[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are wizards in written material like campaign books, adventures
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: Dryad Disguise.png (768 KB, 879x896) Image search: [Google]
Dryad Disguise.png
768 KB, 879x896
Why are wizards in written material like campaign books, adventures and fantasy novels prone to being perverts who use their magic for fetish stuff? If you get to the point where you're a published writer for a company like WotC or TSR (back in the day) wouldn't it be in your best interest to curtail your kinky sex stuff to appear more professional?

I've played D&D for over 10 years now and I've never had a player who wanted to use their wizard powers to turn into a girl.
>>
>>46176371
>wouldn't it be in your best interest to curtail your kinky sex stuff to appear more professional?
I don't know what made me laugh more; the idea of an old school TSR writer reining in their kinkiness, or the idea they wanted to appear professional.
>>
>>46176371
>If you get to the point where you're a published writer for a company like WotC or TSR (back in the day) wouldn't it be in your best interest to curtail your kinky sex stuff to appear more professional?

it used to be the case that the games industry wasn't cucked

>I've played D&D for over 10 years now and I've never had a player who wanted to use their wizard powers to turn into a girl.

get better players
>>
>>46176371
It's way older than that, just look at greek mythology, Zeus mostly use his power to fuck anything.
>>
>>46176371
also >professional

lol

there was a time when you didn't have to be politically correct, it was a good time
>>
>>46176390
this is a good case study of what kind of person uses the word 'cucked'
>>
>>46176409
>Before
Oh they make the guy turn into a woman with his power, they weren't politically correct back then and didn't fear to inject their fetish into the game.

Now
What the guy turned into a woman with his power? Fucking SJW ruining my game with their political correctness, they will never shut up until every character is LGBTQBBQ!
>>
>>46176398

Except turn into a girl, because the Greeks and Romans thought that was the ultimate turnoff.
>>
File: My Cat DMing.jpg (254 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
My Cat DMing.jpg
254 KB, 900x1200
>WotC or TSR (back in the day)
Dave Arness published the Arduin Grimores in 1977, and they were chock full of shit so kinky it would be banned on a blue board, along with the prices for cannibalistic meals purchased at strange bazaars, character classes such as the dervish, the concubine, the madame, the slavemaster, and so on.

This shit has ALWAYS been around and it will ALWAYS e around.
>>
>>46176469
Well Loki did it, and Thor also disguise himself as a girl. Also Heracles did some gender play with Omphale.
>>
>>46176476
>This shit has ALWAYS been around and it will ALWAYS e around.

Less so now that they're marketed in regular bookstores and widely advertised to kids. It's like Magic the Gathering when they purged all the satanic imagery and titties from the early art.
>>
I don't get it

The example in OP's post isn't doing anything for "fetish play". He's an extremely powerful and critical NPC figure that wants to resolve an issue of trespassers without any unnecessary death.

Appearing to them as a docile elemental known for beneficence and resolving conflicts with suggestions and charms rather than violence - and also appearing to be a female - is a great way to do that.

Mages tamper with the fabric of reality. There's no novelty, sexual or otherwise, in putting up an illusion of being female, especially for one as advanced as Jason Krimeah.
>>
You act like you never used a guise of the thespian to go undercover as elf girls to finish a mission.

git gud scrubs
>>
>>46176371
>If you get to the point where you're a published writer for a company like WotC or TSR (back in the day) wouldn't it be in your best interest to curtail your kinky sex stuff to appear more professional?
Laughing_Ed_Greenwood.jpg

Was WG12 a good adventure?
>>
>>46176872

not OP but the WG series was very mediocre as a whole after Gygax left.
>>
Why are people such prudes these days?
>>
He wants to approach the PCs in a disguise that won't make them suspicious, so he takes on the form of a kind of forest spirit that's generally agreed to be good people. If he just disguised himself as some random guy who got lost in the woods then he'd need a much more convincing cover story.
>>
>>46177464
>forest spirit that's generally agreed to be good people

And cute. Don't forget cute.
>>
>>46176371

That looks nothing like a dryad whatsoever. It's just a regular woman in a dress.
>>
>>46177295
Puritanism takes many forms.
In the 1920s it was Temperance Societies and Catholic Nun Schools.
Today it's Environmentalism and SJWs talking about how everyone is racist/sexist/whatever-istist.

It's a way to raise your own social status by appearing to be more morally correct than those around you.
>>
>>46178749
This kind of Puritanism is usually the purview of those who are too poor to have social status via money/property/objects or those who are so rich that money/property/objects are meaningless to their peers.

So basically spoiled students and rich dilettantes. It's a means for both of them to disdain the middle classes.
>>
>>46176371
>Why are wizards in written material like campaign books, adventures and fantasy novels prone to being perverts who use their magic for fetish stuff?

Because once upon a time nerds weren't a bunch of Talibans that labeled everything remotely sexual a "fetish".

These days people are way too focused on pandering to people who aren't interested in the hobby anyway, or trying to look as respectable as possible (while playing role-playing games) and super scared of offending people they don't play with anyway.

Role-playing games, like it's fantasy roots, used to have some balls and tits, now it's mostly watered down slush based on books based on role-playing games based on books but with all the edges and serial numbers filed off to make them kid safe.

Fantasy literature is still shock full of what the average D&D nerd would scream "fetish" at because he's scared someone thinks he likes anything other than mindless killing.
>>
>>46178324
Vintage RPG's often had to choose between using good looking art they had the rights for even if it didn't exactly fit, or commissioning horribly shitty art that fit perfectly.
>>
>>46176428
The word has an operating definition anon, the gaming industry is most definitely cucked atm.
>>
>>46179246
Pray tell, what is the definition of the word "cucked" and how does it refer to the gaming industry?
>>
>>46179293
Cuckold is the term for the man in a couple where the woman is cheating on him.

It's a term of derision and implies that you're unmanly, can't stand up for yourself, and that you are a giant pussy for putting up with it.

On /tg/ the shortened "cucked" (for cuckolded) used whenever game companies or personalities in the industry bow down to or pander to unreasonable sjw criticism, one example being how the magic the gathering artist who, as instructed by the art director, painted a magic card where Garruk is chocking Liliana, got a "warning" by wizard because of twitter outcry by people who said it condoned violence towards women.

It's a stupid buzzword but you don't have to be faggot by pretending to be totally oblivious about the word or why it gets thrown around.
>>
>>46179293
Do you really not know what "cucked" means or are you deliberately trying to do that weird slightly passive aggressive sentence by sentence breakdown reductio ad absurdum thing?
>>
>>46179390
choking*

Damn autocorrect
>>
>>46176371
>have cosmic, reality-bending powers
>Not using them to be a complete degenerate and fulfil your base desires
How utterly boring.

>I've played D&D for over 10 years now and I've never had a player who wanted to use their wizard powers to turn into a girl.

Your players are probably just the same kind of uncreative politically correct shits like you are, OP.

Man I miss the times when novels like "The Harpers" Series had villains that made you stare into the very abyss that is the human soul. Evil wizard that would transform himself into a Lizardmen or Dire Wolf and then devour/rip&tear women apart
>>
>>46179622
>Man I miss the times...

One of the most popular and well known fantasy franchises today features torture, genital mutilation, rape, incest, murder and dark magic.

Can we just stop it with the whole "fantasy used to be mature and dark! thing?

It's still plenty dark and mature, it's just that people who only experience it through kid-safe video and role-playing games instead of picking up a book once in a while wouldn't know that.
>>
Can you fuck the mage while he's a dryad?
>>
>>46180020
As long as you don't mind splinters.
>>
>>46180051

morning wood joke
>>
Dryad sap titties
>>
Say what you will about prudishness, but Elminster is still the worst character.
>>
>>46179390
Lotta words to say 'when someone disagrees with me and agrees with someone else they're a cuck' anon
>>
>>46183022
Cuck has been so overused at this point that it's basically the equivalent of "shitlord". It has no meaning and just serves to indicate that you disagree with someone.

Also, it's fucking stupid because it's not even the actual definition of the fucking term.
>>
>>46178791

>students and dilettantes
>prudes

you've been going to the wrong parties
>>
>>46183581
>581 ▶
>>>46178791
>>students and dilettantes
>>prudes
>you've been going to the wrong parties

Well see I think the idea is to portray people who don't enjoy little girl rape in their D&D as idiots who don't know any better.
>>
>>46176371
I have never seen this in an actual fantasy novel
>>
>>46179391
Maybe he's objecting to an obnoxious buzzword that has even less meaning than "hipster" or "autistic" did at the height of their respective overuses. Or maybe he's objecting to a shit meme imported from a foreign board culture.

The world may never know.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.