[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rolled or buy? How do you do stats and why? >Buy >I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 146
Thread images: 10
File: Iv4Igiv[1].jpg (86 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
Iv4Igiv[1].jpg
86 KB, 750x600
Rolled or buy?

How do you do stats and why?

>Buy
>I've been pic related before.
>>
Depends on the system.
>>
>>46168566
Pick a system and say why, then.

And don't follow up coy with "Magic: the Gathering" and "buy".
>>
>>46168548

Points buy. Whoever does rolls is the spawn of satan. I've seen people have literal breakdowns trying to build characters with the equivalent of 8 PB in Pathfinder
>>
>>46168548
Point buy is my preferred model, but I see the value of rolled in systems where your stats aren't particularly important compared to how you use them.

WFRP2E? Honestly you can make a Human Peasant with all his stats in the 20s work if you play it right. You'd probably be able to convince your GM to let you reroll those numbers, though, unless he was some kind of sodding prick.

D&D beyond 2E? Stats are way too important to leave to random chance, and point buy prevents the game having a severe disparity in character competence because this so-and-so got two 18s and that other guy didn't get anything above a 14.
>>
>>46168548
If the system is intended to use rolled stats then stat array assign wherever or stat array in order.
>>
>>46168566
Pretty much this. In games where there is high attrition and fast creation where stats don't matter as much rolling is fine. In post-TSR D&D were stats are everything, point buy all the way.
>>
File: 1384634121146.png (310 KB, 1696x2502) Image search: [Google]
1384634121146.png
310 KB, 1696x2502
>>46168548
There are advantages and disadvantages to random generation.
>>
For rolled stats I allow my players to do 3d6 re-roll 1s. At least they end up with 6 instead of 3.
>>
>>46168730
4d6 drop lowest is fair IMO.
>>
>>46168548
Rolled
Because I like playing flawed characters and find them to be a lot more interesting than ones that excel at everything.
And when I point buy I find the pressure to power game is just to ever present and all my characters come out the same.
>>
>>46168548
If you play D&D and don't roll?

Fuck you.
>>
>>46168548

Doesn't seem to matter to me. Point Buy seems pretty fair. But I'm a fan of Array.

I don't mind Rolled as much, since I've had GMs that are reasonable and will allow rerolls should you do piss-poorly on those stat rolls. Also I've played a system that has tables that correspond to stat rolls, providing some additional advantages to those who roll poorly.
>>
>>46168701
That shit is fucking terrible and people should feel awful for posting it
>Random but fair for old school
>Those spreads
FYI: gay.
>>
>>46168548
Alternating from campaign to campaign.
It's both fun, only have to be in the suitable mood.
>>
>>46168701
What, no, you're wrong. Those stats don't add up to be the same. Take whatever value you want to be the base and build your own stat arrays out of that value.
>>
>weak, clumsy, anemic, dumb, idiotic and ugly

Just like me irl
>>
>>46168762
I end up in that situation, too, when presented with buy. But there are times where you can't really go wrong.

I made a PF Druid with mostly tens and I was outperforming my party with their min-maxed hybrid classes.

It's not hard to optimize above random. But sometimes, random just shits on you. You end up with borderline stats that don't let you play anything other than off-martial gimmick and no one in your party is filling in roles that you're lacking.

>Fighting Undead
>No divine class
>No points in Knowledge Religion
>No points in Heal
>>
>Buy
>I've been the guy with a 15 as the highest stat and a 8 as the third lowest stat.
>>
>>46168933
The only reason I don't think you're ugly is that I haven't seen your face.

So if you think about it. There are billions of people who don't think you're ugly.
>>
Roll, easy, I've got freaky good luck when it comes to stats.
Must be all the dice towers.
>>
>>46168933
And who the hell would want to be that?
>>
We do point buy, and my players just give themselves flaws and character traits.
You know, like a normal roleplayer would, without me doing anything.

What shitty groups do you have where your players make their characters flawless if you don't forcibly gimp them?
>>
>>46168701
>There are advantages and disadvantages to random generation.

No fucking shit Sherlock.
>>
>>46168994
The same ones that have had bad experiences with GMs targeting nothing but their weaknesses in every single encounter.
>You have mostly melee Martials, no clerics, and the wizards prepared no buffs? Will saves everywhere.
>You all have good wisdom and constitution buffing? Reflex saves everywhere.
>You all are buffed with cats grace and a high wisdom? CON checks for poison.
>>
>>46168548
D&D 2nd Ed. - Everyone rolls a set of 6 stats then we each pick the set we want to use, a set may be used more than once.
D&D 3.0, 3.5 and Pathfinder - Tried different rolling methods, ended up going with a point buy, have been for years and years now.
>>
>>46168930
>Those stats don't add up to be the same.
"Every character will end up with a balance of +2 when the modifiers for all their attributes are totaled. Characters with particularly high stats will end up with a few less attribute points overall, to compensate for the fact that being focused is usually to your advantage, but the difference is fairly minor."

Or were you talking about something else?
>>
>>46168701
That is the most retarded version of deck drawing stats I've ever seen.
What the fuck
>>
>DM sits down at table.
>Asks everyone to pick a number between 1 and 20.
>"That's now your point buy."
>>
>>46169188
16 + 14 + 12 + 11 + 9 + 7 adds up to 69
14 + 13 + 12 + 12 + 11 + 9 adds up to 71

If you're going to go through the effort of making sure you've got balanced stats at least arrays that always add up to 69.
>>
>>46169218
Please elaborate.
>>
>>46169273
Not him, but 5-paragraph essay should have given it away.
>>
>>46168548
I and my friends roll, but we re-roll if the total stats are under a certain agreed-upon number.

However, if you roll high on all your stats, that's perfectly fine.
>>
>>46169273
Usually you just see
-deck of two each of 4,5,6,7,8,9
-draw two for each stat (depleting the deck)
-pass deck to next guy

Not an extra 4 paragraphs and dice rolls
>>
>>46169333
So, 2d6+6?
>>
Rolled 16, 16, 14, 6, 18, 14 = 84 (6d18)

Dice have never completely failed me before, and even then surely you could reroll a stat or two. 4d6 is best.
>>
>>46169369
Yes.
Just without one guy getting all 8s and the next getting three 18s.

That's the whole point.
>>
>>46169373
>Passable stats.

You lucky cock suckler.
>>
>>46169261
Again: "Characters with particularly high stats will end up with a few less attribute points overall, to compensate for the fact that being focused is usually to your advantage, but the difference is fairly minor."

The first character has modifiers of +2,+1 and -1, while the second has modifiers of +1 and +1. Since you can focus on your strengths and minimize the number of times you have to rely on your weaknesses, the former spread is generally superior. It's the same reason you going from, say, 17 to 18 in point buy costs more than going from 10 to 11.
>>
>>46168548
Roll
Roll is always the best option.

If your char ends sub-average, it's your DM's duty to let you reroll
>>
>>46169393
Do you mean "draft" two, pass the deck?
Repeat for each stat?

Because otherwise, each player's stats are independent and you should just be rolling 2d6+6.
>>
Rolled 4, 5, 7, 1, 18, 16 = 51 (6d18)

>>46169373
I either do spectacularly or horrifically.
Rarely do i tread into the middle.
>>
Rolled 10, 9, 11, 13, 3, 7 = 53 (6d18)

1 get
>>
>>46169447
No. And I don't even see how you thought that.

One guy
Takes the deck, which is 12 cards.
Draws two of them. That is one of his stats.
Repeats that five more times.
He now has six pairs of cards in front of him, which are his six stats.
>>
>>46169447
>should just be rolling 2d6+6.
How the fuck would rolling prevent the big swings of one guy getting all 10s and someone else having 16s eveywhere?
Do you have no idea why people use other methods at all?
>>
>>46169546
And now those cards go back into the deck and you hand it to the next guy.

They both have equal chances at getting high rolls.
>>
>>46169565
You bastard.
I didn't say to put the cards back in every time.
I said to leave them in front of you.
ON THE FUCKING TABLE.
DON'T FUCKING ADD STEPS NOT IN THE INSTRUCTIONS A FUCKING 9 YEAR OLD CAN FOLLOW.
>>
>>46169333
You know there are two different systems in that pic, right? The card draw system is in the little green box. Also, your two card system doesn't give anything close to the bell curve you'd get rolling dice (either 3d6 or 4d6 drop low), which the card system is supposed to approximate.
>>
>>46169565
Anon, what are you talking about?
>>
Rolled 15, 16, 18, 14, 14, 6 = 83 (6d18)

Rollan
>>
>>46169596
Look at the first, green post in that image.
Read the whole thing, and tell me that there's no mention of rolling any dice.
>>
>>46169588
You can't hand a deck which you depleted to the next gut.

You can't hand an empty deck to anyone.
>>
>>46168548
I once had a DM say that we got a 16 in one stat of our choice in exchange for putting an 8 in another stat of our choice, and would then have us roll 3d6 down the line, re-rolling any result that was less than 8.
>>
>>46169678
Wow you got me good.
>>
File: ###.png (52 KB, 1250x596) Image search: [Google]
###.png
52 KB, 1250x596
>>46169285
Well, he was talking about the card draw system, which is contained within the green box, but if you want to address the random array system, most of the text is commentary and examples. Cut that out and you see that the system only amounts to the pic here (plus the table to roll on, of course). But I'm not sure what kind of role-player is daunted by a page of material in any case.
>>
>>46169596
Who cares if it doesn't match a bell curve if it gives good stats for RPG characters?
>>
>>46169752
Betrayal on the House on the Hill has nearly 3 pages just explaining how to roll a trait save. It's not about being daunted. It's about it being unwarranted.
>>
I prefer to roll one array and have all players use it.
>>
We roll and deal with it
>>
File: ainz-milk.jpg (1 MB, 780x3120) Image search: [Google]
ainz-milk.jpg
1 MB, 780x3120
>>46168622
>Pathfinder
There's your problem. Pathfinder wasn't designed to accommodate rolled stats. Everything in 3.* is designed around the assumption that you're carefully weighing your customization options and selecting things that you think would work out best for you. Other editions aren't. Read the text in >>46168701; ignore the tables.

Play 5th edition; it's a nice balance between the two design philosophies.
>>
>>46169648
>Read the whole thing, and tell me that there's no mention of rolling any dice.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. There's one die roll to determine which attributes you can swap, but if you count that as "extra... dice rolls", that seems a little silly to me. What seems very silly to me is if you're implying that the very little bit of text in the green box is somehow daunting, especially since there's only as much of it as there is because it's giving you two different deck "strengths".
>>
Rolled 14, 3, 7, 11, 12, 6, 15, 15 = 83 (8d18)

Including a luck and sanity stat for this one
>>
>>46169793
I find it useful when there's commentary explaining what a system does and why, and examples help alleviate any confusion somebody might have.
>>
>>46169961
I don't know what you're trying to say.
Other than "hey look my character can't function, it's got a fucking 3".
>>
3.5's system is my favorite.

Roll 4x1d6, remove the lowest roll, add the other three rolls together, get a number, repeat five more times.

Apply those numbers to whichever abilities you like, but the numbers themselves are static.

Average is 12-13, rarely get stats below 8 because the lowest roll is removed. Lets you build your character properly while making min-maxing machine character bullshit near impossible.

>Wizard
>6 STR
>6 DEX
>6 CON
>10 WIS
>24 INT
>6 CHA

How about not.
>>
>>46170023
Its fine, ill just put the 3 in sanity
>>
>>46170045
just makes playing classes that require multiple stats like Paladin impossible

Casters just put their highest roll in their casting stat, and who cares about the rest.

Also what moron runs point buy while letting the players drain stats down to multiple 6s? I have never seen that.
>>
>>46170045
>implying this character is not insanely easy to kill out the gate
>madmax.webm
>>
>>46170152
Multiple 8s then, whatever. The point is characters become machines and not interesting humans.

I just rolled six stats.

>STR 12
>DEX 11
>CON 15
>WIS 12
>INT 9
>CHA 16

Very typical roll. Perfectly reasonable Paladin. Shittier rolls force you to be creative, which is fun.
>>
Rolled 11, 7, 20, 8, 6, 10 = 62 (6d20)

>not going for 1s and 20s allowed
Pussies.
>>
>>46168548
>How do you do stats and why?
I don't play d20. And is is everything I imagined it could be.
>>
>>46170271
To add to creativity on a shit roll, I have a great example of this from a friend who rolled an 18, two mid teens and three <7 rolls. Instead of being the halfling rogue he was going to be, he decided to be a half giant barbarian.

>STR 15ish +2(giant)
>DEX 15ish -2(large)
>CON 18ish
>WIS 6ish
>INT 4 -2(giant) -2(barbarian)(DM upped it to 4 anyway so he was smarter than a bird)
>CHA 6ish

He was a CN retard that we had to use actions to get him to notice a fight happening, in which case he'd rip trees out of the ground and swing them and throw boulders, he ended up carrying our party often times. It was one of the best characters I've ever seen, purely out of circumstance of rolling.
>>
>>46170271

>Not enough strength for power attack
>Not enough wisdom to actually cast all their spells.

That's not going to be a very functional paladin.
>>
>>46170365

>-2(barbarian)

What? Barbarians don't have any penalty to int.
>>
>>46170368
He can cast all the spells he has at level 1.
>>
Rolled 20, 16, 20, 17, 17, 15 = 105 (6d20)

>>46170343
Check my rolls bro
>>
>>46170368
You're right, I'm thinking of cleric casting. Swap Con and Wis then and you have a perfectly fine paladin.

>>46170402
You are also right. I remember the DM telling him that he had that penalty before ignoring INT penalties, though. I think he was confusing Illiteracy. I've never done a barb.
>>
>>46170516
CHECKED
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 331x506) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 331x506
>>46170516
I always thought the übermensch was a myth!
>>
>>46169915
>>46168701
That's still idiotic. Whether it's a little unfair or a lot of unfair, unfair is still unfair, and any chargen that relies on dice rolls is inherently unfair. Those arrays are only putting a tiny little bandaid on the problem. Even if all the stats add up to the same, the guy who's highest stat is a 13 is totally gimped compared to the guy who gets an 18, or dear lord, two 17s. If point buy is exploitable, then your system has balance problems. I don't want to sound like one of the "Have your tried not playing D&D?" retards, but if that's a problem for you, the easiest and by far most effective solution is to play a different system. If a bunch of armed men break down your door and threaten to slaughter your entire group unless you play an imbalanced system, then giving everyone the same array is a decent work-around.

Furthermore, D&D stats are broad enough that there's absolutely nothing to be gained from suboptimal stats EVEN from a roleplaying standpoint. A wizard with a high STR is never going to force you to make a more interesting character. He can still be the same tower-dwelling shut-in that every other wizard is; you just have to mention he does pushups every once in a while. The only systems where rolling for stats offers any benefit are ones like Call of Cthulu, where stats are specific enough that odd roles actually force you to think outside the box, like the time I had to explain why my thief type character's highest stats were education and medicine, and where there are enough rolls that the differences between players will almost certainly level out.
>>
What about just taking the standard array but you have to assign the numbers to random attributes?
>>
>>46170271
If you need to be forced to be creative you're in the wrong hobby.

"Lower starts just means you gots ta roleplay" nah fuck you, worst argument ever.
>>
>>46170809
This.
>>
Rolled 1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 1, 1, 2, 6, 6, 4, 3, 2, 3, 2, 4, 4, 1, 1, 2, 2 = 56 (21d6)

>>46168548
My prefered stat gen for dnd (let's face it dnd is the only one with this system) is to take d6s depending on the relative power of the game, if it is standard I will usualy do 21d6 as a pool, and then point buy at a 1-1 ratio with all stats falling between 8 and 18 before racial mods, and then reroll if you get less then average, that way everyone has a minimum of 74 stat points to go around, which is enough to have at a minimum 18 16 14 10 8 8 or how ever you want to do your stats based off your class, it makes mad easier to balance for, and SAD not be as restricted in point buy because it will have stats left over to flush out how they want their characters statistics to be.
Alternative ways are to do stuff like 18d6 for low power games, 24 d6 for high power, ect.
>>
I pay my players extra XP when they self-gimp.

Had one fucker play the game as:

STR: 8
DEX: 10
CON: 10
INT: 14
WIS: 12
CHA: 12

That's about 5-pt buy as a human rogue. Focused all his time and effort on poisons and trap making. By around the time other players were level 8, he was 10, spending his extra feats and talents on things that made him a perfect villain.

At the end of the campaign, the party was sieging his fortress because he'd killed the king in a declaration of war with the army he'd amassed behind everyone's backs.

18 INT wizards can do some crazy shit, but they all think pretty damn small, when you think about it.
>>
Give everyone 12 in each stat. Have them decide how many times they flip a coin per stat, 6 times max. Heads is +1, tails is -1.
>>
Rolled 3, 6, 5, 2, 6, 4 = 26 (6d6)

>>46171654
Yo. I might actually use this.

Ends up being 6d2+6 per stat if you flip max times.
>>
Time to just how shitty a character I got...
>>
Used to be a big fan of rolled stats. Now I'm a supporter of Point Buy.

Why?

Leads to more fun in my experience. Everyone has the same starting point more or less, everyone is more useful. Plus, you can play a character you design from the ground up rather than being at the mercy of RNGesus.
>>
Rolled 4, 5, 17, 5, 10, 12 = 53 (6d18)

Here's hoping for a cleric
>>
>>46171765
What if they get 5 tails and 1 heads? That makes it 7. 12 + 1 - 5.
>>
File: 1455995103311.png (52 KB, 151x203) Image search: [Google]
1455995103311.png
52 KB, 151x203
>>46169238
>not roll a d20
>>
>>46168604
Some systems don't give you an option. In fact all the systems I play are strictly either or. And there's probably more that are roll only than the other way around among them.

I will say though that I probably wouldn't roll for a game like D&D because it's far too reliant on everyone pulling their weight in combat, and rolled stats can really screw with the balance and make it harder for the DM to make challenging but beatable encounters. I don't really play any games that are that focuses on combat though - in fact, most players will actively avoid it whenever possible - so it's not a problem that usually arises.
>>
>>46169238
>1 point buy
>Play SAD caster 10 dex 10 con 17 casting stat 7 everything else.
>>
>>46168548
Point buy all the way.
>Rolled stats can make an already unbalanced system even worse.
>It encourages cheating and fudged dice rolls.
>Why would you want to play in a game when you have no attribute over 14, and Captain Minmax has no attribute below 16. Unless you are the cheating asshole running Captain Minmax.
>>
Anima/D&D/GURPS/Crunch heavy: Buy or array.
40kRPG/FantasyRPG or any other highly lethal game or non-serious: Roll all day everyday.
>>
>>46168939
>I made a PF Druid with mostly tens and I was outperforming my party with their min-maxed hybrid classes.

Druid is one of the most powerful classes in the game. Hybrids are not really that good anyway. No wonder you steamrolled them.
>>
>>46168548
Buy is more stable, if you want a longer camping go for buy, but on the other hand buy is more prone to minimaxers

Rolled is more randome, it will add a bit of spice to your short campaings frocing your players to invest and think about their cherecter before just shoving them into a archtype, but it's a pain in the ass if you get snek eyes or exploding dice.

I prefer buy, but both have it's uses.
>>
>>46169398

> calling that roll passable

Nigga you trippin'
>>
>>46168650
Actually play a game of 4e d&d where we randomly rolled and the gm had a houserule about exploding dice on rolling stats. It ended with a guy having a starting score of 26 in cha and another guy with no stat over 12 the gm refused to let the second guy reroll so he ragequit during character creation...
>>
>>46168548
Personally I prefer buy over rolled, since it gives my the freedom to play whatever I want and assures balance between party members.

I cant tell you have many times i've played a game where one of the party members was just egregiously worse/better than the rest if the party because of their rolls. I've personally had a GM take pity on me and give me and bump up my stats, because i rolled almost the minimum possible base stats at character creation, and was barely scraping through encounters for the first few sessions, while the rest of my group rolled 16+ in almost every stat

Unfortunately my regular GM is a huge fucking grog that refuses to use anything but random stat generation whenever its an available option, because it "tests your roleplaying ability." Well excuse me if I didnt feel like playing Helen fucking Keller in our action fantasy campaign.
>>
>>46170152
What the hell are you talking about? it's far more possible to generate a functional paladin/monk with random generation as you can luck into the numbers you need whereas with points if there aren't enough points, then that's it. You can not make a functional monk with the points available as per the standard 3.x point buy methods.
>>
>>46168548
Buy all the way.
If your really worried about how people distribute there points use an array
>>
>>46168548
Points buy. Because I play mostly games that don't really have a function for rolling stats (M&M 3e, GURPS, the like)
>>
Point buy an arrays.

Like, even Shadow of the Demon Lord, a WFRP-esque old-school DnD-esque game where you can randomly roll practically fucking EVERYTHING about your starting character, including personality... does not let you have random stats.
>>
>>46168548
>roll
>buy
NEITHER, YOU FAGGOT

PRE-ROLLED ARRAYS ARE SUPERIOR IN LITERALLY EVERYTHING

YOU CAN CHOOSE AN ARRAY RANDOMLY OR YOU CAN CHOOSE ONE SPECIFICALLY, BUT IT WILL ENSURE YOU A PLAYABLE CHARACTER WITHOUT DETRACTING FROM THE RANDOMNESS OF THE PROCESS OF ROLLING A CHARACTER
>>
>>46168548
ok for d&d and d&d esque systems rolling is important, the point buy system overly favors classes that scale off a single stat. Why be pretty good at the three things that are important for you when you could be awesome at the only thing that matters. The problems of a monk are, slightly, alleviated when everyone has board of 14's. but you have to play with some guard rails cause as OP's pic shows a weak sickly ugly retard is less than fun when another party member picked a character right off the god tree
>>
>>46168548
In my group we have a rolled set of numbers that we can use to make our own stats.

We only hav 5 Ability scores so we use the numbers: 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 2, 2, 1 and 1. You must use 3 numbers to create oone ability score. In that way everybody have the same total score but can arrange the numbers as the like but stille have the "rolled" feel to it.
>>
>>46168548
Rolling only, in every system that allows it.
>>
>>46170640
It's interesting that you and >>46169261 seem to be saying that the system is retarded for opposite reasons. He's saying it's bad because the point totals aren't always exactly the same, and you're saying that a person with an 18 as his highest stat is overpowered compared to a person with a 13 as his highest stat, despite the fact that he has fewer overall points.
>>
Rolled 4, 7, 5, 2, 15, 10 = 43 (6d18)

>>46168548
Let's try this shit.
>>
Rolled 5, 1, 4, 2, 5, 2, 5, 2, 3, 1, 4, 4, 6, 4, 3, 3, 2, 6 = 62 (18d6)

>>46169458
ouch, anon.
>>
>>46170343
Let's do this
>>46170516
WITNESSED
>>
Rolled 12, 14, 12, 6, 14, 14 = 72 (6d20)

>>46177591
fuck
>>
>>46168701
How about one person does this and everyone at the table uses the array?
>>
>>46173560
>Captain Minmax has no attribute below 16
That's not what min-maxing is. That's just cheating/good luck.
>>
File: 2a0.png (24 KB, 210x200) Image search: [Google]
2a0.png
24 KB, 210x200
>>46168548
Couldn't you use a combination if you wanted? E.g. roll for the amount of points you get to spend, or alternatively spend points on additional rolls. How does that sound?
>>
>>46168548
If I roll stats, I exclusively roll 3d3 exploding.
>>
>>46178157
perfect.

It's fixed everybody, pack it in.
>>
A bit part of the reason why rolled stats have fallen so far out of style is the fact that the entire system of 3.X, and thus the entire community that built up around 3.X, assumed that it would be used. Point buy makes min-maxing (specifically as in "dumping what's less important and pumping what's more", not generally as in "character optimization", although this is the case with that too) much easier. As a result, more players min-max. The more players min-max, the more min-maxing becomes expected. The more min-maxing becomes expected, the more DMs start design campaigns around it. The more DMs design campaigns around it, the more players expect the campaigns to reward and acommodate it, and so on.

The concept of "dump stats" is far more prevalent than it used to be. It used to be that many people thought of a character's weaknesses as being as much a part of the character as their strengths -- but after 3.5's life cycle, you see WotC designing 4e so that you almost never have to use your weak stats! Likewise, in 4e, the system is balanced around having at least one really good stat. Posters like >>46170640 are very clearly thinking in terms of point-buy oriented systems -- in a system 3.PF or 4e, absolutely is a character with an 18 in one stat and a 6 in a two of the others overpowered in comparison to a character who has all stats in the range of 9-13, because they can customize their character to focus entirely on that 18. In other editions of D&D, you can't as easily ignore those sixes.

Nothing wrong with that point-buy oriented style of game, but unless you're used to something that was built for rolled stats, you can't really say that point buy is absolutely the way to go.
>>
>>46169398
>passable
Those stats are fantastic.
>>
>>46176347
Wow, never noticed they didn't actually add up to the same amount. That's a whole new level of stupid
>>
We do 3d6 drop lowest + 6

But we also play heroic fantasy games, so we are intended to be vastly above the average human.

5e, though, so in effect we aren't really THAT far detached from the normal human.
>>
>>46168548
Insofar as D&D is concerned, roll. Me and my group find it more fun, personally.

Specifically we do 4d6 drop lowest six times. You can re-roll your lowest score if you want, but then you also have to re-roll your highest score

But I've got nothing against point buy, and in fact normally use a 30-point buy system for NPCs I make.
>>
Rolled 19, 19, 5, 5, 7, 4 = 59 (6d20)

6d20 down the line, after picking your class.

Here's my elf warlock
>>
BOTH

How it works with some example
Average 1 year old strenght stat for human is 5.5
We roll 1d10 to find the strenght of a one year old human.
The average strenght of an adult human is 100.5
Each +1 on strenght cost 1 point
So to go from 5.5 to 100.5 you need 95 points.

Anyway, the character wants to generate his strenght stat.

He roll an 1d10 and get a 3
3 str +95 points = 98 str
Now he get 98 str and remove 100.5 points.
This leads to -2.5 points.

So the character has 100.5 str and -2.5 points to spend. Anyway he can use his points to increase or decrease his str,
>>
We play fairly high fantasy with "hero-material" characters. We roll, but if we roll less than 66 in total, we reroll one stat, or the entire thing, whichever we prefer.

We also once did demigod like characters, where we rolled 4d6 drop levels 3 times for each stat. Only one guy had somehow 10 in one of his stats, and everything else was 15+.
>>
>>46180365
This is gold. I am stealing this for an NPC Warlock my party will have to fight at some point.
>>
>>46180365
>failed bodybuilder elf had to move back into parents house
>they made him be a warlock
>>
>>46168548
>Rolled or buy?
whatever the default is for the particular system.
>>
>>46168762
If PB allows people to create characters that have no flaws and excel at everything, the point buy value is too high. I ALWAYS play point buy, and I too prefer not to feel overpowered. If you don't have enough self control to make a character statistically that isn't overpowered even if you have the option in favor of playing something that reflects a potentially flawed or simply average character, you are a bad roleplayer. It means you're looking at the numbers on your sheet and can't translate them into what a character actually is, either because the concept for your character narrative is weak, or you simply don't care and are gaming the system.
>>
Would people use both? I have an idea for a program that can spit out a stat array based on a certain point buy. The chance of any certain array that comes out is determined by how likely it is to actually be rolled.

I just need the drive to code it.
>>
>>46168548
Rolled stats always. Point buy feels like shit. Like my character is a robot I fine tuned to do what I want and not a character.
>>
>>46181072
>The chance of any certain array that comes out is determined by how likely it is to actually be rolled.
What do you mean? The set of point-buyable stats is smaller than the set of rollable stats.
>>
Point buy

Its not fair to have people less effective in a party permanently just because of a roll in pregame
>>
>>46168548
I'm using a system where you get the choice at character creation to either place 3 points or roll 5 of them, other 5 points are determined by background, class, race, etc.

~A113
>>
>>46168622
>I've seen people have literal breakdowns trying to build characters with the equivalent of 8 PB in Pathfinder
>WAAAAAH I CAN'T BE OVERPOWERED WAAAAAAH
>WAAAAAH I CAN'T MIN-MAX WAAAAAHHHH
>WAAAAAHHHH I DON'T KNOW HOW TO ROLEPLAY WAAAAAHHHHHHH

fucking Pathfaggots
>>
File: 1393180109893.png (27 KB, 527x409) Image search: [Google]
1393180109893.png
27 KB, 527x409
>>46181998
>>
>>46177734
It seems weird that every body has the same distribution, especially if that distribution is distinctive. Like, say you end up with 16, 16, 11, 10, 10, 5. So everybody has a pretty big weakness, two pretty big strengths and three middling scores? I'm okay with everybody having the same (or nearly the same) point total or power, but once they have exactly the same stats, it starts feeling too artificial to me.
>>
>>46168548
Point buy unless I'm GMing something similar to Tomb of Horror or Ravenloft. Then you roll for greater suffering. 3d6 straight down no rerolls.
>>
dice+4d6
>>
File: 3d6 (2).jpg (182 KB, 2340x576) Image search: [Google]
3d6 (2).jpg
182 KB, 2340x576
Who would you play in this party
>>
I like to roll1 set of 3d6 and no rerolls. Attributes are declared before rolling the stat for them. This is suicide, but i like doing things this way.
>>
>>46180366
Finding the amount of points needed to go to your own 1 yeard old to average one year old would be simple.
And would work for all linear point cost rpg
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with rolling stats.

If your total attribute modifiers are below 0 then you can reroll your character.

Traditional rolls of 3d6 make an average stat of 10.5 which is exactly average for most people in this fantasy world, since 10-11 is an average stat. Even something as basic as 3d6+1 or the 4d6 drop lowest grant the characters hugely above average stats beyond the average person in that world. You can't complain about that.
>>
>>46168548
we do rolled, but since we like do bigger and flashier games we have a system where out of a 4d6 your min roll is 9 and your max is 20
you roll 4d6 ignore 1s and 2s, take the highest 3 and if you roll three 6s it's 20 instead of 18.
this satisfies our two power games, our min maxer, and our three people that don't have as much experience it helps them with making a nice and easy character
Thread replies: 146
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.