[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Metaspells
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: tasty2.png (45 KB, 157x330) Image search: [Google]
tasty2.png
45 KB, 157x330
What if the way metamagic worked was through its own spells? For example, you might cast the spell "still spell", which would have a verbal component but not a somatic component, and then the next spell you cast after that could be cast without its somatic component?

I think it'd be a nice way to keep the flexibility that metamagic allows, but giving it a more direct cost than just "take this feat and you can cast magic without wiggling your fingers".

If we were to use this in the context of overcharged spells in 5th edition, maybe you would get +1 spell affected per higher spell level, so that way you could cast a silent, stilled spell, but it'd be more costly.
>>
>>46211938
I think this was how AD&D did it.

For 5e, you could just have metamagic spells each be special bonus action spells that can be cast in the same round as cantrip spells.

Or standard action spells that have the wording "you cast a spell you have prepared that is X level lower than the spellslot this spell is cast with" or something like that.
>>
>>46211938
>For example, you might cast the spell "still spell", which would have a verbal component but not a somatic component, and then the next spell you cast after that could be cast without its somatic component?
Congrats on making Silent Spell worthless.
>>
>>46212106
Don't even get me started on the "Cast Spell" spell, then.
>>
>>46212106
Silent spell would have a somatic component but not a verbal component. This is so that if you're silenced, you can cast silent spell and then whatever other spell you want to cast, and if your arms are bound, you can cast still spell and then whatever spell you want to cast.
>>
>>46211938
There is Metamagic in Pathfinder and the such. They define it as "preforming the spell in such a way as to change its context without altering the main effect." I would imagine it to be something like drawing a triangle by making circular curves at the corners, effectively turning a 60° angle into a 300° turn without changing it from being a triangle.

And yes, one of them is to make the "sounds" in different ways.
>>
>>46212581
That's a nice description, but it feels weird to turn that sort of thing into a feat. If it's just casting the spell differently, than it shouldn't require a feat, and if it simply requires more finesse, then it should be built into the character progression without being made into a feat. After all, any artist worth their salt could draw the same thing in a number of different ways. Even if silent casting or still casting is a skill that needs to be learned, it feels weird to make it into a character building option that has to be specifically chosen -- that complicates the game even more than just having different versions of the same spell.
>>
>>46211938
>What if the way metamagic worked was through its own spells? For example, you might cast the spell "still spell", which would have a verbal component but not a somatic component, and then the next spell you cast after that could be cast without its somatic component?
What, you mean, literally sorcerers in D&D 5e?
>>
>>46212019
>I think this was how AD&D did it.
That is how AD&D did it.
It was awful.

It's all from Tome of Magic, for those curious.
But here it is:
>3rd Level Spells
Augmentation I (invo./evo.) ~ 1-3 (+1) ~ increase to each die of direct damage
Far Reaching I (alter.) ~ 1-2 (+50%), 3 (+25%) ~ increase to range
Squaring the Circle (alter.) ~ 1-5 ~ square AoEs become circle (edge lengths becomes diameter), and vice versa OR squares become rectangles of equal area OR circles becomes ovals of equal area
>4th Level Spells
Dilation I (alter.) ~ 1-3 (+25%) ~ increase to AoE size
Far Reaching II (alter.) ~ 1-2 (+100%), 3 (+50%), 4 (+25%) ~ increase to range
>5th level Spells
Far Reaching III (alter.) ~ 1-3 (+150%), 4-5 (+50%) ~ increase to range of spells
Augmentation II (evo.) ~ 1-3 ~ increase to each die direct damage for next 5 spells within next 3 turns
Dilation II (alter.) ~ 1-3 (+50%), 4-5 (+25%) ~ increase to AoE size

Augmentation I belongs to the school of Invocation/Evocation, Augmentation II belongs to the school of Evocation, all other metamagic belongs to teh school of Alteration.
Aside from Augmentation II (which lasts 30 rounds), all other metamagic lasts only 1 round.
>>
>>46212180
What if you're gagged and bound?
>>
File: spell conversion feats.png (141 KB, 389x907) Image search: [Google]
spell conversion feats.png
141 KB, 389x907
How about this.
You get two spell points per level of Mage.
It costs the spells level to cast it (ie level 2 spell costs 2 SP).
These feats and a few more I didn't edit in can modify them to be better or worse for extra or lowered cost.
Furthermore, each feat also adds +1 to the save DCs your spell prompts.
>>
File: 1454914944905.png (35 KB, 263x263) Image search: [Google]
1454914944905.png
35 KB, 263x263
>>46211938
>Using your soup laddle to taste
>Not using a separate spoon or bowl
Why is Marcille so disgusting?
>>
>>46212811
Pathfinder has it where pushing more umph into your attack at the cost accuracy is a feat.

Metamagic is one of the better feats in regard to what they are in reality.
>>
Das Schwarze Auge has the magic essence of Kraft (force/effort) which allows you to directly manipulate magic. And it doesn't just work on your own magic, you can use it to directly counter spells or to temporarily cut someone off from their essences. You can even force buffs on their spells to make them drain their astral energy quicker, or cast from HP which kills most casters in a hurry.
>>
>>46212180
What if you silent spell still spell?
>>
>>46211938
>I think it'd be a nice way to keep the flexibility that metamagic allows, but giving it a more direct cost than just "take this feat and you can cast magic without wiggling your fingers".
The cost is that meta'd spell takes a higher slot i.e. you need to spend some of your higher power on a lower effect.
>>
>>46217444
They have a single pot, worn on the back of the dwarf that empties the dungeon latrines. And how often do you think they have enough spare water to wash with?
>>
>>46214550
Hot.
>>
>>46218223
Then you can cast still spell without speaking, allowing you to cast the next spell without moving.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.