[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
EDH/Commander General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46
File: edhg.jpg (33 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
edhg.jpg
33 KB, 223x310
Meta Edition

>RESOURCES

http://www.mtgcommander.net
>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.

http://www.tappedout.net
>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh
>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.

http://www.edhrec.com/
>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.

http://manabasecrafter.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.

CARD SEARCHING

http://gatherer.com
>Official search site. Current for all sets but has a terrible UI.

http://www.magiccards.info
>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.

How's your meta? Control-heavy? Missing a colour? Richfag infested?
>>
1st for please gimme feedback on my bad +1/+1 counter deck with a reanimation subtheme
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/05-03-16-anafenza-the-foremost/
>>
>>46164332
>my KMC sleeves and perfect fits arrived

I can't wait to feel how double sleeved decks are like.
>>
>>46164501
>double sleeved 99 card deck
Do you have giant hands or something? How the fuck are you going to shuffle all that?
>>
>>46164531
It doesn't matter how, but the moment a deck of mine hits $500, I know I have to protect the cards better.
>>
Name fun cards that synergize or work as a mechanical theme with Geist of Saint Traft.

Reconnaissance, Dolmen Gate, Maze of Ith, Ith, Gustcloaks are already on the list.
>>
>>46164613
I have the fancy black on black Kid Chandra that I wanted to use but I can't fucking justify double sleeping an EDH deck.

I ended up just using a regular kid Chandra.
>>
>>46164613
>>46164706
just double sleeve the single cards?
>>
File: craterhoof.jpg (49 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
craterhoof.jpg
49 KB, 312x445
I see you're all tapped out. GG?
>>
>>46164724
They'd be thicker than the other ones, which can be cheating.

>>46164706
Protect your cards, I'm sure you're not some sissy with baby hands. It's harder to shuffle, but it feels soo secure.
>>
>>46164332
Anyone here play French? I was wondering if the will ban Tasigur.
>>
>>46164764
Are you playing in GPs? If you dont play in anything higher than a FNM, just only double sleeve the value cards, nobody cares
>>
>>46164400
You should cut Phalanx Leader and Fabled Hero. You have very few ways to trigger heroic.
Consider Forgotten Ancient and Increasing Savagery. Corpsejack Menace is perfect for this deck. Fertilid is a cool in-theme dork. Deathreap Ritual might be good, might be overcosted. Elvish mystic is better than Avacyn's Pilgrim. Vigor Mortis and Grave Betrayal fit reanimation and counters.
>>
>>46164759
Why would you tap out in the mid to late game when you know your opponents are getting ready for worse bombs than him?
>>
>>46164759
Craterhoof Behemoth does 6 damage on its own. Untapping and casting it on an empty board doesn't do shit. Untapping and casting it with a full board makes it basically not much better than Overrun because at that point the extra damage is negligible. The card's good but it's 8 fucking mana and under normal circumstances it's counterable.
>>
>>46164782
a lot of people care
>>
>>46164724
Nah, don't want to cheat.

>>46164764
Eh. My most expensive card is probably like, 15 bucks unless random speculation dragged up the price. That Chandra is the only exception and I don't even use it. I bought her for 50 bucks. Super lucky.
>>
>>46164776
Didn't they already?
>>
>>46164782
I care. I'm thinking of buying full art lands to replace my foil ones because they're a bit curled up too.
>>
>>46164531
I have zero issues shuffling my double sleeved decks and my hands are so small it's actually a topic of embarassment for me.
>>
>>46164811
Admittedly, there are times when his effect is +8/+8, if not +18/+18. You are admittedly already winning in those cases usually, but some playgroups do get cluttered board states.

And people tend to cheat him into play.
>>
>>46164795
Thanks! Yeah I actually wanted to make that better a long time, put in a bit of stuff only because of them. Think im throwing out strength of the tajuru with them.
Very cool suggestions, especially grave betrayal is interesting.
Any particular reason why Mystic is better? I have more white than green in the deck, so I figured pilgrim was the way to go.
>>
>>46164863
Naw, he is still able to be played, when do they normally do it?
>>
Made Arjun combo/burn last month, found Gusthas Sceptar and some fun, need some more ideas for wincons besides Psychosis Crawler, Tutelage, Molten Psyche and LabMan got anything juicy for me?

>How's your meta?
Someone made Ghave stax and everyone but me is having a hard time adapting to enchantment/artifact removal
>>
>>46164887
>>46164811
>Anger in graveyard?
>Check
>Tooth & Nail for Avenger and Craterhoof
>Attack for 150
>>
>>46164891
>Any particular reason why Mystic is better?
Brainfart. For some reason I thought it made any colour.
>>
>>46164940
>implying that all of those are in the deck
>thinking that even that is really hard to beat
what do you sit on your hands for 17 turns then drop something.
>>
>>46164759
Discard an island and another card to pay the alternative cost of foil

Faget
>>
>>46164972
>>46164972
Uh, do you even know what Tooth & Nail does?

If they are already in my hand, I just tutor for another card and put Avenger + Craterhoof into play.
>>
File: puma.jpg (28 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
puma.jpg
28 KB, 223x310
I see you're all tapped out. GG?
>>
>>46165060
Yes, I know what it does and no it is not that bad. Tooth & Nail is nine mana after entwine that is perfectly fine to have as a finisher.
>>
>>46165069
Still a shitty, unfunny meme. Kill yourself.
>>
>>46164925
Niv Mizzet, thought reflection, alharammet's archive.
>>
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 223x310
Lots of artifact decks in my meta. So I play this.
>>
>>46164613
>read this
>wonder how much my deck of choice is worth
>check tappedout list
>$420
>mfw
>>
My meta is super light on removal, both spot and mass. Most people seem to build their deck to interact with itself, and ignore the other players. Colors are pretty balanced, and no one does anything really tier 1 busted. Token aggro is popular, but most people are cowards who won't run MLD, so they don't win a lot.
>>
>>46164531
>having baby hands
look at this man and laugh
>>
>>46166407
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu_bE7g2wqM
>>
>>46164332
Misdirection
So many fags playing time warps it's so stupid, so I've been stealing extra turn spells I don't even run
>>
How do I build marath, other than tokens/fatties/tribal elementals?
>>
>>46164332
What should I do if I'm just getting started with this?
>>
>>46167621
Buy a precon or two, play with friends.
>>
>>46164940
Christ I wish they would ban tooth and nail and other crutch cards. It wouldn't be bad if shit like sol ring, mana vault, and mana crypt didn't exist
>>
>>46167796
Get a MTGO account and make an account on there. Most of the cards are a shitload cheaper than the actual paper cards, (Except for a few exceptions, like Ashnod's Altar being $1 for paper but the online card is $15 for some reason)
>>
Alright people. Commander 2016 is months and months away, but isn't it fun to speculate and post your hopes and dreams.

>Speculation
>Allied-colors

>Hopes and dreams
>GR - Lorwyn-style goblins and boggarts, Auntie and Guttural Response
>WG - Not just tokens/elves as that was 2014. Maybe treefolk/dryad tribal?
>RB - Kolaghan or Dominaran style human berserkers and dragons
>WU - Azorius snobbery and control
>UB - Probably some sort of milling thing and use of the Skulk evergreen word, because boring
>>
>>46167596
>How do I build marath,
Well, you probably wanna throw in some...
>other than tokens/fatties/tribal elementals?
Never mind
>>
>>46167970
WU will definitely have spirit tribal shit.

I honestly want Planeswalkers because my meta is retarded and never attack them.
>>
>>46164759
>Force of Will
>>
File: flying.jpg (48 KB, 634x415) Image search: [Google]
flying.jpg
48 KB, 634x415
WHEN ARE WE GETTING MORE FLYING BOATS?
THESE THINGS ARE FUCKING AWESOME
SHITTERS CANT STOP ME WHEN I GRAB ONE OF THESE
>>
>>46167970
GR- At least one Hydra legend. Maybe something enabling haste, trample, other combat keywords by the number of +1/+1 counters on the commander.
WG- Either something tokens or possibly taking a hoser spot instead of WU
RB- Hoping for a Big Fucking Skeleton On Fire.
WU- A flyer enabler, maybe a weird spin on the color with a focus on auras? Probably going to be don't do this unless I say so though.
UB- Mill. It still won't be viable. That or graveyard spellcasting.
>>
>>46168072
I'm trying to make a deck that does something different, just to diversify. I have Ghave for tokens, and new omnath for fatties/elemental tribal. I bought the marath precon as my entrance to EDH and kinda wanna rebuild him just for nostalgia.
>>
>>46168437
I mean, you could do a Kiki-chord type deck. This isn't mine, but this guy's deck is pretty good.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ill-respond-to-that/
Beware, /tg/ will probably call you a fag if you run this though.
>>
can someone teach me an example of how to build r/w land destruction? or like, show me a competitive list that can win at a table with serious decks. specific flavor doesn't matter. could be full stax or could be good stuff, ill take whichever, just looking to learn
>>
>>46168616
/tg/ will probably call him a fag regardless, though.
>>
any cockatrice type things my friends and I can get our hands on to play from across the nation?
>>
God I'm fucking sick of seeing Ezuri and Meren
>>
>>46168616
>beware, /tg/ will probrobly call you a fag if you run this though.

Why's that?
>>
>>46169116
There's Cockatrice if you're okay with doing the rules yourself, and XMage if you want rules enforcement.
>>
>>46169147
I made Kalitas because my entire meta is Meren with no grave hate.
>>
>>46169147
I'm sick to death of most of the mainstream French commanders. Yisan and Jace VP are especially boring to watch.
>>
>>46169308
I thought cockatrice got CnD'ed?
>>
>>46169389
Nope, still working as far as I'm aware.
>>
File: 1343584766094.jpg (3 KB, 126x126) Image search: [Google]
1343584766094.jpg
3 KB, 126x126
>>46169221
Mainly cause there are some folks on /tg/ that gets all booty-blasted about anything that looks like an infinite combo. /tg/ would rather stick to Creatures: the Tappening decks and complain.
>>
>>46169372
>>46169147
I'm sick to death of this format and of every last one of you faggots but you don't hear me bitching about it.
>>
>>46169478
There are some folks on /tg/ that get all booty-blasted about any single deck you can come up with. Saying people will call him a fag for a deck is completely meaningless. You just wanted an excuse to complain about "le creatures le tappening :^)".
>>
>>46169478
people on /tg/ will complain about literally any deck
>>
File: 47895739475.jpg (5 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
47895739475.jpg
5 KB, 480x360
Alright guys. I need help.
I'm pretty desperate. The blue player in our playgroup built teferi stax. We need to find a way to beat his ass in. I need some hardcore anti-blue hate, and I need it NOW.
>>
>>46169866
pithing needle naming teferi

make him wallow in the stax pit with the rest of you for a game or two
>>
>>46169866
Why do you post this with the same image every thread?
>>
>>46169866
Choke.
Boil.
That red enchantment that makes a player sacrifice a land any time it's tapped during another player's turn.
Sigarda 1.0
>>
help me, /tg/. I need a fun W or W/x (max 2 colors, not tryna spend too much on lands) deck that does something unexpected for its colors. No tokens, angels, lifegain, voltron, pillowfort, any of that BS that's stoppped me form making a white deck in the first place. Preferably under 200 USD.
>>
>>46169866
people gave you everything you wanted in the last thread. Why do you need anything else
>>
File: 1456108965340.jpg (167 KB, 1280x1444) Image search: [Google]
1456108965340.jpg
167 KB, 1280x1444
>>46170006
>I want a white deck
>That doesn't do any of the stuff white does
What the fuck do you expect from us exactly?

Go build hokori stax or something I guess
>>
>>46170006
Hokori stax
>>
>>46165373
Idk, it still gets me everytime
>>
>>46170074
Could it be because you're a humongous faggot?
>>
File: mmmm chinky.jpg (225 KB, 1024x748) Image search: [Google]
mmmm chinky.jpg
225 KB, 1024x748
>From last thread

Hullo. I'm trying to tune up my Yisan deck for GP LA in May, and I'd appreciate some feedback on what I've got right now: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/yisan-32116/

Right now my Heaths are in my bud's modern deck, so while it isn't in the list, I've got one, thought I do not have a Misty. I know I need a Staff of Domination and Temur Sabertooth, but the only card I *really* want to cut is Collected Company. Any suggestions from there? I'm on a bit of a budget, so telling me I need a Crypt or Mox Diamond is just preaching to the choir.
>>
>>46169866
Anything that says "destroy all artifacts."
Play Teeg, get hateful.
Play Derevi, stax harder and faster, become the new alpha.
>>
Looking to make a grixis curse deck, other then the curses themselves,paradox haze, and copy enchantment, what else should I include?
>>
>>46170150
clever impersonator.
>>
>>46170150
Might as well get the Hondens while you're at it.
>>
>>46170090
I just find it funny that someone is autistic enough to keep the joke going for this long
>>
>>46170101
Cut Company for Asceticism? Might not be too useful, but giving hexproof to all your creatures sounds pretty good.
>>
is it worth running hedonist's trove in karador?
>>
>>46170101
I don't love Whisperwood. I guess wrath insurance is nice but a board of 2/2s with no ETB abilities doesn't seem awesome to me. Would rather go Muse -> Soul of New Phyrexia

I do like Woodland Bellower to grab a 1-3 CMC guy that you skipped for something else.
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-black-parade-1/
how can i make this deck better for multiplayer?
>>
>Try to play with others with decks that I just play for fun
>They have more disposable income than me
>End up playing against linear decks all the time
>never win, stop having fun with my decks after a while
Do I continue the arms race in this case?
>>
>>46170542
Off the top of my head you need to add hatred/lashwrithe/liliana of the dark realms.
>>
Ith edh
SHOULD I do it?
I'm already a good bit of money into Alesha but most of it is sfm
>>
>>46170542
>http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-black-parade-1/

Get rid of instill infection, add Hatred, laugh as you kill a player out of nowhere. Tainted Strike for bonus bonus for having another player kill someone else with Infect.
>>
>>46170373
Probably not, although the change to the off-color mana rules do make it better.
>>
File: angry moth.gif (529 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
angry moth.gif
529 KB, 480x360
>>46164759
>every thread
>>
>>46170605
I adamantly believe that mono-colored decks are the way to keep up in an arms race. Mono-red is arguably the worst of the single colors in terms of utility but you can kill the table with Purphoros or Krenko before they can actually play anything you give a shit about.
>>
>>46170736
I do have a mono-black zombie deck, but I think I might just need to get more meta counters for my decks too. I mainly play against Meren and Slivers, so I may need to run more grave hate and maybe land destruction, though I might get hated for it.
>>
File: norin chaos is SHIT.gif (2 MB, 329x319) Image search: [Google]
norin chaos is SHIT.gif
2 MB, 329x319
>>46169866
You know what must be done
>>
Oloro or Grand Arbiter for control deck? I know the latter can make life tough but the former allows access to black and all its wonderful tutors and removal. Value from an unplayed card is nice too.
>>
File: NO.jpg (121 KB, 620x453) Image search: [Google]
NO.jpg
121 KB, 620x453
why did no one tell me olivia had a dick earlier
>>
>>46170006
Banding First Strike
>>
>>46171188
Both will make you a faggot, but you'll probably enjoy sucking Oloro's cock more.
>>
>>46171230
Things I learned from m/tg/ in chronological order
>my deck isn't bad, I am
>X card isn't too good/or shit, but I am for not knowing how to interact with it, i.e. Mishra, or Norin the Wary
>I'm too poor to rightfully belong to this hobby
>someone named Mark Rosewater is a worthless kike
>That vampire has a giant futa dick
>>
>>46171188
Sydiri would be more fun than either, lets you get rid of artifacts with stuff like wrath of god and whatever else removal you put in, lets you use mana rocks to heal when the board is open.
>>
>>46171230
Ah, my very first commander. Still, to this day, my favourite.
>>
>>46170845
Once you name a tribe that isn't elves or goblins, you know your deck isn't going to keep up with an arms race. I'd suggest changing your commander to Mono-Black Sidisi so your commander can always tutor for an answer. One tricky thing about mono-black is that you have literally no means to kill enchantments. you can, however, make people sacrifice things with cards like Death Cloud, Pox, Smallpox, Smokestack (the only real enchantment answer of the 4), while getting your Gravecrawler or zombies with undying back.
>>
File: 1422856570045.jpg (17 KB, 170x236) Image search: [Google]
1422856570045.jpg
17 KB, 170x236
Just finished up my first draft at a "budget" Helmsmasher deck. Tell me what you think /edhg/ mostly curious about the amount of basic lands I should be using, other than that I feel fairly confident in it for a first attempt.
>>
>>46172743
looks like shit desu~
>>
>>46172743
oh god I'm the worst, here's the link

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gotta-go-smash/
>>
>>46172743
argentium armor might have a decent spot in there.
>>
File: ashling-the-pilgrim.jpg (88 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
ashling-the-pilgrim.jpg
88 KB, 480x680
What are some cards like Ashling that let me "store" my mana for effects later?

Workin on a janky ass R U G deck with braids of fire and omnath and other weird ass floating mana shits.
>>
>>46171188
>Oloro and Grand Arbiter
Haven't seen those before you unoriginal fuck
>>
>>46172908
Kruphix
OG Omnanth
>>
>>46172979
Ye, I got those two in there already.
>>46172908
This is what I have in there right now in the very first stage of deckbuilding so I might remove some of it, hell I'm not even sure about the commander.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-03-16-surrak-dragonclaw/
>>
>>46172908
>http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-03-16-surrak-dragonclaw/
Doubling Cube
>>
Quick!

What are the top 5 underplayed commanders that are still pretty strong?
>>
Does anyone know a good vendor for some fakes? I just want a few of the more expensive cards I need for my cube, plus maybe a crucible of world's for a singular EDH deck.
>>
File: 206[1].jpg (63 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
206[1].jpg
63 KB, 312x445
>>46172908
In terms of classic straight-up mana storage, there's Gemstone Array. 2:1 colorfixing and mana storage. There's also a whole ton of shitty slow versions, like
Red/Blue/Green Mana Battery
Kyren Toy (doubles as a 3-mana colorless rock)
Storage Lands (there's like three cycles of them)

My personal favorite for delayed effects is Ice Cauldron, if only because its an absolute rules clusterfuck that will take about fifteen minutes to explain to your play group.
>>
>>46173375
so uh it's just getting your card out of your hand for a turn and casting it the next turn for free?
>>
>>46164677
the 1wu enchantment that summons a 4/4 angel if enchanted creature attacks
>>
>>46170006

you can make a white blue control deck that doesnt have any tokens, angels, lifegain, voltron, or even pillowfort

but thats not very unexpected

idk what you think counts as "unexpected", i dont think i would describe any commander in all of magic as "unexpected"
>>
>>46173583
It lets you pay for a card in two installments, not for free.

Consider it's turn 6, and I untapped with Ice Cauldron. I have Blightsteel Colossus in hand.
I tap Ice Cauldron and pay 6, exiling Blightsteel with Ice Cauldron, putting a charge counter, and noting GGGRRR.

Next turn, I tap Ice Cauldron and remove an ice counter, adding GGGRRR. I can only use this mana on Blightsteel, but I tap the rest of my land and cast a turn 7 Blightsteel despite having only six mana open on any given turn.
>>
>>46173583
I started typing a post explaining how it's actually a bit more complicated than that but figured it really isn't worth it. We don't have to answer any questions about Ice Cauldron because you're not going to play against it and if someone really drops it at your table, you can get up and slap them because they were probably trying to pull some rules lawyering bullshit and/or wasting everyone's time.
>>
>>46164759
You need to kill yourself at this point.
>>
>>46174762

I like how everybody always assumes the craterhoof meme means craterhoof is broken

If you just took things for what they are instead of reading into them, they might not make you so angry, but you would miss the chance to feel superior to somebody for having the wrong opinion
>>
>>46164400
If you are running Mikaeus, the Unhallowed, you could also use a Triskelion for an easy win.
>>
>>46171188
Grand Arbiter, the ability is more relevant most of the time
>>
>>46170666
>>46170648
ty :)
>>
>>46168767

Just run Armageddon, Catastrophe, Decree of Annihilation, Jokulhaups, Cataclysm, Razia's Purification, Ravages of War (if you can afford it). Destructive Urge is fun too.

I have yet to see a deck dedicated to just Land Destruction, but plenty of lists that run it alongside their other spells.
>>
File: 20160318_184348.jpg (454 KB, 1404x1881) Image search: [Google]
20160318_184348.jpg
454 KB, 1404x1881
>>46164759
JUDGE
JUDGE
HE'S USING A BANNED CARD TO BULLY
>>
File: salt.jpg (34 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
salt.jpg
34 KB, 300x300
>>46175814
>this entire list
>>
>>46175814
>Unveil my Hokori Dust Drinker deck
>Stall every game by hours and hours
>>
>>46175953
The salt must flow

>Also, any card that grants an extra turn is exiled and cannot be retrieved nor cast for again by any player. Players may not take more than two turns in a row.

>Players will be broken down into groups of 4-6 players. Only on rare occasions (once or twice a year) do players participate in one-on-one games.

>No card or ability can be activated, nor can any spell be played, nor any ability triggered, more than three times in a turn before turn 8. After turn eight, it can be done up to four times. Players can’t take more than two consecutive turns.

>After the 12th turn of the table, there is no limitation. These rules exist to limit combos to a point and to keep Monday nights fun.

>Players are encouraged to relax and enjoy themselves. This is Magic at its most casual level. Everyone should focus on enjoying themselves. Everyone gets to play their cards as they choose. Sure there will be some table politics, but keep them to a minimum. You’re not playing for high stakes here.

>If a player wins a pod, they MAY NOT play that deck the following week.

http://thegamecloset.com/wp/events?entry=142
>>
>>46175994
>>Players are encouraged to relax and enjoy themselves.
How the hell can I do that when this autocracy is dictating that I can't even run my deck twice in a row?
>>
>>46170605
Build a cheap mono black combo deck based around sidisi and ad nauseum. Be a dick.

Then when they adjust go get some triskelion combo going. There is a deck on tappedout that is inexpensive and is FULL of combos sure to ruin friendships.
>>
>>46175994
>>46176017
>play a casual format
>complain about casuals ruining the game
>>
What mono white performs better in a casual setting:

Avacyn with Big Angels, artifacts, and angel tokens, or ...

Angels with little humans and tons of human / soldier / angel tokens
>>
>>46176044
It's just holding the fun hostage until things normalize or they murder you.
>>
Why is Protean Hulk banned? His ability seems innocent enough, and I don't believe its because of his combo, theres much more degenerate stuff out there.
>>
>>46174882
Are you new here? The craterfaggotry started with posts that just said "craterhoof should be banned". I'll admit that /tg/ gets butt blasted way too easily though.

Soon there will be a bait so obvious even tg will swim by. But it is not this bait.
>>
>>46176666
>/tg/ gets butt blasted way too easily though.

Whatever you say, Satan.

Seriously though, it's true.
>>
My meta is full of blue control decks that take around 30 minutes to play their turns. Last game I had was a 3 man free for all and the blue control deck actually took over 45 minutes to play their turn. What are some good white/black cards I can use for "call the spirits"? My friend got me into commander and I got it to start playing. I saw the 20$ upgrade for it but any of the cards they listed are not available to me at the moment. I especially like Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts. Every time I played her people had no answer to her (even the blue control deck could not deal with her).
>>
>>46176748
>Silence
>Have Silence in graveyard
>Have Eldrazi Displacer and Snapcaster on board
>>
>>46176777
Sorry im retarded, replace snappy with witness or anything else that returns stuff
>>
>>46176813
>>46176777
Thanks for the help. Witness is a green card though so I cant play it. Still, lots of cards on the black side of the deck to return stuff.
>>
>>46176841
Yup. im pretty sure there are repeated flicker effects that are cheaper to get than displacer too.
More hate cards:
Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
Leonin Arbiter
Spellskite
Ethersworn Canonist
Grand Abolisher
Tidehollow Sculler maybe
Aven Mindcensor
Mana Tithe
The blue prot swords
Cavern of Souls

You could also put in land destruction, like armageddon or a land destruction lock with crucible of worlds and wasteland/stripmine.
>>
>>46176940
Grand Abolisher is great. You have my thanks.
>>
>>46164795
>Grave Betrayal in Anafenza
I guess you don't want to play your commander.
Anyway, I think it would be usually better to just grave hate than reanimate in Ana, and it could be more effective as well.
>>
>>46175814
Daily reminder: Everyone complaining about MLD is scum. Everyone supporting banning it is scum. And I would buy Ravages just to spite these people.
[Spoiler]Or better yet, proxy it on top of armageddon[/spoiler]
>>
>>46177171
Youre right, totally forgot that. I think I have enough native hate in the deck but maybe youre right. I also maybe add some more persist creatures like twilight shepherd
>>
File: Reggie_shrug.png (312 KB, 425x320) Image search: [Google]
Reggie_shrug.png
312 KB, 425x320
>my super tryhard $3.000 Ghave Goodstuff/Combo deck hasn't won once
>my silly $200 Experiment Kraj deck has won every single game I played it in
>>
>>46177396
If you're not winning with a $3,000 deck then then you don't understand how to play magic. With the power level that amount of money has access to you should be ramping and comboing out extremely early. There is a direct correlation between price, power level, and amount of broken a deck is. I know there are diminishing returns over a certain price point, but seriously you should have accidently won with that much cash in a deck.
>>
>>46177396
git gud
>>
>>46177289
Don't get me wrong, some animation is good, but not that with Ana. How do you play, and how fast do you play your commander usually? Because after that, reanination isn't viable, unless it's your grave. When it comes to betrayal though, I think it's too expensive and doesn't really do anything. You're better off with something like It That Betrays, if you're not afraid of Bribery.
>>
>>46177580
Well, im putting the deck together currently, its all brainstorming atm. Before that I had a really bad anafenza version with mostly theros/khans standard stuff and normally played her on turn 3 or 4.
I agree reanimation from the enemy grave isnt viable, I just forgot that. All of the reanimate spells I play are for my own yard.
It that Betrays is a good card, my problem with it is that its has zero protection nor an immediate impact which makes it imo bad for reanimation
>>
>>46177460
To be fair, if card is there just for the price, the deck wouldn't work as well as some cheaper counterparts. I have a Ghave with little under 700 dollarydoo tag, but it does extremely well. Synergy is usually better than just good cards slapped together without thought.
Then again, that guy just probably is awful and can't pilot the godforsaken deck. Or that, the people who play against it play bad matchups. Like my Ghave could lose to intense grave hate.
>>
>>46173666
Yeah, the new card seems obvious. But I was thinking about this even before the new spoilers.

>>46164677
Any other ideas? Please? You guys surely are creative. Reconnaissance seems to make sense. Similar effects?
>>
>>46177646
Well I imagine if hes able to navigate the internet to 4chan of all places, and specifically /tg/, AND he has the money to pay for 99 cards that total over $2999.99, then he must have some idea of how to put a deck together. So I don't think the cards are just there because they are expensive. Then again /tg/ is terrible at magic, so yeah hes probably just shit. I bet his friends hate him too.
>>
>>46177610
That's true. Really, only reason to get it out would be if you could make opponents sac stuff immediately.
Then again I'm not fan of big spells though, unless they do something right away or havee protection, highest CMC in my Abzan is 7, for Boonweaver Giant, but at least every time I've resolved it, I have won right away.
Do you have a list? I'd like to take a look.
>>
>>46176748
>the blue control deck actually took over 45 minutes to play their turn.

Yeah right. Either you became so upset that you failed to properly perceive the passing of time or you're so submissive that you would actually sit silently for almost an hour instead of just walking away like a functional human being.

What kind of person would even allow their time to be wasted like that?
>>
>>46177728
sure
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/05-03-16-anafenza-the-foremost/
>>
>>46177773
You don't understand. I did walk away. I told the man to give me a shout when he was done with his turn. I went out and came back 45 minutes later, he was still playing his turn.
>>
I need jank in naya
Preferably creature-based
Preferably not only-artifact jank
But i'll take anything
Bonus points for hilarious and unexpected
>>
>>46175814
>all that MLD banning
Fuck this place
>>
>>46177396
>most expensive deck is like $250
>capable of beating the shit out of $1000-$2000 decks
Feels good man
>>
>>46179024
>tfw have a $35 Grenzo deck that easily beats extremely expensive decks outside of my group's meta

the people i usually play with have added some hate for it though, so there's that.

Unrelated: this Ghave player in my group started running mana tithe just to fuck with the people who play their commander as soon as they can afford it, and it's hilarious watching the khaalia player get his khaalia countered turn 3-4 every other game and end up losing almost entirely because of that.
>>
>>46170670
>the change to the off-color mana rules do make it better.
What change?
>>
>>46179674
Previously, if you generated mana not in your general's color identity, it became colorless. This is no longer the case.

With the rise of Colorless/Anus casting costs, they changed the rule so that you could use, say, Birds of Paradise to generate white in a RG deck and cast Thought-Knot Seer with it.
>>
File: westvalecultleader.jpg (41 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
westvalecultleader.jpg
41 KB, 265x370
Can this card be used in my Selvala/Selesnya deck?
>>
Went through and did some revisions to this, I've posted it before a few months ago. Did some recommended modifications, I still haven't actually played it yet. How does it look?

Currently worried that its too artifact and creature heavy.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kaseto-snake-tribal-edh-1/

Any feedback would be appreciated.
>>
>>46179858
It's color identity is Mono-W, even if it makes an off-color token. Color words, like "black" or "white" don't influence color identity.
>>
>>46179858
You can put in any green or white card you want, anon. You don't need to ask for permission.
>>
>>46179858
What's the front face?
>>
>>46164894
He's currently set to be banned once they update the banlist to allow SOI cards.
>>
>>46179958
2/2 for 2 that transform if you have 4 or more creatures.
>>
I can help but feel like we've seen just about every rare from SoI. Did we really only get 3 legends? I mean sure, I am majorly satisfied with new Olivia, but more options too would have been nice. We have to be due for more, right?
>>
>>46179858
Probably. I like that even though it's mercurial, the token is a guarantee, and one that obviously fits perfectly for the own card and any deck that wants it. It's not like the sole single best card I've ever seen but it could totally go in like trostani or something. It does more than just act as a huge body when you're already winning. Not much more, but more.
>>
File: 1435109475561.jpg (19 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1435109475561.jpg
19 KB, 300x300
>tfw all the angels spoiled so far kind of suck
>>
>>46180143
As a fan of angels, haven't they always sucked more often than not?
>>
File: goldnightcastigator.jpg (48 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
goldnightcastigator.jpg
48 KB, 265x370
>>46180161
There's a ton of powerful angels, bro. Sure, a lot suck, but that can be said for any creature type.

But like this mythic they just spoiled. What the fuck?
>>
>>46177396

How does a deck get that expensive? Hell, how can someone break $500? My most expensive deck is only around $300.

I hope it's people with old cards from the dawn of Magic rather than people spending more on a single card than most do on a deck.
>>
>>46180184
Right? Oh my god I fucking hate it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that thing is vomit.
>>
>>46180184
>Doesn't want a 4/4.5 that will get you royally fucked up by the lightest scratch
>>
>>46180193
There are people out there who just NEED to have the OG duals in their decks.
>>
File: 1449249565411.jpg (21 KB, 372x260) Image search: [Google]
1449249565411.jpg
21 KB, 372x260
So yeah, that's a thing now, no green mythic?
>>
>>46169866
exclusion ritual?
>>
>>46180336
You got a whole bunch of of draw from Investigate this set, get outta here
>>
File: 1457818461006.jpg (23 KB, 600x383) Image search: [Google]
1457818461006.jpg
23 KB, 600x383
>>46180559
Gee, thanks Wizards. But my inner Timmy isn't satisfied, give me fat trampler and we have a deal.
>>
>>46180184
Red got lots of nice toys spoiled so far, like a 2/1 for R with upside, Reverse-Bob, and reprints of Lightning Axe and Fiery Temper. Not EDH material, but Red got good commons and rares so far.
>>
>>46180608
I wish that werewolf you mentioned was EDH playable, the flavor is hysterical, and I love how frustrating she is to block. Coolest wolf, but too small for EDH.
>>
>>46180559
Investigate seems like a solid mechanic for all colors in limited, but outside of that I only see it being useful for blue and black. When are you intentionally going off ramp with green just to leave up 2 mana to find a clue?
>>
File: Image (1).jpg (31 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image (1).jpg
31 KB, 223x310
>playing Anafenza, Oloro, Child of Alara with my jund beater deck
>drop this
>got all basics, other guys lose half, almost all and all of their lands respectively

I'm not sure if it was fair to use it against 5 colour? I'd assumed it was a pretty competitive table due to the other generals there, but he was real salty about it
>>
>>46181143
Nonbasic hate is the price you pay for greedy manabases in three- or five-color decks. Of course, building around a basic manabase means that you're either restricted in color (MonoR, MonoU) or your colors are less reliable (In two- or three-color).
>>
>>46181301
Don't you love the simplicity of mono though? Maybe not every deck I build ever, but I definitely prefer it usually. Monogreen or monowhite especially. Even if white can't draw anything.
>>
>>46181143
People hate land destruction because people don't build decks that can cope with land destruction because people hate land destruction becuase...

Nothing wrong with land destruction in a competitive scene. Don't do it with people you want to get more games with, though.
>>
Is anybody else going to the SOI prerelease?
>>
>>46181663
Building mono decks can be great because of that simplicity, I agree. I run monored Feldon reanimator, which is usually durdly as fuck, but it's great to be pulling back Bogardan Hellkites and Firemaw Kavus and whatnot when it does work. But it also runs non-basic hate and land destruction, because nothing gets people more worked up than recurring Avalanche Riders or Keldon Firebombers. Guess who's ability works perfectly well with only three lands?
>>
>>46181143
>>46181143
>he was real salty about it
Good, fuck 'em, if you're running all 5 colors you should at least have a counter in hand
>>
I'm changing my French commander geist of Saint traft into a Merieke deck.

What are some cheap cards I can add, mainly stealing effects. Any tips in general?
>>
>>46164677
Try sundial of the Infinite
>>
>>46175814
So other than Iona Which I have personal beef with seems like a bunch of people who want to jack off in a corner for 4 hours.

And to them I raise my Phelddagrif deck with mindslaver combo and forced fruition to kill off the pillow forters who are doing a better job then I am.
>>
>>46175814

>reliquary tower

>>
>>46176666

Right I actually recall the "craterhoof should be banned" guy in every thread

What happened was

I won a game with craterhoof in which I got to swing for an absurd amount of overkill damage

So I posted a picture of him with yellow text

>I swing for 700 damage
>response?

I was just celebrating a funny win, not claiming craterhoof was broken, but everybody threw a shitstorm cuz they thought I was the "craterhoof should be banned" guy

The craterhoof should be banned guy even replied to my post with "that feel when your meme catches on"

And now he's taken up the craterhoof image with yellow text meme, which I never intended to be about craterhoof being broken, I just thought it was a funny game
>>
>>46179248
List? I have a friend with a budget Grenzo (was supposed to be for teaching his GF to play with, but he plays it more often) that I could pass some tech onto.
>>
>>46177695
Damn. No one.

I guess these threads are mostly a competitive crowd.
>>
New Olivia is awesome. It has a lot of applications, and all for three mana.
>>
>>46182518
You want untapping effects (Fatestitcher, Pemmin's Aura, Freed from the Real, Unbender Tine, Aphetto Alchemist) to steal multiple things at once.

You can also use effects that grant Indestructible to keep things permanently, as Merieke Ri Berit never gives them back, just attempts to destroy them when she untaps. Consider stuff like Darksteel Plate, Spirit Bonds, and Deathless Angel.

Otherwise, consider sacrifice outlets and other stupid things to do with other people's creatures. I'm fond of the sacrifice lands like City of Shadows just as an additional uncounterable, exiling, fuck-you-outlet.

Oh, some suggestions for stealing effects.
Willbreaker turns your untappers into stealers.
Domineering Will is an incredibly versatile spell that can untap your own creatures, steal other peoples creatures, and play politics all at once.
>>
>>46175814
Why the fuck is Reliquary Tower banned?
>>
>>46183109
Having 3 cards in hand while the mean ol' blue player had 15 gave someone a case of the feelbads one too many times, I imagine.
>>
>>46183191
>topdecking Reforge the Soul against said blue player while he's tapped out with no free counters

It's a magical Christmasland scenario, I know, but I can dream
>>
File: 162.jpg (66 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
162.jpg
66 KB, 312x445
My group is all fairly new, and I'm trying to teach them that having cards in hand is a much more important facet of games than they give it credit for. How's this card as a method to get that through to them?
>>
>>46183574
Just keep wiping their board when they are in top deck mode. A few hours of being in top deck mode will teach them the important of card advantage right quick.

Or they will stop being friends with you.

Howling Mine effects do the opposite, as they won't end up needing card draw to keep playing stuff, so they will continue running no draw effects.
>>
>>46183574

>'holy heart'
>center of the sea

Wizards you sly dogs you
>>
>>46183574
How hard is it to understand that more cards = more options?
>>
>>46183794
I don't get it
>>
File: Howlpack-Resurgence-216x302.png (108 KB, 216x302) Image search: [Google]
Howlpack-Resurgence-216x302.png
108 KB, 216x302
all we need is a legendary werewolf.
>>
>>46183353
>has actually happened to me
>I was the blue player
>even I thought it was pretty funny
>>
>>46183836
>>46183794
Would probably render it as Mikokoro / みこころ / 神心 / "Spirit Heart" or something like that. The first character ("Mi") is Soul/Spirit/Divine Spirit, the second character ("Kokoro") is heart/mind/feelings, typically more for the emotional side of things, as in "He has a lot of heart" or "We had a heart to heart talk", not necessarily the "core" or "essence" of something. That'd be 中心 (chuushin) or something more dramatic like 核心 (kakushin).

But I'm just a weeb and not a Japanese expert or anything.
>>
>>46184011
>implying we're ever getting a legendary werewolf
>or bear
>or wurm
>or spider
>or wolf
>>
File: 1402088521660.gif (297 KB, 420x315) Image search: [Google]
1402088521660.gif
297 KB, 420x315
>>46175814
>>
File: 1448295795375.jpg (121 KB, 599x880) Image search: [Google]
1448295795375.jpg
121 KB, 599x880
>>46180193

My average deck is over a grand

>tfw lots of old cards from long ago
>tfw RtR babies judge me for having good cards
>>
>>46175814

Oh good, I'll just have to use my Liliana deck to strip all your hands away while I slowly build into my Emblem.

I love using it against infinite combo babies because I have 0 infinite combos. Let them whine about my Liliana's Spectre.
>>
>>46184548

The price of a deck inflates exponentially past a certain point because the cost of the deck is more about the cost of the top end cards rather than the median cost, so to speak

Adding 3 duals for your tricolor deck increases the price as much as $500
>>
>>46184735

Yeah, I think if I took the most expensive 4-5 cards out of a lot of my decks it would at least halve the price. Stuff like Cradle and the blue duals are just insane these days.
>>
>>46183831

I'll tell you that when I was a noob, I respected that drawing cards was strong, but i underrated it compared to having a strong board state
>>
Is Zur still that detested? I want to make a good enchantress deck, but I'm torn between him and Sigarda
>>
>>46180184
What the fuck? This card is nutsack. Why would you use this when you could go RW and use Gisela?
>>
>>46184915
Zur and oldSegarda are generally considered high tier Commanders.
>>
Just moved to ky, not sure what the meta here is but I've been playing a b/g enchantments matter deck using pharika as the general and it's pretty sweet
>>
>>46184915

>enchantress
>without green

Zur isn't enchantress, he's just amazing
>>
>>46183574
Best way to teach them is to play Edric's flying men. If they're too enamored with their huge fatties and splashy spells to consider the importance of card advantage, get them in a Forbid lock and beat down with 1/1 creatures. They'll learn. Plus, the deck costs about 20$ with shipping.
>>
>>46185038
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ride-the-sky-and-carry-heavy-sticks/

shit tier sigarda time?

shit tier sigarda time
>>
>>46183574
Armaggedon them, and then draw a bunch of cards. Watch how you recover through consecutive land drops, they'll start making the connection of more consistent land drops come with more draw and encourage that, then they'll figure out the rest themselves. I was naturally attracted to blue only for more consistent land drops from draw and nothing else.
>>
>>46164332
>Combos are BAD! You just want to win at all costs!
>Oh, more than three creatures on the board? Time for a wipe i'd say.
>One shotting with commander damage is so unfair! Anyway, swinging on you for 60. GG?
>Politics is a perfectly healthy part of the game unless I'm the one getting hated on
>A control deck is supposed to have a win condition???
>God forbid this game just end already...
>Not my fault I'm the only doing anything/trying to win

My group in a nutshell. We've got some casuals if you couldn't tell.
>>
>>46183574
You can't force it onto them. They have to encounter it for themselves. Giving them free draw will just strenghten their desire to play all the cards. Just load your decks with removal, and take their stuff out. Enough top decking with no board state will get through to them eventually. It's just how it is, we all learned it, and they will too.
>>
>>46181143
That's not even MLD. Against a mono color deck it's shit. They really shouldn't complain about you using situational land destruction. It's clearly more valuable in a competitive scene anyways, in which case MLD is actually good.

I run i think 4 basic W/U and 7 basic R/B/G lands in my Scion deck for reasons like that. And honestly I've never felt like I was suffering from lack of fixing unless I was mana screwed anyways. Don't know why people are obsessed with non basics.
>>
>>46185888
desu fampai, I only do play my combo deck to win prize support or when I really need an ego boost
>>
>>46185888
Yeah who'd thought ending a game was a bad thing?
Sounds easy to exploit
>>
>>46185888
Honestly, the way /tg/ and other EDH resources tell me to play EDH, no non-land permanent should stick for more than a turn cycle, and if they do, I'm simply not running enough answers and wipes.
>>
>>46185888

Combos arn't bad, but certain ones are just lame. Oh whats that you sanguine bond and exquisite blood for the win? Great, nice work tutoring with Sidisi. That shows a ton of skill.

I like being killed by something more.
>>
>>46186166
Hey man. I put some effort in my combos. Don't knock Axebane Guardian
>>
>>46185482
Newer players probably don't realize how important it is to hit all your land drops, even in very long games, in a format like EDH. MLD is a good way to teach them that.

Anyone remembers the anon who argued that Land Tax was shit?
>>
Looking to build noyan dar. Is he any fun?
>>
>>46186724
Very. Although your opponent may not enjoy playing against UW control.
>>
>>46185888
That sounds like literally every playgroup.

I am guilty of a fair share of these.
>>
>>46185888
This one I can sort of agree with, depending on what the creatures are. I've used wraths as spot removal before. There's nothing but a birds of paradise and a Prophet of Kruphix on board? You bet your ass I'd cast Supreme Verdict.
>>
>>46177396
How are you this bad at playing Ghave? You can pick three random cards in his colours and have a reasonable chance at falling over an infinite combo with him.
>>
>>46185949
>>46181143
I have a five color casual deck. I really should run more basics, but it is hard to without running more green ramp and my autism is such that I want the colors to be evenly spread through the deck.

More basics doesn't necessarily mean more competitive, Ruination hits trilands and guildgates, but doesn't do shit to the guys running ten fetches.

But no one cares about us salty casuals. Do what you want, I'll be pissy and get over it.

Though, if I upped my count to 10 basics, I'd probably not be mana screwed either. My deck isn't super color dependant, it just has lots of gold cards. I don't run shit like Guile with UUU.
>>
>>46180184
Red only gets big stupid beatsticks as mythics any more
>>
>>46186724
I built Lands-matter Noyan Darr. It is fun as fuck.
>>
>>46186352
I ran a shitty Axebane Guardian/Galvanic Alchemist deck back in INN-RTR standard and it was so fun.
>>
>>46175994
Waco tc
Hour drive from where i live
Kinda want to bring some of my friends to get kicked
>>
>>46187044

>4 power haste flyer
>big
>>
>>46187273
Well, her ass is fat.
>>
>>46180184

This card is truly atrocious

I'm not sure it would even be strong if it was a 9/9 lol, still dies to roast

Why did they give it 9 toughness when they could have just not had that last ability?

Then it would just be a shitty card instead of a mind shatteringly ducking stupid card
>>
>>46187358
>Flying
>dies to roast
good one mate, almost continued reading
>>
File: chronatog.jpg (26 KB, 270x240) Image search: [Google]
chronatog.jpg
26 KB, 270x240
>>46187358
>still dies to Roast
Really?
>>
>>46180184
Well, in a Zedruu deck I guess? Could be fun
>>
>>46187358

I'm pondering how you'd use it but as best as I can tell, there isn't any modern damage redirection that you could just shove on it. Which really feels like what it's designed for.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.