[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bloodhunt Quest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 3
File: winter forest - night.jpg (635 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
winter forest - night.jpg
635 KB, 1280x960
You wake up to the blow of the cold wind. Laying flat on your stomach with your face in the cold snow. You carefully scrap yourself up, and sweep the cold white substance from your chest. Your shirt is just a tattered piece of cloth barely covering your back and front, and your blue linen pants, misses it's sleeves from the knee down on your right leg. The thin cover snow emanates cold from under your bare feet. A rope dangles from your waist with an empty leather-bag and a sharp, weathered metal knife.

You look around and see the white-green of winter pine trees. The forest you are in seems to thicken to the east and thin on the north. At least you thik it's east and north, because the setting sun identifies them as those certain directions. As the sun sinks into the horizon you hear the cry of wild beasts in the distance.

As you hear it, you know the owners of the sounds are coming for you. A very powerful feeling sweeps over you. This feeling could be summarized in a simple sentence.

"They must not catch you"

You feel like they are coming from the east. What do you do?
>A) You go west, and try to maneuver between the trees
>B) You go north, hoping that the advantage of the open ground might help you
>C) You go east from where they come from
>D) You stay still and wait

Write-ins are always allowed even tough I might forget to list it in the choices. I mean what's the point of a Quest if you can't act off-script?
>>
>>46138065
>>C) You go east from where they come from
>>
Head towards the east.
>>
>>46138065
>>A) You go west, and try to maneuver between the trees
>>
>>46138252
>>46138293

You start to move towards the east where the sounds come from, where the trees grow closer to each other and your pursuers are presumably coming from. The howling and screeching gets more loud and audible. With every step your feet gets heavier, as you fight against your instincts that tell you to run. Regardless you press on until you are forced to stop.

A great chasm comes to view, the bottom of it is several hundred meters below you. You hear your pursuers close, awfully close, but still not in view.

>A) Climb on a tree
>B) Turn back
>C) Jump
>D Write-in
>>
>>46138424
>C) Jump
>>
Climb a tree for a better vantage point. If we can see what we're up against, we might be able to come up with a strategy.
>>
>>46138424
>>A) Climb on a tree
>>
Rolled 7 + 3 (1d10 + 3)

>>46138492
>>46138761
Give me a d20 and I roll for the pursuers in the meantime
>>
>>46138424
Begin to climb down the chasm
>>
Rolled 19 (1d20)

>>46138860
Lets hope we're good climbers
>>
Rolled 8 (1d20)

>>46138860
>>
>>46138879
Winnar!
>>
>>46138860
dice+1d20
This tree is going to climbed so hard
>>
>>46138989
dice 1d20
>>
Rolled 13 (1d20)

>>46138989
Put it in options
>>
Rolled 11 (1d20)

>>46139060
Thank you
>>
>>46138879
Result: 19, DC 10 succeeded. Advantage over pursuers =19-7+3=9

You grapple the trunk with both hands, and and hoist yourself up again and again in quick succession. Before you know it, you are almost at the top. The clod wind is blowing your rags, as you hug the branches, and pine-needles scratch your skin. The sun have almost completely disappeared behind the horizon. It will be dark really really soon, but it still shines with a little light.

To the east, beyond the chasm lies a great mountain almost completely covered with snow. You could reach it in a few days. To the north you see the sea, and floating icebergs on it, but between you and it there is some sort of tundra. To the south the line of trees seems to be unbroken and goes as far the eye can see. To the west there is a valley, with a river flowing lazily in it, and ending abruptly on the horizon. Probably in the form of a waterfall.

>A) Towards the ocean, and across the tundra
>B) Deeper in the forest where the beasts come from, maybe you can loose them among the trees.
>C) Go towards the river and the valley it's the closest
>D) Try to climb down on the smooth surface of the chasm

Also choose one
>X) Jump from tree to tree (Fast some danger involved)
>Y) Go on the ground (Safer a bit slower in the beginning)

Whew this is harder than I thought
>>
>>46139202
>>
>>46139202
>>
>>46139202
>B) Deeper in the forest where the beasts come from, maybe you can loose them among the trees.
>>
>>46139227
>>46139240
Alright show me your Tarzan with a d20!
>>
Rolled 6 (1d20)

>>46139273
>>
>>46139202
19-7+3 actually is 15
Order of Operations, scrub.
>>
Rolled 7 + 2 (1d10 + 2)

>>46139273
meanwhile the pursuers
>>
Rolled 3 (1d20)

Let's jump!
>>
Rolled 3 (1d20)

>>46139273
*Monkey noises*
>>
>>46139273
>>
>>46139307
Forgot those round brackets my bad. Meant 19-(7+3)

Writing now
>>
Rolled 16 (1d20)

>>46139273
>>
>>46139307
Unless it's BIDMAS which places addition first without brackets anyhoo
>>
>>46139394
I hate how that acronym makes people think division comes before multiplication, or addition comes before subtraction. Be smarter people.
>>
Rolled 1 (1d11)

>>46139293
>>46139308
>>46139312

Okay first, that's >>46139308 a -2 because you moved in 3D (up) and the sudden change of location hinders your pursuers in locating you making it 5.
>Advantage 8

Not wanting to waste any time you throw yourself onto the next tree, but you slip on the snowy surface and catch the next branch with your chest instead of your arms. It breaks with a loud snap, and you fall along with with, breaking a dozen lesser branches as you hit the ground. You are on your feet almost instantly breaking into a sprint, not caring about the numerous smaller cuts and bruises you picked up

>Your blood is in the air now. It's only a matter of time before they catch onto it's scent

>Give me a d20 for escaping better out of the two
>Meanwhile the result is the pursuer's preformance
>>
Rolled 15 (1d20)

>>46139545
>>
Rolled 14 (1d20)

>>46139545
>>
>>46139545
Been a while, lets see if it rolls
>>
Rolled 11 (1d20)

>>46139734
Aaand again
>>
>>46139584
>>46139654

You increase your speed and manage to keep it steady. You breathe in and out at a controlled pace, while moving around the obstacles, and finding the best path. You can feel the beasts lag behind you, not being so lucky in pathfinding, and having trouble to find your exact location.
You run like this for an hour, when the number of trees around you becomes less and less. With a breath of relief, you leave the forest behind.

You've reached the edge of the valley, and the ground goes down into a slope. There is little to no snow here, as the numerous rocks show their bald grey. The river is in the distance at the bottom of the slope.

>Hiding unavaible, they will smell you

>A) If it's not broken don't fix it; Continue among the rocks,
>B) Your Maugli must be better than your Tarzan, jump from rock to rock
>C) Try to go around the rocky patch altogether, it's quite large but you can keep the height advantage
>D) Write-in
>>
>>46139837
>B) Your Maugli must be better than your Tarzan, jump from rock to rock
>>
>>46139837
>>C) Try to go around the rocky patch altogether, it's quite large but you can keep the height advantage
Lets not risk getting injured more
>>
>>46139837
>>B) Your Maugli must be better than your Tarzan, jump from rock to rock
risky but lets go
>>
Rolled 3 + 1 (1d12 + 1)

>>46139873
>>46139913
Allright throm me a d20 like Shere Khan himself would be after you! best out of 2.
Meanwhile these bastards caught onto your scent

>Status of Prusuit: Advantage 22
>>
Rolled 10 (1d20)

>>46140004
>>
Rolled 14 (1d20)

>>46140004
>>
File: werewolf 1.jpg (157 KB, 1481x800) Image search: [Google]
werewolf 1.jpg
157 KB, 1481x800
>>46140013
>Advantage: 22+(14-3)=33
>Above 30: loss

You jump on and off the rocks. Not wanting to take too many risks, but if you are presented with the choice to go around or above an obstacle, you choose the latter. You make a good time and reach the river. It's icy water runs smoothly, casting white foam here and there.

As you crouch down to wash your face, you suddenly stop. On an instinct you dive behind a rock, and look back to the edge of the forest. For a minute nothing happens. Nature is eerily silent, no birds, no growling, now howling. Then, dark shapes leave the trees, and lumber into the open.

They are big, big that some bears could be jealous of them. They walk awkwardly on their hind-legs like they would be used to use all four. They are too bestial to be human. Their black fur makes them look like living shadows cut out of darkness, except for their claws, fangs and eyes. The ivory white, and razor-sharp appendages are much longer than a natural predator's would be.
>>
>>46140438

They are far behind you, at the top of the slope. You can see as the biggest one, probably a pack-leader of some sort is sweeping the valley with it's bloodshot eyes.
Then with a loud, terrifying howl he goes back to all four and the pack scatters to search. Some go back to the forest -the packleader is one of them- some go around he edge of the valley, some descend among the rocks.

>You managed to shake them down
>You are within their line of sight though sights
What do you do?

>A) Cross the river where you are, even if the see you they'll have to risk the river themselves
>B) Try to sneak around and find where the river is the most narrow
>C) Wash yourself in the icy water, and rub on some dirt so it would be harder for them to smell you
>D) Try to get up on the slope among the rocks, back into the forest where it's harder to see you
>E) Write-in
>>
>>46140540
>>B) Try to sneak around and find where the river is the most narrow
They probably are better simmers than us.
>>
>>46140540
Dunno, even if we managed to shake them down, we should not stay still.

Combine a few?
>Wash yourself in the icy water, and rub on some dirt so it would be harder for them to smell you
>And then cross the river here.
>Possible get a fist sized rock for throwing if one of them has got too close and tries to come over river after right away.
>>
>>46140860
*swimmers sorry
>>
>>46140860
>>46140914
You spend a little time washing away your sweat and and rubbing some mud all over you.

>Advantage: 30
>Pursuers lost the scent +1 bonus

A quick look around show that this is the narrowest part of the river within hiding distance, so you grab a small stone and start to cross trough the wild torrent of water
Choose crossing speed:

>Slow and safe -spend 6 advantage points DC10
>moderate but careful -spend 4 advantage DC14
>fast and probably unseen -spend 2 advantage DC 18
>>
>>46141303
>>moderate but careful -spend 4 advantage DC14
>>
>>46141303
>>fast and probably unseen -spend 2 advantage DC 18
A river crossing is a good way to lose scent. Combinen that with loss of sight, and they'll have very few things to work with.
>>
Rolled 1 (1d2)

>>46142515
oh well let the dice decide

1.moderate
2.fast and unseen
>>
Rolled 2 (1d20)

>>46142825

I roll this time, since I apparently have the newquestqm disease; can't tell if there are still people in the thread
>>
Rolled 17 (1d20)

>>46142875
>>
>>46142956
Well, fine by me.

You slide your foot trough the slimy riverbed, with not too much haste, but enough to reserve chances for crossing undetected. The water is cold like a witch's tit, but you grit your teeth and go in further, without a sound. You luckily get on the other side. It is completely dark now, and you don't seen any of the hunters around, but the lack of bestial sounds, and crippling fear shows that they probably aren't near. You turn around to leave hurriedly.

>A) Leave towards the other side of the valley. It's in the same direction you've been heading so far
>B) Follow the river downstream. It will eventually lead towards a bigger body of water
>C) Follow the river upstream, it will lead you to the spring, and probably lead you to somewhere higher.
>D) Other
>>
>>46143115
>>B) Follow the river downstream. It will eventually lead towards a bigger body of water
>>
>>46143115
>>B) Follow the river downstream. It will eventually lead towards a bigger body of water
Actually yeah, the river should logically get bigger downstream, and that body of water is always plus
>>
File: winter waterfall.jpg (98 KB, 736x613) Image search: [Google]
winter waterfall.jpg
98 KB, 736x613
>>46143198
>>46143310

>Advantage 26
>The cold is getting to you. Especially with you being wet
>-1 to rolls
>Equipment: tattered clothes, knife, rope around waist, empty leather pouch

You walk on the shores for an hour and a half, still no signs of the enemy. You finally get to to an end of some sort. The river comes crashing down into a rocky precipice. It must me the waterfall you have seen from the tree.

>A) Try to climb down
>B) Move away from the river into the less dense forest
>C) Try to find some shelter without moving far from the waterfall
>D) Other
>>
>>46143487
>>C) Try to find some shelter without moving far from the waterfall
It'd be a cruel irony to escape such ugly hunters only to die of exposure.
>>
>>46143510
throw me a d20!
>>
Rolled 16 (1d20)

>>46143510
>nat1 and we roll into same shelter with wolfs
>>
Rolled 18 (1d20)

>>46143588
>>46143659
>we try to start a fire and draw the threat back to us
>>
Rolled 10 (1d15)

>>46143659
>>46143510
>>46143728
You find a half fallen tree trunk in walking distance from the waterfall. There is no snow underneath it, leaving behind a dry patch of land. With a little work you could even make it a little wind proof. You could also risk a fire.

>A) Take it as it is (no extra Advantage loos besides the time it took to find it)
>B) Work on it a bit -2 advantage
>C) Lit fire -4 advantage plus the pursuers get a bonus
>D) Other

meanwhile rolling for search attempts
>>
>>46143797
>B
I think we can get away with a little bit of work.
>>
>>46143797
>B) Work on it a bit -2 advantage
Smoke is too big risk..we could take it if we knew they are coming anyway.
But for now, just rest and hide from wind.
>>
>>46143963
>>46143973
You use and extra hour to gather some branches and logs to "fortify" the tree trunk. In the end the howling wind doesn't go trough it.

>Advantage 22
>3 more hours till dawn

What next?
>A) clothes off, and stay there and weather trough
>B) go out and try to hunt something
>C) Wet clothes off go to hunting
>D) Other
>>
>>46144126
>A) clothes off, and stay there and weather trough
Lets enjoy our shelter a bit longer, we are probably not starving?
Everything is easier at day light anyway.
>>
>>46144390
>>46144126
seconded.
>>
>>46144390
>>46144456

You don't feel hungry or really thirsty, so you decide to huddle in your newfound shelter without the damp clothes. It will probably be warmer when the sun comes up and...

You abruptly stop your train of thought about cataloguing your situation.
"The sun will fix things", you suddenly remember. You don't know why exactly but you get the distinct feeling that the Hunters only hunt during the night, in the darkness. They aren't a threat during the day because.. because...

No matter how hard you strain, you can't seem to think of a reason. Or a memory for that matter. You start to think about how you got here. Nothing. Why were you lying in the middle of a forest during the winter in little to no clothing? Nothing. Why did you call those beasts "Hunters" just now? Nothing.

You know how to build a shelter, basic survival, lighting fire, hunting, setting traps. You have a skill set, but not personal recollection of your life.

As you ponder, the sun's warm light slowly rises from behind the waterfall, making the water glitter brilliantly. Then everything gets engulfed in unnaturally bright light.

End of thread
>>
>>46144767
Well thank you all for participating in my fledgling run. I didn't manage to introduce all the things I wanted but made some progress. I'll run next weekend probably around 19:00 GMT

here is a twitter: https://twitter.com/huntsmanqm

hopefully next time I'll can include a pasta with mechanics and character sheet. Luckily the mechanics worked well enough for me to continue with it.
>>
>>46144848
Thanks for running, it was interesting start for quest.
Was not sure of "advance" thing, atleast when we don't see hunters for hours, feels slightly meta knowledge for me.
>>
>>46144986
I see your point, I will try to keep it limited, maybe I'll abolish it together.

Basically, "Advantage" is a measurement of progress between the protagonist and the Pursuers. It represents distance, time, and the knowledge of location.At 0 you'll be caught.

If the players do actions that aren't somehow hiding/getting farther/deceiving the pursuers then it gets less and less. Such actions sometimes necessary because getting away isn't the only necessity of survival.

When the hunts started here is a headstart, hence why the Pursuers rolled 1d10 and the escapee with a d20. The difference is the basic advantage, gain and loss. Some actions give bonus/penalty to one another. Like scent of blood, or the exposure.

Do you think I am over-complicating it?
>>
>>46145163
I don't know if it will work or not, but the idea is good so far.
What I was thinking is that, the bare mechanic should be hidden from players.
Our character probably knows if enemy is gaining or losing, only if he sees/hears/smells them, but after running around hours, without any contact to pursuers, it is pretty hard to say if they have gone home or are waiting behind next tree.

Same thing with options when possible. No need to show numbers, character knows that building fire is risk, but not exactly how big or small.

Just my thoughts before bed. Hopefully other anons can offer better advice.
>>
>>46145892
I'll appreciate the input. It's all a WIP
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.