[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Times your players have made you just happy to DM
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7
When have your players done something that just made you just plain happy with their shenanigans.

>Players come into a rectangular room with very small outcroppings under the door they're standing in and a rickety plank connected to a couple pieces of floor that's still standing.
>Across the room is a large door with an ornate keyhole on it.
>Rest of the room is filled with pits that are so deep you can't see into them.
>on one pillar is a skeleton with a humongous pile of rocks and a key around its neck.
>They take turns walking across these planks
>the skeleton throws rocks at them and every time it clicks and clacks in mock laughter
>they get pissed off and start yelling at it
>it makes "KNACK KNACK KNACK KNACK" mock laughter and does monkey dances at them
>they keep yelling at it and eventually the barbarian throws his shield at it
>it bounces off an invisible barrier and the skeleton manages to catch it
>it starts dancing with its new toy and the barbarian is officially pissed
>the wizard tries to cast fireball but it hits the barrier and does nothing
>the team throws multiple items at it, losing most of them into the pit
>the skeleton is pelting them with rocks the whole time and laughing
>they finally get tired of it and get to the locked door
>it's not locked at all
>barbarian throws his sword and has to deal with using a rock he caught as his weapon.
>>
File: 1433809964638.jpg (43 KB, 214x329) Image search: [Google]
1433809964638.jpg
43 KB, 214x329
>boss fight
>last hit on the guy is a critical hit

It doesn't matter what side of the table you're sitting on when that happens, everyone thinks it's awesome.
>>
File: 1703013-evil_anakin.jpg (35 KB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
1703013-evil_anakin.jpg
35 KB, 540x360
>>46233970
>Carnival in the city
>It's a group of evil PCs, waiting to be powerful enough to ovethrow the empress
>A random wizard is making dosh by casting fly on children to entertain them
>The magus decide to dispel the fly spell (kids are just flying above the head of people, so it won't hurt them much, but the wizard will lose his job)
>One of the PC wants to take advantage of this by catching a falling child (he is neutral)
>He also carries a lance.
>"Yeah, sure, no prob. Just one thing, roll a d20, if 1, you impale the child
>1
>Everyone laugh as the poor chiled dies and the PC is covered with his blood
>Everyone panick, guards come, and the PC disapear (teleportation)

I really like how all the other PCs didn't care what the result were, but found the death of the children funny, and even moreso his failure.
>>
File: petercishing frankenstein.jpg (53 KB, 450x580) Image search: [Google]
petercishing frankenstein.jpg
53 KB, 450x580
As I'm cleaning up everyone saying "that was a great session", laughing, and people breaking up to recap stuff that was funny or awesome or whatev

or really any time a player gets really emotional, scared, or angry in character, you can never plan it I think my group is pretty solid
>>
Whenever my players can discuss or debate about something for a long time among themselves without my input.

This always says to me: you've done a good job setting up all the npcs, events, scene, etc., to such a degree that they don't need any more detail or clarification. They're motivated and actively looking to achieve things rather than wait for plot hooks to be presented to them.
>>
>>46233970
That's just being an asshole.
>>
>>46236019
If you didn't tell him beforehand what a 1 would do that would have been totally out of line and not what rolling a 1 means.
But you did and he agreed to it so that's fun.
>>
>>46239129
Why? The PCs made the choice to throw their shit at the skeleton.
The DM presented them with an unlocked door and and annoying skeleton.
Throwing stuff wasn't even going to get them the key around its neck, the PCs were just angry and the only part of that room that quantifiably affected them negatively was due to their own anger.
It's hilarious.
>>
>>46239154
1s doing hilarious shit like that make the game interesting. Same goes for 20s.
>>
File: Crit Fail.png (33 KB, 1281x594) Image search: [Google]
Crit Fail.png
33 KB, 1281x594
>>46239255
Criticals should be fun, even if they're fails. A critical that isn't at least fun to watch is useless imo.
>>
>>46239181
So frustrating the players is okay then? I don't understand.
>>
>>46239604
They frustrated themselves. I'm pretty sure OP did not plan for a PC to throw his equipment.
>>
>>46239712
I'm sure he did plan for everyone to groan angrily as they realized the assumed locked door was not locked.
>>
>>46239733
>as they realized the assumed locked door was not locked.

You draw your own conclusions, no one forces you to make assumptions.

You're literally complaining that the DM described a cool looking tree in the center of the town square, but when you spent the next half-hour examining the tree from every possible angle, you realized it wasn't actually the plot-crucial detail you assumed it was just because he mentioned it.
>>
>>46239778
Everyone has different expectations when playing Tabletop. Sorry mine just happens to be different from yours.
>>
>>46239798
Your expectation is to be babied and never have your preconceived notions challenged or you'll cry?
>>
>>46239809
Nah, I just like to have fun, especially with my friends, not do something completely unnecessary and annoying.
>>
>>46239860
"lol its just a game stop takin it so serious lol"

That's your excuse for being salty if a DM subverts your expectations?
>>
>>46239867
Who said I was being salty? You don't even know how I would treat a situation like this. All I said was the DM was being a dick, I never said I would cry about it.

Maybe you're taking this a little too seriously? lmao.
>>
>>46239873
>Who said I was being salty? You don't even know how I would treat a situation like this.

Hold down ALT to find the activatables.
>>
>>46239939
>>
I've been writing down NPC names and town names/locations so that I can refer back to it if I need to. I hope it pleases my DM
>>
When a player comes up with a solution that I did not anticipate, and it is not murder or seduction, or they predict a plot twist and carefully plan around getting fucked.

> play only war
> one ogryn, two normal guardsmen and a guardswoman medic
> party crashlanded in ork territory
> got to make their way back to base
> suddenly spot gretchen patroll on their way towards them in a trukk
> originally planned them to ambush the patroll or let them pass
> ogry steps out of the woods and screams: "I AM DA BIGGEST AND DA STRONGEST"
> roll
> success
> "OI, HE IS DA BIGGEST AND DA STRONGEST" says half of them
> other half disagrees
> patroll kill eachother
>>
>>46236854
>petercishing
That's Peter Cushing you mongrel.
>>
>>46239984
Not your DM, but as a DM it pleases me.
>>
File: smug_wikihow_man_321.jpg (113 KB, 728x546) Image search: [Google]
smug_wikihow_man_321.jpg
113 KB, 728x546
>>46239954
>players are stupid enough to throw all of their equipment into a pit
>this is somehow the gm's fault

k
>>
>>46240078
well... That worked
>>
>>46233970
>playing system where skill checks are d100 roll under (e.g lower rolls are better)
>one PC has an ability that lets him reroll any die once a certain amount of times per session
>rolls a 99 on a skill check
>"I'm gonna reroll that, hang on"
>rolls a 100

Everyone laughed for about a minute straight.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.