[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you guys help me out with some plot hooks in a crimson sky
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: Crimson_skies_map.png (424 KB, 1536x1038) Image search: [Google]
Crimson_skies_map.png
424 KB, 1536x1038
Can you guys help me out with some plot hooks in a crimson sky setting?
>>
>>46132202
How the hell is the ISA not bigger? They have literally EVERYTHING you need to expand
>>
>>46132202
Industrial States of America sounds kinda stupid. Why not just name it United States of America?
>>
New plane parts in X that is having Y go on at the moment and we must get them before Z so that 14 doesnt giant lightning tower.
>>
>>46132233
They're content just jewing. They supply both sides of pretty much every conflict between the US remnants. They take a very classic US station of isolationism while pumping out arms.
>>
>>46132321
Makes sense. They're still easily one of the best ones off since they have a giant breadbasket, a trade center, and a place that could be turned into an industrial powerhouse if we gave a fuck
>>
>>46132202
>Utah
>Not Deseret

Dropped.
>>
>>46132233
What is food?
>>
>>46132202
yeah heres a plot hook: hold whoever you need to for ransom to get me a new goddamn CS game
>>
>>46132893
Illinois produces the third largest amount of corn in the world if you count the states as separate entities
We also have shit tons of soybeans
>>
>>46133695
Wait. my math might have been wrong there, but illinois is still the #2 producer of corn in the US, with Minnesota and Indiana coming in at 4 and 5 respectively.
>>
>>46132874
This

I admittedly know jack shit about whatever setting this is, but it just seems like its creator balkanized the US very arbitrarily and threw some random ass names on the new countries without much regard to logic.

Why is Tennessee not part of Dixie?
Why is Maryland suddenly called Columbia for no real reason?
Why does "French Louisiana" have the exact same borders as regular Louisiana?
Why is Colorado called "Free Colorado"? Was old Colorado somehow not free?
Why is Pacifica not called Cascadia like in real life?
>>
>>46135151
Tennessee and Kentucky's powerbase in this setting is in their eastern mountainous areas which provide coal and metals. Those areas were always more politically insular and part of a shared Appalachian culture rather than the Southern identity.
>>
>>46132202
how much into an alternate history is this
>>
>>46135151
Why does Texas hold Oklahoma and not New Mexico?
Why is Virginia lumped in with the Carolinas?
>>
File: deseret.gif (11 KB, 545x448) Image search: [Google]
deseret.gif
11 KB, 545x448
>>46135151
>>46132874

As a mormon I think whoever made the map gets points for even including Utah instead of including it as part of california or texas like I normally see. Tbh not many know of Deseret or the history of the state and any game that does include them probably going to include nothing on them.

Which is a shame since a Deseret Republic using the Deseret language and holed up in the rockies like some mormon switzerland, controlling the most direct path to the west coast and making guns would be amazing.

But that's not going to happen so points to them for remembering Utah exists.
>>
>>46132233
Knowing nothing really about the setting but knowing how actual America works, I'd say a good chunk of the area they'd want to expand would be south and west - the South is the Appalachian Mountains (good fucking luck conquering them) and the West is pretty much the Great American Desert. There's not really a whole lot of room they can go without running into logistical and strategic challenges that simply may not be worth the hassle.

I'm happy that Texas is in one piece though. Nobody breaks up Texas.
>>
>>46135151

Crimson Skies was a pulp setting and created by the guys who did Battletech. Its exactly the sort of dumb bullshit you'd see in a pulp setting instead of something more well thought out.

>>46132874

Maybe the locals call it Deseret but everyone else just uses "Utah"
>>
>>46135856
>Why does Texas hold Oklahoma and not New Mexico?

I'd assume that's because New Mexico is just a shittier, run-down Old Mexico without all of the things that make Old Mexico fun.

The only possible reason we'd conquer them is for the Ogallala, but even then we'd probably stop at the border and say, "Y'all are on your own" past that.

While Texas and Oklahoma fucking despise each other IRL, it does make sense for Oklahoma to team up with Texas, because Oklahoma is extremely dependent on goods flowing south from Texas to survive, at least using current infrastructure. If they didn't join willingly, they'd be conquered anyway.
>>
File: 256568074_95981ccb89_o.jpg (83 KB, 740x600) Image search: [Google]
256568074_95981ccb89_o.jpg
83 KB, 740x600
If anyone is really curious about the setting, have an in-universe essay from one of the books about the break up of the US, with some info about the world at large.

http://pastebin.com/CBN25iyH

TL:DR A bunch of dumb, improbable things happen to create a silly setting for pulpy air pirate adventure.
>>
File: dekalark3.gif (118 KB, 151x3112) Image search: [Google]
dekalark3.gif
118 KB, 151x3112
>>46138343
>it does make sense for Oklahoma to team up with Texas,

Oklahoma didn't team up with Texas. Texas took over the Okies.

What the setting did with Canada (and Newfoundland, but since they forgot it existed) is a bit weird. Putting aside laughing at the "Republic of Quebec City" (seriously, there is a pronoun distinction between the city and the province), the idea that Canada in the 30s can operate without both Ontario and Quebec is idiotic. As is moving the capital of Ontario from Toronto to the border with a bitter enemy...
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.