as more of a rogue with some magic to hide himself, like invisibility and some disguise stuff. The DM made his homebrew setting a planet entirely filled with small islands and made the ocean absurd proportions so we had literally between months and years of downtime between quests. I wound up becoming the crafter and started a ton of businesses on an island I would teleport back too. This lead me to accumulate absolutely broken amounts of gold that no PC should have at our level.

I wound up using it to build a bunch of magical items that made it so i never needed to eat, breathe, sleep, drink, ect. Even one that gave me regeneration as long as it was active. I then combined all these magical stones into one super one, which I implanted into my body. The stone could not be removed as long as I was alive, and I could never die as long as I had the stone. This combined with a few other items nobody should have until late game lead to me being completely overpowered and I hoped the DM would realize that giving us multiple years of downtime was a dumb idea, but he didn't seem to get it.

That's when I built the thing that pretty much crossed the line. A spell that turned my body into iron, giving me crazy stat bonuses, imunities and damage resistance. I was basically immortal and had wizard spells which i could add sneak attack too.

The campaign fell apart because we told the DM we thought he should rethink his campaign and he kind of blew up at us.
>>
>>46268437
I should add the spell really exists, I just made my implanted stone able to cast it at will. Which again, he allowed.
>>
>>46266450
I've only started playing 5e recently and I've never gotten to high level.
I have a moon druid at 7th level but there's nothing special about him besides being a druid. His ability scores are trash because I rolled 3d6 for my stats.
>>
Arawhon Rhys
Gnoll
Sage Sorcerer - Destiny bloodline
20 + 10 Mythic ranks
Demigod of Outcasts and Sacrifice

Started as a gnoll laying half dead in a ditch after the convent he grew up in was destroyed by a dragon. After much adventuring, the reformation of a messianic doomsday cult, and a few self sacrifices to save his only friends he became a demigod.
>>
File: 1456437608898.jpg (152 KB, 624x350) Image search: [Google]
1456437608898.jpg
152 KB, 624x350
>>46269684
>20 + 10 Mythic ranks
My God! What a Gnoll to behold!
>>
>>46266450

Jacos Gatsburg. Shadowtouched Human and Shadowlord of Telflammar. And eventually a lich.

He started at level 1, and eventually got to level 12 before that campaign fizzled out. Later though, we played a high level Pathfinder game and started at level 15, and due to his ability to travel planes the DM let me bring him back. That campaign ended with him being level 17, a lich, and covered with about as many fucking magic items as he could carry.

He was all of the following classes, taken from multiple splat books and source books with absolutely no regard for sense, just anything to add to the build:
>a level 2 Samurai
>a level 1 Fighter
>a level 5 Swordsage
>a level 6 Shadowlord
>a level 3 Iaijutsu Master

His basic ability was teleportation, and then full attacking when he arrived (after drawing his sword and dealing a shit load of damage on the first attack). Most of his Swordsage maneuvers were teleports, and had the game continued he would have been able to full attack three times in one round with a move action, a standard action, and his swift action.

He had some spells he could cast, his AC was ridiculous (and got even more so when he became a lich) and he got a +17 to initiative so he essentially always went first in combat.

I'm bringing him back as a villain in the campaign I'm running now, so we'll see how that goes.
>>
>>46266450
None
Elan
Psion
Memorable

Starting stats were way too good, something like 18-18-17-16-15-14. I remember him because he ended the campaign by eating a bomb (and survived). We then agreed to retcon without this happening.
>>
>>46272899

To continue this and answer the question in the OP, Jacos becoming a lich and thus becoming the unstoppable teleporting juggernaut he became was not intentional. I tried to spice him up for the second campaign by giving him a goal. That goal was to find a cure for a disease that he had picked up during his travels through the planes, specifically the plane of shadow. He had done quite a bit of travelling between the two campaigns, which was my explanation for the three levels he'd gained.

Every healer he'd go to would tell him the same thing, that there was no cure and that he'd be dead within the year. Then, the party met some guy who called himself "The Duke of Night." He was a strange, owl headed man who claimed he could cure my ailment. That cure, unbeknownst to Jacos, was to aid him in becoming a lich.

Looking back at him, he's pretty cringy (he is literally "teleports behind you and unsheathes katana" the character), but he was such a fun character to use that I can't help but smile when I think back about playing him.
>>
>>46267538
what a lame group
I would have given the group the xp anyway
after all, that's what clerics are for
>>
>>46266450
>Captain Snackfist
>race human
>class monk
>level 17
>level 1
>16,18,16,8,16,10
>2nd Ed
I gave em the snack.
>>
>>46266450
>(The) Cloud Princess [of cuckoo land]
>Custom, unicorn playdough cat
>Synergist summoner
>9
>9
>default was average for level, has natural reach attack and resistance to grappling + limited flight, but synargist summon gave huge fuckwads of natural rending attacks that did stupid damage from strength and huge size.
>3.Pf

Reached level power by channeling rage at the shit GM. He was pretty smart, but had that us vs the gm mentality no matter what, and threw stupid impossible challenges at us that through pure munchkinry on our part we survived (1/4 of us anyway, players died every session )

I took Princess Unikitty and b played her straight, till I got fed up and then proceeded to kill all the monsters + the dungeon.
>>
>>46266450
Warhammer game.

Became emperor accidentally by rolling horseshoes out my ass and beating the chosen one in single combat.

This started the process but the 'chosen run' ended getting offed by his cult when he was defeated and I sort of fit the prophecy so as finest warrior of the realm so the party face, a higher ranked noble, decided to act as my patron.

It didn't hurt that I had spent my campaign earnings on the construction of a great hammer blessed by Sigmar and Ulfric, forged by a master dwarven smith, enchanted by the master of the gold mages, and blooded in the chest of a vampire dwelling in the cavernous sewer system underneath the city.

Still almost lost the following crusade by that's probably because the DM turned vampires into a race of immortal philosophers instead of monsters. (Not inherently a bad idea, but not good for this group or this game)

Past that it's probably my 4th ed Minotaur barbarian who solo'd baphomet and took over the abyssal throne. (He got banned by the material realm spirits for being too entrenched with the gods)
>>
File: tabart the town drunk.png (22 KB, 542x756) Image search: [Google]
tabart the town drunk.png
22 KB, 542x756
>Tabart the Town Drunk
>Catfolk (called Gnoll in-game)
>Level 14
>Level 5
>Great Strength, Good Luck and Constitution, very Poor Wisdom
>4e

Tabart was a drunken and hardy Gnoll who presided among the bleakest taverns of Amago city. He wasn't rich, but he did enough odd jobs and got rid of enough rats in the cellar to gain a good amount of experience over the years. Joined the party in a drunken stupor, never quite got out of either the stupor nor the party. He just kinda shambled his way through everything drunkenly and still did a fairly decent job at mowing down enemies. Ended up goin' down in the final fight with the BBEG, but he did get to punch 'em in the face before he went down. Fun to play, but I'll admit it he did mess up a few situations due to his low charisma and wisdom, so I'm not sure if he was always so fun for the other players.
>>
File: ishygddt.jpg (23 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
ishygddt.jpg
23 KB, 600x600
>>46272899
>>Telflammar Shadowlord
>>Lich
>>Not Sepulchral Thief
>>
>>46267538
Same thing happened for me in a 5e campaign. The DM had planned the demon to be a big, important boss fight, too.
>>
>>46266450
Aelfwold, son of Eithilireach
Half-Elf
Fighter/Magic-User (originally Cleric of Tyr/Magic-User)
25/23 (my DM allowed progression beyond level limits at 10% XP gain, though potions could be found to circumvent this for one class or the other for a level or two)
1/1
Most stats maxed out due to magical items, unguents, potions, etc. Strength was still a 13 or so, though some gauntlets gave him 18/00 so long as he wore them
AD&D 1e, approx. 5 RL years

The halfbreed of a somewhat popular duke and one of his human dalliances, Aelfwold was a well-meaning child, pious in nature and yet still drawn to the magical arts due to his father's influence. In his early 20s, his mother contracted a fatal disease (traced back to a nucklavee in the mountains), and passed away. Taking a small bit of coin, an adequate sword and his father's blessing, Aelfwold joined with another group of boys from the local human settlement and looked to carve their place in the world.

Or so he thought. After a particularly brutal battle with a rival party hired by goblins left him face-down in the mud, Aelfwold saw a vision of Tyr turning away from him (IRL, the party split up and the game fell apart for a while, but I was eventually invited back with a new group). Taking this as a sign, he felt that his future was not as a man of the cloth, but of the sword. Still a devout follower of Tyr, Aelfwold turned to training with the local soldiers (and converted to Fighter).

With his new band of partners, the Blue Coats, Aelfwold had a hand in many of the major changes to the Barony of Feyhaven (once Applehill) and beyond. As the campaign wound down, and the various members of the Blue Coats took up a life of comfort and retirement from active adventure, Aelfwold and his family were rather well off. He was one of the founders of the College of Magic, had many children, and (though it didn't happen in-game, I'd like to believe) was about to annex his own barony.
>>
>>46278851

I had to look up what that is because I know next to nothing about Forgotten Realms. I literally only took Shadowlord because Shadow Pounce shenanigans sounded fun to me.

That would be a good fit, sure, but liches are my favorite type of undead so I was definitely fine with what the DM ended up doing to me.
>>
>>46266450
TYBOR
Human
wizard
great STR and INT

GM had his own hard mode pick class roll 3d6, 6 times and 1st roll is strength 2nd is Dex etc ended up with stats like 18 5 14 17 13 8. So I had a ripped wizard normaly wizards are at a disadvantage in melee range unless they got touch spells but that's where I had the most fun. RP was also great.
>>
The DM.
>>
Dellawyn Oakwhisper (later Delloth Oathbearer once he attains his power)
Half Elf (the human half was replaced by an Arcanaloth)
Warlock - Fiend Pack
Combined stats with an Arcanaloth
5th Ed

Starting out as a regular fiend pact warlock, his masters contract was with titivius, which Dellawyn was forced to take. As his master begins to understand how powerful the artifacts their group is collecting are, he grants him the offer to sell his soul in exchange for the power to obtain the artifacts to protect the party. When he dies during a fight with a death knight, Dellawyn takes the offer and becomes Delloth, but tricks the party into thinking he was absolved from his pact and chose a Fey patron. He's shown his power level by destroying the death knight in a single hit, tricking the team rogue into forging a contract with him, and ensuring the team tank/conscious is too in love with him to stop him when he completely reveals that the party will only be safe from hells wrath if they sell their souls to him.
>>
>Sean Jackson
>Human
>Warlock
>14
>14
>18 CHA, 17 DEX
>3.5
University game I was invited to; we supposedly started at such a high level because the GM wanted to get right into world saving heroics, but in reality it was because the rest of the group were a bunch of shitty powergamers that couldn't get their builds to work before that level and just couldn't have fun unless they could do broken shit.
While I may have been dumb enough to join such a game, looking at my inventory and invocation choices, I was at least smart enough to know what sort of shit was going to go down. I remember we had an assassin and a crit-build barbarian, and so I got heavily fortified armor to become immune to both critical hits and sneak/death attacks. There was also Necromancer McEvilrobes along with another caster, so I nabbed Scarab of Protection. The rest of my starting gold was mostly put towards general survival and utility stuff (Ioun stone of no food/water, no fall damage, glove of storage and bag of holding, girdle of wound closure,etc.) that for some reason astounded the other players (you don't have to eat goddamn shit item is some OP bullshit GM PLZ NERF).
Can't imagine why the game didn't last more than a session.
>>
>>46266450
Devin Jameson
Human
Fighter 23/Mechanus Knight 23/Warlord 3
Started at like level 5 in fighter/mech knight
Mythic 9, Divine 1
This was a no-holds-barred 3.PF game, with homebrew allowed. The GM also brewed some special powers for us. Once per day I could call a giant mecha from the sky sent from Primus himself to pilot.

Now. My character's armour was size colossal +4, with a Fullblade to match (something like 24d8 base), then with Improved, Greater, Mythic AND Divine Vital Strike, AND THEN some stupid mythic feats that allowed full vital strike damage to all targets of a cleave. I could cleave to every enemy within reach. With a sword that big, the reach was 60 feet.

The damage (to each target on an average roll) was 1,400,000. And that isn't a typo.
>>
>>46266450
The Merciful All-Knowing God-Emperor Drothan the Invincible (all titles megalomaniacally self-bestowed)
Half-orc
Fighter 18/Wizard 18
Started at level 1
D&D 3.0

Drothan was my character in a 6-year long weekly campaign. We had a few requirements set by the DM in that we all had to be multiclassed and keep our classes within one level of each other. It was a lawful evil game, and I played Drothan as a third-world dictator. The game started out with all of our characters crucified and dying after losing a battle and ended with us re-writing the cosmos as gods (with a few homebrewed rules in there to facilitate the godhood). It was a good game.
>>
>>46286316
WHAT! THE! FUCK! NIGGER!
>>
>>46266450
>Gromgar Gerriksson
>Desert Dwarf
>Cleric of Berronar Truesilver
>Level 8
>Level 3
>Pretty well-rounded except for a 6 in dexterity, which lead to him being a bit clumsy
Things started out with the party rescuing him from a Drow slave camp, and he decided to stick with them after he heard of the brewing invasion.

They wandered around for awhile, saving a town from a ghoul plague and breaking into a Drow necromantress' fortress of bone, where the party barbarian, a gruff but kind-hearted half-orc named Ront, was slain. Gromgar joined in a ritual to create a massive amount of the ghoul plague cure, and the huge amount of focused magic involved gave him a bit of a power boost.

The party went on to clear out a dwarven silver mine of shadow creatures brought on by the defiling of a near-forgotten dwarf king's tomb, and eventually found themselves in Ravenloft, where they eventually fought an old white dragon in its lair on a frozen lake (with Gromgar landing the killing blow, no less)

The campaign, sadly, ended on a cliffhanger with the GM and the player hosting the game group going off to college
>>
File: Snappy.jpg (58 KB, 617x800) Image search: [Google]
Snappy.jpg
58 KB, 617x800
>>46266450
Snappy Pappadaupolis
Dragonborn
Fighter
5th level
5th edition Dungeons and Dragons

Combination of things. The GM had a habit of creating game-breaking items by not thinking through the implications of what they supposedly did, and then, I think because he didn't want to admit he'd fucked up, letting people keep them, I ended up with a magic hammer that "unmade" whatever non-living things it struck. As soon as I started using it he seemed to realize it had been a mistake, but he was not a very good GM, so he let me keep it.

Then I also ended up tremendously rich by killing a couple dragons and getting all their money. Because of they way we killed them, and, again, the GM not really handling the rewards properly, I ended up with way, way more money than I should have had, and bought all kinds of ridiculous magic items.

During the campaign, I also managed to get two successive kings of the city-state I worked for assassinated, and maneuvered myself up the political food chain through a combination of victory on the battlefield and essentially browbeating NPCs into accepting that I was in charge of them. By the end of the game, I crowned myself king and made the other PCs my Minister of Coin and Minister of Magic.

So like most overpowered PCs, it was mainly possible because the GM didn't know what he was doing.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.