[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Players are mundane people from mundane Earth warped to a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8
File: Wand of Truth Telling.webm (1 MB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
Wand of Truth Telling.webm
1 MB, 240x180
>Players are mundane people from mundane Earth warped to a fantasy world
What's the best way to make this interesting?

pic unrelated
>>
>>46235233
>make this interesting
Step one: Toss it out.
Step two: Come up with a good idea instead.
>>
File: Screenshot (22).png (636 KB, 1109x1521) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (22).png
636 KB, 1109x1521
>>46235233
something something twisting the concept of a chosen hero on it's head or something yadda yadda deconstructoin

pic maybe related
>>
>>46235233
The fantasy world turns out to be Irkutsk.
>>
>>46235233
They weren't warped to a fantasy world.

They were warped to the local LARPing group.
>>
File: Average RP Investigations.gif (152 KB, 160x144) Image search: [Google]
Average RP Investigations.gif
152 KB, 160x144
>>46235279
Pretty much this.

I don't play RPGS to be a boring mundane person, and I certainly don;t play them to be a boring mundane person who has to sit there and watch the GM fellate himself over how much better his world and everyone in it is better than me. Where's the FUN, OP?
>>
Having played in too many of these, you dont.
>>
>>46235496
Could you give some reasons you believe the games failed?
>>
>>46235233
Let them use their modern day knowledge to tech up the world, maybe go even further by mixing the magic of the fantasy world with their technology.
>>
File: into-the-trash-it-goes.png (161 KB, 350x227) Image search: [Google]
into-the-trash-it-goes.png
161 KB, 350x227
>>46235233
>Portal Fantasy
>Self-Inserts
>>
Make the fantasy world even lamer and more mundane than the real world. No one ever expects that.
>>
>>46235233

>they get warped to a magical land
>their arrival coincides with some festival/ritual
>they are mistaken as a prophesied group of heroes come to save the land from the BBEG
>the locals set them on the right direction using the prophecy as a guide
>>
>>46235971
Welcome to Sigil, please fill out these forms for Immigration. Do you have anything to declare?
>>
>>46236184
underrated post
>>
>>46236184

My party just found an entrance to the underworld and this is how the DM is playing it. We actually went through customs and the underworld is entirely civilized while humans live in a feudal society topside. I now understand what it's like to be a radical terrorist, all I want to do is firebomb the capital building and get back to fighting goblins and rescuing princesses.
>>
>>46236398
>calling a post underrated when there are no replies between you and your own post
I hope you get teleported to Catachan with nothing but your socks.
>>
>>46236518
underrated post
>>
They are transported to Unknown Armies and it's 90's Russia they have to either survive or get back home without causing any over the top time paradoxes.
>>
>>46235233
HORROR NIGGA. Everything is terrifying in magical world for you and you have the players just beat the fuck out of monsters gradually until they are the kings of the magical world cause they fought for the spot
>>
Hilarious campaign of alien cultural mores, no running water, and easily preventable diseases
>>
>>46236184
>"Welcome to the Sigil Border Checkpoint, please provide all passports and documentation."

>"No papers, eh? Can't let you in, but I guess you can apply for asylum. Report to the refugee center for processing."

>"The average wait time is seven months. Stay out of trouble."
>>
I wrote a story with a premise like this, and the only reason it was anywhere near decent was the comedy factor. Pop culture references everywhere. It helped that my small group of listeners enjoyed that sort of tongue in cheek humor, or at least pretended to.
It was essentially a world of ideas, a layer of the multiverse where simulacrums of every idea ever got dumped into, creating a chaotic world where everyone fought and caused madness forever.
Then, as all things of that nature are wont to do, it got stale and I destroyed everything I wrote. My main characters were allowed to get too powerful, too.
>>
I actually don't get the hate for the concept. They don't need to be self-inserts and they don't have to have shit ability scores. They'd eventually play like any other adventurer in the setting except for their fluff and motivations.
>>
>>46238149
>a world of pure meme magic
>>
>>46235233
Here you go

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Stranded_in_fantasy
>>
>>46238149
>a layer of the multiverse where simulacrums of every idea ever got dumped into, creating a chaotic world where everyone fought and caused madness forever.

So basicly the Warp?
>>
>>46235233
Where is this webm from?
>>
>>46235280
Heres an idea. A group of Hollywood film makers (director, choreographer, advertiser, ect) are transported to a fantasy world. They, through a series of zany antics, are put in charge of turning some regular, down to earth farm boy into the kingdoms chosen hero, or at least making the kingdom think he is!
>>
>>46236547
Kek
>>
File: Happy Skeleton.jpg (24 KB, 600x360) Image search: [Google]
Happy Skeleton.jpg
24 KB, 600x360
>>46235233
We once did a one shot where we were all astronauts who were sent out to locate the wreckage of a previous Space Shuttle that had gone missing several decades ago.
Specifically we were trying to find what became of Lt. Marlena Glenn, the only known human to have ever 'died' in space.
As we came near the strange magnetic anomaly that forced the previous crew to abandon the Shuttle which Ms Lt. Glenn stayed behind on to ensure their survival we quickly notice the exact same issues that happened to them are now happening to us despite our shuttle being made specifically to investigate it.

We end up being fully affected by the anomaly and before long we notice we are now demonstrating the well known scientific curio called gravity.
We manage to bring it into a controlled decent and on failing to reach NASA or anyone else for that matter, have a rough, but survivable landing on a body of water that we didn't recognise from above.

We quickly notice we are in some fantasy land, running from a giant T-rex-esque creature.
Eventually find a settlement who point us towards the capital of the world.
Word of 'People beyond the stars' has travelled faster then we did and we find the King and Queen of this land wish to meet with us.
The Queen,we find to our amazement, is in fact our missing Lady Lt. Marlena Glenn. Now Queen Marlena.
>Wait a miniute
King introduces himself as King Randor

Our fucking DM's face when.
>>
we had a little one shot once where all of the players were in a ritzy prep school and were transported into the fantasy world. it was kind of nice. you can do interesting stuff because schools like that have activities like fencing and archery. hell even stuff like debate would translate into bards pretty well.
>>
>>46235233
MAGICAL ITEMS
not even hard
>>
Make it interesting by having other mundane people from earth warped into this world too but in different places and let your player see how they adapted and such
>>
>>46235233
Surival Horror.

They're transported int D&D, into close proximity of two cats.
>>
>>46236518
I hope the guy who thinks that a post is underrated if it goes 13 minutes without a reply gets teleported to catachan without his socks. I'm fucking patient.
>>46236459
My older brother ran a game where we went to a neighboring kingdom and had to deal with the bandits asking for our tourist visas and adventuring licenses. We eventually declared war on those fuckers because fuck that much paperwork (125 pages of triplicate to fucking request permission to request permission to request an interview for purposes of having my application to view the law books accepted. Thank god for high level wizards that want to staff the orphanage/adventurer school that you're setting up)
>>
cont. from >>46248376
because fuck field length
>>46237950
>Welcome to the Sigil Refugee Center. This zone is under magical effects, including but not limited to: Translation of Languages, Enforced Truthfulness, Security Protocols detailed in BSSC 2.36/C-a.1 through 2.36/E-zz.69, and other minor effects required by law and regulation. A full list is in the Visitor's Handbook, section 1a, pages 2 through 25.0
> If you require Environmental Conditions that are contradicted by these effects, please take a number for the Receptionist's Desk and wait for it to be called.
>Then inform the Receptionist that you require an interview for Reasonable Accommodations.
>Please fill out forms SRC-95a.1, IN-B4/U, and ID/10-T. If you require help with the forms, please refer to the Visitor's Handbook. If you are Illiterate, please take a number for the Receptionist's Desk and wait for it to be called.
>Then inform the Receptionist that you require an interview for Reasonable Accommodations.
>Completing the forms will place you on the waiting list for a status interview.
>When you have completed your forms, take a number for the Processing Desk, and wait for it to be called. When called, proceed to the indicated desk with your completed forms and any additional documentation that you have brought with you.
>After processing, take the provided Token marked REFUGEE-WAITING and proceed though the doors marked SECTION A.
>Instructions for SECTION A of the Sigil Refugee Center will provided in SECTION A.
>>
>>46248398
>If you must leave the line for any of the following:
>A) Hygenic Reasons, such as showers and waste release
>B) Nutritional Needs, such as eating and drinking
>C) Medical Needs, such as loss of limb or birth
>D) Arrest,
>or E) Sleep,
>Use the provided Place Marker to ensure that all Personal know that you are not immediately able to respond to your number being called.
>If your number has been called while the Place Marker is in use, retrieving it will ensure that you are placed in the Fast-Track line, on a first-come-first-served basis.
>Failure to respond to your number being called without activation of your Place Marker will result in your number being invalidated.
>>
>>46235452
>Implying the player characters are not better than everyone via magic
>Not having the fantasy world be a world of dreams and the outsiders are the only ones in it who can dream, thus monstrously powerful

How do you even live
>>
File: thumbnail_42289.jpg (41 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
thumbnail_42289.jpg
41 KB, 400x300
>>46243597
>King introduces himself as King Randor
You have a good DM. Treasure him
>>
All the players are from mundane earth, but are also gangster rappers.
>>
File: Vogon1_130515.jpg (20 KB, 360x244) Image search: [Google]
Vogon1_130515.jpg
20 KB, 360x244
>>46237950
>>46248398
>>46248417
>Vogon Fantasy Adventure
Pottery
>>
>>46235233
THat's retarded.
make it world's most retardedly racist game instead.
Play an american?
You always have guns leaded, however your only way of diplomacy or talking is shooting at people. And then tipping.
Playing a greek?
You're permanently in debted to someone.
Playing a spaniard?
Wherever you go, you must also rape. And sleep.
Playing a german?
No such thing, you're a nazi.
Playing an african?
You have a humorously huge dick and are dumb as a rock.
Playing an asian(you arr rook the same)?
You have a micro-dick and speak arr funny!
>>
>>46248802
/pol/ pls leave. racist jokes kinda wear thin pretty fast, by the end of a campaign I think I'd just be really bored from having to listen to the same shit over and over.
like okay, they have shock value but really that's all they have.
>>
>>46249047
>>46248802
Minus the asian and african part it's /int/ not /pol/
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.