[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell us about your unique races
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 34
I like fantasy races, you like fantasy races. Let's share some ideas.
>unique races
>twists on classic races
>interesting beast folk
Culture, appearance, skills... share it all!
>>
File: 1393259808917.jpg (181 KB, 500x401) Image search: [Google]
1393259808917.jpg
181 KB, 500x401
Bird people.
>>
>>46197360
I LOVED THAT GAME

Lilty master race!
>>
>>46198111
It was a very good game
But you misspelled Yuke
>>
>>46198084
I want to introduce bird people in a new campaign a couple days from now.
I was imagining a short, broad, dwarf-like race, whit feathers and beaks but no wings. Picture large owls with arms.
>>
>>46198205
>Picture large owls with arms.
That sounds adorable. Or terrifying. Owls can go from one to the other very quickly.
>>
File: stryxis.jpg (135 KB, 633x1024) Image search: [Google]
stryxis.jpg
135 KB, 633x1024
>>46197360
What a nice collection of meat, tough, interesting meat... Are they for sale? Hehe, of course they are. Just name the price, biped.
>>
File: vanuvanu_ff14.jpg (13 KB, 190x243) Image search: [Google]
vanuvanu_ff14.jpg
13 KB, 190x243
>>46198205
>>46198230
like these guys?
>>
File: 315px-Quill.png (240 KB, 315x600) Image search: [Google]
315px-Quill.png
240 KB, 315x600
>>46198205
>>46198230
I think I have just the thing you're looking for.
>>
>>46198205
>>
A race or living armour. They fight all the time, are boisterous and believe no negotiation is complete without a table flip. They eat gold to get more powerful and to change forms/weapons and pull a portion of gold from other defeated living armour. They fight among themselves and dwarves.

They're daemons, made during pre-history like most daemons but since they could survive with only a little amount of gold for a long time they still remain in the normal world, unlike other daemons.
>>
>>46198384
>>46198758
Yes! I actually even imagined them with less prominent arms. A bird with its wings folded is just like a chubby, feathery cylinder with a head and legs. Now attach chubby little arms to that.
>>46198391
No not really, but it's appreciated!
>>
>>46198320
Cool, what can you tell me about these guys? And why would he refer to others as 'biped' when he's clearly also bipedal?
>>
>>46199046
They sound like both a badass race and a dick race.
>>
>>46199208
They're from the Rogue Trader RPG. They travel around space in caravans composed of a salvaged ships chained together, and love trading. What they consider valuable is highly unpredictable, as is what you get from them. They might trade some valuable items for random junk one day, and then ask an exorbitant price for the same items the next. Most of the stuff they sell is random junk, but are very good at finding obscure information and big on slave trade, either buying slaves or selling their vat-grown servitor-equivalents to anybody interested.

Other than that the only thing known is that despite mostly using salvaged technology form other races (so far nobody has seen them using starships of their own design) they have unique and very nasty weapons, which are the one thing they'll absolutely refuse to sell, and they hate and fear the Eldar above all else. They also seem to have a natural ability to see Warp currents in the same way human Navigators do.
Their homeworld, and most things about their culture beyond their love for trading, are unknown.
>>
Slime people
Back in the day when psionics were common, a woman with an exceptionally powerful mind was ambushed and devoured by a slime, but her personality psionically dominated the slime's primitive instincts. Driven mad by her new form, she resorted to devouring other humans to reproduce and make others like her.

Though amorphous, the "memory" of humanity is well imprinted on their minds. They appear as brightly-colored slimes in humanoid shapes. Lesser individuals tend not to keep distinct legs, instead letting their lower halves melt into a blob. While they're social creatures and enjoy company, actual societies are rare. While they appear to have males and females, their gender is purely vestigial.

In present times, they maintain a small population by raiding settlements and managing to survive eradication. Their intelligence has faded somewhat, becoming simpler and more single-minded than their human prey. They tend toward evil behavior, indiscriminately attacking non-slimes when left alone, but their intense desire for companions makes them easy to talk down and befriend (or manipulate).

In particular, they adore clothes and will gladly serve others in exchange for pieces of clothing (assuming they can't simply kill the wearer and take them.) Maintaining humanoid shape is a wearisome task and clothes help in that regard. A slime person's intelligence rapidly increases when wearing clothes, as less of their mental bandwidth is required to hold a shape and can be devoted to intellect, personality, and social behavior. Armor is particularly valuable to them in this regard for its rigidity and protective quality.

When a slime-person acquires a more-or-less complete outfit, he or she can gradually develop intelligence on par with humans. Not only are they capable of hardening their liquid membranes to a skinlike toughness, they can extend and morph their bodies with ease.

Legends say the progenitor still exists, referred to as the Slime Queen, hidden away.
>>
File: Oriental Races.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Oriental Races.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46197360
Well, in this PDF I have my personally-invented race for an Oriental Adventures game, the Babi Ngepet, based on monsters from Indonesian mythology.
>>
Forest spirits. Not sure what to call them yet.

The God of Methve forest uplifted a race of trickster guardians from wild fey to protect the forest from enroaching human civillisation.
They're limited shapeshifters, capable of switching from between 3 different forms.

Their natural or resting form is a small green-skinned humanoid, standing 3-4 feet tall. They posses almond-shaped eyes and pointed noses and ears. Etheral wings project from their backs, distinct from their bodies but enabling them with flight.

In their temptor or glamoured form they appear as unnaturally beautiful humans, their glamour extending to the world around them. Light catches dust and makes the air sparkle around them, small forest animals frolic in their wake and they take to any action with apparent talent and grace. The only clue to their inhuman nature is the small pointed tip at the top of their ear.

In their warform their body their face elongates into a fang-filled maw with tusks, red eyes and a mohawk that extends all the way down their spine. Their limbs, especially their arms branch out into long grasping claws with razor talons. In this form they posses heightened senses, reflexes, strength and agility.

They were going to be my pet setting's elves but I figure they're different enough to be something else at this point.
>>
>>46199531
Slime people have nuclei that they must protect dearly. Physical attacks have no effect on their gel-like bodies, but their nucleus cores are very fragile and easily destroyed. Tough helmets and breastplates are considered invaluable for the safe haven they can provide a nucleus. It's not unheard of for clever mages or alchemists to extract the core whole and use it to create faithful artificial servants.

When a slime becomes sapient enough to choose a class, they tend to prefer barbarians, sorcerers, and other classes that rely on innate characteristics rather than trained skills. Many slimes are able to awaken the latent psychic power of their lineage, but it's highly unusual for any one slime to live long enough to pursue studies of wizardry or roguish tricks, or to develop the discipline and piety necessary to live as a monk, cleric, or paladin.

Slimes are reviled by all other civilized races for their habit of devouring humanoids, and are frequently hunted to the brink of extinction, but their ability to reproduce asexually and quickly allows them to bounce back. A slime person must devour sapient individuals to produce others of their kind. While they can eat lesser creatures to increase their mass, without a personality they can only produce simple slimes, indistinguishable from ordinary oozes.
>>
>>46199531
>>46199872
magical realm/10
but pretty good
>>
File: 1689_token3a.jpg (68 KB, 350x489) Image search: [Google]
1689_token3a.jpg
68 KB, 350x489
I tweaked a few for my own setting that I've been working on. Humans, ogres, hobgoblins, doppelgangers and merfolk are still mostly the same, but others I've changed.

Basilisks are arboreal lizardfolk. They live in temporary treetop villages, and since it's hard to store written material over time they have developed a strong oral tradition.

Salamanders are savage, fire-resistant crocodile-folk, with a penchant for setting themselves ablaze before charging into battle. It doesn't make them more effective, per se, it just freaks out the smaller races (most of them).

Gnolls are runty little hyena folk similar to the picture. They can be clever attackers and have superior numbers, but are too busy jockeying in their ladder hierarchies to bother others most of the time.
>>
Mormons.
>>
>>46199887
Oh yeah it's totally magical realm.

I was trying to keep it clean and I still ended up half mast by the time I finished typing it out.
>>
>>46199872
>>46199887
I have no idea how you were able to tell that it was magical realm. Maybe I'm just not up to date on modern fetishes, but if my DM brought this up in a game I would just think it was kind of weird, rather than sexual.
>>
File: 1357346869516.png (280 KB, 442x334) Image search: [Google]
1357346869516.png
280 KB, 442x334
>>46200066
Takes one to know one.
>>
File: Monster-gooarmor.jpg (742 KB, 605x900) Image search: [Google]
Monster-gooarmor.jpg
742 KB, 605x900
>>46200066
Slimegirls are right up there with centaur women and other "monster girl" fetishes

They all got some mainstream exposure now that Everyday Life with Monster Girls got an anime.

It's good thought that it passes for acceptable to the uninitiated. I could have easily made the race all-female, but that would have been pushing the envelope, on top of the fact it would kinda make them less interesting.
>>
I basically just mashed halflings, gnomes, and dwarves together and gave them a funny name.
>>
My own version of goblins:
Goblins are biologically immortal, yet their life-cycle looks like natural selection high on meth. They reproduce like rabbits, keeping the tribes always overpopulated with young, small deformed goblins. Very often these creatures are deformed in a way, abnormal proportions and even extra limbs are a common occurrence.
Although they are born extremely dumb, they can gain tremendous knowledge... through trail and error. Which means young goblins are dangerously eager and curios. 50% will die in their first year of life, mostly through stupidity.
However, a small percentage of these goblins will survive for years and grow up to become very wise. Those lucky few will take roles of leadership or remove themselves from the tribe in order to pursue knowledge.

Very often you'll find a wise, age-old shaman at the centre of a tribe of countless nitwits. In other cases you'll find a solitary goblin sage who's spending it's immortal life pondering the most difficult of philosophical questions.

If this fast-and-loose way of reproduction pays off in the long term is hard to say, since goblin offspring seems equally stupid and deformed each year. Whenever you ask a druid about the nature of goblins, they will say that goblins are in fact not natural in any sense.
>>
File: kammandos.png (435 KB, 1203x615) Image search: [Google]
kammandos.png
435 KB, 1203x615
>>46200281
The Anonimi, wish Ohp'pee would make a new thread, there is so much potential in these little bastards but they're not ready yet.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_mnue54xUPt1qz4rgp.png (356 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_mnue54xUPt1qz4rgp.png
356 KB, 500x700
One of those old CivQuest threads had me playing a race who evolved in a supremely dark forest. (Massive trees, almost no sunlight reaching the forest floor) Their biological adaption was to be entirely covered in short black fur, rendering them nearly invisible as long as they didn't move too much in the murky undergrowth.
Fire is usually seen as the iconic "first" discovery of barbaric tribes, marking the threshold between man and beast, but for this race it was clothing. Only the brightest of cloth could be seen in the gloom, and so it became a status symbol, entwining politics and religion into their fashion-based culture. Their queen was pic related, who wore vivid green, and was revered as a demi-god for it.

Whereas everyone else was Military and Technology orientated, but I spammed Culture for "Influence Points" and ended up converting vast swathes of enemy populations to my religion.
Then the guy who made a rape-fetish Civ beat everyone else because he could replenish his population faster than we could convert/kill them.

Thinking back, most CivBuilders ended up with the Fetish side winning...
>>
>>46198084
Sleep tight tweeters.
>>
File: Endless-Legend-The-Broken-Lords.jpg (242 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Endless-Legend-The-Broken-Lords.jpg
242 KB, 1600x900
>>46199046
Endless Legend has a really cool take on a race of living armor
>>
>>46200398
what are they?
>>
>>46200398
You could always OP it bud
>>
>>46198111
If there was any evidence I was a ronry nerd it was that I played selkie females (short hair is superior)
>>
>>46197360
>Tell us about your unique races
Well, ever read Edgar Rice Burroughs' "Out of Time's Abyss"? I've basically got a race of what basically amounts to fallen angels that's based partially on the Weiroo. (For those who don't know, they're basically all-male winged hominids that rely on rape to propagate, and have a fucked-up society where advancement is dictated by the number of murders you can get away with.)

My race works a bit differently. For starters, there are both male and female populations, although they have become severely divergent and have basically hated each others' guts since the "great divorce".

Second, and perhaps more significantly, they've basically got warp-fuckery in their genes, meaning that their physical form is kind of hard to pin down (also means they've got less free will). So the males may appear as wise sages or vicious bat-things, the females as beautiful maidens or ferocious hawk-beasts; whether this is shapeshifting or illusions is moot, because magic in the setting basically just fucks with all notion of "objective reality".

They aren't really known of by common folk, seeing as you basically have to wander fairly close to the realm of chaos to find them (granted, that's actually not too difficult to do without even noticing if you're an adventurer). But a peasant would probably call the males "vampires", "gargoyles", or "demons", even though they have nothing to do with undeath, stone, and fire/brimstone/tormenting souls (and there are other beings which do). Ironically enough, the original meaning of "daemon" is kind of accurate, but even more generic. Laymen would also name the females "Sirens", "Harpies", or "Succubi"; surprisingly more accurate and precise terms (though still flawed).

Oh, and also there are relatively few of them, but they may be multiplied due to multiple parallel "pocket" dimensions interacting with the same "main" one.
>>
File: Magicians.png (291 KB, 685x669) Image search: [Google]
Magicians.png
291 KB, 685x669
>>46200696

They are us basically, Tiny Anons. Clans/Tribes based on the boards, very neat and very cute in design.
>>
>>46200776
Nah, I wouldn't be too good at it. I couldn't run a thread to save my life!
>>
>>46200417
isn't that the dolorosa from homestuck?
>>
I'm working on a campaign and I'm considering a few custom races.

The one I'm fleshing out right now isn't all that creative, but I like working on their culture and story.
Basically their a race of merpeople who have started living on the land. They live in a giant river delta. They don't live in the water anymore but they live in a harmony with the water. I'm still working on it.

A few other things I'm considering are goatpeople who live in the mountains and maybe some sort of elf nomad / gypsies mixed with something else I'm not sure yet.
>>
File: XCX-Kun'ayb-01.png (541 KB, 621x444) Image search: [Google]
XCX-Kun'ayb-01.png
541 KB, 621x444
My Ovah has dictated to me that I must post this pic in the thread

Jokes aside, this game had some cool races, despite the game itself feeling disappointing by the end of it
>>
>>46202240
A fact that was pointed out to me in said CivThread. I found the pic in some "Fantasy Art" Imgur album a while ago, and decided to base the race on it. From what I'm told, my race wasn't that far off from the canon material, in that they were religious and aggressively expansionist. I wiki-ed The Dolorosa just now, but understand nothing of what I'm seeing, except that she seems to be a Mother Figure of sorts, so I guess the Religious Queen thing I did wasn't too far off either.
>>
>>46199938
For your basilisks, do you have a specific lizard type in mind? I suggest you go with a sort of brachiating komodo dragon/monitor lizard. Then you can make their name "basilisk" comes from the paralytic toxins found in their saliva. It causes people to contort and their limbs freeze up.
>>
File: giff.gif (18 KB, 250x300) Image search: [Google]
giff.gif
18 KB, 250x300
>>46197360
It's not exactly a race I've made myself, but I've always loved the idea of a race of spacefaring hippo people with (comparatively) advanced levels of technology in fantasy games.
>>
Bug people who were originally magically created as cockroach myrmidons with troll like regeneration who will loyally serve their contracts to death and are incredibly paranoid of everyone who isn't their current boss, even each other. They were tricked into serving "Queens" who could change or copy their scent markers, who function more like mole rat queens that were engineer by the opposing faction.

In hives they purposefully lobotomize and/or surgically alter their young to serve specific purposes when they reach full size. The non lobotomized Elite class who received and survived more intensive surgery live at the top on decadence with their every need catered to by the workers.

When they've grown up in solitude or are exiled they seek out new master and swear their loyalty to those who treat them the best. Its usually a bad idea to contract multiple as without contracting an "alpha" they will constantly bicker and try to convince their master the other will betray them.
>>
I sadly don't usually create too many unique races.

I tend to have mostly humans just with odd bloodlines stretching to the mystic past or animal people.
>>
>>46203315
Imagine how annoying it would be if you hired 15+ to defend you.

Master! I think #2 is going to betray you!
No master, I won't betray you. #7 will!
I ain't betraying nobody, It's #3 who is betraying bastard!
Naw man, I can guarantee that I'm not like #12.
>>
>>46200684
Endless Legend, and the whole Endless series in fact, has some pretty neat takes on fantasy races in general.

The Broken Lords were an order of flesh-and-blood knights at one point, but now seem to be spirits haunting suits of armor. Now they subsist on Dust which is money/magic/(crazy nanomachines) to survive, or by draining the life from other people, which is significantly easier than collecting Dust...

Necrophages are man-sized insects. They make 'human' sacrifices to appease their gods and (mechanically) can only make war. Also they eat people, if you couldn't tell.

Wild Walkers are like elves, except they look like Twi'leks, are all berserkers, and have a hivemind/forestmind thing going on.

Drakken are long-lived wyvern-people and the game's diplomancers.

Cultists are a 'race' of robotic servants that helped the ancient highly-advanced aliens that built the planet/artificial biome you live on. They hate the aliens that made them and want to destroy all remaining signs of them, and they will enslave and culturally assimilate everyone in order to do so.

Then there are four groups of humans, including merchant humans, cast-magic-through-pain mage human, exiled shadow people humans, and 'we actually crash landed on this planet generations ago but forgot' military humans.
>>
File: AdorableDruid.jpg (8 KB, 260x194) Image search: [Google]
AdorableDruid.jpg
8 KB, 260x194
Lepa, halfling-likes with rabbit features and a druidic bent due to their progenitor goddess being associated with nature and the moon.
They live in small hobbit-like homes within a lush forest whose magical bent makes it a threat to most other races.
Females are slightly but not significantly larger than males.
They are fearful of humans with red hair, due to the figure being associated with a hostile god of war and wolves.

There are four major categories of Lepa- scouts, warren-keepers, shields, and secret-keepers.
Scouts check the forest for signs of hostile upgrowths, beasts, or magic, as well as making sure no invaders are entering the area.
Warren-keepers refer to parents, foragers, cooks, and the like- this is mostly your 'NPC' subtype, so I haven't given them a subtype statblock change because it doesn't make sense for them to adventure.
Shields are effectively the warrior or hunter caste, though they rarely see battle with humanoids because of the nature of their realm.
Secret-keepers are magic-users (primarily druids) and the historians of the tribes.

I can't really find a good image for them that doesn't seem cartoonish or magical-realm, so have a bunny.
>>
>>46203549
That is exactly what I wanted. I want an excuse to have them used as mercenaries by crime lords and unsavory lords but for an excuse for there not to be too many of them under one person.

But the exchanges sounded hilarious in my head too.
>>
>>46198205
Large Magical Beast...
>>
>>46199531
>>46199872
What if one were to deliberately choose to melt into a blob for an extended period of time? Would they become smarter? Would their psychic powers develop more? What if they did it by oozing into a box or barrel?
>>
>>46204308
They probably think that humanoid races are smarter, so being humanoid makes them smarter.
And magic being magic, that's how it works.

Even if that's not how the magic works, because it's psionics, the way it works is how they think it works.
>>
>>46204214
Only a little bit
>>
>>46199531
I like them.
>>
File: 1391304838359.gif (3 MB, 359x400) Image search: [Google]
1391304838359.gif
3 MB, 359x400
>>46199531
Stealing that bit on clothing and armor being used to help them maintain a humanoid form for my own slime people. I like it a lot.
>>
File: Redwall Wreath.jpg (1 MB, 2351x1200) Image search: [Google]
Redwall Wreath.jpg
1 MB, 2351x1200
>>46197360
Just this
>>
>>46206730
I loved this series growing up. I wish I could still enjoy things like that.
>>
>>46207176
Have you heard of Mice and Mystics?
>>
>>46197360

Snake people. Not nagas, straight up snakes.

The ends of their tails are prehensile and so are their tongues
>>
File: Snid Compilation Downsize.png (282 KB, 1000x625) Image search: [Google]
Snid Compilation Downsize.png
282 KB, 1000x625
Crustacean people, the Snid!
Some live on the ocean floor, but most live up on the shores and coastlines, with a few dwelling by rivers and lakes. They don't need water though, they just prefer it. Some subraces of Hermit Snid mostly live in forests.

They are predisposed to violence; and this reflects in a few unique cultural aspects. To become the king, for instance, you need to kill the king in a fight. If he dies by other means, whoever sits on the throne gets it. Which often results in a king-of-the-hill style slaughter. This means the king of the Snid is always a huge fucking badass.

Snid don't die from old age. They just keep getting bigger and tougher. Snid are considered adult at six feet tall, which takes 10-15 years in most cases. Their violent and overbrave nature often leads them to dying before 30 or so, since little Bjorgas thinks it would be cool if he tried to kill a dragon (hint: he's gonna die). Furthermore, the bigger and older a Snid gets, the more likely that other Snid will kill him to show off.

They come in many varieties. The Birgusnid are fucking huge, living mostly on tropical isles. They are a bit daft though. Hermit Snid and regular Snid are like angry Finnish people. Hermit Snid are a bit more clever than others and carve their life stories and great victories on their shells. Some esoteric Hermit Snid magicians carve their spell runes on their shells. Shellcasters! Longsnid are angry Japanese.
>>
File: crablante.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
crablante.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>46208098
CRAAAAB PEOPLE
>>
File: snidpic downsize.png (898 KB, 1125x1491) Image search: [Google]
snidpic downsize.png
898 KB, 1125x1491
>>46208124
Every fucking time I post my god damned crab people I get nothing but fucking South Park jokes.
>>
Well I wouldn't call them a race, but there is a subgroup of undead I created and that I love more than anything.

The Hanged men, which are basically reanimated hanged people whose unlife is tied to the nose around their necks. It's like the theater keeping them 'alive' and if it gets removed they die, so they protect it viciously even though to them it is the most abhorrent thing in existence since it is the implement that killed them in the first place.
>>
>>46202291
Yeah the alien races were all cool, shame none of them were playable characters aside from two(three) unique aliens that are basically recoloured humans.
>>
>>46198320
>refers to a member of another species as biped
>is also a biped
Why?
>>
File: castle.png (4 MB, 1044x1682) Image search: [Google]
castle.png
4 MB, 1044x1682
>>46197360
>>
File: lehappycontroller.jpg (32 KB, 377x428) Image search: [Google]
lehappycontroller.jpg
32 KB, 377x428
>>46203843
>merchant humans
>>
>>46204308
Melting into a blob is sometimes necessary to do slime things like squeezing through a barred window, but beyond that they very much prefer to stay in as humanoid a shape as they can manage.

It's the result of their original psychic imprint being that of a human mind. They WANT to be shaped like a human, though most don't understand why. I suppose that if a slime person were to eat a sapient non-humanoid creature, its offspring would prefer its original form, whatever that is.
>>
>>46212783
>to do slime things
hehe

>"When you dissolve a woman's genitals and find out she had a vibrator in there #MentalStepsBack #TMI #JustSlimeThings
>>
>>46197360
My setting's demons (Nefilims) also double as 'magic aliens' regarding the usual tropes, invading worlds from their Moon-mother, consume the elemental essences of entire regions, planting larval teeth in things with souls an so on.

So the 'half-demons' (Lilims) are basically tall grey aliens which prefer to act like people and fit in as much as possible.
>>
File: tumblr_n06ufybBQs1qc6j5yo1_400.jpg (28 KB, 368x407) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n06ufybBQs1qc6j5yo1_400.jpg
28 KB, 368x407
>>46198230
Did you know there were prehistoric flightless owls with long legs that acted pretty much like velociraptors?

Saw that here in /tg/. I have a city where they act like cats, hunting vermin urban crabs which even scale walls
>>
>>46212317
That's a cool picture, but how do you make that work? Who built the castle? Do people live in them? What's the purpose of them having a castle as a torso?
>>
>>46198205
berate me all you want, but this is relevant: https://www.reddit.com/r/birdswitharms
>>
Nothing special.

Race of pig-like orcish guys who live alone in the wilderness. They're tough and good fighters, but quite primitive in terms of technology, and don't like to be around crowded human society. But while they may seem like dangerous, warlike creatures, they're actually very good at avoiding violence for practical reasons- they have no medicine or medical knowledge so any injury or infection can have fatal results or leave them unable to hunt for dinner. Since they're mostly loners that only get together for religious or mating purposes, they don't really have the infrastructure to make medicine in large amounts, but instead they work as lumberjacks, forest guardians, or hunters for human villages, selling their excess in exchange for supplies. As a result of all this they're quite calm, reasonable, quiet individuals who are quite hard to offend, and human women find them quite endearing or even cute.
>>
>>46217267
>Nefilims
>sonses of God
-im is plural already REEEE
>>
File: Sporoloth Ancient.jpg (57 KB, 420x307) Image search: [Google]
Sporoloth Ancient.jpg
57 KB, 420x307
I have one from an old Stars Without Number game where the players all designed species and then made them into bad starfleet, with the humans as the "GREAT UNKNOWN ENEMY" of the setting.

Mine was a species of sentient fungus who evolved on a planet where one day, the mushroom though "hey, this dead body is pretty tasty. What if I could make more?"
Circa several million years of evolution later and you get a species loosely based off MtG thallids, who are functionally immortal, constantly warring cannibals. The kicker was, being that they were mushrooms, they had no sense of morality, general mortality, or most pronouns. They spoke entirely in the third person, weren't actually sentient until a decade after spawning, and had made it into space by luck, good timing, and a large cache of the crazy element zero type stuff that made psionics work. They had no actual government, due to functioning entirely on murder and brawling, and were part of 'Starfleet' entirely because one of them showed up there one day and proclaimed that they were part of it. If any of the other mushrooms disagreed, it would beat them into pulp, so they joined bureaucracy.
Oh, and they were all very loosely norse. Nothing like having the ship's worf be a giant angry viking mushroom with a penchant for cannibalism and a complete misunderstanding of how animals work.
>>
File: reverse hydra.png (435 KB, 1710x870) Image search: [Google]
reverse hydra.png
435 KB, 1710x870
>>46197360
My current world(solar system) basically has this 'void spacecloud of time-and-dimension twisting fuckery'

it eats worlds and terraforms everything on it but it doesn't actually consumes or destroys. It rips objects and creatures through different dimensions and/or merges stuff already on said planet and/or causes billions of years of evolution to happen in months.

This has been going on for Eons so race categories are more about function and size than specific features.

Theme was endless exploration. Once the cloud is done with a planet a lot of big spaceflight corporations send in scouts, mercenaries and foretrekkers to find any super valuable merged materials or creatures that poop gold or something.

It's basically a huge excuse for me to do whatever, whenever the fuck I want. But I mainly use it to think of unique monsters to fight.
>>
File: Thalassian.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Thalassian.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46202263
anon you should take a look at this home brew i made

legged merfolk that replace the half elves has the dilpomatic cosmopolitan skill monkey race. they are heavily invested in merchant shipping and live in cities that rise from the bottom of shallow seas to above the surface.

tell me what you think
>>
File: 317893891389183918931.png (644 KB, 813x1280) Image search: [Google]
317893891389183918931.png
644 KB, 813x1280
>>46198084

Sleep tite tweeters.

I am still not even at the embryonic stage for muh world building, but I like the idea of deerfolk in lieu of elves. It's a touch magical realmy but I was partial to the Satyr-Nymph dichotomy of the Greeks as the foundation to it. The men aren't pic related or the /tg/-furry-internet notion of skittish deer but rather the reality of Elk/Stags/ect. Aggressive, chauvenistic, beer and women oriented barbarians. Loosely inspired by the Herodotous remark about how the Thracians were the 2nd most numerous race on earth behind India and if they united they could conquer the world, but they are instead too busy fighting eachother.

Dunno if I'll actually pursue it because I like my world being low fantasy but if it works for others, go for it.
>>
>>46199602
Pretty nicely done Anon.
>>
>>46219401
It's pretty good, but I'm imagining my merfolk to be very diffferent culturally.

The story is basically that they were a race of entirely aquatic merfolk. As humans and elves started to develop larger ships and started travesing the oceans, the merfolk became interested in their ways of taming the water. They showed up more frequently near the coast and over a very long period of time adapted to living on the land.

I'm still in the early stages of worldbuilding, but there is a giant river, a 5 - 10 kilometers in width at it's largest point, which expands into this giant delta. It's less of any real world delta and more of a large cluster of islands in the shape of a delta. Most of the merfolk live here.

Most of their society doesn't have any formal government accept for the few larger cities that there are. The majority of the land consists of small fishing communities. In some of the larger cities, the religions of the land have found some followers amongst the merfolk but most aren't religious in any organised sense.

Their a rather simple and pragmatic people. Although they have their own distinct culture and haven't taken over that many aspects of other cultures, they aren't hostile to any outsiders. Maybe a little cold and distant at first, but once a good connection is made they are very warm and welcoming.

The conflict in my campaign comes from a fanatic group amongst the merfolk. While not strictly religious all of the merfolk do have an intense, almost spiritual bond with the water that is hard to understand for outsiders. Now there's a fanatic group that sees the water as an actual God and believes the end times are coming soon and the world will be flooded when that time comes. They believe it was a mistake for the merfolk to ever leave the water and want to go back to that entirely aquatic state.

cont.
>>
>>46219401
Nice work anon, love the art on the first page especially.
>>
>>46219551
Now a group of these fanatics can't quite wait until the eventual flood comes and have taken it upon themselves to flood the land and purge the landdwellers. They blow up dams and anything else that tries to hold back the power of the water.

So again, your merpeople are also cool, but culturally the opposite of what I'm imagining.
>>
>>46199046

>abino
basically humans

>conire
basically humans, when a conire mate with a conire or a human, this wont give birth to a child, NEVER. But they can have childrens if they made with abino. a conire and abino child will be conire
>>
I've been working for a while on a concept for a synthetic race of plant-based humanoids who were created to help with oxygen supply problems during extended space travel. Even though they're organic, they're placed on a similar level as robots on the social ladder, and over the thousands of years of their existence, they've evolved into a hugely diverse race where their "sign" (basically, what flower their biology is based on) dictates their purpose in life. Carnations are expensive royal servants, more rugged species like daylilies or petunias are used as guards or soldiers.
The type of flower also has metaphorical significance, especially when bouquets of flowers are being gifted to other royalty. Giving a bouquet of Rosemary to an empress might be a subtle call for remembrance, for example.
Also, they can convert sunlight into magic.
>>
>>46219623
Also, in the same universe:
A race of insect-like titans who feed on the cosmic ley lines that flow along solar currents. As they mature, they crystallize magic into a solid state, metamorphosing into sentient space ships. Their adult forms are frequently worshiped as divine, allowing them to cultivate a steady stream of acolytes who sacrifice themselves to power their ship-body. (A lot like how humans are used to make philosopher's stones in Fullmetal Alchemist, admittedly. But instead of philosopher's stones it's ship fuel.)
>>
>>46197360
The Aluniar Folk

Aliens, that look like bulky masses of clear crystal. Their size can vary from small as a book to slightly bigger than you average car. It's possible for them to be "born" into any color on the spectrum and with any number of limbs. Their shape is also random, with the exception of the "head" which is also their torso, always a sideways oval.

They are probably the kindest, most peaceful creatures on the galaxy... at first glance. While they do abstain from using violence of any kind, they have an inherent compulsion to control and dominate. They are not above from using and exploiting people for gain or to wrap them into their own web of control and dominance.

They lead a pseudo-shamanistic and nature loving culture, that helps them attune themselves with their surroundings. A lot of planets under their control are even forced to attempt this tuning even when the species aren't capable of it, under threat of cut pay. They aren't really fond of Aluniars that are eager to colonize other planets and getting "out of tune" with their planet.

Since all of them have some inherent psychic ability, the Aluniars that focus on growing their psychic skills are some of the best teachers of psychics in the galaxy. However, they aren't sought out as often, mostly because they refuse (or don't know) how to teach the most... applicable skills a psychic might seek out.
>>
>>46218271
Sweet.
I won't berate you, default reddit hatred is retarded.
>>
File: 3816596-eye-boy_(c).jpg (100 KB, 593x640) Image search: [Google]
3816596-eye-boy_(c).jpg
100 KB, 593x640
I'm thinking about making something like pic related in 5E. Not sure what to give them, except for advantage on Perception (sight) rolls.
>>
>>46220261
Why? It's a human with extra eyes, how would that be appealing?
>>
>>46220294

I'm thinking about not allowing Variant Human in my game and making a bunch of human "sub-races" instead.
>>
>>46220358

Do you hate giving your players freedom, or..?
>>
>>46220261
And while we're at it, what to give to a race with multiple arms? Pic related.
>>
>>46220391
Nah. There are few players in my group that will always take Variant Human, not because of RP reasons but because of the free feat.
>>
>>46220261
>>46220404
I've got it! Add a race with blue skin!

That would be amazing!
>>
>>46220455
Dude, I just want to make few Human sub-races/mutated humans.

How is that not ok but black skinned evil elves are?
>>
>>46220518
You've got a point, but it's a matter of taste.
Black skinned elves aren't ok in my book. Even regular elves are a stretch.
>>
>>46220518
Drow have a few more descriptors than black-skinned and evil. Make a society or something for your eyeboys if you don't want it to be just another hair color.
>>
>>46220561
What about rust, brick, slate, chalk, marble, or alabaster skinned elves?
>>
File: image.jpg (250 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
250 KB, 800x600
>>46208207
Talking about crab races is suffering. I feel your pain
>>
File: 1458711939145.jpg (160 KB, 395x2069) Image search: [Google]
1458711939145.jpg
160 KB, 395x2069
>>46198205
I can see the applications
>>
Two, both mostly based on previous /tg/ threads

One is a race of plantfolk. Thousands of years ago, they were regular elves, and their kingdoms were some of the earliest civilizations in the world. They had discovered a magical creeping vine that formed a symbotic relationship with animals: the vine would grow around the elves, absorbing nurtrients from them and enjoying the protection and mobility that they gave it, and in exchange the elves recieved energy that the plant photosythetized and could control it's vines and use them as extra limbs.
However, a magical apocalypse destroyed the elves civilization and made the plants grow wildly, overtaking their hosts and turning them into non-sapient plant-animal hybrids. Those hybrids then slowly developed sapience and civilization again, forming a new culture from the remains of the previous one.
While they are capable of photosythesis, they cannot sustain themselves from it exclusively still farm and raise livestock, with the energy and oxygen that they gain from photosythesis only serving to make them more resistant to hunger and suffocation. They organize themselves into several mercantile republics and city-states, with well-developed shipbuilding and trade, several colonies and trade posts in distant territories and a reputation as mercenaries. While they don't know what truly happened to the ancient elf kingdoms, they see them as a precursor race to them, similar to how we see Atlantis or Lemuria.

Part 1/2
>>
>>46202363
Okay so I'm gonna try to break it down real quick for you.

Trolls (her race) are very expansionist and warlike, like you said. All the adults are constantly fighting in whatever wars to conquer all space or whatever (not really specified). Even the children are encouraged to fight, and possibly murder each other. Some are literally forced to in order to feed the corpses to their guardian lusus. Additionally, they're not a live-birth race, but rather they're birthed by one big-ass mother grub. So because of this pattern, their only caretaker is basically an animal and they are brought up on fighting and killing.

And then comes basically Troll Jesus who starts this whole movement on "No, that's bad." He was abandoned as a pup, and then saved by Muriel the Dolorosa, who raised him like a mother/son which in their culture is a big no-no. Additionally, the Dolorosa was a jade blood, which is the caste that manages the mother grub or something, so she was actively working against society from the start.

And then Troll Jesus eventually goes full Jesus, starts a movement that becomes a religion, gets crucified, it's all very dramatic I guess. Hopefully that gave you some info.
>>
>>46208098
I'm stealing this. They will be the slave race of my Merfolk Empire.
Except for that name though, Snid sounds ridiculous.
Snibbedy snab snid
>>
>>46222954
The other are merfolk, inspired by a discussion on how an aquatic species could develop civilization. They are capable of breathing both underwater and outside of it, and have vaguely seal-like characteristcs and behaviors. They live in coastal regions: beaches, sand-bars, mangroves, river deltas, etc, and can venture both to deeper underwater and to surface areas, although they have terrible mobility outside of water, and tend to stay close to the coast. They have underwater cities, but other settlements are built outside of the water, where they can use fire, craft tools, write, and other activities that would be near impossible underwater. They raise fish and other seafood in closed lagoons next to the ocean, tend to herds of aquatic annimals in beaches, and grow various kinds of kelp underwater. While most of the population lives in coastal areas, some more primitive groups live as nomads, travellling from the coasts to the deeper areas, living of hunting and gathering, trading deep-sea reaches with their lower depth brothes, and telling the tales of the beastial oceanic and deep-sea merfolk.

I also have dwarves with some asian influences. They still have great underground cities, but most of the population lives aboveground, growing food in the terrace farms that cover most of the mountains, except the highest peaks. They also have observatories in the mountaintops, and so have a developed knowledge of astronomy.

Part 2/2
>>
>>46200417
You're on /builder/ right
>>
>>46202363
basically in Homestuck society is divided by blood colours into castes. She's mid tier, and is raising the not-Jesus of that world to try and rescue them from the caste system, which is seriously bad for the lower castes it fails
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.