[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Players being too quiet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: silence.gif (963 KB, 245x245) Image search: [Google]
silence.gif
963 KB, 245x245
Hey /tg/ what do you do with quiet/shy players?

3/4 of them literally sit waiting for me while waiting until I tell them to roll for something

We have ran over 7 sessions already and the issue is still there, I've addressed this by putting them in situations where their input is needed and well their answer is more often than not a single word or a very short phrase.

Help
>>
Have an NPC have a straight up conversation with them, and if they don't respond well enough have the NPC get offended.

Have a no cell phone rule

Talk to your players like adults and call them on their shit. If they don't want to partake with the roleplay hand them a calculator. Sure is a lot of number crunching they can do with that
>>
>>46260946

The NPC thing could work, we don't have a no cellphone rule but nobody ever gets distracted.

Ultimately I could call them on their shit however I wanted to see if there were more "IC" options I could use before that
>>
>>46261033
Make them roleplay be more creative make them talk, provide investigation, subtly force them to discuss to each other in char. Silently reward chars that roleplay such as providing a clue to an investigation or a hint when recapping the enemy when talking to each other...
>>
>>46260556
Try declaration phase or sided initiative. Keeps more of the players engaged in the combat.

Also, make the result of social encounters more dangerous and rewarding. Players should be shitting their pants when they're talking to a god or a king. I have a giant spin-down d20 I use to keep track of an major or group of NPC's mood when they're negotiating, then I roll a 1d4 to see how much it changes, depending on what the player said.
>>
>>46261215
Oh that's really cool! I'll use that

Also, declaration phase? what do you mean by that?
>>
>>46260556
Do you ever just describe a scene and ask them what they want to do?

Like don't suggest a course of action at all, and have a scene complex enough that it has multiple solutions. Or perhaps all the information isn't readily available and they have to use a collection of skills to get it all out.

Part of me thinks that the 1 player who is talking might be taking control of the whole group either because they are more vocal or faster thinking. In which case you might have to talk it out with them.
>>
Pose questions. Both in game and in what you are saying. Make them respond, not wait.
>>
>>46261337

I do just describe the scene quite often, in fact a few sessions ago I tried suggesting them what actions to take but since I saw no change I went back to just the description since the RPers prefered that.

I've even prepared scenarios where the quiet ones are the only ones that could participate and the rest don't even intervene table talking. Still they seem kind of lost and unable to think in character.

>>46261406
I do make a lot of questions to them, IC they think for a bit and their reply is usually very very short, at the start I tried to suspend my disbelief and make their characters say what they wanted to say but couldn't come up with the words. Later it became more of an issue.
>>
>>46261444
See OP what you said in this post makes me think that your players might not actually be having fun.

Is this their first time playing an RPG? Is this their first time with this particular system? They might just be completely lost and don't really understand whats going on.
>>
I think it's time for you to bring in a gmpc/navi. They might Just like combat. Nothing wrong with that.

Alternatively. You could teach them. Drop a deadly dungeon in front of their weird path. If they go In blind, pain. Set up a party motivated thing. No quest mono telling them what to effect
>>
>>46261534
That's what I thought too, so I ask them after every game if they're having fun and they say yes. It's been like that from the start, if they were just being polite they wouldn't have shown up for the past 7 sessions.

A few of them are new, we've lent them our books but they still struggle with some basic things, I don't know if they're putting the time to learn it.

>>46261563

I tried to avoid the gmpcs but I seem to be running out of options here.

At least from last session they learned that they're not supposed to win every combat and escaping is an option so I guess that's a step in the right direction
>>
>>46261611
Alright they might be a bit daunted by the rule books, these games tend to appear more complex then they really are.

The solution is to provide regular prompts to the new players.

For example: They need to identify a monster, if you know one of the newer players has a relevant knowledge skill then suggest to them that they roll for it. You can apply this with just about anything. Need to get past a locked door? No rogue in the party? Prompt the barbarian player to smash it down with his axe.

Prompts are the best way to teach them game mechanics. Because once you tell them to do something enough times they know that they can do that and will start to initiate it themselves. You know they are learning when one of them asks "Can I do this?" Role playing will naturally come after they have a good mechanical knowledge.

Seven sessions is not nearly enough time to get a strong grasp on these games even if you read the books. Give it time and patience OP they'll come out of their shells eventually.
>>
>>46260556
Alcohol
>>
>>46261822

They don't drink, we've offered.

>>46261796

Fair points, will do that more often
>>
>>46260946
>Talk to your players like adults and call them on their shit. If they don't want to partake with the roleplay hand them a calculator. Sure is a lot of number crunching they can do with that
Some of us aren't that good at roleplay, and don't know how to make a character behave until we're given specific plot hooks. Give us a break.
>>
>>46260556
>>
>>46263608
I'm shit at roleplaying too. That doesn't stop me from being the most active player at the table.
>>
File: trayvon martini.jpg (279 KB, 2048x967) Image search: [Google]
trayvon martini.jpg
279 KB, 2048x967
>>46260556
another player & I have this problem. >inb4 autism.
our solution? pic related.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.