[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you feel when your DM just showers your party with special
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: horse_medals.jpg (147 KB, 656x890) Image search: [Google]
horse_medals.jpg
147 KB, 656x890
How do you feel when your DM just showers your party with special snow flake magic items?
>>
>>46193432
As long as my special snowflake magic items are at least a little better than everyone else's.
>>
>>46193432
What the hell does that even mean?
>>
As long as I get to sleep in a bed.
>>
Feels cheap
>>
I don't care for the first part, though you would have to elaborate on the second. If you mean magic items they make up themselves I don't really mind that in and of itself
>>
>>46193432
When you go onto a forum and post things in a "Hey everyone come agree with me, I need validation for my opinions" way like that, it's pretty natural to assume that your opinions need so much validation because they're wrong. You're probably just being the No Fun Allowed Guy.
>>
>>46193917
Probably, but I would like to hear how other people feel about it.
>>
>>46194142
A game about figuring out how to use all your weird magic items sounds fun.

A game where everyone has overpowered magic items and the monsters are overpowered to compensate sounds fine.

A game that constantly stops because the DM needs to remind you of the rules of your special items sounds stupid, but that's stupid regardless of whether items were involved in getting there.

A game where you all get overpowered magic items and then the monsters are not harder to make up for it will be boring because there's no challenge. But the game being boring because there's no challenge is, again, a general-purpose way for things to be bad and it doesn't particularly matter whether magic items are the reason.
>>
>>46193432
I feel that DM has fun thinking up magic items. Good for them.
>>
>>46193432
My DMs never do it right. Always an OP item that he gives to his fav.
>>
>>46193762
>you get loot that isn't gems worth 50gp and a +1 dagger
>>
>>46193432
you don't like originality?

Gm: Okay guys. the king gives you a choice of reward between two items. The first is a magical +3 sword and the other is a magical pouch,similar to a bag of holding when it comes to the space, in which anything it holds will age at ten times the normal speed per days it has been in there.

Personally I love original items. It is way more fun to use them for random carnage. Like.. filling a bag of holding with greased up marbles and then flipping the bag when you are being chased. Let loose those marbles and watch everyone fall around you.
(although that might be a normal use of a bag of holding)
>>
So this is now magical item creation: The thread

I am thinking of giving my groups mage a magical hat that increases or decreases his random-spell rolls and which speaks to the character telepathically. yay, nay? Should I add something better?
>>
>>46193432
Yeah I played with a GM once who did that. It took me a bit longer to pick up on it, because I was the one he always gave special stuff to. But it was unfair, and created resentment among the other players, and ultimately made the whole game unbalanced and frustrating, even for me.

I also made this sort of mistake in my first game, where I was really free with magic items, just sort of excitedly throwing every cool thing I saw at the party. I know one or two of the players loved it, but the others were largely indifferent, and it made special items and magic stuff feel boring and uninteresting rather than unique and valuable. I also felt like it eventually skewed the power level and made it very difficult to maintain balance in the game.

So I'm opposed to GMs handing out tons of magic items. I think a GM should always try to keep a bit of a lid on power levels, and that magic stuff should be rare and have a feel of specialness to them.
>>
>>46193432
Give the magic weapons to the martials, they need it more.
>>
>>46198301
I don't think the monk needs a ring that casts gate at will
>>
>>46193432
>Implying getting a bag of rat holding isn't great
>>
>>46200068
>Have bag full of all the rats I've ever encountered
>they live on due to the magic of the bag, always hungry
>Need to question/torture someone, put their finger in the bag, then their hand, then leg
>say the word and the bag ejects all the voracious vermin who immediately attack anything in sight
Seems fun
>>
File: unspecified41.png (135 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
unspecified41.png
135 KB, 640x360
>>46193432
Depends.
Is it a heroic, against all odds campaign?
Is it a street-level campaign?

Had a campaign spanning two years in which we the players had to stop a well thought out mighty BBEG from another plane.
The characters went through hardship after hardship, defeat after defeat, while slowly building up a power base.
At the end of the campaign everyone had at least two legendary items and it was still a losing fight only to be won by ways of an ancient prophecy.

It's all good if there's a reason for the magical artifacts.
If they are simply there to satisfy your powergaming fetishes... well, that's your thing, but I'd rather have a reason for them.
>>
>>46200614
pretty street level, It just seems dull when every encounter you get a +10 short sword.
>>
>>46200614
Anon, you have my sincere thanks for that image. I'll be keeping that one. Top kek my friend.
>>
>>46193432

A sign that the DM doesn't know shit about game balance or lacks in creativity.
>>
>>46193432
>Special snowflake
That word has lost all meaning, please stop using it.

Thank you.
>>
>>46201564
okay, unique water crystal items.
>>
>>46201779
And what does this item, made from crystallized water, do?
>>
>>46197402
So the bag of rapid booze making?
>>
>>46201931
It falls from the sky
>>
Our group is hinted at having no less than 3 sentient magic items, 2 of which have yet to wake up.

There are no less than 3 scheduled apocalypses in the next 30 years for our setting so if you'll excuse us we'll need all the help we can get.
>>
>>46202010
Fucking magical
>>
>>46197402
You could fit tons of greased up marbles in a normal bag though. You don't even need a bag of holding for that.
>>
>>46193432
Feels great, we love that shit.
>>
>>46193432
As long as we're not being showered with gold ... dare we enter his realm of magical items?
>>
>>46197402
>take aging bag
>put baby in bag suspended by head
>keep it that way for two years
>remove child
>unleash your toddler headed 20 year old upon the populace
>>
>>46202354
Nah man
Use it to age booze, not make another Chris-chan
>>
>>46202252
The difference is in the amount of marbles that are used.
>>
>>46193762
>you guys clear out the kobold's lair and discover the trove they were hoarding
>your fighter with a revenge backstory against a Vampire finds an intelligent +1 Flaming Undead Bane Greatsword
>"I have weapon focus - longsword"
>finds an intelligent +1 Flaming Undead Bane LONGsword named 'Retribution'
>the bard who mentioned plans on going Dragon Disciple finds an enchanted harp inscribed in Draconic as 'The Strings of Bahamut' which will unlock more bardic spells per day
>the cleric of Lathandar finds-
>"hey, how much XP did we get?"
>oh, you're all level 2 now
>as I was saying, 'Fullplate of the Morninglord' is a suit of +3 Adam-
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.