[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /tg/ think of this game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 450x582) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 450x582
What does /tg/ think of this game?
>>
>>46171346

We try not to think of it much.
>>
File: gross.png (8 KB, 530x186) Image search: [Google]
gross.png
8 KB, 530x186
>>46171346
Short answer:
An utter loss of good ideas mixed with awful writing, research, editing and bad shock value.

Long answer:
http://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/ettin/cthulhutech-unveiled-threats/

>The QBattery has a baby inside. (That is not the dumb bit.)
>>
>>46172915

It's also kind of a mess when it comes to system, like three different ones crammed together that don't play well with each other at all.
>>
>>46171346
At least it didn't give me cancer.
>>
>>46172915
On the one hand, the line is shit.
On the other hand, Ettin is a massive faggot.
>>
>>46171346
i played a few games of it. it was underwhelming the initiative system was bad, and i don't think dice poker for a main mechanic is a good idea, too random.
>>
>>46173257
He is. He's not wrong about CTech though.
>>
>>46171346
Reminds me of wraethulu
>>
>>46171346
Great art (when it isn't furries). Everything else is absolutely horrible.
>>
>>46171346
One of the worst systems I've ever played. I kind of liked some of the apocalyptic mech fluff, but it was mostly trash. It did give my group the shorthand phrase for describing game devs who are entirely up their own ass though, namely "You don't understand our vision", and that's super useful with stuff like Ex3 around every corner.
>>
>>46174083
Did the CT devs ACTUALLY SAY THAT? I mean, they've made some actual GOOD games after making the trainwreck that was CthulhuTech, so they obviously learned from their mistakes, instead of denying that they made any.
>>
>>46174042
Or child prostitutes, or nudist nazzentradi.
>>
>>46174130
Oh yeah, in a thread asking for mech customization systems since they clearly had some sort of point buy system for mechs in place already. They responded that only the mechs printed in the books existed in setting, and if you wanted other kinds you didn't understand their vision.
>>
>>46172915
>To all evidence, this RPG is pretty gross.

I could get over gross, but it's offensively stupid in so many places.
>>
>>46171346
Played it for some time, had some fun. Just remember to have everyone be a pilot if you do a mecha campaign and give some extra gear cash to non-Tager players in Tager campaigns.
>>
>>46174083
>and that's super useful with stuff like Ex3 around every corner.
Hah. I've got my own for Ex3: "it's mythical".

(it was response to questioning why is UCS "responsible" for events that happened without his influence and that would still happen if he was dead)
>>
>>46174042
Tagers are furries? I thought they were like Eldritichian Guyvers
>>
File: --Outer_God--.jpg (899 KB, 1200x788) Image search: [Google]
--Outer_God--.jpg
899 KB, 1200x788
>>46172915
Wait wait wait, these guys stole the sub-plot from Urotsukidoji II? Really?
>>
>>46175573
I think he means some monsters created by the Goat Mother that looked like humans with animal ears mostly. The problem with them was "roll not to get raped".
>>
>>46175622
How bad is this compared to FATAL?
>>
>>46175679
Well, if you were a female character, the roll was to not get raped and then explode from magically unabortable pregnancy.
>>
>>46175698
Show on the doll where Cthulhutech touched you.
>>
>>46175685
It's mostly not bad at all. FATAL is horrible 24/7, whereat Ctech isn't.

Ctech just...imagine a normal, cool game that waits for you to lower your guard before it springs Magical Realm shit at you, then goes back to being a normal sci-fi miltary action game for a bit, until you lower your guard again...

And its horrible shit was never front line and center. You could just ignore everything bad about it and have a decent game - but you would have to spend intellectual effort ignoring it.

Also, the published adventures were super railroady, especially when it came to the Magical Realm bits and hammering it home that the devs don't WANT you to liberate the Deep One rape camp, because then things wouldn't be cosmic horror anymore.
>>
>>46175713
>a normal, cool game
But its not, its fundamentally broken. The numbers don't add up and will never add up. Besides going to the extreme of FATAL I cannot think of a game more poorly designed from a mechanical perspective.
>>
>>46175713
Most of the stupid shit came in the expansion books. If you stick to the main rulebook only the world is described just enough to give you an idea on how things are going and most GMs shape the world from that point. I played before most expansions came out and it was fine.
>>
>>46172915
>>46174432
>We were triggered by this game. Please stop hurting our feelings.

That's neo-/tg/ for you.

:^)
>>
>>46175737
You are being purposefully disingenuous.

We used to play a game here on /tg/. Roll 1d1000 and open up your FATAL pdf and see if you couldnt find one instance of shit, piss, cum, misogyny, rape, or racism.

The highest standing record is 17 consecutive rolls. The previous highest is 11.

FATAL is worse than anyone could even pretend Cthulhutech is.
>>
File: for the emperor.jpg (14 KB, 640x417) Image search: [Google]
for the emperor.jpg
14 KB, 640x417
/hwg/ called, they want their "muh triggering" back.

Baby batteries? Rape factories? "magical realm"? All's fair in love and war senpai.
>>
>>46175717
>>46175904
Too much greentext, newfriend
>>
Cthulhutech is one of those RPGs you don't play, you mine it for ideas, disregard the bullcrap and take the workable concepts with you when making your own games.
>>
One of the Cthulhutech books has an adventure where you literally get raped and/or sexually assaulted by furries, and if you have a female character, you have a violent, potentially deadly abortion in your future.

This is not a joke.

The whole game line was basically bad ideas and railroady adventures. There are almost no adventures in which your characters have any actual impact on the outcome whatsoever.
>>
>>46175929
Forgot your greentext this time, boy
>>
Read EarthScorpion's takes on it instead, run it in Fate and/or Apotheosis Drive X.
>>
>>46171346
It should be the sickest shit ever, so it's failure makes it that much worse.
>>
>>46175904
>Let me take shit out of context to prove an erroneous point.

Cthulhutech is exactly what it claims to be on the box, and it pretty much follows exactly the layout HP Lovecraft envisioned. Rape, xenophobia, god-awful horrors, and nothing nice happening to anyone ever again.

You want to know what does it better? WoD. WoD has everything Cthulhutech has in it. From alien rape machines, to furry sex, to mindcontrol, to literal babies used to make magical and mechanical devices work.

The only difference is that WoD has a bigger following and lies about what it is. You scratch the surface and everything you claim about Cthulhutech is printed in black and white in WoD.
>>
>>46176001
One of the WoD books has an adventure where you literally get raped and/or sexually assaulted by black spiraldancers a.k.a. mutant furries, and if you have a male or female character, you have a violent, potentially deadly birth in your future.

This is not a joke.

The whole game line was basically bad ideas and railroady adventures. There are almost no adventures in which your characters have any actual impact on the outcome whatsoever.
>>
>>46176121
You forgot to mention WoD's rules are closer to functional than Ctech's complete inability to do anything and actively gets worse the more you play.
>>
>>46176138
So WoD is worse than Cthulutech? But you're making threads about Cthulhutech and not WoD.

Fucking hypocrites.
>>
>>46176147
This is true.

So that makes WoD better than Cthulhutech somehow.

What about Eclipse Phase where you can get mindraped by looking at flashing lights?
>>
>>46176158
I don't really give a shit about the lore of any of them - Ctech is simply the worst non-fatal system I've ever seen. Eclipse Phase is not great either, nor are the various WoD's but there are areas where they are functional and thus can be used for specific genres or harvested for module pieces in homebrews. I can't think of anywhere Ctech is functional. Its a fucking insult they thought to sell something like that. Anyone who paid for it should be able to refund it under the Consumer Protection Act or the equivalent in your country since it does not perform in any way as advertised.
>>
>>46176184
>Eclipse Phase sold 12000+ copies
Right, so you're basically upset someone did something you don't like.

>>>/out/
>>
File: Dr. Münchhausen.gif (333 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Dr. Münchhausen.gif
333 KB, 500x375
>>46175603
>>
File: avatar7938_1.gif.png (30 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
30 KB, 128x128
>>46176247
>>
>>46176247
>>46176265
>sold 5376 copies by the year 2010

citation:
http://eclipsephase.com/posthuman-2010-year-end-review

you are wrong, and a retard
>>
>>46176265
>>46176247
You tried this lie last thread you made.
>>
>>46175858
>neo-

/v/ pls go and stay go
>>
>>46176359
>troll gets caught out, can't handle it, makes another troll thread
>>
>>46171346
Hopefully we'll get a new edition backed by Onyx Path. They've been doing great things with WoD.
>>
>>46176453
Either everyone hates it or there are people who like it. You can't claim both at the same time.

Well, you can, because you're that stupid to think it might make sense, but hey, who are you to judge, you're a /pol/ack troll.
>>
>>46176359
Too bad for you, you won't be able to shitpost about the game I use.
>>
>>46176762
Bzzt, wrong.
>>
>>46176058
>Read EarthScorpian's anything

I'd rather hammer nails through my dick then read anything that the smug faggot had a hand in.
>>
>>46176846

Your loss. His speciality is smushing two shits together and somehow pulling out an edible meal.
>>
>>46176860
Bro, it's your game.
>>
The game lore is fine.
The mechanics are terrible.

I also cannot fathom what those guys who are constantly attacking WoD, Eclipse Phase, and Cthulhutech playing.
>>
>>46177036
The lore and metaplot are full of gaping plot holes.
>>
>>46178159
The original setting is pretty damn cool (with a bit too much rape unfortunately). The history setup stuff is kind of nonsensical. Like I don't think that losing all the oil money would cause every Muslim to declare war on the rest of the world and get curb stomped out of existence, but that's still way less passing of the idiot ball than Shadowrun's history. Metaplot is pretty hit or miss. Where the game really messes up is that pretty much every published adventure ends in rape, including maybe the PCs getting raped. Also the equipment book with its rape machine and horrific fetus battery. Really a rape-free cthulhutech would be 10000 times better
>>
>>46179337
But then it would still be an unplayable pile of steaming shit
>>
>>46176144
Still pretty much true.
>>
>>46172915
>Awful writing research and editing.
That's utterly insignificant when compared to its value as an actual game. It's not a novel. It's a sci-fi game about killing lovecraftian horrors in your Eva.

As a game, it's also horrible.
>>
>>46178159
Do people actual care about lore and metaplot beyond having something they can use to inspire their adventures?
>>
So the same consensus /tg/ always comes to.
Some cool ideas, shit execution.

Mech's and Eva fighting Migo are cool.
Secret Guyver Society fighting eldritch corporation are cool.
Police procedural where the entire squad cool-aid mans through a wall in power armor to stomp some cultists who don't have the proper permits to be sacrificing those goats are cool.

Everything else is raping shit.
>>
>>46180333
That's not how you spell '4 rounds of poker dice for each attack, some characters have up to three attacks in a round'.
>>
>>46171346
We had fun playing it, but that required a lot of mechanical house-ruling.

The game has nice visuals, some very cool ideas (Tagers) and plenty of bad writing and bad rule design.

So a mixed bag. You have to work to make it good.
>>
File: 7233278939.jpg (234 KB, 500x502) Image search: [Google]
7233278939.jpg
234 KB, 500x502
>>46180135
The awful research is personal yes, but editing results in fewer words, which this book should have for appeal and costing less because of less pages.

>>46175858
Your reply triggered my pity.

>>46175603
>Urotsukidōji references: Respectful to Lovecraft.

>>46174432
Agreed. For sci-fi it lacks even basic space notions.
>>
>>46179337
>Where the game really messes up is that pretty much every published adventure ends in rape, including maybe the PCs getting raped.

No, where those mess up is being terribly tough out railroad-fests with NPCs possessing less than-wafer thin personalities and events that make no sense and only happen that way because the plot must go on.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.