[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I think it looks better this way.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 12
File: fixed.png (364 KB, 925x1236) Image search: [Google]
fixed.png
364 KB, 925x1236
I think it looks better this way.
>>
File: 1458142789995.png (697 KB, 922x1194) Image search: [Google]
1458142789995.png
697 KB, 922x1194
>>46161297
Preach it
>>
>>46161373
I remember there was an even more concise one, with like six words total. That strip had literally no purpose other than a shitty setup to a lame joke.
>>
>>46161373
The fuck is that last panel supposed to be?
I know it's a goldem, but why?
>>
>>46161409
There's a lame joke that they use the periodic table for their elements. Offering gold coins to a gold elemental is like offering to pay for your beer with a human kidney.
And the fact that it needs explaining should indicate that it's not a very good joke and you weren't missing anything.
>>
>>46161514
Especially the fact that you explained it well, and it still makes no sense.
It's a hell of a non-sequitur.
>>
File: leaner.png (622 KB, 912x1080) Image search: [Google]
leaner.png
622 KB, 912x1080
>>46161403
I have this one too
>>
What I don't get about you autistic sperg-fucks is that you get mad that a comic you read, voluntarily on your own time, takes too long to read because there's words on it.
>>
>>46161297
>haley complains they're running low on funds from paying the crew
>this is actually a conflict now

I told you guys he'd bring it up later.
>>
>>46161665
We're not mad anon, it's just fun to see how much you can trim away and keep the comic cohesive.
As they say, brevity is the soul of wit.
>>
>>46161665
Also note that they don't have enough time to read through it but conveniently have enough time to edit the strip, make a thread about it, and monitor responses.
>>
>>46161297
Awfully convenient V can't teleport, amirite?
>>
>>46161665
Comics are primarily a visual medium. Have you heard the saying "a picture says a thousand words"? When you feel the need to pile a thousand more actual words on top of that, something is wrong, either with your writing or your art.

Show. Don't tell.
>>
>>46161743
His banned schools are necromancy and conjuration. I remember a strip a long time ago where they bring this up, and he mentions how in 3.0 teleporting wasn't conjuration so it seemed like a good idea at the time.
>>
>>46161745
Yes, and this strip is currently SHOWING a conversation. "Show, don't tell" means don't have important shit offscreen you fucktard.
>>
>>46161672
Except the "conflict" is almost immediately resolved, both by dipping into Durkon's resurrection fund and by Roy pointing out that all they have to do is kill some shit to get the cash back. So it's another page where nothing happens except another lame gag in the last panel.
>>
>>46161837
Just because the telling happens in visual text bubbles doesn't mean it counts as showing, anon.
>>
>>46161665

The edits are clearly more of an intellectual exercise at this point.

Besides, is being free a way to make something immune to critique?
>>
>>46161837
A conversation which has no bearing on the plot or advances the characters in any way or is of any sort of importance at all except to set up a cheap gag on the last panel.
>>
>>46161665
I just think it's funny how much the dialogue can be reduced.

It's pretty much a meme at this point, nobody is actually mad.
>>
>>46161845
>have to choose between paying crew and rezzing durkon
>or maybe we'll get lucky and earn it back?

That's not resolution. It's establishing the stakes by detailing might happen if they don't have cash for both durkon's rez and the crew's wages.
>>
>>46161297
>ME NO LIEK READ
>LETTERS STUPID

Thanks for clarification, OP.
>>
>>46161958
>have to choose between paying crew and rezzing durkon

Roy even says that there's not really a choice. It's either his buddy comes back to life or, if I'm interpreting this correctly, the world gets destroyed.
The stakes have already been established a while ago, and this page doesn't affect them at all. It doesn't need to exist, it's just more word count for no reason.
>>
>>46162078
Unnecessary letters. The entire strip could have been reduced to two panels and nothing would have been lost.
>>
>>46162078
there is a difference between flowery language and waffling.
>>
>>46161745
>Comics are primarily a visual medium
This is not correct. Comics are a compromise between a visual and an oral medium. That said, OotS does sometimes lean too far towards the latter than the former, and many of the edits I see here on /tg/ actually do improve on the final product.
>>
>>46162130
This thread could have been reduced to one word and yet we're all here.
>>46162205
And still i see the same complaints each time a new webcomic page arrives with more than two words. It's getting stupid.
>>
>>46161553
The joke is set up by them saying "When everyone's dead, we won't need any of the gold we've earned adventuring anyway" followed by "Actually, gold is accepted as currency on almost all planes of existence". As D&D afterlives are planes you can visit, this implies money would indeed still be useful even after the gods unmake the would.

The last panel is showing one of the few planes that WOULDN'T accept gold coins (i.e. the exception implied by use of the words "ALMOST all"), for humorous effect.

It's not, in fact, a nonsequitor - it's following up on something implied in an earlier panel.
>>
>>46162389
Careful, someone will try to edit your post next.
>>
File: fuck all yall.png (8 KB, 1847x163) Image search: [Google]
fuck all yall.png
8 KB, 1847x163
>>46162418
Done.
>>
>>46161584
that penis though
>>
>>46162591
Acceptable.
>>
File: Untitled.png (228 KB, 902x649) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
228 KB, 902x649
Most OotS comics can be reduced to a traditional 4-panel joke strip
>>
>>46162800
Or in this case, an incomprehensible mess
>>
>>46162815
They start out that way before you edit them too, by virtue of their author
>>
Serious edit.
>>
>>46162842
You have to admit, that's pretty shitty. You could have at least not cropped out the text you kept.
>>
>>46162865
Good work
>>
>>46161297
I spent over 9000 hours in MSPaint to make almost this exact same comic, came here to /tg/ to post it, and found this.

/tg/ hivemind.
>>
File: thog life chose me.jpg (326 KB, 932x1194) Image search: [Google]
thog life chose me.jpg
326 KB, 932x1194
Not really seeing a way to shorten the last bubble while maintaining a punchline.
>>
>>46163802
>common sense says save the world then Durkon
Preach it
>>
>>46162087
It does show however, how Roy has changed his mentality regarding Durkon.
>>
>>46164273
That was also shown in an earlier page. Well, more spouted off in the endless dialogue, but still.
>>
>>46164402
Right, but now we know how Roy has taken Durkon's condition with a cold head, and most importantly, how he is being pragmatic instead of carrying the Idiot Ball.
>>
>>46161665
Shut the fuck up Burlew. I stopped reading your gay comic when you started fagging it up in the name of diversity. Low hanging fruit there you cripple-thumbed deadbeat, as long as you're jumping on bandwagons, how about an orc lives matter strip? I remember when Order of the Stick had a villain, what was that, five hundred pages ago? Seriously, stop wasting time pandering to tumblr kids and finish the fucking story.
>>
>>46164612
>>>/v/
>>
>>46162637
fuck thank you anon
i had not noticed
>>
>>46163802
>punchline
its called pointe you filthy nigger
>>
File: 1424713379361.jpg (165 KB, 610x556) Image search: [Google]
1424713379361.jpg
165 KB, 610x556
I only read the first twenty or so strips before I lost interest. Can someone fill me in on if/why OotS is bad aside from being wordy?
>>
>>46164915
It's not bad per se. Not by webcomics standards at least. It's just that there's couple people (or one very persistent troll) bringing it up every time there's an update and there's couple other people who get fed up with that.

It's almost as if we can't enjoy things in moderation or ignore the quietly and is we had to polarize on any given topic and either preach it zealously or hate it with passion.
>>
>>46165065
addendum: I didn't have stroke typing that, just coffee jitters
>>
>>46164915
OotS isn't bad, it's just that it wants to be a fanfic more than a comic given that the already-simple visuals are often forsaken for excessive wordiness

But the real reason you keep seeing threads is for two reasons:
>/tg/ actually reads it regularly
>removing words from the comic acquired meme status ages ago after someone said "the top words per minute a person can read is 10"
>>
>>46161297

You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>46161297
God how many words was it?
>>
have you guys considered going one step farther and editing out the unused speech bubbles?
>>
>>46165681
I dislike the argument that OoTS is excessively wordy.
It does have issues with pacing and filler, yes, but it's never really all that wordy. Just take a look at your average Comic Book, and you'll see way more dialogue than a typical OoTS comic. I'm not saying that comics can't be too wordy, but if you think OoTS actually has a problem with being wordy (which it has to be sometimes, thanks to the incredibly simplistic artstyle), I suggest you read a real comic some time.
>>
>>46165681
>the top words per minute a person can read is 10
kek
Don't suppose you've got a screencap or archive link?
>>
>>46162087

>It's either his buddy comes back to life or, if I'm interpreting this correctly, the world gets destroyed.

The stupid thing is that shouldn't even be a choice.

I brought this up last thread, but I really hate how Rich wrote a bunch of Chaotic Neutrals who only now, when things can't get any worse, decide it's time to either get paid or get out.

I can't stand that mindset. Once the Doomsday Clock is at a minute to midnight, any normal person would throw something as petty as "give payment, bitch" out the window. They'd either bug out or decide they're in too deep and stick around. The type of conflict Rich has created here is completely pointless and just makes all these sky pirates look like a bunch of complete assholes.

I mean, even if they just decided to up and leave they'd still be assholes. But at least then you could understand and even sympathize with that. Instead they strong-armed a bunch of cash out of our heroes by basically using the end of the world as leverage. And Roy is apparently A-OK with that.
>>
>>46171487
As they just said last strip, anon, maintaining the ship costs money.
And as the last strip pointed out, they could always just ditch that plane should things go south.
>>
>>46171554

The crew in the last strip didn't demand money to maintain the ship. The Order already paid for all the ship's repairs; Bandana even says that makes them square in her book.

The crew explicitly states they want to get paid.

I dunno, it just feels so shitty. If Roy didn't roll over like a dog when they tried to twist his arm behind his back, I'd probably feel better about it. A running theme was he has no patience for politicking and other such dicking around when the world is in trouble. I know he probably just wanted to get moving and didn't want to bog things down with an argument, but the way he handled it just made him look like a pushover. It would have been nice if he'd at least had an aside where he brings up its unbelievable people would choose now of all times to start demanding their paychecks.

These are the people he's risking everything to save. People who care more about 200 gold than whether or not they're going to be around tomorrow.
>>
File: OotS savin the world agin.png (122 KB, 441x263) Image search: [Google]
OotS savin the world agin.png
122 KB, 441x263
>>46171678
A few things

-OotS did not even bother explaining the situation to them.

-They are literally pirates. If anyone's going to try to make a buck when the world's at stake, it's a pirate. Even if the world were to end, they could theoretically flee to a different plane of existence, as they mentioned just last strip.

-The pirates dismissed the non-explanation as "just another apocalypse of the week", implying that this is quite common. As far as they can tell, the good guys will win and save the world no matter what they do, so they might as well try and get paid this time.

-Roy was not aware of OotS' finances. He probably doesn't even know how much they had. He seems to have assumed that the sum was pocket change compared to Haley's stash. Had he known the trouble it would have caused, he'd probably have gotten Haley to haggle them down.
>>
>>46161837

I don't think you know what that phrase means.
>>
>>46161745
>South Park faces and bodies
>Pitchfork hands
>2 bit "humor" in the majority of the series
Both the art and writing is the problem. Why does /tg/ like this comic again?
>>
>>46164915
It's not bad, though some can't handle the art, deliberate as it may be.

Words words words words words was literally started by an anon that admitted it took him minutes to read a single panel, out loud, as he did so.

The resulting meme has since run somewhat out of control.
>>
>>46171678
The issue is that Bandana doesn't speak for the entire crew. While she may be in charge, that does not keep the rest of the crew from getting upset about not-money-having. Mutiny is a common pirate cliche, in case you forgot.
>>
>>46172905
This. Seriously, I love how all these anons claiming everyone can't into words just ignores the people saying that they just find the abbreviated comics funny. Oh right, because that's not biting the bait, excuse me.
>>
>>46173172
I find some of them quite funny, myself.

The (majority of the) ones that just remove what they consider all 'extraneous' words without bothering to make it funny otherwise? Eh.
>>
File: vc1.jpg (149 KB, 500x404) Image search: [Google]
vc1.jpg
149 KB, 500x404
>>46161665
There's a reason comics of quality don't look and read like this, and it's not because people are too dumb to read this amount of text.
>>
>>46165065
>It's not bad per se
Eh, it lost steam after the first 100 strips or so, and not it takes an eternity for him to resolve relatively simple plotlines because they get bogged down by way too much exposition and too much room being given to characters that serve no purpose outside of their own personal storyline which often acts as a detour for our heroes from the main plot rather than helping advancing it.
>>
>>46173380
Yeah, I feel you. There's a real art to making a funny edit that isn't just dick jokes, or even to making an edit that IS just dick jokes but that's still actually funny. But a lot of them try to cut out as many words as possible to end up with the barest possible form of the comic that still preserves the narrative-- only they end up cutting out any nuance, any real characterization-- anything that makes the comic actually interesting to read. If I only wanted to know what happened in the most simple of terms, I could get that from my friend telling me about it. There's more to a story, to any story, than "and then this happened, and then THIS happened, and then this happened." Brevity may be the soul of wit, and writers like Hemingway or Hammet have certainly proven it, but that's the kind of thing you have to do from the ground up, to convey everything that needs conveying in sparse language-- you can't just cut down on language that is not already sparse without also cutting down on things that had previously been conveyed and now are not.

Really, the maxim of "show, don't tell", isn't about images vs. text, it's about characters and even the world itself demonstrating their states of being, rather than having the author declare them. A caption saying "These pirates are being really greedy here! - Ed." is telling. You know how characters show how they feel? By acting, sure, but also by fucking talking to each other.
>>
>>46173685
I feel ya.
>>
>>46161514
Wouldn't summoning/creating a plutonium or weapons grade uranium elemental/golem be op?

BOOM. 10 tons of U-235? That's way beyond critical mass, that'd vaporize a continent.
>>
>>46173875
That's getting hinky with the concept. They've already stretched it with Titanium and Salt elementals.
>>
>>46173875
>tfw summoning a cesium golem underwater
>>
>>46172218
>-The pirates dismissed the non-explanation as "just another apocalypse of the week", implying that this is quite common. As far as they can tell, the good guys will win and save the world no matter what they do, so they might as well try and get paid this time.
Well yeah, they live in a universe where heroes have always won, in the universes where the heroes lost everyone died.

It's like how we live in the universe where a nuclear war didn't happen, despite all the crazy stupid things that happened during the cold war like 19 attempted global launches, missiles launch codes set to 11111 for 30 years, over a hundred malfuctions in detection systems that nearly triggered a launch. We're in the lucky universe, there's infinity number of post apocalyptic alternate universe earths.
>>
>>46161665
the edits were originally to make fun of the one fucker in every thread who would complain about the size of the text bubbles, it's just a tradition now
>>
File: 1443050299151.jpg (202 KB, 1000x789) Image search: [Google]
1443050299151.jpg
202 KB, 1000x789
>>46173614
I actually like Subnormality's sphinx. She's an interesting character; it's just a shame that every comic by the author is so much wordswordswords. I don't mind reading, but damn...
Posting sphinx because sphinxes are underappreciated.
>>
>>46171487
They're probably Jews or cryptoJews (americunts)
>>
>>46173918
>It's like how we live in the universe where a nuclear war didn't happen, despite all the crazy stupid things that happened during the cold war like 19 attempted global launches, missiles launch codes set to 11111 for 30 years, over a hundred malfuctions in detection systems that nearly triggered a launch. We're in the lucky universe, there's infinity number of post apocalyptic alternate universe earths.

I don't have much time to explain it, but there's a lot of political theory explaining why an actual launch is unlikely. Among other things, No-one really thinks it's a great idea to use them, but having them around is an insurance against others encroaching on their core interests.
>>
File: 1442978686595.jpg (128 KB, 875x1000) Image search: [Google]
1442978686595.jpg
128 KB, 875x1000
>>46176543
Sphinxes are cute.

Did anyone else used to try coming up with riddles in their spare time?
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.