[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/btg/ - BattleTech General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54
File: Veles.png (1 MB, 1650x2150) Image search: [Google]
Veles.png
1 MB, 1650x2150
The /btg/ is dead, long live /btg/!

In which we finally reveal the whole suit. No points for guessing the faction.

Old Thread: >>46093678

===================================

>/btg/ does a TRO:
http://builtforwar.blog(not spam) spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing?
http://pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

>Overview of the major factions?
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out what BattleMechs a faction has?
http://masterunitlist.info/

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Rookie guides
http://pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx (embed)

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
http://megamek.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
http://www.solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
http://megameklab.sourceforge.net/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9q792hobnbpw3/Battletech
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
>>
>>46168410
>PA(L)
Well huh
>>
File: 1449186479349.jpg (136 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1449186479349.jpg
136 KB, 900x900
ara ara hold my butte~
>>
>>46168410
>No points for guessing the faction.
It's the fucking Rim Territories, isn't it
>>
File: Baleare.png (32 KB, 922x602) Image search: [Google]
Baleare.png
32 KB, 922x602
>>46168410
And to clarify some points:
The 12 BV is per suit. Squad BV is ~85 for 5.
It's Marian, duh.
That's a man-pack plasma in the picture.
Yes, it was originally posted here as the Baleare.
There's a silly variant. No, you can't see it yet.
>>
File: Skree.jpg (298 KB, 661x889) Image search: [Google]
Skree.jpg
298 KB, 661x889
>>46168260
>>46168369
Technically that record sheet is out of date, it's got double heat sinks in the current version, the single heatsinks was accidentally on-purpose during the original design.

Anyway, yes, eight of them just under 6k BV of them.

secret battleplan and theme music repost for the new thread.
https://youtu.be/SBe1hwg7V-M

Likelihood of success: minimal. Cbills total: 37,379,168
Worth it? Every moment.
>>
>>46168435
>I'm still amazed how a state where most of the military has a 6th grade education, slavery is common and accepted, and whose mech industry was producing nothing but bugs and the odd Shad was able to leap forward so much so fast.

Writer fiat, pure and simple. You can't find a single instance in real life of one state bootstrapping another state forward in technological level in under 100 years. The MAF magically go from being 6th grade-level illiterate peasants barely holding together a few companies of Mechs to being able to have an organized military with their own military academy, create their own unit designs instead of copying stuff everyone else does (like bugs), and having an intelligence service that's proportionally better than Etheopia's (vs the US) inside of two generations.

It's just flat-out impossible, and the fact that they thought we'd buy it as a plot point is incredibly insulting. Nobody could reasonably go from the Magestry's tech level in 3025 to their level in 3075, under any circumstances short of direct divine intervention.
>>
>>46168601
Not sure if you're being sarcastic but I do think the CIW going from nothing to "the best in the Periphery and rivaling IS schools" practically overnight is pretty dumb.
>>
>>46168601
>>46168694
Taurianfags like you need to just get over it desu
>>
>>46168410
How the fuck am I supposed to use this? No move, no endurance, dies to a stiff breeze... What's the point?
>>
>>46168835
I hate them, and I'm a purple bird; they're basically the CapCon: Fetish Edition and I hate a): the CapCon and b): Magical Realm shit, so fuck the magistracy. Also, their part in the whole ANDUREIN rASCAL FUCK GET BACK IN THE LEAGUE thing is another point against them in my view
>>
>>46169095
Attempt to ambush & die, I suppose.

Must be an import from the Combine.
>>
>>46169186
This it's for ambush.
Dump infernos hope to shut down, tag it and watch the fireworks
>>
>>46169174
>purple bird :DDD
Ugh, you guys are just as bad if not worse. I'll do the thread a favor and not respond to you again after this, but don't go around casting accusations on other factions when you come from one of the worst fanbases.
>>
>>46169303
Where did the purple bird touch you to make you cry so hard about them in every fucking thread? It's okay, you can tell us.
>>
>>46169095
You hide somewhere, blow your load, and then die horribly

Or get ignored because you aren't much of a threat after you pop the SRMs.
>>
>>46168601
I think the thing that really confuses people about the MoC is that they didn't start out as a tiny little colony out in the swamplands and progressed up to space South Pacific only to suddenly jump forward with help from Xin Sheng.

They started out as a fairly strong power economically and militarily who declined over the years as they grew complacent, only hanging on to their intelligence agency and the few bits of really good tech that didn't require huge material expenses. Likewise, their few medical schools kept running as well as they could for the very few who could make it in spite of their economy stagnating.

By the time the story picks up, they are in a sorry state, with their entertainment industry the only thing still profitable, a law enforcement that turns a blind eye even to slavers, a debased as fuck nobility and an average education level so low that they can only get students in their medical schools by importing them. They still had plenty of records of technology, they still had mothballed (well, more rotting) factories that they could clean up and get running for a fraction of the effort of building new ones.
>>
>>46168586
>there's a silly variant
It's already silly. I don't hate it but I wish those were OSRLs not OSSRM2s. RL stronk.
>>
>>46168459

nah, Jade Wolves
>>
Where are the quadS reveal? That ine with tidbits teased and the other we saw the sketch days ago
>>
File: Testudo.png (215 KB, 880x665) Image search: [Google]
Testudo.png
215 KB, 880x665
>>46169095
Drop it out of a VTOL or other transport into terrain, or deploy it in terrain if you're defending. Ambush the fuck out of something with the 20 SRMs you get per squad of 5 and the inevitable man-pack plasmas you'll be carrying. After you've immobilized a vee or crippled another BA squad (or exploited holes in a mech's armor), LTAG them for your Testudo friends to finish off, keep shooting with the man-pack plasmas, or leg attack them if they decide to ignore you. They're like normal infantry, except they have no illusions about how long they'll last if the enemy decides to kill them.

>>46169609
Tried them with RL 2s. BA RLs having 3/7/12 range really makes them suck compared to the RL 10 everyone loves (or at least doesn't hate so much), and the lesser damage hurts as well. Plus, the OSSRMs are 25kg more than the same size RL packs. I tested both 3x RL 2 versions (with a detachable missile pack instead of the squad LTAG) and 2x OSSRM 2 versions. The SRM ones cost the same BV and were better in every test game I did. Having to fire off one of the RLs before being able to jump really sucks, and if it's two RL 2s vs two OSSRM 2s there's not really a contest.
>>
>>46169988
The one we showed the sketch for we've been getting plog to to some edits for. We haven't revealed the full one that we've been spoiling bits for because we've all been distracted with real-world crap.

Plus, I've lost track of exactly what we've revealed on that one, since CA handled it last.
>>
>>46170003
Yeah, it's true, BA RLs suck a poxy one. It's a shame too since the Mech ones are so fun.
>>
>>46169174
>they're basically the CapCon

Holy fuck you're actually retarded. Not just posting like a retard, but, like, honest to god retarded with the whole extra chromosome, funny eyes, and the staggering inability to think critically or grasp the obvious.

The CapCon and the MOC are nothing, NOTHING, alike in pretty much any measure; cultural, historical, economic, military, or anything else you care to name short of "quantity per capita of Liao-flavored hot dickings". It's a dammed good thing you're not representative of FWL fans, they don't need to be tarred with the same brush as you.
>>
>>46170148
There is one caveat.
BA RL-1s are 25 kilos, so they are functional as a "might as well" weapon to eat up the last of your weight.
>>
>>46169577
Fair points, aside from:
>They still had plenty of records of technology
the whole point of the lostech thing is that NOBODY except for C* and the helm core had records of the old tech any more, that was the *problem*
as for the factory thing, I'd also disagree somewhat; according to FM:2765:P, there are only TWO mech lines in the whole of the periphery (RWR aside)that were operating before the succession wars that weren't afterwords; A line for the Marauder-1R in the MoC (which presumably was destroyed in the first two succession wars or else had all the high tech shit scrapped and replaced with lower tech stuff before it finally ran down to nothing since LosTech) and a "locally designed Wolverine variant" in the TC (also presumably LosTech)
It's pretty evident that what happened to periphery manufacturing was not the exploding factories of the inner sphere that made plugging the gaps with new designs an economical solution later on, but extant lines continuing to operate but slowly being forced to reduce production due to shortages (for example, TTI might have been producing 240 marauders a year as of 2765 but might be down to only 18 a year by 3025). so during the post-helm rebuild, it would make sense for the periphery states to produce a bunch more of the same mechs that they were always building and incorporate a bit of SL tech here and there, but not to design a pile of new mechs like the MoC did. personally, I would have liked to have seen the rebuilt and enlarged MAF as basically mercer ravinnion's wet dream of a giant hoard of bugs stiffened with shads and imported heavies, but that's not what happened.
(incidentally, I actually agree with you on the factory thing, but there are allegedly a ton of fluff obstacles to the periphery states rebuilding their industries which I'm sure one of our local taurian anti-fans could explain to you in exacting and paragraphed detail)
but anyways, this stuff is basically crying in the rain, so whatever
>>
>>46170288
Yeah, but the rate at which they eat up slots is absurd. 2 slots for the 1 and 2, 3 slots for the 3 and 4, and a full 4 slots for the 5.
>>
File: LAST RIDE WITH THE DEVIL.jpg (12 KB, 305x150) Image search: [Google]
LAST RIDE WITH THE DEVIL.jpg
12 KB, 305x150
>>
>>46168601
Russia.
>>
>>46170603
TO THE LAST I GRAPPLE WITH THEE
FROM HELL'S HEART I STAB AT THEE
>>
>>46170603
I wouldn't mind a Hunger Games BT edition. Go for it, anon! Start this again and post the results for us
>>
File: Vigilante.png (10 KB, 437x406) Image search: [Google]
Vigilante.png
10 KB, 437x406
>>46170288
Last of your weight and slots, if you have a ton extra.

>RL1 as a "whatever" weapon
This made me think of Boba Fett, then one thing led to another...

Just double-checking, but this can jump after it shoots the RL, right? I got like 3 hours of sleep earlier and my rule book isn't anywhere near me.

>>46170552
Yeah RLs taking up that many slots is stupid. I think they are trying to get you to use MRMs instead.
>>
>>46170779
The one I made had only merc company leaders, but I'll make one with BT notables if I get suggestions. After cutting out most of the filler, I need 14 more people to fill the roster. Added so far:

Jaime Wolf
Natasha Kerensky

Morgan Kell
Cranston Snord

Wayne Waco
Grayson Carlyle

Jeremiah Rose
Medron Pryde

Carlos Camacho
B. Banzai
>>
>>46170813
>Just double-checking, but this can jump after it shoots the RL, right?
As long as you paid the 10kg detachable missile pack tax, yeah.
>>
>>46170906
Ben Rome and Herb need to be in there. I mean you have Medron Pryde already...

Jerome Blake
Sarah McEvedy
Anastasius Focht
>>
>>46170957
Fug. I need to fix it then.
>>
>>46170997

If there are enough slots you can just mount the launchers in the arms.

Torso-mounted missile launchers prevent jumping on IS suits but arm-mounted ones don't, because reasons.
>>
>>46171040
I have the weight I just need to figure out how to do it. Is it the Modular Equipment adapter? I am still not 100% familiar with MML.
>>
>>46170974
Pryde is there because he also happens to be the commander of the Dropship Irregulars
>>
>>46171108
Could have hot Snord v Snord action if you add Rhonda too. The Bounty Hunter would be a good add maybe as well.
>>
>>46170974
>>46171108
he needs to go up against MadCap in the ultimate battle of the factionfags
>>
>>46170906
add Victor VS Sun-tzu and Kai Allard-Liao VS Gray Norton
>>
>>46171103
MML does not seem to have it in. I'm unsure if that's MM dev lazyness or because MM assumes that you have it.
>>
>>46171212
Well I have the weight, so you'd have to pretend it had it I guess. I'll make a note in the .png
>>
>Remote Drone Command Consoles must always be placed in the same location as the primary cockpit (usually the head of a ’Mech or the body of a vehicle). A Remote Drone Command Console cannot be placed on a unit that also has either a Cockpit Command Console or a Drone (Remote) Carrier Control System.
So, if I make a mech with a compact engine and gyro, and a torso mounted cockpit, does that mean I can have five on them on one mech? It doesn't sound like it breaks any rules.
>>
>>46171420
>does that mean I can have five on them on one mech?
that sounds like an excellent blakist idea; a Level II formation consisting of 5 drones and a command mech
>>
>>46171469
Do it on a SH, for extra protection and space for weapons.
>>
>>46171493
can't do torso cockpits on supers, bro.
>>
>>46170611

Shit, for THAT matter, how about Germany or Japan (especially Japan) post-WWII?

I totally get not liking a faction. I'm not a huge fan of anons faction here, but God-*damn* at least do it for reasons that make a modicum of sense and aren't - y'know - objectively wrong.

Apropos of nothing, now that I'm back home from a month-and-a-half of solid work, I'm ordering $150 worth of Battlefleet Gothic minis from AliExpress to work on once I FINALLY finish a ComGuard commission (which I'm pretty sure is cursed at this point). Out of curiosity I searched for BattleTech on AliExpress, and aside from some MWO prints, a mouse pad with a Mad Dog on it, and some Sega Genesis cartridges, there's absolutely nothing for BT on there. Surprised me, at least.
>>
>>46171569
>MWO prints
Do tell. Art prints or 3D ones? I need MWO Locust minis in my life.
>>
>>46171569
I don't agree with that guy, but to be fair, germany and japan had unlimited investment from a power that needed precisely NO war rebuilding of it's own AND was the last, best industrial power on the planet (aside from canada)
that analogy would work 100% for the FedSuns rebuilding the TC and OA after the jihad, but it doesn't make much sense for a beat-up power that's in recovery itself helping a low-end industrial power build itself up to crazy heights.
the RL equivalent would be closer to post-WW II Britain helping Greece become an industrial giant
>>
>>46171569
oh, how did the whole theatrical gun instruction thing with those university kids work out?
>>
File: THUNDERDOME.jpg (38 KB, 658x326) Image search: [Google]
THUNDERDOME.jpg
38 KB, 658x326
Place your bets, ladies and germs
>>
>>46172422
Grayson death carlyle on day 5.
>>
>>46172422
I'll put my money on Wayne Waco and the power of hate, though sun-tzu is a slippery fucker
>>
>>46172422
I gotta to go with Blake.
>>
File: WoB Republic.jpg (72 KB, 495x868) Image search: [Google]
WoB Republic.jpg
72 KB, 495x868
>>46172422
Blake.
>>
File: 01.jpg (67 KB, 668x672) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
67 KB, 668x672
>>46172422
>>46172446
>>46172515

And we're off with a bang.
>>
>>46172609
>sun-tzu an fiats on the first round
YES
>>
>>46172609
>Teddy K, Thomas Marik, and Focht team up
>Sun-Tzu commits suicide
KAPETYN PRIDE SPHERE WIDE
>>
File: day 1 and night 1.jpg (91 KB, 1344x672) Image search: [Google]
day 1 and night 1.jpg
91 KB, 1344x672
>>46172609
1 day, two people down. What will Day 2 bring?
>>
>>46172609
>sun-tzu cannot handle a world without coleman and kills himself
ha
>>
File: day 2 and night 2.jpg (96 KB, 1238x672) Image search: [Google]
day 2 and night 2.jpg
96 KB, 1238x672
>>46172649
Day 2 was a bloody affair.
>>
>>46172773
>Medron Pryde screams for help
>>
>>46172649
>Wolfe kills Toyama
He's just begging for Outreach to get nuked again.
>>
>>46172773
>Nasty K getting unkown help
Fucking Ulric, I bet.
>>
File: day 3 - arena event - night 3.jpg (95 KB, 1632x672) Image search: [Google]
day 3 - arena event - night 3.jpg
95 KB, 1632x672
>>46172773
And then the linedevs said "you know what we have too much of? main characters!"
>>
>>46172900
>acid rain kills off a bunch of folks for literally no reason
I bet CGL's half-assed jihad books are behind this
>>
>>46172773
>>46172900
I want Jeremiah Rose to win this thing by picking flowers.
>>
File: feast - day 4 - night 4.jpg (84 KB, 661x679) Image search: [Google]
feast - day 4 - night 4.jpg
84 KB, 661x679
>>46172900
Everybody hates Medron Pryde!
>>
>>46172970
>medron pryde dies
thank the Lord
>>
>>46172982

The mods could only protect him so long, anon.
>>
File: day 5 and night 5.jpg (50 KB, 672x543) Image search: [Google]
day 5 and night 5.jpg
50 KB, 672x543
>>46172970
We're nearing the end.
>>
>>46173060
kai no

BLAKE LIVES IN DEATH
>>
File: day 6 and night 6.jpg (29 KB, 576x166) Image search: [Google]
day 6 and night 6.jpg
29 KB, 576x166
>>46173060
Surprisingly, nobody died!
>>
>>46173060
>>46173109
Looks like Kai want to get Nasty.
>>
>>46173129
good God, imagine the mechwarrior skill of their kids
>>
>>46173192
Special game rules allowing for negatives, or unlimited number of SPAs?

Or both?
>>
>>46173192
Unfortunately, since both of them have negative skill values, when they multiply they get a kid with normal above-zero p/g skills.
>>
File: finale.jpg (75 KB, 671x558) Image search: [Google]
finale.jpg
75 KB, 671x558
>>46173109
The end! Being a white knight doesn't pay, Kai, she's called the Black Widow for a goddamn reason.
>>
>>46173245
I was seriously hoping Nasty K would commit suicide, then Kai would, while Rose picked flowers.

Ah, well.
>>
>>46173245
>Rose would rather die of hypothermia then face Nasty K
Sounds about right.
>>
File: stats.jpg (58 KB, 585x466) Image search: [Google]
stats.jpg
58 KB, 585x466
>>46173245
And the final stats.

Shall I run the gauntlet again or leave the thread in peace?
>>
reposing from the very end of last thread in the hole of more responses
Well then, let's have us something vaguely like a design contest, lads: we post 5-6k BV lances made up entirely of our own custom units and then we review each other's units, individually or as a lance
>>
>>46173369
>sun-tzu gets no kill credit for eliminating the most dangerous competitor on the first day
*angry xon shong noises*
>>
File: day 1 night 1 .jpg (146 KB, 1344x1152) Image search: [Google]
day 1 night 1 .jpg
146 KB, 1344x1152
>>46173369
So, I went ahead and tried running it again; I wasn't planning on posting it, but then the Jihad happened apparently.
>>
File: finale.jpg (99 KB, 603x1278) Image search: [Google]
finale.jpg
99 KB, 603x1278
>>46173636
And shockingly, we've already got a winner on the dawn of the 3rd day.
>>
File: Aristocrats.jpg (127 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Aristocrats.jpg
127 KB, 800x600
>>46172034

Canceled by the university theatre department head the day of the workshop, while I already had the guns on campus (after having given his written permission), and he called the cops on me for having guns on campus without permission (which he had just revoked, without informing anyone). Fortunately, there was a cop in the room with me (as part of the established class safety protocols) when the permission was revoked, who very explicitly went on the radio and told the other cops not to do shit and that "no, there was not an active shooter on campus."

I have a meeting with the University Provost and three different police departments next week about this. Everyone is quite aware of what this guy tried to do, and everyone is quite pissed about it. There's a non-zero chance of criminal charges against the dept head. There's also a non-zero chance of my professional organization blacklisting the school (and all graduates thereof), which would also transfer to IATSE (stagehands union) and Actor's Equity.

My profession is called "drama" for a reason. Pic related.

>>46171820

No, that's a fair point. I would point out that as of 3055, though, the CapCon didn't have much in the way of war rebuilding of its own. I also personally consider the step up from "we can produce IntroTech Mechs on our own" to "we can produce Level 2 Mechs when told explicitly how to build the factories and having most of the technical training paid for by another power" to be not all that much of a step. I gather that others disagree. I also disagree that it's "crazy heights" - the MoC isn't really debuting tech, but reproducing MechTech that others have already produced, and 10 years behind at that.

Compared to the 3rd SW, it's "crazy heights", but not compared to the rest of the 3039-3075 era.

>>46171729

The Hunchback in the repair bay, and IIRC a Centurion in battle. That's about it. Slim pickings.
>>
>>46173780
>My profession is called "drama" for a reason. Pic related.
Goddamn. What the fuck is that guy's problem? Is he so rabidly anti-gun that he's willing to set someone up and get his school freaking blacklisted to stroke tiny dick over being "right"?
>>
>>46173780
>Canceled by the university theatre department head the day of the workshop, while I already had the guns on campus (after having given his written permission), and he called the cops on me for having guns on campus without permission (which he had just revoked, without informing anyone). Fortunately, there was a cop in the room with me (as part of the established class safety protocols) when the permission was revoked, who very explicitly went on the radio and told the other cops not to do shit and that "no, there was not an active shooter on campus."
I'm not surprised, but I'm still kinda disappointed.
don't never have nothing to do with them liberal arts boys myself, ain't nothing but misery come to me that way, but I'm sad that it's gone and happened to you
>>
>>46173834

Yes.

I have, on official letterhead from a different school, a message stating unequivocably that they would rather have their students and alums kill themselves or other people onstage via the misuse/negligent use of guns rather than "legitimize the NRA and gun culture" by offering safety training. Not proficiency. Safety. And yes, that is a direct quote. That is not an outlier; it's actually representative of the initial position of most administrators/professors when I bring this topic up.

I lean fairly solidly liberal on a lot of topics (gun control being an *extremely* notable exception; being disabled and unable to run, my choices are "fight or die", which colors my views on gun ownership somewhat). But holy FUCK are people in the theatre community out of their minds about some of this stuff.
>>
>>46173896
>don't never have nothing to do with them liberal arts boys myself, ain't nothing but misery come to me that way, but I'm sad that it's gone and happened to you

If I don't, then I won't have a job. Theatre and film are populated almost entirely by left-wingers, many of them quite rabid.

Generally speaking, when you give them the blunt choice to either offer weapons training or risk killing an actor/stagehand/audience member, they tend to pull their heads out of their asses and go with the training. The exceptions are notable, and tend to form the bulk of the conversations at the bar when folks at our workshops meet up.
>>
>>46173780
>the MoC isn't really debuting tech, but reproducing MechTech that others have already produced, and 10 years behind at that.
it's still innovating and producing unique mech designs, which are supposed to take a hell of a lot of man-hours from states that know that they're doing, let alone a greasy third-rate power with an average sixth-grade literacy rate
honestly, the periphery should have stuck with upgraded versions of classic SL mechs through till the '60s, when designing their own mechs would be in the "15 years behind the IS" bracket that they were already in.
IS aid to periphery powers letting low-end assholes build mechs with more than DHS, FF, rare XLFEs and ERLLs/LBX/10s, I buy.
vague aid from a power that reasonably should be behind on L2 tech themselves allowing a power that has only ever built bugs and the occasional shad on their own allowing them to design a fistful of brand-new mechs after less than five years as pals? that's a bit off the end
>>
Just a question: how good are SPLs, MPLs, LPLs and the Clan equivalent of all three pulse lasers against infantry and BA, respectively?
>>
>>46173985
>allowing a power that has only ever built bugs and the occasional shad on their own

You realize that's an entirely specious argument, right? It doesn't matter a damn what they used to build. Once the Capellan techs get there and start training people and building factories, then anything goes. Your argument is fucking retarded on its face.

Whether you like it or not, the Capellans are a fully-realized, legitimate faction, and your point about them barely getting level 2 tech is even more idiotic. Cry harder about how everyone but your precious purple bird is OP, and GTFO. The fandom doesn't need you.
>>
>>46174032
LPLs and cLPLs/MPLs are overkill on most BA and pretty much all infantry.
>>
File: 1416115258090.png (186 KB, 332x512) Image search: [Google]
1416115258090.png
186 KB, 332x512
>>46173933
>I have, on official letterhead from a different school, a message stating unequivocably that they would rather have their students and alums kill themselves or other people onstage via the misuse/negligent use of guns rather than "legitimize the NRA and gun culture" by offering safety training. Not proficiency. Safety.
>>
>>46173933
>people in the theatre community
Not just theatre, unfortunately.

my mechwarriors probably do not have any safety training, going by their performance records
>>
>>46173985
>it's still innovating and producing unique mech designs, which are supposed to take a hell of a lot of man-hours from states that know that they're doing, let alone a greasy third-rate power with an average sixth-grade literacy rate
>honestly, the periphery should have stuck with upgraded versions of classic SL mechs through till the '60s, when designing their own mechs would be in the "15 years behind the IS" bracket that they were already in.
If the space Amish hadn't made the merlin in 3015 and the marshal had any L2 tech except the FF and a single MPL being made by the TC (who were more advanced than the MoC), I might agree with you. But it really does seem like you're trying to stretch what actually happened to fit with what you think happened.

The Eyleuka is the first periph mech that actually seems on par with IS mechs of the same period, and it's explicitly only made because the CC stepped in and helped with the hard parts.
>>
>>46173933
>I have, on official letterhead from a different school, a message stating unequivocably that they would rather have their students and alums kill themselves or other people onstage via the misuse/negligent use of guns rather than "legitimize the NRA and gun culture" by offering safety training. Not proficiency. Safety.
That would be tantamount to murder. They of all people should realize that guns are REALLY fucking dangerous. And yet, they refuse to learn how to use them safely. What the actual fuck. I just can't understand this mindset.
>>
>>46174032
>SPL
pulse bonuses and AI bonuses make for a nice combo for fucking up infantry. BA, with their probably-more-than-three-armor aren't quite as impressed by the SPL
>MPL
pulse bonuses and dealing a sizable amount of damage are good combos for dealing with BA. It isn't as good at killing infantry, although it does better than most direct-fire weapons.
>LPL
The IS LPL has the unfortunate drawback of dealing 9 damage, which is just enough to blow off the armor of most IS standard clones and leave the trooper inside naked but alive. Otherwise, the same things I said about the MPL applies.
>>
>>46174032

Against conventional infantry, the SPL (both versions) is a godsend. It deals less damage than an MG against infantry, but doesn't carry 200 shots, either. If you're something like a Thunderbolt or Battlemaster who just wants 1-2 guns for "just in case" anti-infantry use, SPLs are the perfect tool.

MPLs and LPLs are OK against infantry. Generally better than using most anything else (that isn't an LB AC), but they don't stand out appreciably, save for the fact that cMPLs and cLPLs allow you to *largely* outrange conventional infantry and kill them at your leisure.

Against BA, SPLs of all sorts are mostly useless. Too short-range and too low-damage. IS tech MPLs and LPLs are OK, in that they'll beat up a single suit most of the time, and they can hit a lot, but their short range is a problem and can expose you to fairly heavy counterfire. cMPLs and cLPLs, though, are great, due to the range advantage. 7 points from a cMPL will kill most light suits, and 10 from the cLPL kills a large chunk of the range of IS-tech suits in general.

>>46173985

My response would mirror most of >>46174055's post, though probably closer to the character limit and using more big words (and leaving out the "GTFO" part; there aren't enough BT fans in the first place to wish that). Especially the part about Cappie techs teaching people. Yeah, it probably happens 10 years too fast...but so do half the other things in-universe. Cappie recovery from the 4th SW, WoB military buildup, paying off Coleman's porch. That shit happens in a fictional universe. Pull out the stick and relax.
>>
>>46173959
I've been very, very lucky in that I'm an electrician and don't have to deal with them folks for a living, and I'm honestly sorry that you have to
my personal experience is with a fiancé who decided that she ought to get a degree fore she got married and went and got stone crazy at her school, culminating in her tossing me out the window for an actual, honest to God communist motherfucker who "understood the struggle" and shit
I's really 500% lucky that my best old friend and old Best Gal moved back home less than a year later and we ended up married
The moral of the story is, can't trust no liberal arts shit nohow
>>46174065
honestly, I's seen worse. they really do honestly think that a gun WILL make people murderous of it's own accord. I personally think it's them projecting their own psycho commie urge to kill all those who disagree with their hilariously specific brand of left-wing bullshit onto the general public and guns in particular
>>
>>46174157
>It deals less damage than an MG against infantry
It does the same 2D6 damage. HMG does more though. But you also have to deal with an even more atrocious 1/2 range bracket.
>>
>>46174157
>7 points from a cMPL will kill most light suits
Unless they are packin' implants, it'll kill all of them. 6+1 is the max there.
>>
>>46174242

Blah. I was thinking flamers. Mistake like that means it's bedtime.

>>46174247

Yeah, that was precisely what I was trying to imply. In retrospect, I probably should have actually mentioned implants.
>>
>>46174247
Or reflective armor. Though I can't remember off the top of my head if there are any RA light suits or not.

>>46174269
I'd rather think of flamers too. Even in introtech, I just don't think the "no heat" factor is enough to make MGs worth it over a flamer, short of going full Piranha. Except maybe in aerospace, since you don't get fucked over in range. And conventional fighters using rapid fire MGs can get a decent amount of punch out of them.
>>
>>46174341
Flamers getting 4d6 might be a bit much, to be honest.

But then again, they are just so bad otherwise.
>>
>>46174247
Reflec.
>>
>>46174158
>I's really 500% lucky that my best old friend and old Best Gal moved back home less than a year later and we ended up married
Living the dream, brother.
>>
>>46174370
Yeah, I think the 1/2/3 range brackets are just shitty enough to justify it.

The LMG works at 1D6 since it has enough range to pick at bog standard rifle platoons before they can retaliate, but MGs and flamers can only work in ranges that anything short of pure melee infantry can respond. This is especially bad for vehicles, since they're so weak to sandblasting.
>>
>>46167740
>experienced Sergeant Major Moretti in a Trebuchet walking the rookies through their first unsimulated live-fire

I'm having a flashback here. Hit the throttle, you'll be killin' people before breakfast today!

>>46173245
>>46173776
>first Nasty K, then Victor

Looks fluff-compliant.
>>
>>46174451
The real question is where is Joanna and a heart attack when you need them most.
>>
>all this MoC and liberal hate

Yes, yesss...release your anger!

>>46171420
>>46171469
muh dick

Stealing for TRO

>>46172609
dat kapetyn tho

what a beautiful dream...
>>
>>46174123
People are dumb. Like really dumb. And sheltered.
>>
>>46174656
>>46172633
>Kapetyn is to gather supplies
truth
>>
>>46174656
>TRO WHEN

Gosh, i hope my shitmechs made it in
>>
>>46174714
>tfw Kapetyn is dead
I just want to field Rokuwhatsits and Quasis in the same force. Tank n spank tactics.
>>
>>46168590
>The shorthand designation is Arg.
I like this.
>>
People who Devlin Stone isn't but totally should have been:
Trent Arian
William Blane
>>
>>46175507
>Devlin Stone is a disaffected/brainwashed Trent Arian
Fund it
>>
File: joanna.jpg (27 KB, 240x293) Image search: [Google]
joanna.jpg
27 KB, 240x293
>>46173245
[spoile]A Challenger Appears![/spoiler]
>>
My favorite thing about 3025 is how LRMs are actually LONG RANGE missiles. ELRMs are nice, but they just can't put a big enough cloud of missiles in the air.
>>
File: bennyisacock.png (211 KB, 1492x630) Image search: [Google]
bennyisacock.png
211 KB, 1492x630
Man, Ben is a jerk
>>
>>46177331
i never realize how retarded signatures are
>>
>>46177382
Someone here has my very favorite
>>
>>46173780
>>46173933
My GF is a theatre director, can confirm that so many actors are the scum of the earth. The rampant cheating and relationship drama that happens with them is pathetic. It's like high school again except with 30+ year-olds. Hell, getting the right mix of actors to willingly work with each other is so much harder than it should be, all because of their massively insecure egos pushing them to fuck anything with two legs and a bit of genitalia.

Anyway, to get back on track...what 'Mechs does the Outworlds Alliance make? The Bombardier, the Merlin...anything else?
>>
>>46177746
They make all three bugs, and one source apparently has them building one of the Kurita variant Chargers, though I don't know if it's been retconned yet
>>
>>46173933
Christ. I'm pretty liberal and generally for gun control (although a lot of anti "assault weapon" legislation is clearly written in ignorance), but that's just fantastically stupid of those people. Gun safety is better than gun stupidity.
>>
>>46173933
>being disabled and unable to run
Wait, what? I thought you posted a picture of yourself a while ago and you seemed able-bodied.
>>
>>46178289
>Gun safety is better than gun stupidity.
Ah, but if people know gun safety, than the "tragic accidents" that "prove the need for more gun control" won't happen, and they can't have that
>>
>>46178425
He said he used to be in the army, so I suspect that his knees and/or back are completely fucked
>>
>>46178455
Depends on what he did...but in general military service does tend to fuck up those two pretty badly if it fucks up anything other than your mind at all.
>>
>>46178431

Nah, that's playing the old "enemy has a devious master plan" game. Generally it's safe to assume that any long-term position, no matter how dumb it may sound, is genuinely held by that side. Even if it's "guns will kill us all the second you turn your back".
>>
>>46179241
Oh, I know that they're sincere idiots, I was just making a joke
>>
>>46173933
Damn.

My LGS recently banned legal open and concealed carry at their store. I wrote an email to management that I was taking my business elsewhere. I told them that every time I went into that store over the last 5 years, I had a gun concealed in my pocket and they didn't have a problem with it before. The exchange was civil, but the management flat out stated "customers are welcome, guns are not".

I then moved to a different LGS, but further away from my house.
>>
>>46179355
My LGS is right next door to a gun shop with a pistol and rifle shooting range.

>>46179355
Last saturday I got to give a Mad Cat a Highlander burial and then shot a couple hundred rounds through a Tavor.

murica
>>
>>46179455
Where is this glorious Xanadu that you speak of?
>>
How often do you find blue/brown water naval assets come up in your BT games.

I've been tempted to purchase a Monitor or two for my merc unit. General thoughts on their viabilit?
>>
>>46179587
What about a space monitor?
>>
>>46179587
Kraken Unleashed is my favorite merc unit. If I got to play at all anymore, every puddle would be inhabited by those submarine infantry from 3085, and every ocean would have an Argo patrolling. There'd also be all manner of WiGEs.

>>46179614
Won't ever get true monitors, just pocket warships and SDS.
>>
>>46179455
>My LGS is right next door to a gun shop with a pistol and rifle shooting range.
Nice.
The owner of the FLGS I went to all the time when I was younger (and worked at for most of highschool) also ran a mail-order gun accessory and parts business from the second floor of the store; he used to have a gun store instead of a game store on the first floor, but he switched over in '94 and gave up his FFL. He paid part of my wage in bourbon and gave me an old SKS when I turned 18, it was great.
Got my first battletech stuff from that store, too.
>>46179355
It's really a damn shame when two of your hobbies come into conflict, I'm sorry , buddy
>>
Have an enforcer on my desk (an anon's sister was kind enough to take a commission.) and a g20 in my suit pants.
Having my two hobbies at the office makes life bearable.

Back to BT related topics, I've been playing a lot of MM with friends trying to hook them, I'm a Steiner fag for lore, but more I'm playing I'm becoming a cappie fan for mechs.

What do? And any major mechs they share?
>>
>>46179791
>What do?
Mercs are a classic standby; say a bunch of capellan mechwarriors realize they're about to get the chop for political unreliability and opt to go merc, stealing their DropShip and legging it, only to end up working for the lyrans.
There you go, cap mechs, Steiner allegiance
>>
>>46179791
>Back to BT related topics, I've been playing a lot of MM with friends trying to hook them, I'm a Steiner fag for lore, but more I'm playing I'm becoming a cappie fan for mechs.
Welcome to the dark side
>What do? And any major mechs they share?
First thing that comes to mind for shared mechs is the Spector -5S and -ST, since it was literally a joint project.
>>
>>46179791
>I'm a Steiner fag for lore, but more I'm playing I'm becoming a cappie fan for mechs.
I feel you buddy. Lore-wise I enjoy the taurians and FedSuns, but when it comes to mechs I'm a Lyran at heart.
>>
>>46179719
No worries. My old LGS is where I got my comics and supplies from. My new LGS is where I actually play in a BT campaign. I've talked with the owner, and he is cool with concealed carry.

Currently in a SLDF force stationed on Burton, fighting Secret Army troops.
>>
File: 1429839794811.jpg (294 KB, 582x600) Image search: [Google]
1429839794811.jpg
294 KB, 582x600
>>46179566
Alabama.

Everyone who plays is current or retired military, and most of us are in the reserves or guard now. On AT last year we played a game against some guys from another battalion and stomped them flat. But they were good sports and drinks were had.

>mfw headcapping a major's Banshee 20 minutes into the game
>>
>>46178425

Pic wouldn't show the mass of hardware inside my lower right leg. Compound/displaced, spiral, tib/fib fracture in three locations along the shin, aggrivated by having to use the heat shields from my rifle as a splint when my LT made me walk the mile-ish - alone, with the aforementioned shattered leg - back to somewhere where a heli could come pick me up. Ended up with three rods holding the tib together spaced around the bone , and 2 plates on the fib. I have no memory of that trip at all, and my memory only comes back when the medics dropped me off the cart on the way into the hospital. I was on the ground, staring at two empty morphine syrettes.

Why make me go back like that? Because if he called an ambulance or for a heli where we were, someone would learn that we were two miles from where we were supposed to be, in some else's area of operations completely, and that clearly West Point wasn't teaching their graduates how to read a fucking map.

I can walk. I can even play hockey (at an EXTREMELY low level, which kills me since I used to play in college and this injury was a "learn to walk and skate from scratch" level thing), because a skating motion isn't a direct vertical impact along the length of the tib, and to do that I take a TON of painkillers (1600mg Ibprofen for a starter). The docs were extremely clear that if I run very much at all, the spiral-broken, angled, bone fragments will "slip" off of each other, and if that happens, it's 60/40 that I lose the leg at the knee.

All of which is good for a 30% rating through the VA.

>>46178431

You may think you're joking, but I know for a fact that there are people who think precisely that, because they've told me so directly.

For what it's worth, IWM allows concealed or open carry by employees as long as you inform Mike Noe that you're doing it an that it doesn't affect your work.
>>
>>46181412
>All of which is good for a 30% rating through the VA
Sounds like the fucking VA
>>
Holy shit, I was fucking around with swarming BA and Salamander (Anti-Infantry) are fucking scary as hell. Those arm-mounted HMGs.
>>
>>46181492
>set up a second run
>mfw I can use burst-fire MG rules
ahahahahaha
>>
>>46181412
I hope that LT got some form of disciplinary action for that bullshit.
>>
>>46181412
>All of which is good for a 30% rating through the VA.
That sounds like bullshit on their part. A guy I know gets 80% or some shit for saying he has a headache, so they call it potential brain damage or whatever (he mains Dracs so I can understand).

I got a shrapnel injury in my ankle and that rated me at 40%.
Whoever you're dealing with sound like assholes.
>>
>>46181539

No idea. He DID show up in my traction room in the ortho ward the next day with two shattered hips, though. He said it was a training accident and to shut the fuck up.

I personally like to think Top threw him off of a very tall something. Like a cliff or the barracks. In any case, he got med-boarded out of the Army, so his particular brand of stupidity didn't endanger anyone else.
>>
>>46181711

Excuse me. Two days later.
>>
File: 1458480860693.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1458480860693.gif
2 MB, 480x270
>>46181711
>tfw spending two years at Graf teaching shavetails how to call in close air support at danger-close distances
>tfw these guys are supposed to be leaders of men and they can't lead themselves to the latrine

Call me crazy but I like the idea in Starship Troopers (the book) of all officers being selected from the NCO corps.
>>
>>46181660
My brother in law got his hip blown open so bad he was off his feet for an entire year, even got medical'd out and they gave him 35%. He limps like a motherfucker and even though he keeps going after them they won't raise it for shit
>>
>>46181794
All mustangs all the time? It SOUNDS good, but it'd probably end up with all the motofuck regs-obsessed SNCO types as officers, which might actually be worse
>>
>>46181814
I don't understand that. Are they just jerks depending on where you live?
>>
Guys I apologize if this makes me sound like a pussy but all these descriptions of military injuries is giving me legit PTSD.

Can we talk about stompy robots? BT is what I use to not think about why I'm minus a foot and beep in metal detectors.
>>
>>46181871
Seems like they are pretty random about this shit. I've never dealt with them personally, cause I got medically DQ'd when I tried to enlist, but I know a lot of military guys and it seems pretty fucking arbitrary to me
>>
>>46181913
Oh shit, sorry brother
Let's talk about homebrew commands; everybody post your merc and homebrew house units
>>
>>46179355
Serves you right for being one of those crazy Americans
>>
>>46181466
>>46181871

It's random. In my case, I couldn't even get an appointment to get a rating for 2 years of repeated requests after being boarded out (2006). As it happens, my parents were pretty good friends with Rob Portman (as in "Senator"), and after two years of this crap, they off-handedly mentioned it to him at their Christmas get-together. Three days after they said they had talked about it, I got a phone call from the VA asking me to come in for a rating assessment appointment. Related or coincidence?

Probably related, actually.

>>46181913

No worries, dropping now.

>>46182231

I feel bad now, insofar as I haven't run a homebrew merc unit on a tabletop since 2009, and I have almost no surviving records of it. I've had an AtB unit, but that died when my computer blew up in December; I didn't think to make backups of the unit.

I should make a new one and reinstall AtB. There's no problems running MM and AtB in Windows 10, right?
>>
File: NEAs BTG Merc Unit Generation.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
NEAs BTG Merc Unit Generation.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46182231

Oh, wait, I DO have a merc unit ready to go!

I evidently did this a year-ish ago. I have no memory of doing it, but my memory's not the most reliable thing. So here's a merc unit, from generation through "ready to play."

Command Lance
>5H Grasshopper - Officer
>9K Victor - Enlisted
>ON2-M Orion - Enlisted
>CUSTOM (Regular; Heavy) - Enlisted

Scout Lance
>1D Phoenix Hawk - Officer
>10F Javelin - Enlisted
>1A Tarantula - Enlisted
>3G Stinger - Enlisted

Battle Lance
>7M Warhammer - Officer
>LH3 Lineholder - Enlisted
>WLF-1 Wolfhound - Enlisted
>CUSTOM (Veteran; Heavy) - Enlisted

Tank Platoon
Pegasus - 3 Crew; 1 officer, 3 enlisted
Pegasus - 3 crew; 3 enlisted
Alacorn - 6 crew; 6 enlisted
Alacorn - 6 crew; 6 enlisted

Tech Support: 10 Techs: 2 Officers (Both Elite); 8 Enlisted
Medical Staff: 4 Doctors: 4 Officers
1 Administrator: 1 Officer
>>
How do BA work in integration with a lance of mechs? My playgroup has been full grog for about a year now as we've slowly advanced tech and timelines, and we're about to get into the beginning of the Clan Invasion.
>>
>>46183012

If you're just hitting 3050, they don't really. BA are more like slightly mobile minefields. Figure out where the other guy needs/wants to do, and plop some BA on top of it. They're annoying to deal with and can soak up a surprising amount of damage, but after their first two SRM volleys they have neither the firepower nor speed to contribute much to a battle. Leg attacks are nice in theory, but it'll happen twice at most before your opponents will just say "fuck that" and stand back at range and tear the BA apart (or collapse buildings on them, in a city).
>>
>>46183012
I only really know of the Augmented lance; four mechs with two BA squads tacked on. Besides mixed Clan stars, you aren't gonna see lance-level organization with integrated BA.

AFAIK, everyone else technically just mashes squads and platoons of BA together with lances and companies of 'mechs when they want to combined arms.
>>
>>46182231

Current unit just wrapped up operation of Caph in 3060. Managed to kill Sarah Lindon of Lindon's Battalion during an attempt by them to recapture their dropship which was under our guard while the Stealthy Tigers were busy elsewhere. Two LRM head shots in one turn to an already lightly damaged Griffin she was leading the attack with.

Current Unit Roster is as follows:

>HQ Platoon:
VTOLs and Light BA

>Infantry/Engineering Company:
Tracked APCs with heavy foot infantry.

>Hundejager Platoon:
Reinforced Mixed Harasser Lance.

>Anvil Platoon:
Reinforced Lance of Heavy Armor.

>Hammer Platoon:
Griffin, Archer, and two Crusaders
>>
>>46183611
Pretty mech-light there.
>>
>>46184628

It's not a game about forced and unrealistic robots. If you can't win with vehicles, then you're not playing right.
>>
>>46184789
You're cute
>>
>>46182576
You seem to have an unusually high level of clusterfucking in your life
>>
>>46184628

Did just fine against the low end mercs and militias I faced in my first ten missions. Also saved up a bundle due to low priced rides.
>>
>>46184789
>apply LBX to tonk
>???
>profit
>>
File: Shadowhawk.jpg (99 KB, 500x555) Image search: [Google]
Shadowhawk.jpg
99 KB, 500x555
When do we get more of these Shimmy? WHEN!?!
>>
>>46188119
more of what? the mech, the art, the miniature?
>>
>>46188547
I think he means Shimmyseen.
>>
>>46188119
Ankles look all fucked up

Pose is boring as hell

Shimmy's mechs always look strangely static, even when they're doing something that should be fairly active - that jumping Falconer of his is a good example.
>>
>>46185628

How is that merc unit in any way a clusterfuck? I'd be thrilled to start a unit with that build.
>>
>>46189052
Presumably he's referring to the non-BT parts of NEA's life.
>>
/btg/RO sitrep: Plog is inking the last piece for the teaser TRO
>>
>>46189045
Not defending him against your critiques; far from. I actually agree on some points. But most of what he's been doing have been for use in making minis, as I understand it, because he works with a sculptor at IWM to make sure the next gen of minis doesn't suck. So his designs for that look less like illustrations and more like dynamic technical drawings.

That said, the Shimmyseen have been hit or miss with me so far. I don't think I've been ambivalent towards one of them; I either really like it or wish we were getting Alex's version or something instead. Still, at least they look like the Unseen, which will help with the grogs.
>>
>>46189112

Excellent news Muninn. Any estimate on teaser completion now that the last piece of art is incoming?
>>
File: fisty thunderbolt.jpg (3 MB, 4096x2160) Image search: [Google]
fisty thunderbolt.jpg
3 MB, 4096x2160
Welp, I got my nose broken tonight.
How has your evening been, /btg/?
>>
>>46190825
Are you that Spider?
>>
File: IMAG1159.jpg (2 MB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1159.jpg
2 MB, 2688x1520
Hey guys just got pic related for free at my LGS, every thing in the introductory box is there, how did I do?
>>
>>46191382
>free
You did well

And 3058 was a wonderful year.
>>
>>46191382
Damn son, you hit the jackpot
For free, you say? How'd you pull that one off?
>>
>>46190825
Pretty normal. Got up at about 6pm because fucked up sleep cycle, played some MWO and #rekt in a Locust.

On a game related note, I've been looking at Horizon Wars for another possible Battletech alternative. Positives are it works on a D12 base so a nice spread of stats, and it hass got a bunch of customisation built in. Neutral things are the presentation is nice which makes it easier to inflict on people and the damage system has the mech's stats degrade with damage but they can repair. Downsides are osprey publishing (not really a downside but I've never seen a game from them that did not need a fuckton more work) and it's not out yet so I can't properly judge anything.
>>
>>46191442
Some dude left a note on the table that said "Free to a good home."
>>
>>46191382
My first thought was you stole this. Then, I thought "nah, he'd brag about that". So nice luck man; I am waiting with baited breath for the Alpha Strike box so I can get more minis for my slightly more than modest collection.
>>
File: Archer refit.png (42 KB, 652x914) Image search: [Google]
Archer refit.png
42 KB, 652x914
The 2R is a nice mech, and one of the few 3025 designs that I'd use in the Jihad era or later.
But I think even greatness can be improved upon, and that's what I'm trying to do. An extra 3 shots per launcher, DHS, some ERs, a bit thicker of armor, and CASE help bring it into the modern era without actually updating the bones of this venerable battlemech. Technically this is factory-level anyways, but I like to think that not having to completely remake the skeleton puts it on another, more easily attained level.
>>
>>46191382
>move to new area
>go to my LGS
>ask if they carry Battletech stuff
>"uh, no dude but we got plenty of Warhammer" :DDD
>look around anyway
>find some BT stuff
>"oh i thought that was robotech dude. so do you play WH40k?" :DDD
not a good start
>>
>>46191799
I've always personally houseruled CASE to be a class C refit because it, and a fair few older designs make a lot more sense that way.
Also, IS LBX-20s take up ten crits, because seriously

Also, that's a pretty solid refit, man, does everything an Archer should. The CT guns being one forward and one back bugs the hell out of me, but that's the only "flaw" that I see
>>46191810
That's unfortunate, man
>>
>>46190080
IRL is going full steam, but it's basically Plog sending the inked piece, final fluff writes, final editing and formatting pass, and release. All that just depends on how much free time I get the next few nights.
>>
File: 1388689237801.gif (937 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1388689237801.gif
937 KB, 500x281
>>46192374
>>
Are there any planets or regiments that are particularly Polish? I feel like it's a culture I haven't found a SPAAACE version of yet.
>>
File: Half the Battle.jpg (276 KB, 1133x608) Image search: [Google]
Half the Battle.jpg
276 KB, 1133x608
I'm finally home from 12 hours of engineering grind, haha time for /btg/
>TFW reading through this thread true.
>>
>>46192804
There's a New Silesia in the LC, but that's about it.
I have my own polish-themed merc unit, but there's nothing in the way of canon units
>>
>>46192804
Poznan, in Tikonov. Predlitz, possibly. Maybe more.
>>
File: BattleTech General Rejected.png (17 KB, 210x187) Image search: [Google]
BattleTech General Rejected.png
17 KB, 210x187
>>46192882

Wait, is that a positive comment about BT players? That's not allowed, you know. Everyone here is, without exception, a terrible person whom the world would be better off without, unlike those glorious shining lights from the OF.

(Seriously, though, what's so positive about this thread? I'm so jaded reading BTG I genuniely can't tell)
>>
>>46192804
There's Koziuscko is Tamarind-Abbey
>>
>>46193106
>NEA relays his misadventures.
>not even a single troll pretending to be some redditfag to stir shit.
>Entire day went by without a faction shitflinging.
>Thread only derails with commiserating about the VA and the shit that old soldiers have to put up with.
It's not exactly the most exciting thread, but dammit, it's the most mature /btg/ we've had in a while.
>>
File: 1327722804241.jpg (64 KB, 236x251) Image search: [Google]
1327722804241.jpg
64 KB, 236x251
>>46193263
Thread ain't over yet.
Hold on to your buttes.
>>
So, shadowhawks. I notice only one variant runs a gauss rifle. Seems like a natural fit for a longer range mobile mech.
>>
>>46193317
It's hard to keep the "classic" Shadow Hawk weapons profile and give it a Gauss, to be honest.
>>
>>46193317
>LGR
>Gauss rifle
Anon.
>>
>>46193317
I rather like them with the bog standard AC/5 or the LAC/5 because I like specialty ammo, but that's just me. Replacing everything else on them with upgraded tech is more than welcome, though.
>>
>>46192113
>The CT guns being one forward and one back bugs the hell out of me, but that's the only "flaw" that I see
I can't pull all the rear-facing guns. That just feels wrong to me, I dunno.

I did leave the rear-facing one as a medium laser, because I figured that replacing it wouldn't be all too high a priority.
>>
>>46193317

The Shad -7M is actually a really nice skirmisher in a "wolfpack", and it's one of the very few times I like a LGR on a Mech. The LGR/LRM-15 combination give the Mech enough of a throw-weight to fight heavier units meaningfully at medium-long or long range, and the 5/8/5 movement profile gives them just enough mobility to be able to dictate range to move 4/6/x heavies. It's not a completely optimized Mech (I mean, one should never use it in hyper-entropic warfare), but it's good *enough* at being a heavy skirmisher that out-ranges scout units so significantly that they can't depend on range being a defense.

All the usual caveats about making a Mech "better" definitely apply (get rid of the LGR, etc), but I can't bring myself to care that much. A trio of SHD-7Ms is a versatile enough formation it can fit into pretty much ANY unit, save perhaps Mercer Ravinnon's units or the Davion Assault Guards.

I will say that the more of them you have in a tactical maneuver unit, the better they get, though. A single -7M is pretty meh, but they synergize with themselves pretty nicely.
>>
>>46193106
Because it's been a fun and mature thread aside from a handful of trolling at the top.
Funny enough, the bit in the middle kina reminds me of when I used to sit around the VFW hall with my grandpa when I was a kid. I guess solderly bitching is a constant of the universe
>>
>>46193476
The single ton of ammo for the 15 is the worst part, IMO.
>>
>>46193628
It makes sense since the LRM torso lacks case, but at the same time you could make room for CASE and another ton of ammo.
>>
File: DVC00383.jpg (128 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
DVC00383.jpg
128 KB, 640x480
>>46193628
>>46193726

Yeah, I bounce back and forth on this myself. I've had a fair number of times when the single ton of ammo has been expended when the bin gets hit and it saves the Mech. Other times I need the extra ton of ammo. I can see both sides.

I generally use -7Ms as skirmishers and counter-recon units, so engagement windows are short enough that the lack of ammo doesn't *usually* become a huge problem. But yeah, when you're forced to have to engage in a line fight, you're best off expending your ammo as fast as possible and then run all your Shads in close to beat the hell out of somebody.

>>46193570
>I guess solderly bitching is a constant of the universe

I'm reasonably certain that extant written records of soldierly bitching go back to the Romans at least, so yeah, probably. Aside from the differences in tech (complaints from legionairres about their NVG batteries lasting 30 minutes or less would be rare at best), the stuff we complain about would be commiserated with by those same Romans: having to carry too much shit around, lousy chow, incompetent leadership more concerned with their careers than us, and so forth.
>>
>>46193950
>I'm reasonably certain that extant written records of soldierly bitching go back to the Romans at least, so yeah, probably. Aside from the differences in tech (complaints from legionairres about their NVG batteries lasting 30 minutes or less would be rare at best), the stuff we complain about would be commiserated with by those same Romans: having to carry too much shit around, lousy chow, incompetent leadership more concerned with their careers than us, and so forth.

>Oh, fuck me, Legate Romulos is at it again.
>Decurion Alexandros, can you believe that retard is actually in charge of people?
>>
File: History of the World Part 1.jpg (108 KB, 1280x544) Image search: [Google]
History of the World Part 1.jpg
108 KB, 1280x544
>>46194105
>Oh, fuck me, Legate Romulos is at it again.
>Decurion Alexandros, can you believe that retard is actually in charge of people?

I'm pretty sure this guy would have some material on that.
>>
>>46194266
He's a terrible bullshit artist. He can't even handle the main room.
>>
File: Bandersnatch BNDR-03CM.png (35 KB, 444x814) Image search: [Google]
Bandersnatch BNDR-03CM.png
35 KB, 444x814
I just designed this bandersnatch. it retains the vehicle-molesting firepower and autocannon versatility, but I dunno, it just doesn't feel right to have a bandersnatch without LBX-10s
>>
>>46194336
I know Banderbros like symmetry and all, but one PR and one LB-10X could be good too.
>>
>>46194322

Nerves, man. Everyone knows that when you die at Caesar's Palace, you *die* at Caesar's Palace.
>>
>>46194336
Those LAC/5s though
>>
File: Bandersnatch BNDR-02D.png (35 KB, 454x826) Image search: [Google]
Bandersnatch BNDR-02D.png
35 KB, 454x826
>>46194441
here's another LAC/5 bandersnatch (ever since I started using the LAC/5, it's always struck me as something that the Bandersnatch would really like)
it looses long-range firepower, but it's an absolute demon on fast targets if you load precision
>>
>>46194664
I was more lamenting the fact that that was the perfect chance to drop it to an LFE.
>>
File: Bandersnatch BNDR-01C.png (51 KB, 616x1066) Image search: [Google]
Bandersnatch BNDR-01C.png
51 KB, 616x1066
>>46195062
I have a LFE Bandersnatch that only gives up one ML, if that interests you
>>
Dead thread dead game
>>
>>46193476
wtf is 'hyper entropic' sounds like battlemech anus cancer
>>
>>46197591
Pretty much dead on accurate. Good job.
>>
>>46197591
'Hyper-entropic warfare' is a term used in one of the Stackpole books.
Then some dingus on the OF latched on to it and used it to 'justify' why his 3/5 100-ton 'Mechs loaded with nothing but Streak SRMs were perfectly optimized and completely unbeatable. When people dared to point out how easily the things could be kited to death, he went full retard and screamed that the designs he posted (as standalones) were actually supported by walls of artillery or complementary designs that forced opponents to stay in its sweet-spot.
>>
>>46198080
Stackpole's book only covers "entropic" warfare, and, IIRC, a 3/5 assault loaded with SSRM-6s is not very entropic. From what I remember (and I'll try to find the passage), entropic warfare relies on breaking your opponent's ability to wage war, including hitting key officers and supply lines. Both generally imply faster 'Mechs and not slow behemoths with no range. Anybody have some of the abomination's supporting designs?
>>
>>46198419
He never actually posted any of the stat-blocks for those supporting machines. Strange, that.
>>
>>46197591
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=16178
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=16239
>>
>>46198419
Found the passage: p. 78-79, Grave Covenant

>if you make the enemy move where you want him to, hit key command and control units so he begins to lose command cohesion, then you hit him hard enough to shock his troops--and it's vital that the shocking occurs--the enemy's troops will crumble. They literally won't know why they are where they are, they won't know what to do,, and they'll be faced with enemies against whom there is no defense.

To me, it sounds like what you would want would primarily be Cavalry heavies and other flexible, relatively fast units. I'll admit that I'm not armchair general, but Knight's 'Mechs don't sound ideal for entropic warfare.
>>
>>46197591
A theory introduced by the blackest of characters.

>Focht nodded at a man in a Federated Commonwealth uniform. The man's ebon skin spoke of his African ancestry, but his crisp and precise gait as he approached the podium attested to military upbringing and training. Victor knew that the man was one of Doc Trevena's analysts and Doc spoke highly of him. For Doc to let him make this presentation means the guy has a lot on the ball.

>The Precentor Martial nodded at the man. "For those of you who have not met him, this is Dr. Michael Pondsmith. He is currently serving in the Armed Forces of the Federated Commonwealth as a Kommandant, though when not on active duty he is an instructor at the Sakhara Academy. His field of study is military history and quantitative analysis. His studies have found a model of warfare upon which we will build our assault, and we have asked him here to explain it to you. In this way we will all start with the same foundation. Dr. Pondsmith."

>"Thank you, Precentor Martial." Pondsmith's voice came deep and rich, instantly commanding attention. "The model of warfare I have been studying is known as Entropy-based Warfare. It was developed by Dr. Mark Herman, a military analyst and designer of military conflict simulations in the late twentieth and early twenty-first century. It adds a third realm of conflict to the usually accepted dual-realm model of warfare. The additional material this theory addresses has been, at various times, dismissed as difficult to quantify or only marginally influential; but the fact is that this model applies very directly and significantly in facing a threat like the Clans."
>>
>>46199138
>Pondsmith hit a button on the podium's control panel and a yellow holographic circle appeared before the delegates. "Warfare modeling began very simply. One mode was taken into account, here represented by this yellow circle. It is lethality: the ability of troops to kill other troops and the effect of such power on the enemy. We all know—most recently from the Clan invasions themselves—that an enemy's ability to project lethality upon troops can make those who survive the attack crumble because of the horror and fear created by this projection of lethal force. For the longest time, lethality was the only element in warfare and, even up to the time of post-industrial military conflicts, it was the primary deciding factor in war."

>Victor saw a red circle burn into the projection and overlap with the yellow one. It bore the legend "Disruption."
>"As tactical considerations increased and became more necessary—because increased lethality and range accompanied military technological advances and increased the size of battlefields and wars—non-lethal and deceptive methods of causing problems for the enemy became valuable. If an enemy could be made to think you were going to attack at one place when, in fact, you meant to attack at another, his military might would be misplaced and wasted. Even keeping enemy troops on alert for an attack that never comes will have a serious effect on their ability to wage war.

>"The overlap between lethality and disruption comes from the advantage gained when command and control units are destroyed, or supply lines are disrupted. By a very specific projection of lethality, a target that affects the enemy's ability to respond can be destroyed. Kill a messenger relaying orders to a unit and that unit never moves. Kill a commander and that unit has no brain. While these units are by no means taken out of the battle, they are less than effective in helping to prosecute it."
>>
>>46199156
>The black man pointed to the center of the room as a blue circle materialized and overlapped with the other two. "The Herman model adds in this third element: friction. It accounts for the damage done to a unit through wear and tear, both of maintenance necessary to keep it operational while on station and especially the problems caused by bringing the force to battle. Desertion, vehicle breakdown, taxing of fuel and food supplies, morale problems, and a host of other barely tangible factors fall into this realm. The green area of overlap between friction and lethality is known as maintenance attrition. It covers the inability of a force to repair damage and recover from a battle. The purple overlap between friction and disruption is called inertia and covers the damage done to a unit as it reacts to false threats and other deceptions.

>"The central area there, where all three circles overlap is the crux of entropy-based warfare. What it says is this: if you make the enemy move where you want him to move, hit key command and control units so he begins to lose command cohesion, then you hit him hard enough to shock his troops—and it's vital that shocking occurs—the enemy's troops will crumble. They literally won't know why they are where they are, they won't know what to do, and they'll be faced with enemies against whom there is no defense. If war is hell," Pondsmith concluded, "entropy-based warfare is Satan's sauna."

literally changed warfare in the Inner Sphere forever
>>
>>46199138
>>46199156
>>46199170
To be fair, "hyper-entropic" warfare is what Alex Knight thinks is the "logical extension" of the entropic warfare Stackpole describes. Entropic warfare at least sounds good on paper, while "hyper-entropic warfare" is the complete wrong way to take it.

If you had enough of them and plenty of good supporting units, you could use his HEW 'Mechs, but that would be entirely reliant on the idea that your opponent will not try to push through a wall you made, and a purpose much better served by less specialized 'Mechs.
>>
The real questions is, if entropic warfare is Satan's sauna, then what's hyper entropic warfare?

Satan's humidifier?
>>
>>46199334
Satan's lukewarm microwave soup
>>
>>46199301
The dude rerigurated The Art of War for kids, basically. You could also say that they weaponized Clausewitz's friction, if you're more familiar with that concept.

Though it's doubtful how well that would work on the Clans who don't have a rigid command structure and take pride in fighting limited, clear-cut engagements to begin with.
>>
File: 1456534287679.jpg (80 KB, 478x640) Image search: [Google]
1456534287679.jpg
80 KB, 478x640
>>46199734
^this on both counts.

It's nothing new to war, and people that believe it is are probably the types that think Napoleon changed warfare or implemented new tactics.

And against the Jaguars, honestly it was just another straw to break their backs. They were already fucked due to poor logistics and inability to rebuilt their frontline formations (even if their second line ones were shockingly well-equipped).
I'd have liked to have seen how Operation Bulldog would have fared if they had continued, as was suggested, against Clan Ghost Bear.

How would the Bears have fared?
>>
>>46199803
They would have been ilClan a few years sooner.

>Leviathans errwhere
>>
>>46199831
Their two Leviathans hadn't been converted to battleships yet.
>>
>>46199901
True, but the Bears were well into the process of moving out of the homeworlds. The taskforce would have been fighting a much tighter and more well defended supply train. Also, the Bears closer integration with the people of their OZ meant that Bulldog's infrastructure attacks would be racking up civilian casualties and basically driving the rest of the Rasalhague people into the Bears' arms.

Unless some unlikely shit came down to drop the Leviathan right into a Bulldog ambush early on, the Bears would have time to mount it's weaponry and bring it around to smash the Bulldog fleet.
>>
>>46199803
That depends on if they can break any Lyran units loose of kitty's control, being as da bears have a decent chunk of lyran space. If they can get lyran troops in on it, it's game over for the bears. Otherwise, it would go very hard for the IS
>>
>>46200212
>True, but the Bears were well into the process of moving out of the homeworlds
That adds to the opportunity for success, with logistics spread out and targets spread over an area that makes defending them all harder.

>Also, the Bears closer integration with the people of their OZ
Was that a thing yet in 3059? Seems like it came much later. Ragnar was still with the Wolves, after all.

>Unless some unlikely shit came down to drop the Leviathan right into a Bulldog ambush early on
It's Focht and VSD man. They'd have entropied it like day 1 through some DEST or Rabid Fox deus ex.
>>
>>46199803
Depends. If the IS decides to fight it 100% straight, I can see the bears surviving with a small enclave and SEVERELY battered military, like blood spirit-tier. If it's war to the knife, then the bears die but the repercussions would be extremely grave
>>
File: WoB.jpg (45 KB, 594x789) Image search: [Google]
WoB.jpg
45 KB, 594x789
>>46200313
>then the bears die but the repercussions would be extremely grave
For you
>>
>>46200212
>Also, the Bears closer integration with the people of their OZ
Actually, funny thing about that. Thanks to the sloppy writing associated with bearwank, canonically, they were huge dicks, nearly as bad as the jags right up until they do an extreme 180 in the '60s, long after the hypothetical Operation Bear Dog would take place
>>
>>46199803

>How would the Bears have fared?

Clan We Always Prepare And We Never Lose vs a hastily-planned and executed attack. I wonder.

Besides, the Bears had the better part of 60 highly-skilled Clusters setting up in their OZ. The IS would have had to find almost 200 regiments to take a serious run at them, which isn't politically or logistically realistic.

>>46200230

The Bears didn't control any Lyran worlds. That was the Wolves.

>>46200313

Unifying and mobilising to take on a force of less than 40 understrength and under-supplied Jag Clusters took almost 100 regiments/Clan Clusters and expended the political capital of everyone in favour of the attack. The Bears were a lot more dug-in and at full strength. The logistical undertaking to get the much smaller Jaguars was already extreme. Then there's the matter of not having a Bear equivalent for Trent.

>>46199301

Demerzel isn't Alex Knight.

Alex is arguably more retarded than Demerzel since he managed to lose to a HEW force despite having the Manei Domini half of the Opacus Venatori to fight them with.
>>
>>46200604
>The Bears didn't control any Lyran worlds.
>implying the FRR was a legitimate political entity and not squatting on lyran territory
>>
>>46200604
>Dermerzel isn't Alex Knight

Shows how much I care about the OF.
>>
>>46200604
>Alex is arguably more retarded than Demerzel since he managed to lose to a HEW force despite having the Manei Domini half of the Opacus Venatori to fight them with.
Holy fuck, I need to see the AAR of this game. That's fucking hilarious
>>
>>46200657
Oh look it's one of them Lie-rans, or Tharkaniggers as I call them.
>>
File: 1418595907327.jpg (54 KB, 601x469) Image search: [Google]
1418595907327.jpg
54 KB, 601x469
>>46200366
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.