[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm trying to think of unique setting for a city. It's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 11
File: Fantasy-City-Digital-Painting-3.jpg (193 KB, 1186x673) Image search: [Google]
Fantasy-City-Digital-Painting-3.jpg
193 KB, 1186x673
I'm trying to think of unique setting for a city.

It's the capital of a Republic of humanity, but has some non-human citizens as well. Think if magic was used instead of oil for the industrial revolution.

any ideas?
>>
>>46242660
>Think if magic was used instead of oil for the industrial revolution.
>oil
>>
Play Eberron.
>>
>>46242660
>oil
lort
>>
>>46242691
>>46242720

Oil was the main source of wealth and driver of the industrial revolution. the discovery and advances in refinery and drilling lead to crude oil becoming the backbone of the industrial revolution.

Now instead, imagine advances in magic did the same thing.

stop being petty autists and help me out.
>>
instead of massive steampowered factories with conveyor belts and pollution you have neat workshops with magical animats handling simple tasks

next
>>
>>46242747
>oil
>>
File: ex_rod_86283.jpg (15 KB, 231x264) Image search: [Google]
ex_rod_86283.jpg
15 KB, 231x264
>>46242660
>fantasy humans
>ever a republic
go empire or go home
>>
File: 4924-hayashida.gif (388 KB, 190x190) Image search: [Google]
4924-hayashida.gif
388 KB, 190x190
>>46242747
Oil he says
>>
>>46242660
What about if the industrial revolution was sparked by the need to create pumps to clear water out of deep dungeons instead of deep mines?
>>
whatever niggas, i'm just trying to think of an idea for a city that's fun to run around in and isn't a cliche like "floating city" or "city in the trees".
>>
>>46242887
We don't have to be Romans EVERY time.
>>
File: romanically screaming.png (316 KB, 470x489) Image search: [Google]
romanically screaming.png
316 KB, 470x489
>>46243014
WE DO
>>
>>46242995
What was once a magically-run city suffered a terrible calamity and the fabric of reality was torn. Shards of buildings orbit a rip in space, and the laws of physics switch and change in places. These shards of altered reality are like predictable weather patterns, where a blacksmith on a shard that was once a manor house can look at his forecast and see he's due for a loss of gravity shortly after lunch.

Normally the city would be abandoned, but the rampant magical energy provides many advantages to those able to make a home there.
>>
File: Code Name "The Patriarchy".jpg (280 KB, 800x1131) Image search: [Google]
Code Name "The Patriarchy".jpg
280 KB, 800x1131
>>46243043

What if there was two empires, a good romans and a bad romans? I honestly don't think that's been done before.

The question is, what distinguishes good romans from bad romans (and don't say "sucking dick rather than getting their dick sucked" - let's not have another repeat of that fellatiocracy farce like last time)
>>
Given that the city is republic, you could have it be so that the architecture is classical / greek / roman inspired. A lot of the older civic architecture in the US is neoclassical because of the admiration of the philosophy / politics of those classical civilisations ( ie democracy)

On the other hand you could also look places like Britain where the industrial revolution was centered for some inspiration, ie 19th century london. Could lead down the steampunk path though if you use it, so be carefull. Reference factories, warehouses and docks rather than gears and cogs.

Also depending on what magic is like in your setting you could do some interesting things. Floating city is one idea which you may find a little overused. For more high fantasy you could look at things like Sigil from planescape. Or what if they made a pocket dimension to contain the city and protect it?
>>
>>46243116
it has been done before already
>>
>>46243043
Can't we be the Greeks? Focus on philosophy, mathematics and physics in a world where the sciences and humanities were forgotten long ago, where other races live in the decaying ruins of their forefathers, studying basic summoning spells rather than how to make a pulley or convey emotion in writing.
>>
>>46243141
no
>>
>>46243184
How about Egyptians/Sumerians? Equal parts warrior and sage?
>>
>>46243117

honestly, I'm thinking more like New York, but fantasy. So a huge park in the middle, surrounded by magically built skyscrapers that house the elite, and the towers become lass tall and more condenses as you move away from them.

I was honestly thinking of making a rooftop culture that's different from ground level culture, but that's also kind of a cliche. But I'm honestly beginning to think no matter what idea I use, there is only so many ideas for a city and they'll all be cliches no matter what.
>>
File: SPQtrack.jpg (60 KB, 476x720) Image search: [Google]
SPQtrack.jpg
60 KB, 476x720
>>46243206
ROMANS
O
M
A
N
S
>>
>>46243212
Man, you sure are honest.
>>
>>46243236

ty :">
>>
>>46243138

You can hardly call the western empire "roman" - the whole reason there was a split down the middle was because the western side of the empire had become filled with emo goths and furry german before the split, and the split was supposed to protect the east from further contagion.
>>
>>46243265
konstantin palaloigos please, at least it had Rome
>>
>>46242987

But what would we be doing in mines? We're pumping

>oil

right?
>>
>>46242660

Unique setting? What do you mean? Like a physical location? Unique architecture, human geography, economics, what?

Start with Megalos in GURPS Banestorm. I think that's kind of what you're reaching for. I know you want unique but I don't think your idea is baked enough yet. It sounds more like you need a whole game world built so you can get enough assumptions nailed down to design your city.

Also

>oil

You mean coal.
>>
>>46243212
You could always look at avant garde architecture and urban design if your looking for something a little more out there. Some of it seem particulary suited for a fantasy city.
>>
>>46243307
Canary in the old oil mine.
>>
>>46243141
You mean stealing, greed, laziness and unshaven? There is nothing of Greece that harkens back to the birth of our civilization.
>>
File: naw dude.jpg (15 KB, 137x169) Image search: [Google]
naw dude.jpg
15 KB, 137x169
>>46242747
It was steam you fucking imbecile.
Oil only got into widespread use fifty years later.
>>
File: mfwtrips.jpg (6 KB, 208x242) Image search: [Google]
mfwtrips.jpg
6 KB, 208x242
>>46243212
Just do the right thing and go Yharn-ham.
>>
>>46243396

the industrial revolution was divided into waves. Oil was the last wave.

I'm sorry that actual history doesn't fit into your austically organized set of dates that you can't be bothered to un-memorize.

and even if I were wrong, so what? /tg/ use to be so much less like /b/. can you pollute somewhere else with your petty meme reactions?
>>
>>46243695

You could be less butt-hurt if you used some more

>oil

next time someone fucks you.

And you still haven't even clearly said what you are trying to accomplish or what you want.
>>
>>46244406

Is Oil particularly good as a lubricant? Isn't it way too viscous?
>>
>>46245037
Depends what kind of oil as the longer the hydro-carbon chain is the more viscous it becomes.
>>
>>46245249
well, we were talking about crude oil, or is there olive oil under the ground, from ancient crushed olives?
>>
>>46243043
This pic would be so much better if it said [screams eternally]
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.