[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is being special a bad thing again?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: 1455413135664.jpg (91 KB, 392x750) Image search: [Google]
1455413135664.jpg
91 KB, 392x750
Why is being special a bad thing again?
>>
>>46211614

Why is being special a good thing again?
>>
>>46211614
Just compare a normal person to an autist and it'll all become clear.
>>
>>46211614
"Lulz I'm sooo different, just like all those other people who are different."
>>
>>46211614
Technically, everyone in the game is 'special', because they're a character unique to the setting they're in (usually). It's when that one cunt starts calling attention to how much more special their character is and how they're better than all the other characters that it starts to get obnoxious.
>>
File: sleepy sheep.png (812 KB, 713x779) Image search: [Google]
sleepy sheep.png
812 KB, 713x779
>>46211614
Because that shiny special pokemon can be traded up for better/rarer statwise/HA bred pokemon amongst collectors.
>>
>>46212672
>not preparing a set of perfect IV pokemon from every egg group with every egg move
>not exchanging those pokemon for an identical set from a player from a foreign country
>not grinding eggs for a week straight while using a shiny charm
>not breeding your own perfect IV, perfect natured, perfect abilitied shiny pokemon
Why even live?
>>
>>46215205
I wouldn't call that having a life
>>
Pokemon seems really fucking dull when you reduce it all to data instead of fun monsters in a game.

There are people out there min-maxing their IVs or EVs or whatever, trying over and over for the 1 in 65,536 chance of getting the perfect shiny ultra-rare one?

Shit, I was happy just getting a Pikachu in Viridian Forest. They shouldn't add this level of gambling and metagaming to a children's game.
>>
>>46215405
I mean, you say that, but there's some incredibly interesting and varied options for the parties people can play.

Just because it's meant for a younger group doesn't mean the game can't have depth or strategy.
>>
>>46215405
It's really silly.
I played almost every Pokemon from the originals to Black and White. I'm talking I had Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Leaf Green, Platinum, Heart Gold, and Black, and beat them all, sometimes multiple times, over the course of 15+ years.

I didn't know what IVs and EVs were until like 2013, and I didn't see a shiny until I caught a shiny Geodude in Platinum in 2009 and haven't seen once since. I like me some Pokemon, but this is shit a minuscule percentage of everybody who plays Pokemon will ever encounter or use. I wouldn't doubt if it's far below 1%.
>>
>>46215405
EVs aren't a problem they're just stat boosts you get for fighting certain monsters. The newest games even show your EV spread and have a mini game to manually grind EVs if you want. They should just rename them Skill Points, allow you to pick which points you want allocated (right now it does it automatically upon defeating a pokémon), and prompt the player to do so upon a level up so that they won't be intimidated by it.

IVs are the real issue. They are supposed to simulate genetics by giving you unchangeable stat values that make pokémon more unique. You can manipulate it through breeding but it's still super RNG. They should just remove it. Casual players don't know or care and PVPers only grudingly put up with it because they have to.
>>
>>46215405
IVs and EVs were in the games since the beginning anon. It's just something most people didn't know until the game was data mined.

Over the course of the games, namely X/Y and beyond, they been pretty clear about how EVs and IVs work and have added lots of ways to manipulated them and make them easier to manage. Hell back when I was doing so in X around 18months ago, I got several several pokes with perfect stats bred up in multiples for me and my friends to use. And thats with playing maybe 3-5hrs total per week. Main thing is learning how to do it efficiently, having a bit of patience, and the proper tools to do so (like high IV dittos and shit).
>>
>>>46215405 trying over and over for the 1 in 65,536
If you stack the Masuda method and a shiny charm you get it down to 1 in 512.
But to use a Shiny Charm you have to give up on either a Destiny Know or an Everstone.
The Destiny Know helps your odds considerably more, so you'd keep that over the Everstone.

1/512 * 1/25 (getting the correct nature) * 1/32 (getting the perfect 6th IV) * 1/2 (getting the correct ability) comes out the be 1 in 819,200.
BUT the 1 in 65,536 chance doesn''t account for the correct 6th IV and ability either, so it's really 1 in 4,194,304 if you want it perfect.
And if your pokemon is a pure Special attacker you add an extra 1/6 (for the 6th IV to /be/ Attack). The 1/32 remains but you're aiming for 0 (from 0-31) instead of 31.

>Source:
I know a guy who's bred several perfect shiny pokemon.
>>
>>46215892 (addendum)
>1/2 (getting the correct ability)
You can control this part a bit better if you're aiming for the hidden ability.
>>
>>46211614
Being different or even "special" isn't bad. It's what makes you one of the main characters in the first place.

Being an insufferable prick about how super special and unique you are is bad.
>>
>>46215605
EV and IVs have been getting easier and easier to obtain as the games have progressed. And you can ignore them anyway if you just want to beat the game or focus on catching Mon. They're there for the competitive players and for the people wanting to do the post game challenges.

Also with online trading being a thing now it's pretty easy to find someone willing to give away well bred mons. /vp/ has giveaways on an almost daily basis
>>
>>46211614
Being special is NOT an inherent property of things, rather it is the definite intersection of an uncertain ammount of properties that when correctly mixed, brings to the table something that is both unique and useful in a large number of environments, or incredibly useful in a few ones that don't enjoy much coverage, AND let's not forget, such characteristic should not bring a penalty that outweighs its benefits.

Having a knack to understand people's motivations and drives at a first glance is special, because it's both useful and incredibly rare. Having multicolored eyes, while pretty, it's mostly rare only, since it doesn't bring that much of a benefit and in some cases it may even become a hindrance, thus depending entirely on context.

Being special isn't bad at all, but it's incredibly hard to pull off, that's why it's special.

Pretending that something is special just because it is unusual, and should be given more value without merit, it's both a horrible and incredibly COMMON and base mistake that people make when they *want* to be special yet fail incredibly in the process because they pay more attention to the unusual rather than the beneficial aspect of the deal. This makes things seem like weird, fake and out of place even on a fictional level.

Now please someone get a few posts accurate enough to screencap, and let's not make this thread ever again.
>>
>>46211614
By virtue of being a PC you're already special in most games, so people complaining about you not sticking 100% to the appearance, culture, or personality of your race/whatever are idiots.
>>
>>46211614
Being special isn't a bad thing, it's people trying to force their specialness onto a game that's bad. Your PC should become special based on the deeds he performs in-game, not because he's some half-demon half-angel edgelord who constantly "teleports behind you" even though he's only level 1.
>>
>>46216535
>Your PC should become special based on the deeds he performs in-game, not because he's some half-demon half-angel edgelord who constantly "teleports behind you" even though he's only level 1.
But you can't change your racial make up later and, in DnD at least, the PCs are already special little superhumans above the common rabble.
>>
>>46216576
Yes, but they still exist within the setting and need to be consistent with it.

As the Anon above said a lot of "special snowflake" PCs are from people who think tossing a bunch of weird physical traits into a blender is how you make a good character without taking the time to actually you know, make a good character.

That said there's nothing inherently wrong with being some weird chimera of races or even playing an edgelord PC. So long as you can justify it and roleplay it properly.
>>
>>46211614
I've played a lot of special snowflakes and a lot of regular boring fucking pleb characters, but regardless they're always still part of a party and the plot doesn't fucking revolve around me. It would be better if people could keep that in mind about their characters as well.
>>
>>46211614
Way I see it, too many unique characteristics are often piled on as a superficial attempt to emulate cool characters without understanding the underlying reasons why they're cool.

Unique affectations aren't something that make you cool, but good characters get away with unique affectations in spite of it.

It's like how someone with Adonis-like features can look good in aviators, or your tall dark and handsome classic movie stars look good with a fedora and trenchcoat, but only enhances the pathetic nature of a scrawny/fat neckbeard.
>>
>>46216840
Thank you for sparing my time by writing this post, do I wouldn't have to.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.