[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would /tg/ go about running a RWBY inspired campaign?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: Rwby_manga_ad.jpg (194 KB, 730x526) Image search: [Google]
Rwby_manga_ad.jpg
194 KB, 730x526
How would /tg/ go about running a RWBY inspired campaign?
>>
>>46233342
By making combat as flaccid as physically possible.
>>
>>46233342
>All "character development" must include pouting
>Most weapons are a gun/melee combo
>Everyone gets a unique ability
>Some mechanic for aura reducing damage taken, drops a bit each time you get hit
>All "character development" MUST include pouting
>>
>>46233342
Well first I drink a bit before every session so I can tolerate the kind of players such a game would attract.
>>
>>46233442
I see nothing wrong with this.
>>
>>46233342
I was wondering what was wrong with that picture and then I realized: Yang has too many arms.
>>
Legends of the Wulin for all your over the top combat and special weapons needs.

Choose a cultural mythology to work from, perhaps explore a different set of themes with the same general premise, and hopefully end up with better characters and writing than the damn show.
>>
>>46233476
Ah, you know they're just going to have her pout and whine "My arm is goooooone!" to everyone in earshot for a few episodes and then slap a robo-arm on her, and it'll never be mentioned again.
>>
>>46233342
Anima.
>>
>>46233442
>Some mechanic for aura reducing damage taken, drops a bit each time you get hit
That's called hit points, anon.
>>
File: 3.5 Players.gif (685 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
3.5 Players.gif
685 KB, 500x281
>>46233342
I wouldn't, because sometime you have to realize just because something makes a good anime (or a shit-tier psuedo-anime in RWBY's case) doesn't mean it will make a good roleplaying game.
>>
>>46233342
it wouldnt
>>
>>46233342

This: >>46233663
>>
>>46233342
By dying in the middle of the campaign.
>>
>>46233342
Take all your writing cues from anime and make every character a walking high school anime cliche that spouts bad one-liners.
>>
File: 1404944232735.jpg (224 KB, 800x908) Image search: [Google]
1404944232735.jpg
224 KB, 800x908
>>46233342
>How would /tg/ go about running a RWBY inspired campaign?

I wouldn't.

Not because I dislike the setting, but because the flashy fast paced combat that makes RWBY fun to watch would translate poorly if it were brought over to a tabletop role playing game. Most GMs with very diverse and colorful vocabularies get choked up when describing anime style fight scenes. If you used any system that was turn-based the combat would be sluggish and interrupted by initiate and turn order. I know this because I had a friend who participated in a RWBY campaign at my local game store. The poor bastards were using D&D 4e and the combat was so pitiful people were pulling out phones between turns.

However, if you want an actual answer I would honestly use the Star Wars RPG dice pool. The Success and Advantage system creates some really fun gameplay. I GM one session a week and we've had some really fun ship chases and shootouts using the system. Far more enjoyable and cinematic than a d20 combat system, if a little less versatile.

>If you were just concerned about the setting

If you just needed input on how to run the setting, just tell your players to name themselves after a color and give them all overly complex weapons that would be impossible to engineer. Just pick two weapons from whatever system you're using and pair them together as one item. Make swapping them out a minor action or minor feat and now you have characters who essentially just have two weapons equipped in the same slot. Everything else is just doing your homework on the setting and writing a compelling story.
>>
>>46236541
>Star Wars RPG dice pool
I found this to be one of the most obtuse mechanics ever.
>>
>>46233342
Not at all, because in general, /tg/ reacts to RWBY about as well as it does to MLP: Seizures, foaming at the mouth and uncontrollable swearing.
The symptoms are less pronounced because the trigger is different in nature, but they are just as inimical to productivity.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.